"Deflection" commentary - do you miss it?

(TL;DR version: Can we have commentary on deflections back in the match engine, please?)

One thing that I have missed from recent iterations of the match engine* was how the commentary would not if a shot or a ball was deflected. For example if a corner was deflected out for another corner it would first have the commentary about the corner, then the commentary that the ball was deflected by Player X, and then the commentary about the ball going out for another corner.

Sometimes a shot would be deflected too, and it would be noted in the commentary (one thing I used to always wish was that the commentary would combine deflections plus whatever resulted: "the shot was deflected past the touch of the goalkeeper into the back of then net!"; "the shot/cross was deflected out for a corner"; "the pass was deflected out for a corner", e.t.c, similar to the current (and deliberate) "Player X buys a throw-in off "Player Y"). The commentary would again reference the shot as usual, and then the deflection, plus whatever came next (corner, goal, goal kick, clearance from loose ball e.t.c.).

Except for some reason, that was taken out. Now if a corner is deflected out for another corner or a cross goes out for a corner, the ME simply goes (for example) "Player X crosses the ball to the far post" -> "it's a corner". This is acceptable for those of us who watch the match, but what about those players who go commentary only? What about reading the match report afterwards? Players in both of those situations are left wondering as to why there's another corner, or what happened to their shot, and so on.

I had figured this to be a mere oversight that would be corrected in FM10, but with today's release of

(WIP) on Youtube, the old commentary regarding deflections doesn't seem to have been added (yet?).

Look at

, showing a full match between Sao Paulo and Vitoria. At 4:24 in the video (71:29 in the match engine), Rodrigo Pimpão passes the ball across to Fernandão (the commentary struggles to keep up with the pace of the game), who immediately shoots on goal. "Vicious strike at the top corner by Fernandão!", says the commentary. The only problem is, the ball deflected off a player standing directly in front of him, travelling almost perpendicular to the shot, not even troubling the 18-yard box. A defender then makes it to the loose ball and clears it. The next bit of commentary after the shot is "Wallace continues with the play" (presumably because technically his teammate took a touch before him and then he took a touch before clearing it), followed immediately by "Down the left of the field", and "The ball's cleared by Wallace".

There are two problems here.

The first is for those users who still use commentary only mode (or those reading the match report post-game). For these users, the flow of commentary described above would be confusing to no end. Why is a "vicious shot" at the top corner immediately followed by someone on the opposition side supposedly "continuing the play"? Why did the shot not reach the goal line and result in a goal/goal kick/corner? Was it shot from such a tight angle that it missed the far post to such a degree that it didn't even go out of play (it's happened to all of us :p)? And if so, why was my player shooting from such a tight angle? E.t.c. e.t.c.

All that confusion would be solved by "the shot was deflected by/closed down by Player X" commentary, or similar.

The second of these problems is quite rare, and that is that the shot is deflected so soon after the shot that it actually at first is quite hard to see that it's a deflection. At first I thought it was a poor pass across the box, then I glanced down to the commentary and saw that it was a shot, at which point I thought it was a horrifically inaccurate shot until I skipped back a few seconds and watched the bit again. Again, this is quite rare, although I'm sure we've all been surprised once or twice by what we thought was a goal kick actually having been deflected for a corner.

Again, this confusion, though rare, would be solved by a simple deflection commentary.

And even if there were absolutely no "problems" resulting from a lack of commentary for deflections, it's one of those things which is nice to have. It improves the match engine in the same way that all these other little incidental commentary touches have. We don't need to know about a goal's celebration. Not having it wouldn't cause any problems, but it's nice to have. So why isn't it in there any more?

Does anyone else miss deflection commentary? Has anyone else been confused by the match engine, where deflection commentary would have removed any doubt? Has there been another thread about this issue that I've simply missed in my absence from the forums? Is it actually on the "To Do For FM10" list, and hasn't been implemented in the ME in the videos yet? Or am I just behind the times; looking back with rose-tinted glasses on things which just aren't needed?

*I can't remember if it was gone as early as FM08, but I know it was gone from FM09. I think it was still in FM08, but I can't remember for sure.

Archived