Champion title playoffs when points are equal

SalabinSim

I am modelling a league where after the league ends if you have multiple top teams with the same points amount (ignoring other sorting rules) - they would need to play a cup style playoffs.

How would you go about modelling this in editor with Advanced Rules? Under league settings there is "Position playoffs" section which I thought would do exactly what I want to - but cannot really get it to work. At the very end of the league stage whoever is on top is crowned as champions (even if someone has same points below him). I also have "Use standard playoffs" checkbox selected.

If the "Position playoffs" cannot be used for this - can this be modelled with hidden cup stages?

playoffs.png

Try adding Number Of Sort Rules To Check First = 0. With no setting there it might be taking all of your sort rules into account before doing a playoff, so unless they have identical records and none of the sort rules can separate them there's no playoff.

I tried testing with this setting as well - but cannot really get any standard playoffs to work at all. No new matches are created at the end of the league phase.. Is there perhaps some existing league that has similar rules and you saw championship title playoffs working there? Would check how the setup looks like there.

It could be the Required Number Of Teams In Playoff Positions that's the issue then? Not sure what that's supposed to do, but it may be specifically looking for promotion playoff teams or something?

As for existing rules with a championship playoff, I know the Italian Serie A has one.

What does "sort rule to sort teams in position by" do? Is that supposed to be for if 3+ teams are tied you only want the top 2? Try changing that "do not sort" maybe?

FYI not sure quite what he means here by leaving it unticked and still activating the settings, this was on an older version:

That was it! Apparently you do need to uncheck "Use Standard Position Playoff" checkbox and then setup "Position Playoffs" below in League Settings. After more tests it did work as expected - a separate cup stage was created automatically for champion title position playoff. Thanks a lot for the help!