In a non-one club save, is it rational to apply for jobs?

So, when you play like non-league to legend type of save or the like - is it ever rational to apply for jobs? If yes, when?

I ask because I am starting to doubt whether it is ever rational. My own experience, plus what I have read on the topic so far, suggests that you should perhaps stay at the same club for a least two years no matter what. And besides, my impression is that it is generally hard to find a job that is a clear upgrade on what you have.

That is, unless you just wait untill someone approaches you. My impression is that the level of job offers you get when you are approached is generally much higher than if you apply yourself. Applying for jobs might be detrimental to your wish to climb the ladder. You may get a reputation as an untrustworthy job hunter.

But I don't know, I am not particularly experienced regarding this.

what do you think?

4 hours ago, danej said:

Applying for jobs might be detrimental to your wish to climb the ladder. You may get a reputation as an untrustworthy job hunter.

Of course, play the game how you enjoy it. I enjoy a good journeyman save myself. However, applying for jobs that aren't real possibilities is probably more detrimental than hopeful for that very reason. In my experience, give it at least a year if not two at a job to establish yourself and grow your reputation.

I don't think your chances of getting bigger jobs is affected by whether you apply or if you are approached.  However, it can be difficult to gauge the sort of jobs you might be able to get so waiting to be approached is definitely easier and like Dan says it is usually unrealistic to start applying to better jobs until you have had at least a year probably two.  It can help to pay attention to the news items after someone gets fired to see if you are listed in the contenders for the job, but mostly I use my reputation (stars) and the clubs reputation to decide if I have a vague chance.  Bearing in mind its easier to get jobs in the same nation you are from/are currently managing in