How do I get the best out of my striker and/or improve my tactic overall? [FM23]

Hello everyone. 

The topic describes my problem. Despite my team's performance, I feel like we could be doing better. 

I want my strikers to help (a bit) in the buildup, but also be my main source of goals as they have the highest finishing stats. It just feels like they aren't doing enough. I have cycled between different roles, CF, AF, TF, PF, and Poa (Pf and Poa worked well last season, till the goals started drying up - Poa was quite inconsistent). Still, I don't seem to be getting the results I want (to be fair, I find it hard to spot issues and happenings during the game).

I also sometimes feel that we struggle to create quality chances sometimes.

My questions are; what striker role would do what I am looking for considering my tactic? And how can I make this tactic even better in terms of goals and chances created?

Thank you all in advance!FootballManager202328_02_202412_34_54.thumb.png.977590b664814863ca1d04ac5d82fd06.pngFootballManager202328_02_202412_57_40.thumb.png.7c8a1df7b55cd50e671f4b782f9aaef6.pngFootballManager202328_02_202412_58_17.thumb.png.79441d29f439ccd8072c77f2ddc550fd.pngFootballManager202328_02_202412_56_07.thumb.png.209470a302d0ae192b6dc902acae3964.png

From my (maybe limited) experience.

Target Forward -  Uses physicality. Good in air. Knocks down ball to teammates. Doesn't run with the ball. 

Makes more attacking runs on attack duty. 

Pressing forward (previously defensive forward) - Pins opposition back. Presses backline. Holds up ball. Can run with ball. 

Have them move into channels if you want them to pack an extra scoring punch , but also know that they won't be in buildup as much and will need to be found with good passes. 

The Pressing forward can "play a bit" ie, more intricate passing and short plays. 

The target forward suits direct football. 

Both players can play both roles so pick the one that suits your formation and tactical choice. 

a tip : looking at your formation it might help you to create more opportunities for your dorwards from deep crosses ad you have two WBs in your side. 

2 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

You could try a DLP(A) and hold shape to underline the possession approach. But I‘d try AF or Poacher and the IF on support.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm curious though, why would you pick those forward roles over say, TMatt or PFat? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it. Also, would I need to change the Mez to an attack role for an additional goal threat?

2 hours ago, DownTheFrank said:

From my (maybe limited) experience.

Target Forward -  Uses physicality. Good in air. Knocks down ball to teammates. Doesn't run with the ball. 

Makes more attacking runs on attack duty. 

Pressing forward (previously defensive forward) - Pins opposition back. Presses backline. Holds up ball. Can run with ball. 

Have them move into channels if you want them to pack an extra scoring punch , but also know that they won't be in buildup as much and will need to be found with good passes. 

The Pressing forward can "play a bit" ie, more intricate passing and short plays. 

The target forward suits direct football. 

Both players can play both roles so pick the one that suits your formation and tactical choice. 

a tip : looking at your formation it might help you to create more opportunities for your dorwards from deep crosses ad you have two WBs in your side. 

Thanks for the tip! How do I encourage deep crosses from my WBs as you suggested? Is it by hitting earlier crosses?

1 minute ago, ceslide said:

Thanks for the tip! How do I encourage deep crosses from my WBs as you suggested? Is it by hitting earlier crosses?

Wanted to add that the Pressing forward suits shorter passing /buildup play and the Target forward suits more direct play. 

The CF is also a good option for Big target forwards but it mostly suits a big, physical but creative forward. 

Deep crosses -  play out defense, hit early crosses Team instruction

You can also check between your BBM and MeZ, which one of them has better attacking attributes and change them to an attacking duty to add an extra attacking dimension. 

5 minutes ago, DownTheFrank said:

Wanted to add that the Pressing forward suits shorter passing /buildup play and the Target forward suits more direct play. 

The CF is also a good option for Big target forwards but it mostly suits a big, physical but creative forward. 

Deep crosses -  play out defense, hit early crosses Team instruction

You can also check between your BBM and MeZ, which one of them has better attacking attributes and change them to an attacking duty to add an extra attacking dimension. 

I see... It sounds like the PF is what I need after all. I'll still experiment with the Poacher and AF as @HanziZoloman suggested. Thanks again! I'll try the suggestions.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb ceslide:

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm curious though, why would you pick those forward roles over say, TMatt or PFat? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning behind it. Also, would I need to change the Mez to an attack role for an additional goal threat?

When I look at your set up it seems you are trying to keep the ball and move the opponent around to create chances. The TF(A) attracts the ball much and players will try and find him maybe too early in the build up, long balls and crosses. The DLF(A) will move back taking a CD with him and creating space for the IF. 
The PF(A) could be a good option too, but is not creating the space as the DLF does. Beto suits that role well, on support duty the PF drops a bit deeper which could help. 
The poacher stays quiet and waits for chances to come from the players around him who are moving the ball finding holes in the opponent defence. 
the AF will do it for himself, that’s maybe not what you want. 
bit you‘re 5th with Crystal Palace, that’s already very good, seems you are doing most things right.

Edited by HanziZoloman

18 hours ago, HanziZoloman said:

When I look at your set up it seems you are trying to keep the ball and move the opponent around to create chances. The TF(A) attracts the ball much and players will try and find him maybe too early in the build up, long balls and crosses. The DLF(A) will move back taking a CD with him and creating space for the IF. 
The PF(A) could be a good option too, but is not creating the space as the DLF does. Beto suits that role well, on support duty the PF drops a bit deeper which could help. 
The poacher stays quiet and waits for chances to come from the players around him who are moving the ball finding holes in the opponent defence. 
the AF will do it for himself, that’s maybe not what you want. 
bit you‘re 5th with Crystal Palace, that’s already very good, seems you are doing most things right.

I thought about using him as a support role too, but I was worried he won't score as much as I like. I'll give him a run of games as a DLF(A). Then see how he performs as a PF(S)

Thanks again!

On 28/02/2024 at 04:52, ceslide said:

I want my strikers to help (a bit) in the buildup, but also be my main source of goals as they have the highest finishing stats. 

I'd prefer a forward role that let Hojlund use his mobility a bit more. The high tempo press should be fine, just top up that morale and things will start ticking over. An AF will do both for him, although I'm not crazy about them when combining with w/wide forwards in an 4-3-3. You could play him as he does IRL, as a spearheading poacher.

• It's rare to find an athletic profile who can play as a solo goalscoring 9 in a 4-3-3 (height/pace + the mentals to back it up) so when you, having him finish your moves can work quite well. You then want the wide players to be more creative, 1v1 threats than goalscorers themselves. 

Other than that, loading in a face pack/team badges will improve your experience a lot :) 

Edited by Cloud9

18 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

I'd prefer a forward role that let Hojlund use his mobility a bit more. The high tempo press should be fine, just top up that morale and things will start ticking over. An AF will do both for him, although I'm not crazy about them when combining with w/wide forwards in an 4-3-3. You could play him as he does IRL, as a spearheading poacher.

• It's rare to find an athletic profile who can play as a solo goalscoring 9 in a 4-3-3 (height/pace + the mentals to back it up) so when you, having him finish your moves can work quite well. You then want the wide players to be more creative, 1v1 threats than goalscorers themselves. 

Other than that, loading in a face pack/team badges will improve your experience a lot :) 

Thanks for the advice! Atleti triggered his release clause and poached him anyways, so i'm left with Beto😅

On 01/03/2024 at 03:38, Cloud9 said:

Hojlund's been holding up the ball a lot for his teammates since coming to Manchester United so wouldn't really class him as playing poacher for them fwiw. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/02/2024 at 21:12, ceslide said:

I see... It sounds like the PF is what I need after all. I'll still experiment with the Poacher and AF as @HanziZoloman suggested. Thanks again! I'll try the suggestions.

just a thought, try Hojlund as a DLFa and see how that works out. PFa for Beto, DLFa for Hojlund

Edited by DownTheFrank