Kidderminster Harriers - Championship

Suggestions please…

I have just managed to get Kidderminster Harriers promoted to the Championship. Three titles and a play-off promotion from League One. I’ve done this on mostly free transfers and some loans (though no real stand out star loans). I have only purchased one player for £2k, but have improved coaches and training facilities.

The best of my players have been snapped up via their escape clauses and the rest are League Two / One standard, so I’ll pretty much need a squad overhaul.

I will have a transfer budget of £2.3m and wage budget of £55k (currently spending £30k).

Can I get promotion again on freebies / loans (conscious it was tight last season), if I spend should I get a couple of decent signings or lots of squad players, or use the money to upgrade coaches and training facilities further?

Below Average Training Facilities 

Poor Youth

4-2-4 wide gegenpress.

Edited by Justin Tomlinson

Personally speaking Yes It would be possible to gain promotion on just Freebies/loans. I've done it with Charlton. But if you've not got anyone capable of stepping up again, then promotion is fruitless to say the least as you'll come straight back down. Maybe a season or 2 of consolidation would be best for you right now.

Just now, kopfan1977 said:

Personally speaking Yes It would be possible to gain promotion on just Freebies/loans. I've done it with Charlton. But if you've not got anyone capable of stepping up again, then promotion is fruitless to say the least as you'll come straight back down. Maybe a season or 2 of consolidation would be best for you right now.

I suspect as Charlton were League One you’ll have a stronger squad plus a better to attract better quality freebies. That said to go up on freebies / loans from the Championship is very impressive.

2 minutes ago, Justin Tomlinson said:

I suspect as Charlton were League One you’ll have a stronger squad plus a better to attract better quality freebies. That said to go up on freebies / loans from the Championship is very impressive.

Their initial squad is barely fit for league one. But I never had to manage that initial squad. I took over about 5 seasons in. And grabbed a few prem rejected youngsters on 2 year deals, Got my promotion from League 1 rather easily. Championship season was exactly the same, Loans and a couple more freebies to bulk the squad out. Admittedly I fluked a last day win that snuck me into 2nd and was nowhere near ready for the prem. I didn't break records like Derby but it was still one heck of a long slog and came back down right away.

That was when I decided to 'Throw' a few matches by playing majority yth players in order to just consolidate position in league for 2-3 seasons. Sell a few players along the way, Build up a kitty as well as a more capable squad.

idk how far you are into the game, or how long ya played but.. don't go too high too quick.. the facilities and training cant keep up, neither can the ground improvements.. as I said tho, ya havent said year that your game is in, so might not be relevant.. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Okay… Promoted to the PL, so will be looking to add a bit more quality to the squad.

However, I have dreadful youth facilities / network etc. Is it even worth bothering to start upgrading? I presume it’ll take years for the board to let it get to a level where I might start getting potential PL players, whilst costs will rapidly increase as it slowly improves?