FM23 - Union Berlin - Tactical Help Please

Hi all,

Currently playing as Union Berlin in FM23; after a solid start to the 2022/23 season, we hit a slump around February, lost ten of our last 16 games in all competitions, and that trend has continued into the 2023/24 season, where we've won just two of eleven games so far this season (and one of those was a cup game versus a third tier opposition...).

As has been discussed on here before, the computer will adapt if you play the same way all the time - I have tried to be mindful of this in my FM saves, but fear I have ended up tying myself in some knots trying to fix my Union team (too may changes, bad changes), so here I am asking for the collective to help me untangle things.

This is where my primary tactic from last season is now; my VOL was playing a little higher (CM rather than DM) and as a DLP before, so this is part of my attempt to fix things.

image.thumb.png.9ab4354dc5bb251150b731474adf4500.png

I have also experimented a little and had the following formation:

image.thumb.png.f38211d5b8c6e356c67c9b8203b3d835.png

I also tried to go back to an old favourite 4-2-3-1, but again I am missing something somewhere and it's fallen flat for me:

image.thumb.png.94ee8769f7f2bde424849aafa5cc29a2.png

We're struggling to score, and struggling to defend right now - we've conceded a large number of goals late in game (after 75 minute mark) and it's cost us a number of points.

Any help appreciated - I've got inside my own head a bit with this one now, and am losing my way with it quite badly :D 

EDIT TO ADD: I know some players are out of position in screenshots, I just switched by the tactics and took a screen grab to demo the tactic itself.

Edited by duff33

I've been struggling with similar formations and tactics. Given the Balanced mentality and the bulk of players naturally deeper, Low Block may be too deep? I've suffered defensively every time I've tried Low Block.

(I'll be watching this thread for more help!)

I play a low block on balanced mentality with a 3 at the back system and have had decent success.

I find adjusting the defensive line is really important. Lower, Standard and Higher depending on the level of the opponent and how they look to attack you.

I also close down any wide attacking players as I find if they run at my defense it causes them to back off and condense too much.

Trap outside works well if you have good wingbacks as they make lots of interceptions.

Edit: I find the play out from the back instruction unnecessary on lower mentalities, especially in deeper formations where there are already plenty of short passing options.

Edited by Fraser.

I'd like to say I found a solution to this, but ultimately I just went back to the classic 4-3-3DM primary tactic, then 4-2-3-1 as my second choice setup. Won seven of our last ten to help us achieve a solid midtable position. Rolling with that into 2024/25 season and we're 7th after eight games; still not rock solid defensively but it feels much healthier overall. Especially with being able to quickly switch between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 during a match if we want to mix it up a bit more.