Very Defensive Mentality as a Possession Retainer

When I reach a comfortable lead in the match I often want to manage the game so that I don't waste my players' energy and don't give the ball away. So I am thinking of developing a tactic where I minimise my risk taking and generally  try to kick the ball around in my own half. I have no intention of attacking or countering with this tactic.

So I was wondering whether Very Defensive mentality would be good for this, say, in the last 20 mins of a match where I am leading by 2 goals or more? My team is one of the most dominant in the league.

I would ideally adjust my defensive line and engagement to keep it the same as my regular tactic but I'm hoping for my defenders to pass it amongst themselves and keep ball progression and running to a minimum.

I might also try to put more players on support duty so they are available for passes more readily.

Edited by HotPizza87

• HotPizza87 changed the title to Very Defensive Mentality as a Possession Retainer

In short, yes. But be aware that such a style can lead to enormous amounts of pressure if the opposition isn’t willing to let the game go. So if you feel like there is one highlight after another for the opposition better switch back to a more intense approach by yourself.

3 minutes ago, CARRERA said:

In short, yes. But be aware that such a style can lead to enormous amounts of pressure if the opposition isn’t willing to let the game go. So if you feel like there is one highlight after another for the opposition better switch back to a more intense approach by yourself.

Typically I would use this against opponents who themselves have tried to sit back in the game and let me come to them. I hope this tactic will render that ineffectual.

7 hours ago, HotPizza87 said:

20230915172409_1.jpg

I would at least question if a much higher defensive line is beneficial for sitting back. Generally, I think there are way too many instructions. I would probably start out with just the very defensive mentality, time wasting, regrouping and a goalkeeper thats slowing down the build up.
You could also consider the defensive balance of your team by making adjustments to the shape, like pulling back the wide midfielders or making the central midfield into a 2x DM setup, to really shut down the center. Adding 1 or 2 defend duties will also help to achieve what you are looking for. There is no reason for a fullback to attack the flank if you are looking for ball circulations in your own half.

14 hours ago, HotPizza87 said:

When I reach a comfortable lead in the match I often want to manage the game so that I don't waste my players' energy and don't give the ball away. So I am thinking of developing a tactic where I minimise my risk taking and generally  try to kick the ball around in my own half. I have no intention of attacking or countering with this tactic.

So I was wondering whether Very Defensive mentality would be good for this, say, in the last 20 mins of a match where I am leading by 2 goals or more? My team is one of the most dominant in the league.

I would ideally adjust my defensive line and engagement to keep it the same as my regular tactic but I'm hoping for my defenders to pass it amongst themselves and keep ball progression and running to a minimum.

I might also try to put more players on support duty so they are available for passes more readily.

I think this is probably a good way to throw games for you. W/out the players specialized in parking the bus, you'll stop doing what your team is good at (controlling the game) and invite pressure w/out the personnel to back it up.

If you do go with this style, you'll still need to put pressure back onto the opposition. You'll also need to sort the midfield 3 roles. Do you really want to be trapping the opposition outside?

Instead I would keep the same mentality from your original tactic, drop the tempo, width, swap out fancy roles to workman like ones (no roamers). Bring on hard working squad players and see the match out in your style.