Duties

I used to know this as read many posts about it in the past but cannot remember where lol

For FM24 I an re-designing my tactics by more following the guides that have been produced over the years and as I am trying to be more realistic with my tactics this year following the attributes of players rather than trial and error.  So they have more sense and reason why when  I am putting them together and wondered if someone could advise or point me in the right direction on the following.

At times your assistant manager or coach may mention that you have not enough  or too many defence / support or attack duties for the mentality chosen.

Therefore does anyone know as a standard template how many defence duties / support duties or attack duties should be applied to a tactic based upon the mentality selected for the mentalities in the game.

Contain

Defensive

Counter

Standard

Control

Balanced

Positive

Attack 

Very Attacking  etc...

I have found the below post - but it only explains the attacking dutues and not the support of defensive for each mentality.

https://community.sigames.com/topic/362162-the-art-of-counter-attacking/

• Contain = 0-1
  • Defensive = 0-1
  • Counter = 0-1
  • Standard = 2
  • Control = 3
  • Attacking = 4
  • Overload = 4+

Any help would be appreciated.

There used to be a rule in a guide somewhere that said you should always have at least 3 Defend duties and 3 Attack duties, but even the preset formations for the various tactical styles don't follow that rule exactly.

I think the old rules were:

• 5 Def, 2 Sup, 3 Att for defensive
  • 4 Def, 3 Sup, 3 Att for counter
  • 3 Def, 4 Sup, 3 Att for standard
  • 3 Def, 3 Sup, 4 Att for positive
  • 3 Def, 2 Sup, 5 Att for attacking

Nowadays, I think most of the Counter formations are heavy on Support players.

Not sure if I'm about to help here or just confuse you more, but I'll give it a go :D.

First point:

27 minutes ago, wazza said:

At times your assistant manager or coach may mention that you have not enough  or too many defence / support or attack duties for the mentality chosen.

That's because your assistant is a computer program and follows a set of programmed rules.  It may be something you want to check on if your team are struggling, but such advice tends to lack context - especially around your chosen style of play.  For example, I could put together a possession heavy tactic using the Attacking Mentality with predominately Support Duty roles and still see my assistant telling me I don't have enough attack duty players.  Using more attack duty players in that scenario could destroy my chosen style of play.  Context.

Which brings me onto the second point:

32 minutes ago, wazza said:

Therefore does anyone know as a standard template how many defence duties / support duties or attack duties should be applied to a tactic based upon the mentality selected for the mentalities in the game.

As above, this will largely depend on your chosen style of play.  To continue the example, a Possession based system using the attacking mentality would probably utilise loads of support duty roles; whereas a Possession based system using the Counter mentality would probably use less support duty roles and more attacking duty roles.

This is because Mentality sets a baseline for how attack minded or defence minded your players might be, which filters down into individual player mentality.  If you open a player's role in the Tactics screen you'll see their individual Mentality at the top - that will change as you change your team's Mentality.

And finally, my 3rd point:

All the above is just one half of the coin, the other half being the players themselves - their attributes and Traits.  Different players will play the same role/duty differently purely because of their attributes and Traits.  To continue the Possession example above, who would be better to use the same Possession tactic: Man City or Burnley?  That's because Man City's players are better equipped via their attributes and Traits to effectively use the system.

Further, lets say you have 2 identical players but one with the Trait to get forward often, the other without.  Regardless of which team Mentality you select the player with the Trait is going to be more attack minded, which could fill one of the "gaps" in attack duty players if your assistant says you don't have enough.

TL;DR - the answer to your question is it depends.  It depends on the play style you wish to use and the players you have at your disposal.

Thanks both for the above guidance -as mentioned I've not dwelved alot into tactics for a few incarnation of the game and just set it up based upon how I wanted the team to play. which is basicaly how Hearne has advised above, so will use this method.  It gets confusing and shows how much the game has developed since those initial guides where written, but worth going back to read.