Girona re-creation

Anyone had any luck attempting a recreation of Michel's tactics at Girona this season? In real life they have taken La Liga by storm.

Tried my hand after reading a few bits about how they play, in my first attempt I feel like I got pretty close. Below is a pass map from their game against Real Madrid:

GironaPassMapIRL.JPG.dc56b6869b5e73f73c42fd9bdd89fd8f.JPG

Then below is my first pre-season friendly (a 3-3 draw with Sparta Rotterdam):

GironaPassMapFM.JPG.ef349344460f2864264c5ac9f08843db.JPG

Current tactic:

GironaTactic.JPG.d9c4ab91eaa1ac97ec0e6cb94260c27e.JPG

I moved Aleix Garcia into the central position as he and Blind seemed to occupy the same space a lot - by moving him central I am getting similar positions to how he is in real-life, conducting everything in the middle of the park. 

I'm thinking about perhaps switching Gutierrez to a IWB or perhaps giving him sit narrower instruction but wonder if I'd run into the same issue with him getting in Blind's way. Perhaps switching Blind to an IFB with Gutierrez ahead of him as an IWB? But I wonder how that would work out of possession.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Gilberto Silva

2 hours ago, Gilberto Silva said:

Anyone had any luck attempting a recreation of Michel's tactics at Girona this season? In real life they have taken La Liga by storm.

Tried my hand after reading a few bits about how they play, in my first attempt I feel like I got pretty close. Below is a pass map from their game against Real Madrid:

GironaPassMapIRL.JPG.dc56b6869b5e73f73c42fd9bdd89fd8f.JPG

Then below is my first pre-season friendly (a 3-3 draw with Sparta Rotterdam):

GironaPassMapFM.JPG.ef349344460f2864264c5ac9f08843db.JPG

Current tactic:

GironaTactic.JPG.d9c4ab91eaa1ac97ec0e6cb94260c27e.JPG

I moved Aleix Garcia into the central position as he and Blind seemed to occupy the same space a lot - by moving him central I am getting similar positions to how he is in real-life, conducting everything in the middle of the park. 

I'm thinking about perhaps switching Gutierrez to a IWB or perhaps giving him sit narrower instruction but wonder if I'd run into the same issue with him getting in Blind's way. Perhaps switching Blind to an IFB with Gutierrez ahead of him as an IWB? But I wonder how that would work out of possession.

Any thoughts?

Goalkeepers distribution looks a bit more conservative than a SK(a).

Players moving into the same space is all good, they will combine and create overloads/linkup play. It's only when they're both goal scorers moving into the same channel that you should worry about them getting in each others way. 

Edited by Cloud9

I'm actually using 4-2-3-1 with DM-CM-AM on paper but turn into 3-1-6 or 3-4-3 diamond on the pitch since the beta came out. The difference here is that i'm using one of the fullback as inverted wing back and CM as mezzala and AM as attacking midfielder which makes him act as false 10 when the opportunities arise. I'm heavily inspired by Cruijff's 3-4-3 diamond and this is why i made my tactic this way. When executed perfectly, this tactic can break down any low block. Combined this with both possession and gegen-pressing style, and it gives amazing results.

Edited by bobhali