Pulling target man over to full-back

Hey, this is something I have been trying to accomplish (without much success) for a while now. Often in a match a team will look to 'target' the vertically challenged opposition full back from the kick off or long free kick by pulling their tall target man from his starting position up front to a wider position so as to challenge for the header with the smaller player. Can this be achieved in FM with any success?!

I've never tried this but I reckon the way to do it would be to set a striker to target man in the TC, but make sure his wideplay is "moves into channels".

Also, it might help if they're one of two upfront, and if they're the left striker put focus passing to down left. if on the right, focus passing down right. Also have direct passing and play wide width.

Hope that helps!

I have never tried it but I would assume you need to have direct passing, having your striker set as a target man with distribution to his head, and place him either FR or FL. Also maybe have your goalkeeper distribute the ball to him.

Would instructing your Target Man to man-mark the desired opposing full-back do the job?

Just for historical context, isn't this what the former Norway manager, Egil Olsen, used to do with Jostein Flo? A strategy that persuaded, in 1993, England manager Graham Taylor to deploy a lop-sided back 4, with disastrous consequences.

Edit: Here's me saying "former"... it seems he's their head coach once again!

Archived