False Nine

I have seen this discussed on here but haven't seen how to set my striker up as a "false 9". What player role and instructions should I use to make it work? Will other players have to be in certain roles or instructions for this to work properly?

For a start I think for a 'true' 'Flase 9' you'd have to be playing with only one player up top. I personally would say they'd have to be a trquartista or a DLF/complete forward on support duty (or that kind of mentality set up). Roaming should be ticked and RFD would be on sometimes at most. Other settings are more up to indivual preference I'd say. Teaching them the PPM "comes deep to get ball" would be probably be helpful.

As for other players, having inside forward type wingers would be helpful, perhaps an attacking central midfielder as well.

I would say a proper flase nine is a support complete forward. A false nine has to be able to:

1. lead the line

2. drop deep

3. drift wide

Who else can do this but the complete forwards of this world?

There are the obvious ones like Ibrahimovic and Berbatov. There's the little ones like Tevez and Rooney. There's the big ones likes Dzeko. You can't go wrong with these type of strikers.

Think I will most likely go with the complete forward role and try to teach him the PPM comes deep to get the ball. In theory my two inside forwards will score plenty of goals with the Attack minded midfielder chipping in with a few aswell.

I don't think the False 9 role can be set up only in one striker formations. I'm currently using a very successful 4-3-3 with three real STCs in the following order from left to right: Villa, Messi and Pedro. Villa and Pedro are set as "Complete Forward, support" with manually adjusted RFD, RWB, TTB, Crosses the same as default "Inside Forward, attack", long shots rarely and no roaming (!!!) or hold up ball (!!!). Messi is set as Trequartista (giving him slightly higher mentality than the other two) with RFD=rarely, RWB=often, LS=rarely, TTB=often and Cross=sometimes. All three have their Creative Freedom set to the lowest click of High. My team philosophy is Fluid with Attacking strategy.

What happens on the pitch with these settings is that when my team is defending, Villa and Pedro play deeper, while Messi stays up top by himself. But when my team transitions to attack, Messi drops deeper to do his damage, while Villa and Pedro make runs and play higher than him in more advanced positions. That is how I'm using a False 9 in my game.

False 9 can be set up in a one striker formation too. All you need to do is set the lone striker to Run from deep rare and give him roaming.

And HUB and lowered mentality. My False nine had RFD at mixed, and it worked perfectly.

My team is set up like this

FB CB CB FB

DM

CM CM

IF IF

STC

So by that i'm guessing my two inside forwards will end up being the more advanced players with my forward dropping shorter to play the passes to them?

Only if you adjust their settings accordingly. The IF needs high mentality and lots of forward runs. The STC needs at least lowered mentality so that he drops deep to pick up the ball.

Interesting thoughts there. So how many notches on the slider should the IF and STC be apart on mentality? At the moment my tactic is solid and I don't concede many goals but I also don't score alot either. My two IF don't tend to score too many goals although I think part of this comes down to the players in the positions. What sort of instructions will get them more goal scoring chances. Also my aCM is set on a support role as a advanced playmaker, would it be better to set him on the attack duty?

Interesting thoughts there. So how many notches on the slider should the IF and STC be apart on mentality? At the moment my tactic is solid and I don't concede many goals but I also don't score alot either. My two IF don't tend to score too many goals although I think part of this comes down to the players in the positions. What sort of instructions will get them more goal scoring chances. Also my aCM is set on a support role as a advanced playmaker, would it be better to set him on the attack duty?

What philosophy do you use and have you tweaked with the mentality of the players?

There is not much difference between the playermaker in support or attack. The only difference is that the playermaker in attack will dribble the ball more than the one in support. Support is fine. I assume your other MC is also in support?

What else do you want your lone striker to do other than just drop deep? Same for your inside forwards, do you want them to create chances and score goals or just score goals or just create chances?

Personally, I would make the playmaker on "attack" duty, just because I like to have one of each duty in my midfield trio (I'm assuming your other two is on support and defend duty.) Being on attack duty means higher mentality and more FWR as well, if I'm not mistaken. That way, when the striker drops deep to pick up the ball, he'll have the two IF out wide, and the attacking midfielder running beyond him into scoring positions.

Obviously, none of us here can tell you much more since we don't have a lot of information. I always say, go with your intuition since that is rarely wrong in this game.

Yes my holding midfielder is set with the defence duty and my other centre midfielder is set as a deep lying playmaker on support. I haven't changed any of the players mentalities and I play a control philosophy and fluid. I want my striker to score and create chances, the same goes for my inside forwards. Ideally the striker would feed passes into the IF's with them either scoring or creating chances for others. Kind of like the way the Barcelona front three work.

Archived