Closing down/standing off and "Getting stuck in"

Would it be fair to assume that the more "footballing" teams are those that don't close down so much, instead waiting patiently and letting the opposition lose possession and then breaking forward? I tried this with Man City on 2010 and it paid dividends. With Leeds on the FM11 demo, it proved a disaster!

What method do you guys prefer? I like playing a narrow game, to feet but direct with the wide players playing on the opposite side to their better foot. The only problem is....I concede too many goals, and my team has a soft centre. It's frustrating and I wish I knew how to fix it. No matter which team I use, I look susceptible at the back even with good coaches and seemingly good tactics.

I went from conceding 19 in one season with City to conceding 21 in my first 12 games o_O

Also, is it better to change away from home ie; press more at home and also, does the "getting stuck in" command improve the tackling, or is it better used with a closing down game?

Thanks in advance,

D

On the first point, no. Barcelona, in particular, is noted for closing down all over the pitch. Watch their demolition of Arsenal last year. I press more unless I am playing a much better team, in which case I assume they have the players to make my guys look stupid, but even then I may close down their weaker links via individual instructions.

I only use the get stuck in if I am being run ragged and want to disrupt the rhythm. Too much chance of ending the game with 10 men.

• 9 months later...

To the OP, I think 'positioning' has a lot to do with low pressing game. I suppose as Man City you had better players with better 'positioning' attribute, hence lot of success. As Leeds however, you didn't have players with positional superiority, hence too many goals against you.

The first point is why i think its impossible to fully emulate Barcelona in FM. The squeeze the life out of teams. Their line is so high, their pressure on the ball is so intense that they very rarely allow a team anymore then 3-4 passes on the ball. Then, once they've won possession, they keep it for a few days. I think it comes down to stat thats not active in the game. "Intensity". Barcelona when defending are frantic. Buzzing all over the place, covering passing lanes, pushing on to possible passing options whilst applying direct pressure on the player with the ball. Once they have it, everything slows down. "Tiki-Taka" takes over. In England most players are designed to play at 100mph. Pressure, win it back, charge forward, lose it, sprint back, win it back, charge forward. This normally results in lower clubs with majority English players not possessing high 'positioning' stats, resulting in the 'stand off approach' not really succeeding.

Archived