Staff alternative role discussions/wage indication

I would like to request the option to discuss a staff member's wage depends for an alternative non preferred role. Currently I do not have any idea what a staff member would want financially for an alternative role. For example, they may be the perfect Head of Youth Development, but have limited interest in the role. I want to be able to suggest this role and them give me a rough idea of wages before entering discussions. Currently, you have to offer absurd money with no idea if they will accept or simply terminate negotiations instantly. This isn't realistic - at the very least, they should come back and say "I have no interest at all in that role, but here's what I want for X role" or "I would need X as I have a minimal interest in this type of work".

Them stopping the conversation makes staff negotiations very painful. This could also assist with changing existing staff roles. I often want to keep existing staff members but find them becoming obsolete as my club grows. I would like to be able to open a discussion re changing their roles without facing the same issue discussed.

4 hours ago, KaizenFM said:

I would like to request the option to discuss a staff member's wage depends for an alternative non preferred role. Currently I do not have any idea what a staff member would want financially for an alternative role. For example, they may be the perfect Head of Youth Development, but have limited interest in the role. I want to be able to suggest this role and them give me a rough idea of wages before entering discussions. Currently, you have to offer absurd money with no idea if they will accept or simply terminate negotiations instantly. This isn't realistic - at the very least, they should come back and say "I have no interest at all in that role, but here's what I want for X role" or "I would need X as I have a minimal interest in this type of work".

Them stopping the conversation makes staff negotiations very painful. This could also assist with changing existing staff roles. I often want to keep existing staff members but find them becoming obsolete as my club grows. I would like to be able to open a discussion re changing their roles without facing the same issue discussed.

I slightly increase their salary and then suggest them a new contract in the new role. If a staff wishes for 6 000 as a regular wage in his preferred role, then I will give him a 5% or 10 % increase in new role and wait for his response, meaning I offer 6 300 or 6 600 for the staff. If I only wish him to work in a certain role, I will lock that role. If their demands are then unreasonable I walk away.

I have nothing about the idea where you can interact with the staff and convince him to work for a certain role, but I don't think discussing about his wage before entering a contract is actually needed, none of the staff have an agent, meaning their contract wage demands should be talked face-to-face during contract negotiations.

18 hours ago, Enzu225 said:

I slightly increase their salary and then suggest them a new contract in the new role. If a staff wishes for 6 000 as a regular wage in his preferred role, then I will give him a 5% or 10 % increase in new role and wait for his response, meaning I offer 6 300 or 6 600 for the staff. If I only wish him to work in a certain role, I will lock that role. If their demands are then unreasonable I walk away.

I have nothing about the idea where you can interact with the staff and convince him to work for a certain role, but I don't think discussing about his wage before entering a contract is actually needed, none of the staff have an agent, meaning their contract wage demands should be talked face-to-face during contract negotiations.

Thanks for the response. My point is that they often shut down discussions following what you say you do. I will lock in a role and offer much more via wage. Even with "medium" level interest, a say 20% pay increase may still mean they walk away instantly. Having no indication and having to wait weeks to then reopen negotiations seems flawed to me and is not how real life negotiations work at all. I don't get offended with my boss and slam the door and walk out immediately, I come back with a rebuttal offer.

At the very least, if I could lock in the target role and have them suggest their wage to give some sort of indication to start discussions.

4 hours ago, KaizenFM said:

Thanks for the response. My point is that they often shut down discussions following what you say you do. I will lock in a role and offer much more via wage. Even with "medium" level interest, a say 20% pay increase may still mean they walk away instantly. Having no indication and having to wait weeks to then reopen negotiations seems flawed to me and is not how real life negotiations work at all. I don't get offended with my boss and slam the door and walk out immediately, I come back with a rebuttal offer.

At the very least, if I could lock in the target role and have them suggest their wage to give some sort of indication to start discussions.

Yes, if their job interest is at least 50% (yellow half circle) then they should at least consider the job offer even if they would ask for unreasonable wages or other unrealistic clauses. If they simply walk away from negotiations then the 50% interest may as well be 0 interest.