Defending Corners and Free Kicks

Hi i am having trouble defending corners and indirect free kicks i use the default settings for defending them but seem to concede a lot even though my defense is very good does anyone know any good settings you can put for helping me concede less in these situations any help will be much appreciated

I have to say that this is definately an area of the game that I'm working on, especially defending corners, although I don't concede that many and have stuck with the default settings.

As for free-kicks, I'm finding that the easiest way not to concede goals from them is not to concede too many free-kicks in danger areas in the first place. Any opposition strikers or wingers I usually always set to "easy" tackling in the opposition instructions. Sounds too simple to be true, but it does work. Also, if you're playing a high defensive line and offside trap, I find that any fouls my defenders do commit, are in the middle of the pitch and not in danger areas around the box.

Hope that helps a little. :)

For corners I use the following set up:

2 Best jumpers-headers: mark tall player.

2-3 good jumpers: mark man.

a player with high anticipation: near post

another player (usually FB): far post

DM or MCd: default. This man is supposed to pick up cleared ball near the edge of the box or close down an AI player if he has managed to pick up the ball.

At least 2 players (fastest, usually wingers) - stay forward.

The remaining player - depends on his position. If it's ST - stay forward. If MC - back.

Works fine, but of course you have to have at least decent players. If your best jumper has 12 for jumping, then tough luck...

• 1 month later...

i have used the settings described above but still concede from corners.

the problem is taht the AI has a men lurking outside the area and my DM doesnt mark him or close him down, he puts the ball back into the area and they score.

any idea how to man mark/close down AI player lurking outside area?? (i have tried man mark and default in corner setting but neither have worked).

The best defence seems literally to be lots of players with good jumping and height combined to aggression, anticipation and marking.

Outjumping players is one part of defending corners but you also need to be able to reach the ball first and I think low anticipation and aggression and bravery are key elements in some of those goals conceded that you think you should easilly defend.

Archived