Counter attacking mentality?

From my experience it's better to use defensive mentality...cause in that way you will "invite" opponent players to your half...and than you can storm to their half via quick counter.

But for me it's no question should I play attacking or defensive, for me the Q is when to employ counter-attack. There is no use to play on counter if opponent is defending heavily cause you will rush attacs or is completely underdog cause in that way you will give them more possesion.

I use it only when I play against better team or when opponent team (no matter what quality) is heavily attacking. You can see that by watching positions of their players and if you see all their players deep on your half including their fullbacks.

Actually every formation i've build so far started out with a counter attack style, and yet, everytime i find out using no counter attack option works much better.

I don't get it ... in my experience counter attack is completely useless, while in previous FM's it could really have an impact.

I've had way more counter attacks having CA unticked then when having it on.

Actually every formation i've build so far started out with a counter attack style, and yet, everytime i find out using no counter attack option works much better.

I don't get it ... in my experience counter attack is completely useless, while in previous FM's it could really have an impact.

I've had way more counter attacks having CA unticked then when having it on.

YES, YES and YES.

It's my conclusion also.

In FM 2008 and especially in FM2007, counter attacs were so deadly.

In this version you invite much more pressure on yourself when you are plying on counter.

I found it's better to lower your mentality a bit and to set your passing to direct and tempo to quick without ticking counter attack option.

Definitely better to go for defensive mentality or at least a lower normal mentality.

Also, the main thing I find with counter-attacking is that it's far more effective with high tempo. I used to think tempo had to mirror time wasting, so for the more defensive tactics in my set, I'd set the tempo low and the time wasting high. This meant though that the low tempo wouldn't work well with counter-attack which I really wanted to use with my defensive formations but couldn't.

But I've realised that it's OK to use high tempo with all my sets, even the defensive ones which enables me to now tick counter-attack, and it works a treat.

With tempo, I think as the game suggests, it's all to do with the country you're playing in and nothing to with how defensive or attacking your set-up is. So in England, a high tempo game even in a defensive formation with high time wasting is the way to go. This is backed up with the feedback telling you certain players are used to playing at a higher or lower tempo than you've set them to. It's all cultural I believe.

In theory then, the way I used to play in defensive formations with slow tempo, high time-wating and counter attack unticked, would work great in Italy but I'm yet to try this. But because of the footballing culture over there, you'd have to stick with the slow tempo even in your more attacking formations, but simply lower the time-wasting.

Anyway, one more thing about counter-attacking in general, I find you don't have to play direct if you don't want to, short or normal passing work fine too, as long as your tempo is high and your mentality defensive to low-normal. The only thing that affects my passing style is the weather.

Yeah....from this version I saw that you don't have to play direct tempo for counter to be succsesfull, as long as you play quick. Even more, I have a lot of succses playing short with quick tempo...

About culture...I don't believe it have significant influence on tactics.

Archived