Just starting out: Big Team or Small Team?

I've long fallen into the trap of getting sports games, playing a powerful team, and finding the game too easy (Imagine that! Better players=easier game!). So with FM (and with FIFA before it) I've started with Grasshopper in the Swiss league; the league isn't a cakewalk, it's not the best team in the league, but they face a good mix of difficulty and I figure I can "cut my teeth" there and actually learn the fundamentals of the game.

However, I'm having amazing trouble getting performances out of my team. This is my first year playing FM (technically it's WSM, being that I'm stateside), so I think I'm at the very shallow end of a very steep curve. In general, is it better to learn how to play with a bigger team that has better players? Or is it more recommended to start small and grow?

I've long fallen into the trap of getting sports games, playing a powerful team, and finding the game too easy (Imagine that! Better players=easier game!). So with FM (and with FIFA before it) I've started with Grasshopper in the Swiss league; the league isn't a cakewalk, it's not the best team in the league, but they face a good mix of difficulty and I figure I can "cut my teeth" there and actually learn the fundamentals of the game.

However, I'm having amazing trouble getting performances out of my team. This is my first year playing FM (technically it's WSM, being that I'm stateside), so I think I'm at the very shallow end of a very steep curve. In general, is it better to learn how to play with a bigger team that has better players? Or is it more recommended to start small and grow?

I'd say go BIG

Playing with the big teams, does help to get the hang of the tactical side of the game.Playing later with smaller/weaker teams ,you're more aware of the modifications needed, baring in mind the class differences of your players.I've been playing this game,(starting with the CM series) for a long time and it was always my habit to start with the lower leagues.FM2009 is the first game I've started with a BIG team and I'm loving it. I'm playing with Man City.Oh! BTW, I wouldn't advise starting with any of the big 4.

Playing with the big teams, does help to get the hang of the tactical side of the game.Playing later with smaller/weaker teams ,you're more aware of the modifications needed, baring in mind the class differences of your players.I've been playing this game,(starting with the CM series) for a long time and it was always my habit to start with the lower leagues.FM2009 is the first game I've started with a BIG team and I'm loving it. I'm playing with Man City.Oh! BTW, I wouldn't advise starting with any of the big 4.

If you are starting with Automatic, International, Ex Pro experience then bigger clubs are better but you can still have an enjoyable time starting in something like the Conference or League Two

If you go Semi Pro or Sunday League then i would suggest lower lragues as you should get the time to build things up. Thats if your not taking charge of one of the promotion chasers straight off.

Archived