Direct balls over the top / down the flanks play

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

You have to have a starting point @dzek :thup:

What shape do you want etc?

I will try 433 Wide with 3 AFs, 2 wingers and 1 holding defensive midfielder. Something like this.

Screenshot2023-08-18231258.png.88ecf6b891e44c376dc6199edbad68d3.png

Edited by dzek

3 minutes ago, dzek said:

I will try 433 Wide with 3 AFs and 2 wingers and 1 holding defensive midfielder.

3 AF's is a bit overkill, I suggest a normal 4-3-3 to start with. But try it out for sure, it's part of the FM fun 

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

3 AF's is a bit overkill, I suggest a normal 4-3-3 to start with. But try it out for sure, it's part of the FM fun 

What about the roles i have use in my screenshot above?

2 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'd probably go for Wingbacks instead but try it out 

I prefer WBs too but with only one DM i will struggle in the middle of the pitch and the other idea is if i cant get what i want from this and i concede many goals i will bring on one AF to DM position and transform it to 442 DM.

Do you find WBs more effective than IWB on this ME?

Edited by dzek

13 minutes ago, dzek said:

I prefer WBs too but with only one DM i will struggle in the middle of the pitch

That's why I think going the 4-3-3 DM route is the better way to go 

15 minutes ago, dzek said:

Do you find WBs more effective than IWB on this ME?

I barely use IWBs to be honest 

I'm not sure what you're looking for here 

Just now, Johnny Ace said:

I'm not sure what you're looking for here 

I'm trying to build a tactic that promotes direct balls from the back and play down the flanks.I know this ME already do this but i want to increase this at maximum level by my shape and roles. Mostly I'd like to know which roles make these direct passes more often and which roles are more efficient on the wide areas for this ME.

I'm trying to build a tactic that promotes direct balls from the back and play down the flanks.I know this ME already do this but i want to increase this at maximum level by my shape and roles. Mostly I'd like to know which roles make these direct passes more often and which roles are more efficient on the wide areas for this ME.

Put yourself together a tactic and try it, there's no magic here I can assure you :thup:

1 minute ago, Johnny Ace said:

Put yourself together a tactic and try it, there's no magic here I can assure you :thup:

Yes i know this :) im just asking you if you find any role more effective on this ME or any other role that use more often direct passes than other.

Edited by dzek

4 minutes ago, dzek said:

Yes i know this :) im just asking you if you find any role more effective on this ME or any other role that use more often direct passes than other.

Try a 4-3-3 with DLP at DM or something, that's a starting point, see how that plays and so forth :thup: 

@Johnny Ace how can i stop opposing DMs to play long balls over the top of my defence and also defend better wider areas?

All of the obvious stuff, D-Line and better quality players, never had an issue with either and every tactic will concede goals somehow :thup:

7 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

All of the obvious stuff, D-Line and better quality players, never had an issue with either and every tactic will concede goals somehow :thup:

These are the obvious solutions. Is there no way to stop them? If they manage to make those long balls, then it's 50/50 to concede a goal. So the important thing here is to somehow not give them the space.

I've tried with maximised trigger press, with mark tighter and mid block but nothing. Im playing with 424 formation.

Edited by dzek

7 minutes ago, dzek said:

These are the obvious solutions. Is there no way to stop them? If they manage to make those long balls, then it's 50/50 to concede a goal. So the important thing here is to somehow not give them the space.

I've tried with maximised trigger press, with mark tighter and mid block but nothing. Im playing with 424 formation.

Nail them? Tackle Harder? 

You using a SK?

Use an extra midfielder in DMC/MC/AMC

Never used a 4-2-4 and never had a problem with this :thup: Every shape has a weakness, every shape will concede goals and you've found the 4-2-4's 

I know you're trying to build some P&P meta tactic here, the T&T board isn't about that 

13 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

Nail them? Tackle Harder? 

You using a SK?

Use an extra midfielder in DMC/MC/AMC

Never used a 4-2-4 and never had a problem with this :thup: Every shape has a weakness, every shape will concede goals and you've found the 4-2-4's 

Yes i use Tackle Harder and SK. 

13 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I know you're trying to build some P&P meta tactic here, the T&T board isn't about that 

I'm trying to create a good solid tactic that scores many goals and concede less. Just this.

2 minutes ago, dzek said:

Yes i use Tackle Harder and SK. 

:thup:

2 minutes ago, dzek said:

I'm trying to create a good solid tactic that scores many goals and concede less. Just this.

If you've tried all you can think of, then all that's left is using better players and using one of your AF's as a DM/CM/AM 

• 2 weeks later...

@Johnny Ace I have some questions about overlaps and underlaps.

Overlaps:

- Except Wingers who will hold the ball and search for a full back who overlap to pass, is there any other position which will pass to that overlap?

Underlaps:

- If I enable underlaps on both sides, then the Wingers will hold the ball and look to pass to a teammate who make a run inwards. Is this also the case with Full-Backs? So they're looking for a teammate running inwards?

- Which roles are better suited for this instruction?

10 hours ago, dzek said:

@Johnny Ace I have some questions about overlaps and underlaps.

Overlaps:

- Except Wingers who will hold the ball and search for a full back who overlap to pass, is there any other position which will pass to that overlap?

From my observations, no 

10 hours ago, dzek said:

Underlaps:

- If I enable underlaps on both sides, then the Wingers will hold the ball and look to pass to a teammate who make a run inwards. Is this also the case with Full-Backs? So they're looking for a teammate running inwards?

- Which roles are better suited for this instruction?

Yes, fullbacks will move inside (and outside) of Wingers

The FB/ W combo is decent 

1 hour ago, Johnny Ace said:

Well, the obvious one is an IWB 

Okay :)

Another question is when I use Shorter Passing as TI and set More Direct Passing as PI on one of my players, what actually happens? Will he pass the ball faster forward or will he pass the ball to a teammate at a longer distance?

45 minutes ago, dzek said:

Okay :)

Another question is when I use Shorter Passing as TI and set More Direct Passing as PI on one of my players, what actually happens? Will he pass the ball faster forward or will he pass the ball to a teammate at a longer distance?

He'll pass it more direct than the passing set for the team