[FM10] "The Lyon,The Witch and the Wardrobe"

jackripper

Ive decided to start a save in a league ive never managed before and decided to go with Lyon as they have a youthful team and were we might be favourites for domestic success i want the challenge of becoming Champions league winners which could a couple of years if its possible.

Database 10.3 no edits.

Finances

Balance £52mil

Transfer budget £8.7mil

Wage budget £850000

Wage used £741000

Club value 125mil

Media prediction 1st.

Board expect-title challenge.

My expect--title win 1st round champ lge.

Final Lyon Squad

One of the best squads in French football but short of quality on the European front. Theres a few areas that need strengthening but an £8 million transfer budget wont bring in the players i need to make a stamp on the Champions League. Players will be sold to raise funds and cut the squad size down as its also one of the biggest. My main players will be hugo Lloris my Goalkeeper, Miralem Pjanic has bags of quality and will start in the middle of the park for me and up front Lisandro who can bang in goals from virtually anywhere. A new Centre back is a must and also a Right winger possibly depending on who we sell.

Key Player

Cris is my main central defender and with not much options available in this position keeping him fit will be essential for my push in Europe. Slight worry is hes now 32 and might lose pace over the next few years, But that will hopefully leave me enough time to find a replacement.

One to Watch

19 year old AMC Miralem Pjanic will be one of the biggest names in world football and keeping him will be instrumental in his and the clubs success. He usually plays second fiddle behind Toulalan and Makoun but im going to give him his chance to shine.

Transfers

With £8 million agreed as my budget i wasnt expecting miracles and well i sent my scouts around the world hoping to bring back the next Maradonna or the next Wayne Rooney but who knows. A centre back and Right winger was my main priority.

Ins

Nicolas Otamendi

21 year old centre back fitted the bill perfectly. A promising youngster who i feel will definatly become a stalwart in my defence along side Cris. I wont be pushing him straight into the deep end but he will get his chance. Signed from Velez for £5.5 million. a bargain even at that price.

Mats Rits

Not essential for my team but glowing reports from my scouts suggest i sign what ever the price, that price was just under £1million pound from Germinal beershcoff. He is only 15 years old so one for the future definatley.

Outs

To raise funds i knew i had to sell and so Francois clerc left for spanish side Zaragoza for £1.7mill, Also on the move would be Anthony Reveilliere who brought me £5million from FC Bayern and also to pack his bags would be 15 year old Naby Sarr who unfortunalty rejected my contract offer and accepted to join Liverpool. He brought in £550k raising to possible £1.5mil.

So it Begins.....

The Qualifying draw for the Champions League was held during pre season and the footballing gods were certainly against us as we picked out Itallian giants Fiorentina. i was now happy with the squad and trimmed it down a bit moving some of the younger players into my reserves to get some match fitness instead of sitting in the first team fringes.

August 2009

Ligue 1

Le Mans 0-4 Lyon

(Govou 2, Gomis,Lopez)

Stade Leon Bollee,Le Mans. Att-14983.

We opened up the campaign with an away game to Le Mans. My first eleven would be LLoris in goals. The back four left to right would be Cissoko Bodmer Cris Lovren. The middle 2 would be Kallstrom and Pjanic with AMR Govou and AML Bastos and Gomis and Lopez the top two. This would be my main eleven throughout the season. An easy game with 2 goals from Govou, One apeice for Lopez and Gomis as we finally get the show on the road.

Ligue 1

Lyon 1-0 Valenciennes

(Govou)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-40513

One change made in the line up as Kallstrom picks up a back injury so in his place will be the classy Jeremy toulalan who will now partner alongside Pjanic. I fully expect to win this match but i warn my players about complaceny also. A maurading run down the left from Bastos finishes with a cross for govou to head us the opener. we lead at Half time 1-0 i decide to give Otamendi his debut with a swap for bodmer. Nothing else happened as we finish the game disapointed as we didnt finish them off.

Champions League Qualifier 1st leg

Fiorentina 2-0 Lyon

Artemio Franchi,florence Att- 46871

The team we didnt want is what we got and it showed as Gilardno slots open the opener as we went into half time 1-0 down. We had the away goal by Govou but unfortunatly it was disalowed as he was offside. they went straight from the attack and doubled there lead to make it 2-0 and that ended up being the final score. A bit disapointed and with it all to do at home.

Ligue 1

Auxerre 1-3 Lyon

(Lopez 2,Gomis)

Stade de L'abbe Deschamps,Auxerre Att-20132

Up next would be one of our title challengers Auxerre and we needed to avoid defeat. I would be content with a draw but obviously i wanted the win. A solo effort by Lopez opened the scoring before gomis doubled the lead from a swift counter attack from there corner. Another counter attack saw us add a 3rd through Lopez. Niculae grabbed a 89th min consolation as we take 3 points.

Champions League Qualifier 2nd leg

Lyon 0-2 Fiorentina

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-41044

We had it all to do here as we come into the game 2-0 down. I reverted to an attacking line up as we were chasing the game and if we could transform our league form into this game we should have a chance. Disaster as Gilardino scores in the 6th minute to possibly end the contest already. Mutu then puts the final nail in the coffin to make it 4-0 on Agg.

Latest News

After failing to qualify for the Champions League we would now enter the Europa cupand we pulled a tricky group with Olympiakos, Sparta Prague and Litex making the group. We should qualify as winners but some tricky away ties could be costly.

Ligue 1

Lyon 1-0 As Nancy

(Gomis)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-41044

I wanted to get that winning feeling back after such disapointment from the Fiorentina game and a lovely through ball saw Gomis open the scoringbut we didnt build from that as we take 3 points with a 1-0 win. but as they say a win is a win.

Monthly Review

A great start domestically with sees us play 4 and win 4 which sees us joint top with Stade Rennais who also have the same record and same goal difference aswell. Going out of Champions League shows were no where near winning it with the squad we got so a good run in the europa cup should help in the epxerience in europe. More of the same for the next month but a bit better in our European campaign.

Club player of Month

Sidney Govou takes the accolade as 3 goals in 6 games from the right wing helps him become the top performer in the squad. Im hoping for him to keep it up.

September 2009

Ligue 1

Lyon 3-0 FC Lorient

(Lopez,Bastos,Gomis)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-40422

Kallstrom is in the starting line up since returning from injury and Otamendi gets his first start for the club as we face Lorient at home. Govou continues his fine form with a superb assist for Lopez to score a volley inside the area. Lopez then turned provider for Bastos to slot home a one on one. A minute later and Gomis scores to mke it 3 nil with all 3 goals coming in the space of 3 minutes. We win 3-0 and take 3 points.

Latest News

I asked the board for a feeder club and they came back with Leeds Utd so that is agreed. I also request for improvement on training and youth facilities and the board agree with me. They tell me theres no option to expand the stadium as of yet.

Euro Cup Group J

Lyon 1-0 Olympiakos

(Bodmer)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-35881

We start our european campaign with my biggest contenders in the group at home. greek Side Olympiakos will be up next as we look to start with a win. Bodmer settles the nerves as he scores with a powerful effort. Govou picks up an injury which im hoping is not to serious is followed by an injury to Otamendi who has started the last 2 games. We win the match 1-0.

Ligue 1

PSG 1-4 Lyon

(Gomis 3,Lopez)

Parc De Princes, Paris Att-48527

We travelled to Paris to face rivals PSG in a tough away game especially with these being contenders for the title also. Govou and Otamendi manage to shake off there knocks and start the game. A low hard shot from Gomis puts us in the lead. Gomis then doubles his tally with a fine effort from the edge of the box. PSg manage to pull one back through Ceara. Lopez adds our 3rd. Gomis completes his hat trick and its 4-1 which is the final score.

Ligue 1

Lyon 4-0Toulouse

(Bastos 2,Kallstrom,Pjanic)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-40313

We fly out the traps and the pressure tells as we are awarded a penatly which Bastos puts away in the 4th minute. 4 minutes later he grabs his second of the game. Kallstrom scores in the 38th min before Pjanic opens his account for the season. 4-0 and the game is over. A great performance in the first half but we took our foot off the gas in the 2nd.

Monthly Review

A perfect month as we go undefeated domestically and in Europe aswell even though we only played one game. My squad is starting to gel greatly and have there full fitness at the levels i want after a slow start in terms of building match practice. We are 3 points clear at the top of the league with 7 wins in as many games. bordauex are second on 18 points with the same amount of games played. We have scored 20 goals and conceded only 2 so a solid start from my defenders and all around the pitch. We made a profit of £759k.

Player of Month

My other winger this time as Bastos takes the award with fine displays through out the month and a few goals along with the assists also compliment a great player.

October 2009

Europa Cup Group J

Litex 0-2 Lyon

(Gomis,Pjanic)

Lovech, Lovech Att-

We start the month with some European football as we travel to unknown Litex. I didnt really know what to expect as ive never really heard of them but we watched some DVD's of how they like to play and we will have to counter that. Gomis opens the scoring for us before Pjanic doubles our lead and we take 3 points with a 2-0 win.

Ligue 1

RC Lens 2-1Lyon

(Kallstrom)

Stade Felix Bollaert,Lens att-41229

Top takes on bottom now and a potential banana skin as the lads could become complacent thinking the 3 points are already in the bag, I tell them different and to keep fully concentrated on the game. A goal by Maoulida cancels out Kallstroms opener as we go into the break all square. A penatly for Lens gives them the lead which they deservdly hold onto as disaster happens as they take 3 points and we suffer our first defeat in the league. a poor performance and i let my players no it to.

Ligue 1

Lyon 1-1 Fc Sochaux

(Gomis)

Stade de Gerland,Lyon Att-40211

I wanted an instant response from that shocking perfomance against Lens and we got under way when Gomis scored from 25 yards. but on the stroke of HT they got there equalisier. A poor second half as we create very little and we share the points 1-1 it finished.

Europa Cup group J

Lyon 3-0 Sparta Prague

(Kallstrom,Govou,Otamendi)

Stade De Gerland,Lyon Att-35055

Back to Europe and a poor run in form sees me sceptical of our chances here but Kallstrom scores and Govou adds our second before a debut goal by centre back Otamendi completes the rout as we run home 3-0 winners.

Ligue 1

OCG Nice 0-2 Lyon

(Makoun,Ederson)

Stade du Ray,Nice att-14008

We desperatly needed to get back to winning ways in the League and what better place than Nice. it wasnt the best performance but 2 goals from my centre midfeilders gave us 3 points as Ederson and Makoun grab a goal apieice.

Its to much writing for me to do result by result so this will be my last update this way.

Latest News

With the new money being pumped into my transfer budget i had a look at my squad and looked to see where i am currently struggling and at the moment it seems to be the lackof quality in my back up forwards. I decided to have a scout on the England u21's, dont ask me why but i did and i chucked in an offer of £7.5million for Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck and £11.25 million for Aston Villas highly regarded Nathan Deflounso. With both players at the start of there careers they should be happy with a place on the bench the first 2 years possibly before making the trade to French football. With 4 strikers in Lopez,Gomis Welbeck and Delfounso i have a complete strike force with the latter 2 being used mostly in domestic cups. They will arive in January. I did plan a swoop for Dzeko but they demanded £30million and i signed two hot prospects for that price and with change aswell. I also attempted a bid for Zoran Tosic but they came back asking for £9million which i couldnt really afford.

January transfer window

Ins

Lorenz Cristeg

A 16 year old DMC who can also play in the middle of the park would be welcomed by fans and board alike with high hopes expected from the youngster i signed from Inter Milan for £2.5million. People might say thats quite a gamble on a 16 year old but i am positive its a gamble worth taking.

Oscar

We needed some competition for Govou who has recently cooled off his great form at the first half of the season so to freshen him up i snapped up AMR Oscar for £3.3million, Not the greatest attributes for a winger but at only 18 im sure he will improve.

Sergi

One for the future now as we sign Sergi for a whopping £100k. Definatly wirth every penny becuase even if he doesnt reach his potential surely a profit could be made and hopefully a nice one too. A true starin the making..If he wants it enough.

Outs

Jean Boumsoung started making noises in the back ground in regards to lack of first team football. He was 29 years old and needed to be playing regular football and unfortunatly for him that would not happen with Lyon. We came to an agreement with fellow title challengers Bordaux who paid £1.9million for some one valued under the £1million pound mark. I loaned out young striker Yannis Tafer to La Berrichone to gain some valuable experience. Also midfeilder Said Mehamma was loaned to FC Sochaux with a view to permenant deal for £550k. I also released 11 youth players who showed no signs of improvement and off they went to the scrap heap.

League Table

18 games into the season and we are currently joint top with bordauex on 40 points each but our goal difference putting us on top spot. A great start to the season as we fly off from the traps but around mid november we started to slack off and defeats to Lens and a few draws didnt help us as we should be around 10 points clear in my opinion but thats football and we aint.

Cups

We are currently in the 4th round of the Coupe de la Ligue 4th round and we have a tricky tie against mid table team Marseille. In the French cup we are in round 9, Yes round 9 i didnt think there could be so many rounds but we entered in this round and we face unknown team SR Colbar who i have nevr heard of.

Euro cup

We came through the group stages unscathed with some great perfomances from my team. We hit top of the group and stayed there all the way through and qualifyed with 2 games spare. We were drawn against Braga in the next round and if we win we will face the winners from Athetic bilboa or ajax so a tricky 2nd round awaits who ever we face. But first we have to make sure we get through first but im feeling confident.

Finances

Balance £31mil

Transfer budget £7.7mil

Wage budget £850000

Wage used £741000

Club value 143mil

End of Season Update

League Table

A fight to the near end as us and Bordaux battled until the last 2 games of the season. We managed to beat Auxerre and was helped when Bordaux could only draw 1-1. We were crowned champions with 1 game to spare. We could and maybe should have had it wrapped up way before but a few draw against lower half teams didnt help and next season those draws must become wins.

Key Player

With no good back up for my left back position it was vital we kept Aly Cissokho free of injury and he did well playing a mammoth 53 games in total and only missing the cup games where i could rest him when ever i had the chance. I will be looking for cover so he doesnt suffer burnout.

One to watch

An immediate impact from my youngster from Aston Villa with 7 goals in 9 games provided my strike force with a much needed boost, Especuially with Lopez suffering a few droughts. He started to get unsettled due to the french way of living but seems to be over that and it showed with his goals.

Squad

A youthful squad with some vital expereince in some areas of the sqaud. things can only get better for this lot surely. I seemed to struggle in bringing the best out of start striker Lopez and that will need to be addressed in time for next season, Especially if im going to make an attempt to get out of the group stages in the Champions League this year. Cover is needed in some areas like Left Back and possibly another winger as Oscar seems to be starting slow for me.

Cups info

Well we didnt make the Champions League group stages and after a succesful group stage we faced Braga where an 8-1 agg win put us through with some ease. Up next would be Dutch giants Ajax and after beating them 3-0 at home in the first leg we drew the second 2-2 so next up Atletico Madrid in the Quarter finals and a dismal performance in both legs see us lose them both 2-1 as we went out 4-2 on Agg. Domestically we reached the 11th round of the French cup to Havre AC in extra time as we are defeated 2-1. However in the Coupe de la Ligue we took the trophy home after beating AS Nancy comprehensively 4-1 to take the double.

(if you want screenshots just ask)

Manager Review

Specualtion regarding my future was constantly being sprung in the media with links to the Juventus,Sevilla and Valencia job on more than one occasion. I will resist any attempt and stick with my plan on lifting the Champs League with Lyon. I become Manager of the year in my debut season as we celebrate the double.

Lyon 2010/11 Start of Season

Finances

Balance £60million

Transfer budget £42million

Wage budget £850k

Wage used £745k

Club Value £168million (no debt)

Transfers Ins

Transfer screen

With a hefty budget of £42 million to play with i looked to see what quality was around via my scouting information i collected through the season. First i would spend £18million on shaktars Darijo Srna who would possibly fill my weak right back spot and cover the right wing also. Im still undecided on where he will play. But it shows we can attract the better names in football. After losing Bodmer to Barcelona i decided to replace him with future England star Jack Rodwell who could cover the middle of the park but he will start his career at the back. He cost me £16million but worth it. My scouts also recomended i check out a few youth stars (regens) and see what i thought and well one stood out, A right back from rivals PSG definatly caught my eye and was astounded at what i saw. My scouts tell me he would become a player of the highest calibre and so i offered a contract. His name would be Abdul Adeyinka and at only 15 years old this guy is going to be come something special. Not much else to write about regarding the others but just some players to fill my poor under 19s squad moere than anything.

Transfers Outs

We lost Bodmer to barcelona after they came sniffing and turned his head. I met with him and told him that Lyon would match his ambition but he stood to his word and i couldnt do anything else apart from agree a fee of £8million with Barcelona. So off he went along with John Mensah who left for £5million, Anderson, Piquonne and Jeremey Pied also left the club so in all i spent a whopping £44 million and received £17.5 million to soften the blow. I just hope my big spending pays off.

Archived