Sloe Gin (Wash Away the Pain Inside)

Mandy42

I'm not convinced I'm going to enjoy this.... 

But then a big part of me coming back is the chance to manage my favourite team, but in a more challenging situation, so maybe that makes me some what of a sadist.

Either way, if I had any doubts that the dominant era at Chelsea had ended, I only had to endure my meeting with the board regarding their expectations for the season. Sitting there nursing a rather spectacularly bad cup of tea (note to self bring Yorkshire tea from now on), I was glad I hadn't taken a swig at the decisive moment. EUROPA LEAGUE! That's all you want, qualify for the Europa league this season, and be "best of the rest" in 5 years time? I almost headbutted the desk in resignation and walked out then. But, sadist?

The reality is, even the Europa League might be shooting too high. The squad is woefully young, we only have one player over 30, although that's Thiago Silva at 38. Ben Chilwell and Raheem Sterling are the only two above 25, literally everyone is 25 or younger. I don't doubt their potential, but potential doesn't guarantee points, definitely not straight away. 

I quickly scribbled my signature on the bottom of the documents before me. Picking the match squad, dealing with the tactics, talking to the media, yep that will do donkey, that will do. All of the other responsibilities, picking the fuel and stoking the flames of this inevitable dumpster fire, they could be someone else's problem.

Now, retreat to my office and make the first tough decision, is it too early in the day for a gin or not?

Only been here a week and I think someone is spying on me, so be careful with any comments you might leave on this post....

I spoke about the relative ages of the squad, and that Thiago Silva was our only player over 30. In the space of the next week, we (I say we, really its they, as I have no say) have put bids in for Axel Witsel from Atletico and Dani Parejo from Villareal. Both midfielders, both 34. 

Now maybe it's just my outdated thinking, but I never liked players over 30, they tended to expect higher wages at the end of their career, to not be able to play out a full game, and generally not be worth it. Though, for the short term, perhaps with the amount of youth in the squad, a few players more long in the tooth might be just what we need to find some kind of balance. I might have to ban things like Tik Tok etc so as not to magnify the generation gap between some of the players!

Another group of players that bothers me more than the old bunch, is the injured bunch:

Wesley Fofana, so long he's not ever registered for a squad number this season.....

Christopher Nkunku, 4 -5 months

Trevor Chalobah 7 weeks to 3 months

Benoit Badiashile, 3 - 6 weeks

I wouldn't mind if it didn't seem to be a tactic by the board to go in for these players, whether they think they can argue for a discount due to them not likely to play for X amount of time. Case in point they are showing interest in Ivan Toney, who is suspended until next season....

On the pitch, we go to Singapore for pre season training camp, play some team I've never heard of, then fly home to face Lyon and Stade Reims almost back to back. 

Where's the gin.... 

All the games in pre season were of two halves. Obviously that's the format of the fixtures, but you know what I mean. 

Personally I don't mind, the point is rotation, get everyone fit, get a good look at different players and combinations. 

One very clear trend emerged, we seriously struggle in the later periods of games. Either blowing a 3 - 0 lead against Lyon to draw 3 - 3. Or having to rely on a 96th minute mistake from the Stade Reims defense to sneak a 2 - 2 draw. We had control of the Lens game after a Noni Madueke wonder strike put us ahead before halftime. But then another growing trend bit us in the ass, sloppy play. I'm hoping its the fact the players are learning the formation, tactics and playing alongside each other. Or rather, it better be that, because if the silly mistakes, cheap turn overs in possession and poor passing doesn't improve, then its going to be a long uphill slog of a season. Lens capitalized on this on the hour mark and held us to a 1 - 1 draw. 

Basaksehir, our last friendly opponent in Turkey, took the lead from such a mistake. Defenders stepping up to make a clearing header straight to an opponent, who then exploited the clearing  defenders poor positioning (and the lack of anticipation in the rest of the defensive unit) to put someone through on goal with a single direct pass. Not acceptable, it took two impressive long range efforts, one from Noni Madueke and the other Moises Caicedo to give us our first win of the pre season.

I'm exceptionally pessimistic of how we will go in competitive fixtures, Everton, Luton and Burnley are our August league fixtures. Not too many moons ago they would have seemed like games ripe for an upset but otherwise straight forward. Now though, a draw in any but the Luton game seems to me an expected or in fact acceptable result.

Off the pitch, and the focus seems to be on player development for improvement and or profit. Malang Sarr, Ian Maatsen and Malo Gusto, who all play at wingback, have been loaned out in the last month, leaving us feeling decidedly bare in the first team at that position. 

One saving grace is the fact we only have domestic football this season, though, hopefully not a "luxury" we want to have for too long.