[FM24] Advanced editor questions from an ancient user

Once upon a time ago.....

Maybe some people will recognize me. Long ago, I've made a custom database for the Dutch league structure, all the way down to level 9. That was indeed a long time ago, the last database was for FM17. Due to personal circumstances and a busy professional life, I lost track of the FM-series after FM17. Until now. I've purchased the FM24-game, and because blood is thicker than water, I've started tinkering again with the editor. Not necessarily with the intention to make a Dutch football pyramid again, but just to slightly alter the Dutch leagues. I really dislike the structure with play-offs for the Conference League in the Eredivisie, and the period system in the Keuken Kampioen Divisie. Plus the fact that there's no relegation possible from the Keuken Kampioen Divisie, but those last two 'problems' can be easily solved.

With the first problem however, I've hit a snag. Apparently. my advanced editor skills are 'a bit' rusty after 7 years not doing anything with it, and I can't get the Dutch leagues working like I want them to. Here's the problem:

When opening the Dutch leagues, there are two Eredivisie-structures. One default, and one Euro teams. Because I want to get rid of the play-offs for the Conference League ticket, I removed the Euro teams one alltogether, and in the default structure, I deleted stages 1 (the Euro playoffs hidden stage) and 3 (an empty hidden stage). And in stage 0 (competition), I altered everything which has to do with the Euro play-offs. With stage 2 (the promotion/relegation play-offs) I didn't alter anything...yet.

When I test the Eredivisie, the editor keeps saying that the competition is not finished on time to start the new season. And I can't for the life of me figure out why it's doing that. I've checked every date section of the competition, and checked it again, and again, but it keeps producing that error. Maybe there's something hardcoded in the game that prevents altering this?

So, I came up with the idea to just copy a competition structure to the Dutch pyramid. Like the German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga. I want to keep those competitions, but  I want the formats of both competitons to be applied to the Eredivie and Keuken Kampioen Divisie. I just don't know how to copy one competition structure of a country to another competition structure of a different country. Is that even possible or do I need to start from scratch?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

For your initial problem I can think of a couple reasons it could be. Firstly the promotion/relegation stage being stage 2 with no stage 1 existing could be an issue. Try changing it to stage 1, and of course changing any references to it as stage 2 to stage 1. Secondly under Other Stage Rules there's a Continental Cups section. Remove everything there. That's setup to qualify the Euro playoff winner to the Conference League, if anything is there it may still be waiting for a playoff winner which it never gets so can't complete. In a league without a playoff you don't need (nor want) anything in that section at all.

As for copying a structure, yep that's possible. At the top next to the File dropdown box there should be one called Edit? Under that are copy/paste options. First you want to open the Dutch nation rules in advanced. Save those rules. Re-load the database. Open German nation rules in advanced. Click on to the Bundesliga file (the very first page of it, you don't want to be on stages or anything, just the page that says fixed\flexible rules etc.). Use the edit dropdown to copy that. Re-load the database. Load the Dutch rules you saved earlier. Click onto the first page of the Eredivisie, same page as you did for the Bundesliga. Edit > Paste.

Beware that it completely replaces everything! So you'll definitely have to make some adjustments. For starters you'll have to change it back from the Bundesliga to the Eredivisie. Change the division it relegates teams to. And maybe some other places where it references Bundesliga/2 Bundesliga, eg. the promotion/relegation playoff Teams section.

If you click on other pages, eg. the Stages page it will just copy those, so it's possible to copy/paste pieces too rather than the whole thing. Although doing that I'd still recommend copying the whole thing, then adding new rules to the Dutch system and pasting over those. Then you can copy/paste without having to constantly re-load the database and just remove the copied Bundesliga rules when done.

Oh and as for opening/saving the Dutch rules beforehand, might not be necessary, but sometimes the Editor loses the copied information when opening up nation rules, loading into a file with them already opened helps prevent that.

Edited by rusty217

Thanks for the reply @rusty217 . Method 1 didn't work for me, even after carefully going through all the remaining stages to look for wrong stage numbers. In the Continental Cup section, no stages were displayed, so maybe I did miss something, or my first guess (something hardcoded in the game) is right.

So I tried method 2 (copying entire league structures), and that worked like a charm!! I've tested it a few times in game, and all looks fine. I even could add tier 3 very easily, to be playable and I'm now working on tier 4 (with 2 subdivisions). Based on my experience that shouldn't be that hard too.

You've helped me a lot, thanks again!!

Edited by Tobcoach