Help finding an old classic

reerdo

I have looked through the archives, run searches here and Google and am at a complete blank for a story I remember from a long time back, maybe 15 or so years ago, that I am trying to remember the name to see if I can hunt it down for a re-read.

It was my opening into the world of FM stories and I remember it being set in eastern Europe and I have recollections of cabbages being involved in the story being that for payment of wages or thrown at the players for poor performances, along with an assistant manager who very much did not like the manager the story is written about. It was a very bleak  managerial career but at the same time such a colorful story lead description of the game that was so different to the 'game update' threads I have always read before.

Any help will be much appreciated.

When the forum migrated onto this forum quite a few stories were deleted by error.

Can you remember the name at all about the story and have you changed username since

Mark

Ah that might be why I can't seem to find something that triggers a memory even looking through the whole list, thank you.

I will see if anything else comes back to me that might give me a name or something, but so far I just have memories of turnips and cabbages and it being so story driven at such a small depressed team from a really drab village.

Posted (edited)

So I decided to take a different approach tonight to try and jog my memory and with the help of Wikipedia have gone through lists of clubs in every Eastern European country until finally when looking through the list for Serbia the team was there like a lightbulb moment . . . Novi Sad. 

A quick Google search with that new bit of info lead me to this post by Guido on his site referencing the story, Litany of Filth, in question written under the pseudonym Vic Flange. 

I was mistaken that I had read it on here originally and must have read it on The Dugout. Now to read it again as saved on Guidos site.  

And thank you @EvilDave even though it ended up not being the story you helped with I am definitely adding it to my list to read. 

Edited by reerdo
Spelling