How does the pots for the European competitions work?

Depends on the competition. For example, in the Champions League Pot 1 is for league winners of the top-ranking European leagues and the previous year winners of the Champions league and Europa League. Pot 2-4 is determined by UEFA club coefficient, which is determined by how well each side has done in Europe over the past five seasons. This will change though from next season 24/25 with the new format. Europa League and Conference are based on UEFA club coefficient, the higher the ranking the more places available, etc.

Being in a higher pot means you are considered a stronger side and in theory should face weaker opposition. Which of course is not always the case.

Edited by jyny

4 hours ago, jyny said:

Depends on the competition. For example, in the Champions League Pot 1 is for league winners of the top-ranking European leagues and the previous year winners of the Champions league and Europa League. Pot 2-4 is determined by UEFA club coefficient, which is determined by how well each side has done in Europe over the past five seasons. This will change though from next season 24/25 with the new format. Europa League and Conference are based on UEFA club coefficient, the higher the ranking the more places available, etc.

Being in a higher pot means you are considered a stronger side and in theory should face weaker opposition. Which of course is not always the case.

Thanks for the reply. Are the pots divided the same through from the 24/25 season as before?

4 hours ago, Icemainn said:

Thanks for the reply. Are the pots divided the same through from the 24/25 season as before?

I think they are, just the group stage will be scrapped for a single league 10 game format.

20 hours ago, Icemainn said:

Hi everyone.

In the League phase of the european competitions you play 2 teams from each of 4 different pots. How are the clubs divided into the different pots? Is there any advantage of being in a higher pot vs. a lower?

Hi, when you get the invite to watch the draw for UCL or Europa, accept it and let it roll out till the end. You’ll get an insight and better understanding of the draw and how the seeding works

2 hours ago, mitzra3l said:

Hi, when you get the invite to watch the draw for UCL or Europa, accept it and let it roll out till the end. You’ll get an insight and better understanding of the draw and how the seeding works

Thanks, I will. I did not get a notification for the draw for the Europa league for the 26/27 season, so I was not able to see how the draw happened. Not sure why I was not able to see it

Edited by Icemainn