How do I prevent these two problems in my tactic?

I'm currently playing in League 1, so the standard of my players isn't particularly high but I'm pretty happy with my tactic overall. I am, however, constantly encountering two problems that I can't figure out how to prevent or counter and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

1. Players 'waiting' for the ball:

A fairly long pass will be played either along the ground or will be bouncing towards one of my players, yet he will make no effort to move towards the ball to ensure he gets there first, he will simply stand still and wait for it to arrive. Opposition players constantly sprint 20-30 yards towards my player and steal it before it gets to him. How do I force my player to move towards the ball in situations like this, or is this something out of my control and down to the players attributes?

2. Opposition throw ins creating massive holes in my formation:

If there is a throw-in about 20 yards outside of my oppositions penalty area, my three nearest players (usually the winger on that side and two central players) will occasionally create a little triangle about 10 yards around the throw-in taker. The throw-in taker will then simply throw the ball over the top of these 3 players, who are then obviously totally out of position and suddenly their midfield has a huge gaping hole to run into. How do I tell my players to stand off throw-ins that are in an area of the field where there is relatively no threat.

I'm using the tactic creator and tweaking only minor settings to match my scout's opposition report, is there an obvious setting I'm missing to prevent these mistakes? I haven't particularly enjoyed FM too much since FM07, but I'm having quite a bit of fun in this version using the Tactic Creator and don't particularly want to start using classic tactics and tinkering with sliders too much. Many thanks to anyone that can help.

Can't comment on point 1. I think this is a graphical bug as it continually happens to me on cleared corners.

In relaiton to point 2. Have you setup your throw in setpeices? You can tell you players where to stand AND what sort of a throw you want.

Regards

LAM

ps... Dont worry about appearing to 'attacking' on these throw ins, I beleive the settings are only applicable to what the game considers to be 'attacking' throwins..... ie, far enough up the pitch.

Archived