Why Do Set Piece Attributes Decline For So Many Players?

Am I doing something wrong? Quite a few players in my team have rapidly declining set piece attributes. I am a full time club and run one set piece training session per week. My set piece coach has a rating of 13. I have good training facilities. 

Screenshot 2024-03-03 174040.png

Edited by TheMattB81

Notice what the Routine actually says. The bit in pink:

image.png.224731d3f914c512ab27a8ed62177fc6.png

I noticed those drops myself but never anything so drastic. But I see it as a positive thing for anyone who isn't going to be a set piece taker.

From videos I've seen online, using "Free Kick Taking" or "Corner Taking" additional focuses is effective.

Regular set piece takers will not suffer such drastic drops in those attributes. I don't know if that's purely thanks to the Set Piece Routine in training or if actually taking set pieces in matches also helps.

Edited by AntSou

3 minutes ago, AntSou said:

Notice what the Routine actually says. The bit in pink:

image.png.224731d3f914c512ab27a8ed62177fc6.png

I noticed those drops myself but never anything so drastic. But I see it as a positive thing for anyone who isn't going to be a set piece taker.

From videos I've seen online, using "Free Kick Taking" or "Corner Taking" additional focuses is effective.

Regular set piece takers will not suffer such drastic drops in those attributes. I don't know if that's purely thanks to the Set Piece Routine in training or if actually taking set pieces in matches also helps.

Sorry can you clarify what you mean? I understand set piece training to be the players practising free kicks, corners, etc. Are you saying running this training will hurt these attributes?

10 minutes ago, TheMattB81 said:

Sorry can you clarify what you mean? I understand set piece training to be the players practising free kicks, corners, etc. Are you saying running this training will hurt these attributes?

Sorry, I meant it only affects players practicing set pieces. You said you have "quite a few players" dropping in those attributes, I assumed you were referring to players not actually taking set pieces. Is that not the case for the player in the picture?

If you wish to increase those attributes, there's a couple of videos on the internet which tested the different "Additional Focus" and found Free Kick Taking and Corner Taking to be effective.

I believe those attributes stop growing at a very early age (20 or whatever), and it requires specific focus for them to develop. I'll try to find the video.

Edited by AntSou

9 minutes ago, AntSou said:

Sorry, I meant it only affects players practicing set pieces. You said you have "quite a few players" dropping in those attributes, I assumed you were referring to players not actually taking set pieces. Is that not the case for the player in the picture?

If you wish to increase those attributes, there's a couple of videos on the internet which tested the different "Additional Focus" and found Free Kick Taking and Corner Taking to be effective.

I believe those attributes stop growing at a very early age (20 or whatever), and it requires specific focus for them to develop. I'll try to find the video.

Oh, wow, so if it only affects the players set to individually practice set pieces it almost seems like a waste of a session for the rest of the squad. That's daft if that is indeed the case.

Yes, that player is a deep lying playmaker who doesn't practice set pieces. I was under the impression that running the set piece training would benefit the whole squad.

I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal but I don't like seeing so many players with such a decline in set pieces. 

3 minutes ago, TheMattB81 said:

Oh, wow, so if it only affects the players set to individually practice set pieces it almost seems like a waste of a session for the rest of the squad. That's daft if that is indeed the case.

Yes, that player is a deep lying playmaker who doesn't practice set pieces. I was under the impression that running the set piece training would benefit the whole squad.

I guess it wouldn't be such a big deal but I don't like seeing so many players with such a decline in set pieces. 

Using those Routines before a match gives you a boost in matches. Supposedly.

This was not the video I watched, but he finds the same for 24 year olds. Notice how the set piece attributes do not improve unless when they are specifically trained.

image.png.ecd4d70de4f7b39799fd993e235abf13.png

Finally, the player Potential Ability dictates the maximum a player can grow to (it's hidden). I'm not certain but I think Free Kicks and Corners also have an "Ability" cost, thus the fact those are dropping releases space for other more important attributes to grow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, AntSou said:

Using those Routines before a match gives you a boost in matches. Supposedly.

This was not the video I watched, but he finds the same for 24 year olds. Notice how the set piece attributes do not improve unless when they are specifically trained.

image.png.ecd4d70de4f7b39799fd993e235abf13.png

Finally, the player Potential Ability dictates the maximum a player can grow to (it's hidden). I'm not certain but I think Free Kicks and Corners also have an "Ability" cost, thus the fact those are dropping releases space for other more important attributes to grow. Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'll check out the video. Funnily enough, the people that regularly take my set pieces (even though I don't individually train them on set pieces) don't seem to drop as significantly as my other players that don't typically take set pieces. 

Edited by TheMattB81

Just now, TheMattB81 said:

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. I'll check out the video. Funnily enough, the people that regularly take my set pieces (even though I don't individually train them on set pieces) don't see to drop as significantly as my other players.

I never use the Free Kick/Corner individual focus for my actual takers. They tend to be older players who grow slowly anyway. I use a single Set Piece Routine per week and that seems to be enough to prevent the stat from dropping.

I use the Free Kick/Corner individual focus for younger players (20-26) who have the potential to be good takers in the future but not quite good enough yet, so that they can eventually replace my current takers when those retire.