[FM22] Need help with away tactics against giants in Champions League

In my Ajax save I use mostly positive 4-2-3-1 formation which works well in almost every Eredivisie match. Some roles have changed compared to the picture (I use FBa in left-back and IWa on right wing), but generally the system is as picture describes it.

What has been the most difficult for me is transition from Eredivisie to Champions League, because level of opponents is much better. I frequently use the same formation with balanced mentality in away games (group stage and/or against similar opponents - clubs from Ligue 1 or Serie A 3rd place, for example). Perhaps make a minor tweak here or there (lower LOE and DL by one notch or something like that).

One thing that I've learned is that AI comes to away games with too defensive mentality and is beatable because of that. I recently defeated FC Barcelona at Johan Cruiff Arena with the same positive 4-2-3-1. The recipe seems easy - just go on positive against big opponent who is cautious and it works out well.

However, where I really struggle is away games, because teams like Barcelona, Arsenal, ManU, Manchester City play with a positive/attacking mentality and attacking formation and their quality just rips my team apart. I stand almost no chances in those games and more often or not I'm relieved to lose by only two goals.

I've tried to change things - lower mentality, change roles (one is to switch BBMs to BWMs/BWMd, but it really hampers my attack). I don't want to change my formation completely, because these games are quite rare and we probably won't have tactical familiarity to play completely different, but if you can give any ideas based on short-passing 4-2-3-1 it might be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

* - don't pay attention to players in formation. The tactic is basically the same, but my game has advanced several seasons so most of the players are new and half if them are regens, so there's no point in suggesting PI-s based on player attributes.

wjmF3Qj.png

Playing 2 X WB with no DM's will leave a lot of space for the better players to exploit/same applies to FB/IWB attack.

Option A. Simple. Change RB to FB Support or IWB Support.

Option B: More complex. Move CMS into DM position, LDM DLP - Support. RDM: SV - Support.

With a deeper pivot you can drop the DL to standard and let the opposition come to you. Remove counter press and add counter. Possibly remove prevent GK short distribution. 

Also, if you have a decent LB, change to WB attack and switch AM to support for runners to play off.

Good luck.

Edited by toshimitzou1

23 hours ago, toshimitzou1 said:

Playing 2 X WB with no DM's will leave a lot of space for the better players to exploit/same applies to FB/IWB attack.

Option A. Simple. Change RB to FB Support or IWB Support.

Option B: More complex. Move CMS into DM position, LDM DLP - Support. RDM: SV - Support.

With a deeper pivot you can drop the DL to standard and let the opposition come to you. Remove counter press and add counter. Possibly remove prevent GK short distribution. 

Also, if you have a decent LB, change to WB attack and switch AM to support for runners to play off.

Good luck.

Some interesting ideas. Thanks!

As I said my left-back is actually FBa in recent tactics, but I've found that FBa moves sometimes wider, sometimes narrower (overlapping/underlapping) and is almost always moving forward when we have the ball, so depending his position we could be caught napping if we lose possession.

RB IWBs makes a lot of sense, because I currently have a left-footed full-back (left-back) who is also accomplished in DR position and could fill that role.

I wish I had more time to test this option B (perhaps I'll try in the next season).  I'm a bit reluctant about "counter" instruction, because generally I'd like to at least keep a bit of possession and and there's a lot of changes to my current system so I should probably find a balance between instructions.

1 hour ago, Draakon said:

I'm a bit reluctant about "counter" instruction, because generally I'd like to at least keep a bit of possession

I understand but as you specified, this is merely situational for those 'tough' away fixtures. With a W-Attack and a CF Attack it should allow you to be quite deadly when the opportunity arises. And remember, against the strongest teams, having more possession in the opposition's half can be counter-productive, in effect leaving space in behind your own lines for strong opponents to exploit.

I wish I had more time to test this option B (perhaps I'll try in the next season).

Totally agree. At the start of  pre-season you can implement the new formation whilst retaining your main tactic in the other two slots. By the time the season starts you should have full familiarity in both (except for role and duty familiarity in the new one which may take some time). 

RB IWBs makes a lot of sense, because I currently have a left-footed full-back (left-back) who is also accomplished in DR position and could fill that role.

I've found the IWB-Support and W-Attack to be an awesome combo on the flanks. 

Some feedback.

Went to camp now with Option A.

- cautious mentality, slightly lower tempo

- standard DL and LOE

- right-back IWBs, left-back FBs

- unticked WBIB to get more attacks finishing with an attempt

At first it didn't look good, we couldn't build up much and on 12' we were 0:1 behind (2:2 on aggregate). Needed to change something. 

Tweak 1:

- balanced mentality with slightly higher tempo

- AMCa -> AMCs

Midfield was much better, Barca had less space in midfield (because AMCs dropped deeper). On the other hand, they found space on our right (inevitable with IWa up front and IWBs staying in the middle), but then in the second half we had one good chance - BBMs found IWa in the box with a pass and 1:1. Barca geared up their attack and had chances to score and then:

Tweak 2:

- add pass into space to find counter-attacks

Almost managed to build up a couple of good counters, but player's poor decisions not to shoot at the right moment meant we couldn't get a good attempt on target. However, final score 1:1 and 2:1 on aggregate. Great success.

Statistically, though, still heavily beaten. Barcelona had 20+ shots, 8 half-chances and 3.05 xG.

On the other hand, I could take away good tactical insights from this match.

One obvious flaw was our left finger (IWs). Without a support of our left-back (usually FBa, now FBs) he was too isolated, couldn't create anything, didn't have too many players to cross to. Need to change his role, perhaps IFs.