FM09 Official Cheltenham Town Thread - Walking down the Whaddon Road!

jssy!

Cheltenham Town FC

Founded in - 1887

Nickname - The Robins

Stadium - Whaddon Road - Capacity of 7066 with terracing and seating

Chairman - Paul Baker - a local businessman - feels he would never leave the club he loves

Captain - John Finnigan

Current Manager - Martin Allen

Cheltenham Town did have the 8th richest man in english football in the board up until Jan 09 when he resigned from the board to pursue other interests.

Cheltenham Town were promoted from the southern premier to the alliance premier league (now the conference national league) in 1935 and then were relegated again. They then hovered around these leagues for many years.

In 1996/97 player Steve Cotterill took on the reins and was player manager for a while before retiring from football and concentrating on coaching. Cheltenham finished runner up in the Dr martens league and were subsquently promoted as the Gresley Rovers who finished top didnt have the correct facilities. In 1998/99 Cheltenham Town won the conference and were promoted to the football league first time in there history. After two mid table finishes in div 3, Cotterill guided Cheltenham to div 2 in 2001/02 season. Cotterill moved on to be Stoke City manager. Cheltenham went back down to Division 3 and then got promoted again under John Ward and are now in League 1 since then.

Relegation scraps every year at this club with a real lack of resources. Your have to guide them to safety with just 100k. Not an easy task as wages are low as well. A real challenge.

Notable Players include:

The great Andy Gray!

Kayode Odejayi

Grant Mccann

Brian Wilson

Jamie Victory

Steven Gillespie

Cheltenhams Team

Gk - Shane Higgs - Scott Brown - Will Puddy

LB - Alan Wright - Lee Ridley - Craig Armstrong

RB - Andy Lindegaard - Andy Gallinagh

CB - Shane Duff - Darren Kenton - Gavin Caines - Michael Townsend - Drissa Diallo

RM - Andy Lindegaard - Josh Low - Ashley Vincent

LM - Scott Brown - Damian Spencer - Joel Ledgister

CM - John Finnigan - David Bird - Alex Russell - Ben Gill

FW - Damian Spencer - Lloyd Owusu - Elvis Hammond - Paul Conner

Sorry for the poor quality of some areas, however i saw no one had made a Cheltenham Town thread so thought i would try and take matters into my own hands. Feel free to ask any more questions about the club, as i may have missed bits out.

Cheers,

Jssy

I have started a save with cheltenham but i am on the original patch so don't have the likes of hammond or diallo. At the start I said I would avoid relegation so got 100K to spend and 29.5K to spend on wages. I won my first game 1-0 against huddersfield and just beat charlton 2-0 in the league cup. My transfers are:

IN

Seyfo Soley-free

Mascio-35K

Diego Ribera-free

Fabio-loan

Steeve Theophile-free

Yassine Manar-free

Pluchino Galuppo-10K

Josep Manel Ayala-free

Miguel Cevasco (JAN)-free

Miguel Rebosio (JAN)-free

OUT

Scott Brown (midfield)-40K

Aarron Ledgister-loan

Lee Ridley-20K

Craig Armstrong-loan

Andy Gallinagh-loan

In :

Robbie fowler (20k), fredrick lunjberg (spelt wrong, sorry!), ronnie wallwork. shelton mathis, kiki mizuno

Also verious loans:

Fabio from man utd,

jack collision from west ham,

many other short term loans, have starte the max 5 loanees in every game

out: (almost everyone bar owusu)

atm im 10th and just entering the jan transfer window in my first season, bringing in junior and rocco quinn.

I think once a formation is sorted and some solid defenders are brought in it shouldnt be too hard to finish mid table. Im so glad there is a ctfc thread

• 11 months later...

Managed to grab promotion first season with 10.2 patch. Couple of loan signings from Southampton made the difference, plus the other odd free here and there. Resigned Scott Brown on a free to play as a deep-lying playmaker, too.

Making a decent fist of League One now, certainly shouldn't be straight back down. I'm hoping for Champions League football in under 10 years.

Archived