Please help

I am having a tough time with the Match engine.

I cant get players to run in behind. everything is played into the feet of my players. 

Wingers loose the ball pretty much every time they get the ball do to a bad touch, poore dribling or passing. They are also way to deep doing build up.

The press is all over the place. AI players are standing totally unmarked. Players in attacking midfield are not applying pressure and are dropping all the way back to mark the same players as my CM.

My fullback refuse to mark the AI winger closely.

so yeah it is a mess, Please help.

image.png.6ae1ffb92092432a9899b4e50a3f3374.png

It's not easy to understand the style of play you are looking for here, perhaps you could give us a bit more insight?

Looking at your tactic it's entirely possible that some of your instructions and role/duty choices are working against one another and that could be causing you problems.  For example you're instructing your players to play the ball very short and work it patiently into the box, whilst also telling them to play lots of through balls and keep the tempo high.

Similarly there's some conflict in asking the team to:

• play short passes and concentrate play through the middle of the park, whilst stretching them out as wide as possible.
  • play with a high tempo but to frequently waste time.
  • overlap on both flanks whilst using defensive inverting full backs (overlap generally only affects full backs and wing backs
  • employ a positive mentality and ALL offensive players on an attack duty (similarly with the midfield all on support, and defenders all on defend, there'll be little movement between the lines)
  • form a diamond defence but step up with an offside trap (all the while using a mega high line)

Personally, I would try the following:

• Mix up the duties, put your wingers on support (when starting this high up the pitch wingers tend to play more like wide forwards anyway).
  • Try an advanced forward and attacking midfielder (a), or pressing forward (s) and shadow striker combination. The AF moves into channels opening up space for the AMC, whereas the PF and SS should switch places frequently without minimising your press.
  • Drop the CM's into the DM line or put one of them on a defend duty (the CM probably)
  • Have one DC as a ball playing defender and the other as an orthodox defender (utilising a libero in a back four is very difficult to pull off)
  • Have more orthodox full backs; I find the FB(a) is a great blend of attacking intent and defensive responsibility.

As for the team instructions, maybe start with:

positive mentality, shorter passing, play out of defence, work ball into box, take short kicks, distribute to CB's, counter-press, higher defensive line, high press, press more often/much more often, prevent short GK distribution

or (if you prefer a more direct style of attacking)...

balanced mentality, standard passing, higher tempo, play out of defence, pass into space, take short kicks, distribute to CB's, counter-press, counter, higher defensive line, high press, press more often/much more often, prevent short GK distribution

I find a balanced mentality is a good place to start with top heavy formations like the 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4.

Be more Moyes and less Pep :brock:

Good luck :)

Edited by Silver Sweeper

First of all, what exactly is the tactical style you want to play?

Try the tactical template provided by FM and change the Role and Duty according to your players' abilities and start from there to change the TI, PI or Role and Duty of your players, then you can come back again and ask about progress your tactics in this thread.

4 hours ago, Hoffbeck said:

I am having a tough time with the Match engine.

I cant get players to run in behind. everything is played into the feet of my players. 

Wingers loose the ball pretty much every time they get the ball do to a bad touch, poore dribling or passing. They are also way to deep doing build up.

The press is all over the place. AI players are standing totally unmarked. Players in attacking midfield are not applying pressure and are dropping all the way back to mark the same players as my CM.

My fullback refuse to mark the AI winger closely.

so yeah it is a mess, Please help.

image.png.6ae1ffb92092432a9899b4e50a3f3374.png

As @Silver Sweeper says your tactical style doesn't encourages your players to really run behind the defence and much more.

I recommend these changes in terms of TIs:

• Much Shorter Passing to Shorter and remove work ball into the box, overlaps and frequently waste time. Also its more obvious to remove Step Up More because you have your BPD on cover duty so this is conflicted to each other.
  • Add Counter as this instruction got helped from Pass Into Space.

On 25/11/2023 at 15:44, Hoffbeck said:

Thank you.

What about pressing? any advice?

It seems like the worse teams are able to easiuly pass through the press?

How you you guys set up pressing

Your best bet is to use every instruction related to press on maximum like:

• Counter-Press
  • Much Higher Defensive Line
  • High Press
  • Much More Often
  • Prevent Short GK Distribution
  • Step Up More

This is the easiest approach so you can get better results on defensive phase of the game.

Other problem could be your formation and/or your roles you are using. And another approach on this is to tweak your tactic for each opponent which this is more specific and more difficult to achieved.