Psu

on a 6600? was that a GTX or Special edition or something. Thought only 6800 required that.

But there are always converters for using the normal "ide" powerconnections.

Nope standard Saphire, although it was active cooling and a GT, I did see some with passive that probably don't need aux and never saw a normal 6600. So you are almost certainly better informed than me. :)

So lets start again,

For RAM:

I need 2.5v DDR 1 400 mhz or DDR 3200

2 x 1gb sticks - Non ECC

For Graphics Card:

GeForce 6200 256MB DDR2 64Bit AGP Graphics Card - This would work - DEFO???? - Without a knew PSU?

What else do i need to know again?

So lets start again,

For RAM:

I need 2.5v DDR 1 400 mhz or DDR 3200

2 x 1gb sticks - Non ECC

For Graphics Card:

GeForce 6200 256MB DDR2 64Bit AGP Graphics Card - This would work - DEFO???? - Without a knew PSU?

What else do i need to know again?

Wait on Butters. 6600 will be a much better buy if its compat.

:thup:

That is correct, though it doesn't matter if it is 2.6V some of them are, but they will work fine too.

Yes it will defo work. Although I would look for a 6600.

Perhaps you have a friend with a GF 6-series card you could persuade to upgrade and you buy his card for a small sum :)

I do it the other way around, when I'm about to upgrade I ask my firends if they want to buy some of my old stuff. And they always do :)

Cheers but anything else?

That thing you were saying in post 28 - i really don't understand what you mean?

In post 28 he was talking about running recovery on your PC, (reinstalling a fresh install of WinXP from a image on a hidden partition of your HDD). This is not something you have to do as you are not changing chipset or anything. All you'll need to do is installing the drivers for the new GFX card.

Allthough a reinstall/recovery is adviced now and then, depends on how much crap you install and uninstall on the PC.

Damn insane prices on GF6600 in UK, For some wierd reason they charge £100-£200 for 6600. Thats more than good cards in todays standard.

In norway you get them for £35-40. So you might want to go for a 6200 anyway.

Theres always ebay, but buying such an old card used is scary.

In your case very much so. You only have 512mb -32mb used for current gfx chip. Xp want over 512mb alone, at this time you are paging alot from HDD as the computer has to clear and fill the little memory you have all the time.

Also, I think you only have PC-2100 (266mhz) atm and with 2GB PC-3200 (400Mhz) you will get a significant speed boost, specially in memory hungry apps like FM.

Archived