A New Beginning in Notts County

Blarney

To those following my last journey -- or better put I guess the start of my journey -- welcome to the 2nd chapter.

To those that didn't and want to know how I got here.....

https://community.sigames.com/forums/topic/578946-fm24-beta-the-highs-and-lows-in-old-oldham-town/

That is the beginning of my story.

I'll recap here for the tldr amongst us.

My name is Ethan Sheridan.  I was hired by Oldham FC 3 years ago -- well almost 3 years ago -- to lead Oldham out of the darkness of the National League and back into the Football League.  It took me 2 years to accomplish that, but accomplish it we did.  In my first year in League Two we found ourselves in a playoff battle -- albeit a back and forth one where we'd take one step out and then one step back into contention.

During the past year I had been approached by no less than 4 other teams that wanted to inquire as to whether I'd be interested in leaving Oldham and joining them.  Initially I was delighted at their interest in me, which lead to a little slapping of the wrist by the Oldham board which wanted me to stop being happy about being approached and show more dedication to them.  In return to my agreeing to their request they spent a little money and upgraded our youth facilities to show that they were on board with me being on board with them.

Unfortunately that good will was short-lived.

Over the last few months as we've grown our reputation as a club and continued to fight for a playoff spot, I've asked and begged the board to spend more money on youth acquisitions... since the past few years we've not got any prospects of note from our recruitment.  They said no, each time.  We also lost multiple top players this last transfer period to bigger clubs that I couldn't entice to stay due to money and status.  Granted, it was good to see the money coming in that we could spend elsewhere, but these were already good players that I had recruited, signed and trained.

I went to the board again and begged for them to put more money into recruitment.  We had to sign good youth players here to be competitive.  They disagreed once more even when I met with them personally and told them why this was necessary.  I was told no and not to bother them again.

A couple of days later Notts County fired their manager while in the midst of a relegation battle and immediately the rumor mill started flowing that I was at the top of their list of potential hires.  The next day they approached me and asked if I would like to come in for an interview.  I said yes.

This time the Oldham board called me in and asked me to recommit to them and offered me what I had been asking for... an increase in youth recruitment.

And this time I turned them down and told them it was too late to do what I had been asking for months to do for the good of the club and met with Notts instead.  A few days later they offered me the job, albeit just a one-year contract and the "demand" that we fight off relegation.  It was a difficult decision in the end.  I honestly loved my time with Oldham and the players that I had recruited.  I was proud of what we had done there and leaving in the midst of a promotion opportunity some would say was insane -- especially going to a club that could very well being relegated this year.  It was made more difficult by the fact that I had replaced my father here as manager.  He was a legend at the club and I felt I was turning my back on him as well.

But in the end my fights with the Oldham board outweighed any good feelings I had about the club itself... and I left.

So this is the 2nd part of my journey.

A new beginnning.... in Notts County.

Press Conference -- February 21, 2026

Christoffer Reedtz -- Chairman of Notts County:  It is with our greatest pleasure and honor that we announce Ethan Sheridan as our new manager and are excited to present him here today to the media and the supporters.  Ethan was tops on our list when we parted ways with Danny Cowley and we're happy that he decided to meet with us and accept our offer.  Ethan brings a certain strong winning desire that we wanted here and definitely has the same interests at heart that we do as the governing board.  There also seemed to be a strong desire amongst the supporters to bring him here as well which just made the hiring even easier.  So without further delay, I give you the next manager of your Notts County Football Club, Mr. Ethan Sheridan.

Ethan:  Thank you Mr. Reedtz.  Thank you to the media present here today.  And most especially thank you to the supporters that have flooded my email and other social media accounts with well wishes.... and advice.  This is what's so special about this club.  Despite some lean years and the battle we are facing this season the fans turn out thick and thin and are always willing to voice opinion and cheer on their club.  It is an honor to be here.  It was an honor to even be considered for the position to begin with.  And it will be an honor to answer your questions and tell you what I have planned for the future.  Let's begin.

Rodger Spelling -- Notts County Now!:  Welcome to the club, Ethan.  We have an idea of the type of football you like to play, generally quick striking and fast moving.  Is that something you plan to implement here as well?

Ethan:  It's what I know.  I am obsessed with fitness and expect my boys to run up and down the pitch and press at every advantage.  If we can wear down our opponents, all the better.  So yes, it is something that I would say I'm hoping to be able to do to the same success that we did at Oldham.  However, it's not in stone that we have to play that way.  My job as a manager is to assess the components I have at the club and bring out the best in them.  So when I meet further with the club and see how best we can attack and defend... we will put together a plan at that time.

Torey Pace -- Nottingham Press:  Hi, Ethan, welcome to Nottingham.  Since you brought up Oldham I think it's only fair to ask... you're leaving them whilst in the midst of a promotion battle.  You were in the playoff hunt, albeit at the 7th spot... or at least bouncing back and forth between 6 and 10.  But you were in the hunt.  It's quite possible that Oldham could gain promotion to League One while the club you jumped to could be relegated back to League Two.  What was the reasoning to leaving when you had your club flying high and leaving your players and your supporters there wondering why you left as well?

Ethan:  So we're on to the hard questions already?  Most of the players at Oldham know why I had to leave... or decided to leave.  I love those boys.  I recruited most of them.  I have worked with them over the past year or two and together we brought Oldham out of the National League and in contention to move up to League One.  Which is something that Notts supporters know something about since it was just 3 years ago that you were in the National League.  You gained back-to-back promotions as well but now obviously face a relegation battle back to League Two.  It's never a hard decision to leave something you've grown and worked so hard at making better than what it was when you started there.  And I feel very confident in saying that the Oldham job is much better now than it was when I came there 3 years ago.  But just because something is better... doesn't mean it's the right situation.  I will not go into great detail regarding backroom dealings but know that it was not the players that made me want to leave, nor what is the supporters... but in the end, I decided this was a better situation for me, no matter the difficulties facing the club or not.

Torey Pace:  We can certainly gleam a lot from what you didn't say there so let me follow up.  You've only been at Oldham for just under 3 seasons now and in fact this was your first management job to begin with.  You're only turning 27 in just a couple of months and already have shown that you're a young up-and-coming manager based on the number of clubs that were looking to steal you away from Oldham over the past season.  What can you say to the supporters, that I assume you've already said to the board, to make them believe that you're in this for the long haul.  Or is this a stepping stone for something bigger and better down the road?

Ethan:  Well as it is I'm only on a one year contract to begin with.  I would have liked more.  (glances at Christoffer)  But that's what they offered me and I took it knowing that I could prove myself and then hopefully negotiate something better to keep me around.  I have no interest in jumping jobs.  When I joined Oldham it was never in the back of my mind that I'd be moving on so soon.  I was born in Oldham.  I grew up watching Oldham play.  My father played for and then managed Oldham.  It was my dream job.  But I am here now.  There is a special something about Notts County.  I love this town to begin with and the supporters are something special.  Notts County is the oldest professional football club in the world and yet the hardware doesn't match the history.  I intend to change that.  That's why I am here.

Jordan Aston -- press officer:  That's all the time we have for today, Ladies and Gentlemen.  Thank you for your time.

Postgame Press Conference

Torey Pace:  Not exactly the showing you were hoping for in front of the home supporters in your first match with your new club, I would think.

Ethan:  I hope it didn't take you long to come up with that one.  No, obviously not.  We were up against the top club in the league at the moment.  We were home.  It was my chance to show the supporters what we could do.  And we didn't come to play today.  That's on me.  I take full responsibility for everything out on the pitch and this is no exception.  It was an opportunity to show that everything that came before meant nothing.  I know the lads were fired up.  The supporters were fired up.  I was fired up.  We just didn't meet expectations out there.  But it is just one game.  I'm not going to get too upset at one match against the top club in the league .  I don't usually like moral victories but we did give up those 3 goals in the first half and then played much more inspired football in the 2nd half when we shut them down.

James Mason -- Nottingham Post:  The match did look like it was going to get out of hand after the first half but your team did come back and at least calm down, unfortunately you couldn't find a way to get the ball in the net, which has been a problem for the club all season long.  How do you remedy that?

Ethan:  Shoot more?  I've been here 3 days my friend, if I knew I'd have already made that change.  I'm not trying to be flippant, so please don't misunderand me.  I take what I take from the match.  We played much better the 2nd half but we couldn't find the net.  5 shots, none on target compared to our opponent taking 17 shots against us.... that's not acceptable.  It will never be acceptable.  So we go back to the drawing board and we try to find answers.  That's all we can do at this time.

Torey Pace:  Do you have any words for the supporters who came out today and voiced their displeasure once again at what they saw on the pitch?

Ethan:  Yes.  We'll do better.  I'll do better.  I understand your passion.  I love the passion.  It's something that we have to match on the pitch.  So please don't give up.  You lift us up when you're yelling in the stands.  So don't lose hope.  Thank you.

Postgame Press Conference

Torey Pace:  A much better showing in your 2nd game with the club.  Is this a case of going up against a much easier opponent or just having more time spent with the club in training and seeing better results on the pitch?

Ethan:  Every team in this league is capable of winning at any time.  There are no easy matches and I'll never disrespect my opponent that way to suggest there is.  That said there are obvious quality differences between some teams that maybe have spent a little more money or are on good runs and those that find themselves at the top of the table and the bottom of the table.  Right now we're not a very good team and we were exposed by Rotherham.  However that gave us the incentive to go back to the training grounds and work on those things we know we needed to change.  That an - as you pointed out - more time spent by me with the club allowed me to find out some strengths and weaknesses with my own players.  Put all of that together and we were able to have a much more desirable outcome this time out.

James Mason:  There are rumors that you've listed quite a few players for transfer and that you're looking at making wholesale changes in the club, much like you did by bringing in several of your own staff from Oldham when you came here.  Is there any truth to this?

Ethan:  It's probably not much of a surprise that when a new manager takes over there are going to be changes to the backroom staff.  One can imagine that in most cases managers aren't being let go because they're performing well... so unless it's a case of the manager deciding to leave for one reason or the other, generally a staff is going to be overturned when a manager is sacked.  I knew the people around me at Oldham as I was the one that brought most of them in when I took that job and I trusted them to get the job done.  I don't know the people here that well but having talked with Mr. Reedtz I had a good idea of what changes they thought needed to be made and I have started making those.  To answer your question.... yes we have put several players up for transfer.  Most of them are on expiring contracts and we've already identified them as players we're probably not going to be asking to stick around.  Some have already told us that they don't intend on signing a new contract with us.  Those decisions are never taken lightly and we've tried to communicate with the whole team what are intentions are going forward.  When you're sitting last or near last and fighting a relegation battle it's obvious that changes need to be made, whether it's backroom or on the pitch or both.  To not make those changes and try to get better is insanity.

James Mason:  I would think most people would agree with that but you did come with a reputation for having more than a few public battles with players and having a penchant for making a lot of changes.  Do you have a comment on that?

Ethan:  (smiling)  Sure, I can comment on that.  I don't expect that every player is going to have the best attitude when they're told they're no longer wanted or needed or aren't going to be in future plans for a club, especially if they've been around that club for a time.  That's called passion.  Sometimes as a manager you make the tough decision - that many supporters maybe don't understand - and look to make a change because you think it's what's necessary.  When I took over at Oldham they were struggling in the National League.  They had quite a few - what I would call bad contracts, dead weight.  I set out to make the changes I thought necessary and while it took 2 seasons to accomplish it, we earned the promotion to League Two.  If I am being honest, I see some of those same contracts here and I see some players that aren't necessarily worth what we're giving them.  I also see some lads that have already said they don't intend on staying, which is entirely their prerogative.  Should I - as the manager - just stand by and let them play out their contracts and walk away without trying to get something in return?  Or if I have a player that has maybe outgrown his worth to this club... or is worth more on the market than he is to me at this moment, should I just keep him around because I like him or the supporters like him instead of capitalizing on his worth and trying to build a foundation for the future of this club?  These decisions are rarely easy... but they're ones that a manager has to weigh and make daily.  And quite honestly what the supporters think never comes into the equation.  You just hope you do the right thing and in the end the supporters understand that also, because the supporters do matter.  Just like the players do... and their feelings do, but those feelings don't always align with what's best for the club.  So any disagreements I may have had, they are never personal.  Thank you for your time.

Table

Screenshot2023-12-18163548.png.2295ac5b55f4b2bbf294e66567d1949e.png

It's the end of March.  There are 9 matches left on the schedule.

We find ourselves still in the thick of a relegation battle, sitting 2 points from the clear.

This is our remaining schedule:

Screenshot2023-12-18163903.png.6cf9f2e2b3ce28686a3cb4a40cea7ac9.png

If we're going to get right we need to take advantage of this month's schedule.  Swansea at the end of the month is our toughest opponent as they sit in a playoff battle.  MK Dons is currently 10th in the table but Shrewsbury and Wycombe are struggling and just outside relegation so we need to make sure we leave them in that state after our match.

March

Screenshot2023-12-18191621.png.b80a1e84ccff609ddcee2cb92a371185.png

We ended up playing just 3 matches this month as our scheduled game versus Swansea got moved.  Unfortunately we were able to only win 1 while being competitive in the other 2... which certainly doesn't count in the standings.

Screenshot2023-12-18184700.png.b9192987b2ef0f88b44583a9f5e33675.png

We're still in the drop zone but having played better of late I guess we can pull some hope that we can somehow find a way to pull ourselves out this last month.

Screenshot2023-12-18191645.png.3b3771830d662ce85211ba3dd2fbb786.png

Six matches remain.

We face 2 teams in a promotion hunt and 2 that are possibly facing relegation.  We have to make things count here.

Meeting with the media

Sean Combes -- BBC Radio Nottingham:  Hi Ethan, can you tell us your thoughts entering the last month of play here in the league?  You're currently in the drop zone but only 2 points from clear with 6 matches on the table for the club.  Are spirits high that you feel you can rescue the season?

Ethan:  I would hope that every man on the pitch knows what we're up against and doesn't need to be told.  If they don't think there's a chance then they need to come to me now and let me know so that I can put someone out there that wants to win.

James Mason:  On a positive note the team has scored 9 goals in their past 5 games since you joined.  They had scored a total of 9 goals their previous 10 games total.  In fact they had only scored 2 or more goals a total of 10 times this year... you've done that in 4 straight games.  Do you take anything from this?

Ethan:  Yes, I take we're finding the back of the net more from it.  Look, I like to attack, that's no secret from my time with Oldham.  As far as I know the only way you win is by scoring more goals than your opponent.  And I'm sure I'm not causing an outcry or saying something that hasn't been said, since you just said it, but Notts wasn't doing much scoring this season.  We have scored 41 total goals this season in  40 games and 9 of those scored in the past 4 games.  That's never going to be good enough so it needed to change.  Luckily we're finding a bit more success... at least on that side of the pitch.  What it hasn't lead to is wins... at least consistently since we're only 2-3 since I joined.

James Mason:  Some would say that 2-3 is somewhat of a success considering where the squad was.

Ethan:  And still is.  We haven't accomplished anything yet.  But the season isn't over yet.  Thanks everyone for your time.

April

Did we stay or did we go?

Screenshot2023-12-18214242.png.e5004548a1127961ee281fc2c285edcd.png

So it wasn't a great month.  A couple of wins, a couple of draws and a couple of losses.

Was it enough to stay up?

Screenshot2023-12-18214330.png.5f5f5fd69049c404ad050a1c0d34cad0.png

It was.... barely.

I think the phrase is "by the skin of our teeth."

The sad part if we held our future in our hands and we let that slip away and relied on the downfall of others.  Had Cambridge or Exeter played better in the final month, won one more match... we'd be out.  But we can't dwell on what if's or if we got lucky... we play the cards dealt and in this we got the winning hand, even if by others faltering.

It will be something to grow from.

Now, assuming that I will get a new contract... the work begins.

Oh and if you're wondering what happened to Oldham.

Screenshot2023-12-18214505.png.20424eb6af652aea8ab2fe8c30aec5b5.png

They're in the playoffs.  It will be very interesting if they come up and we get to play them next season.  Wrexham will be up after having a wonderful season, so old rivalries will be revisted there.

Preseason Presser

Torey Pace:  I know your preferred discussion would be to center around the offseason and preseason and the moves that you've made with Notts County and looking forward to the new season but you know we have to ask about the rumors of this takeover.  The board has placed an embargo on all transfers we have been told and it appears that a new ownership group is imminent.  One such group has already stated that they will put their own manager in place if their bid is successful.  What are your feelings on all of this and how is the club handling the distraction?

Ethan:  So it's obviously one thing when you hear rumors, which is sort of a thing when you're in this sport.  Either a club is being sold or a player is on the outs or the club is looking for a new manager or this or that or everything.  But it's another when it's a potential takeover and the board places an embargo on all business basically, which is sort of a precursor to something real happening.  But as far as day-to-day what can we do?  Until something happens and I'm told I'm in or out or it's business as usual... it's business as usual.  We still have training.  We still have matches to play.  We don't have the luxury of making demands, we're just here in the mud moving forward.  That's all I can do and that's all every player can do until we're told something else.

James Mason:  So that aside, you have made a lot of changes with the club.  By our count you've brought in 8 new players so far and you've also made several changes to the backroom staff.  You've also sold off 2 fan favorites that were both on the last year of their contracts... along with moving a few other players as well.  Embargo aside, is your business done at Notts or were you still hoping to make some changes.

Ethan:  I have a very simple response to that which I've probably said a dozen times when asked about transfer business.  I'm always open.  I'm always looking at ways to improve the club.  Now that doesn't mean that we just throw it against the wall to see what sticks or that we'll make moves just to make them.  But it does mean that if an opposing club is interested in talking deals, let's talk deals.  If I see someone out there who I think is going to help us win... I'm going to make contact.  That's my job.

Torey Pace:  So what are your predictions for the coming season?  Where do you expect your club to finish?

Ethan:  I'm not much in the way of predictions.  I like to let things play out on the field but at the end of the season when I met with my guys and again here at the start of this season we said we were going to stay up and that's our plan.  I don't want to get into a relegation battle again.  I don't want to go through that and neither do the lads and neither do the fans.  Whether we have the quality to "contend" and get into the playoff hunt, I think we're young and we have some growing together to do.  That doesn't mean we can't get there, it just means that for now what I really want is just to be competitive.  If we can stick around mid-table as we're growing and learning as a club then who knows, maybe we make some sort of push in the 2nd half.  But the goal for now is we stay up.

Sean Combes:  So with Wrexham, Barnet and Oldham all earning promotions it's almost like a homecoming from the National League battles the teams faced just a few years back.  One would suppose the fans would be excited to see what happens this season between those 3 teams.

Ethan:  It's definitely something exciting for the supporters.  One can't help but remember the battle that Notts and Wrexham had where both clubs set records for points scored in the National League and the season that Notts had that was just eclipsed by what Wrexham did.  To see these 2 clubs going at it again should be something to behold all season long.  But it'd be wreckless to think this season will be only about that.  There should be a lot more stories to follow all year long.  It is good to see Oldham come up as well, I'd be lying if I didn't say there was a piece of my heart still there.  Thank you.

Edited by Blarney

Preseason Predictions

Screenshot2023-12-19013250.png.7bd1ab6f8966b8127079d5063d6186c9.png

Screenshot2023-12-19013412.png.5d104ddd7182dd3d00ed005ba4472627.png

Screenshot2023-12-19020420.png.4e5a7f2c6365e8106f89201aa0c5ae13.png

So the pundits don't really like our players much for any awards and they don't really like our team to go up but at least they show us bottom mid-table and safe from relegation.

You'll notice the new promoted Wrexham club is predicted to finish ahead of us, but Oldham and Barnet are facing a hard uphill battle according to odds-makers.

Edited by Blarney

Takeover Bid Withdrawn

Screenshot2023-12-19020917.png.0c558a3581f045c6fc083d766cde2cdb.png

Screenshot2023-12-19021010.png.31b107aba38f11f9b27034235e201699.png

So the bid has been withdrawn but the owners are still willing to listen to offers or accept new investors.

Maybe if we continue to win they'll change their minds and put more money in the club or I can prove myself to any new ownership groups that might come in looking to make a change.

Edited by Blarney

August

Screenshot2023-12-19162521.png.9434b28c5e0971689c2b58ce10bc7b5f.png

Screenshot2023-12-19162433.png.e7f9c3a2c8fed47c3046629918a172aa.png

2-1-2 for the month and sitting in 10th on the table is about what I expected early in the season.  In fact I'll pretty much take that all year long if it means we don't get into a relegation battle and can continue to progress throughout the year.

We won our first Carabao Cup match and then gave Hull everything they wanted in the 2nd round.  In fact we fell behind 3-0 in the first half of that match and then fought back in the 2nd half just to lose 3-4.  I told the lads I was very happy with what they had done.

Good luck with The Magpies. I managed them for a few months on the first full release version of FM24 and McGoldrick & Langstaff were scoring a ratio of 1:1. But on that version the opposition were scoring with ease too, and despite great results it affected my enjoyment to see such high scores every week.

Starting there a few years later after your time with Oldham gives a fresh approach, and hopefully after surviving your relegation battle, you can enjoy better times starting from this new season.

17 hours ago, Jogo Bonito said:

Good luck with The Magpies. I managed them for a few months on the first full release version of FM24 and McGoldrick & Langstaff were scoring a ratio of 1:1. But on that version the opposition were scoring with ease too, and despite great results it affected my enjoyment to see such high scores every week.

Starting there a few years later after your time with Oldham gives a fresh approach, and hopefully after surviving your relegation battle, you can enjoy better times starting from this new season.

Didzy retired.  He's looking for a job in the front office but is currently unemployed.  Langstaff is still doing Langstaff things but he's already told me he wants out after this season when his contract is up.  Notts is my favorite team, I've been to a dozen of their matches at least from when I lived over in England so I'm happy I'm back with them.  But it is interesting having started out with Oldham and then getting hired by them, they had really made over the team before I got there and it was not very good.   So I'm trying to make some changes now.

Edited by Blarney

September

Screenshot2023-12-22171926.png.713bdc1614d63676a9ffe9a7bbe96e37.png

Screenshot2023-12-22172002.png.70632862a5b1598ef443d54d5a9fe4a9.png

Screenshot2023-12-22172127.png.5159393f1e1ca5bbf881c5c4ea85f00b.png

Screenshot2023-12-22171828.png.eaa1fc468cc364702631ae299f0d480e.png

The month began with a victory against Sutton in the Bristol St. Motors Southern Section with penalty shots.  Then a heartbreaking loss to Bolton where we held a 2-2 draw in extra time only to give up the winning goal.

After that - and due to our poor run of form - I went back to the drawing board and put together a new tactic that more fit the personnel I had on the pitch.

With that change we ran off 3 straight victories in league play, giving up 1 goal in each game.  Up the middle we are very talented... from Langstaff at point with Burrows behind him adding to the attack.  McArdle and Dressel are young but very athletic at the centre-mid position and Neal is a talented defensive midfielder.  Anane, Baptiste and Debrah are good defenders and athletic for their position as well.  So far we've played the tactic well and have not given up a lot of goals, whether this continues or not remains to be seen but so far we are certainly playing better on the pitch with this than any other tactic we've used so far this year.

It is obviously very early in the season and a couple of wins or losses either shoot you up or down the table, but we're very happy with where we are right now.  Oldham is also playing very well, which is to be expected with the talent that I acquired there.  On the other hand Wrexham is having a real hard time at the moment and Barnet is not much better.

Edited by Blarney

Hey, everyone... or at least anyone following along, I have an "real world" question.

I'm having MAJOR issues with FM24, which searching the interwebs seems to be a thing and even on the bug tracker seems to be an issue where I haven't found a fix yet.  I have messaged the support team and am awaiting a response but the game right now is almost becoming unplayable because of the incessant amount of crashes.  Not that it's not playable obviously, it just requires restarting and moving on... but my game is crashing 2 or 3 times a playthrough and having to go back and restart, especially if I forget to save basically all the time.... is driving me crazy.  Is anybody else here having this same issue and have you found out anyway to fix it?  I'm almost at a point where I'm just going to give up because it's not fun to try and do a "save" like this and constantly have it bugged by crashes and having to replay scenarios all the time.  I'm seriously thinking about just going back to FM23 until next years version comes out that they say is going to be a major upgrade.

For anybody that's going to ask the obvious question..... the crashes happen whether I'm using a custom skin or custom database or not.  It makes no difference.  I have also deleted it and reloaded it to no avail.  I never had this issue with FM23.... other than a couple of crashes during the 700 some odd hours I played it, but this is just insane right now how many times this game has crashed.

Any ideas?

Edited by Blarney