Bringing on Youth

- Good Training facilities

- Good coaches

- Good training schemes

- Player needs to have good Natural Fitness generally. Also the hidden attributes like "Sportmanship", "Professionalism" etc plays a role.

- I also believe that "Squad personally" & "morale" have an impact. When many players are similar like him he feels at home and he'll develop faster.

- Man Management could have an impact as well, but i'm not sure about this. But if you play him and treat him right (Team Talk etc), he'll likely do better as well.

Somehow some players develop really fast in my squad, and some, allthough they have great potential just don't develop. I think this also has to do with mental differences between players.

If i have the feeling a player isn't progressing as he should i try to link him with a player, tutoring, which could result in the kick-start of his development. But sometimes can have adverse effect as well, but as long he's not developing anyway, it's a low risk :)

What i've noticed as well is that a youngster who plays a lot of matches can stop developing. Mostly because of the pressure, public expectation etc, so bring him gently. Give him some rest now and then or keep players out of the line-up if he has a drop in form. Most of the time it results in renewed motivation. I think this depends on his mentality. A "lazy" player may think he's already there.

For instance:

I bought Vincent Ortega. Started well, next season even better, but noticed he stopped developing (used a tool to check development behaviour).

This season he's out of the first squad and guess what, he's developing again at an impressive rate. Probably determined to get his spot in the first 11 back.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in my 5th season with Elche CF, whom I brought from Segunda División to UEFA Cup semifinals, when I acquired 2 young players (18 and 19 years old) from South America. They were both listed as "wonderkids." I had an army of 7-star coaches, top notch training facilities but their skills just weren't going up. In fact, in the second year of their presence on my team some of their skills began going down, which resulted in their potential going down to 6 stars. They were also both starters on my team and getting called up to their respective national teams. The 18-year old scored 20 goals in his first year, but began struggling in the second year. What could be the reason?

DynamoKiev1986:

You probably "burned them out"...They haven"t been able to progress because you play them to much-too early in their career, and also remember that they probably played matches and travelled for U-21.

Their mental stats probably raised quickly though, because they already had played as many games as other older players have done in their entire career.

That has happend to me also many times..before i understood that they need rest also to grow !!

If their physical stats are excellent i play them more than i normally would.

It would be a good idea to let them play the last 30 minutes, and whole matches occasionally.

Look at how their fitness are ....

What i wonder is : How do people train their younger players in FM (15-19 years) ?

More physical or technical compared to older players ? Workload ?

Archived