[FM10] From Torquay to top!

Deejaydoubleyou

Firstly I would like to pre-empt this post by stating that I was unaware of this part of the SI forums, hence I do not have many details of the progression of my career. But after years of playing FM/CM and finding the game so hard to get Torquay promoted up one division let alone having achieved what I have, I felt like I had to share it with someone.

I am using Version 10.2 with a small database using three leagues, England (league 2 and above), Germany (second division and above) and Spain (LIGA adelante and above). No mods or use of the editor or any change to the original game at all. I started with Torquay United, my favourite team seeing as I am originally from Cornwall, so I don't have a lot of choice!

For the first season I tried to play the game as I normally have in the past by scanning the forums for other peoples tactics and trying them with the Gulls. A mid table finish was all I could manage. Then after more reading of the various informative threads regarding how to get the most out of FM09/10 by using the roles and duties properly. Although I use the term properly very loosely, I used them the way I think is correct! :)

Given the very limited financial status of Torquay, most of my first four to five seasons were spent signing free agents and a hefty use of loan players. I was lucky enough to sign one or two players that turned out to be very good and brought attention from higher league teams. One thing I learned in the last version of the game was to not be afraid to sell good players. I've found that if the team are playing well, selling a good player has less effect on morale than if you sell him when the team is doing bad. The team feels they can handle games without him rather than berating me for selling my good players at times when we need them. Selling these players secured my financial status allowing me to upgrade the facilities, allowing me to sign better players.

As I got promoted from league 2 to league 1 I was able to sign my first 'experienced' player, Nadjim Abdou from Portsmouth. Promotion from league 1 to the Championship allowed me to sign a 33 year old Titus Bramble on a free, but I sold him in the same season to Fulham for $1.1 million. In that same season Fulham were promoted to the Premier league after finishing 1st, but right behind them in 2nd was TORQUAY!

Yes, I got Torquay promoted from league 2 with no money to the Premier league with a transfer budget of $15.5 million and a $16.5 million loan debt due to stadium expansion! In the pre season I signed two 35 year olds, Gareth Barry and Owen Hargreaves. But my story still hasn't peaked yet. My first game was against Chelsea! And I beat them 3-2... at Stamford Bridge. That's where it's peaked so far as the next two games see me lose 3-0 to Everton and 3-2 to West Brom.

But that's my career story, not that it's over. Not by a long shot. As always my goal when playing FM is to get Torquay to the Premier league, but I've never succeeded. Not even to the championship. But now I have accomplished my goal, my new one is to get Torquay to Europe. Bring it on AC, Real and Barca!

Archived