Can the AI be taken out of its normal ability?

I realize I might be accused of an overzealous examination of equine dentition, but a string of unusually stunning results stemming from some horrific plays by AI goalies and defenders has me curious if I’ve unwittingly done something to take the AI out of its normal functioning.

Own goals do happen, and GKs do sometimes blunder (as we saw this week in Liverpool’s match with RM), but I’ve never seen the AI do it in four matches running. I’m currently playing with a tactic included by Rashidi in his Book of Tactics, a 424 utilizing wing play (I've made some modifications based on my players). It also utilizes 2 central mids, rather than DMs, a set not included in the stock formations of FM23. And that’s what got me wondering if I’ve taken the AI out of its normal function.

Or maybe I’m just a brilliant tactician. 😁

Edited by gunnerfan

4-2-4 High risk, High reward also you got an idea from Rashidi so you must understand his reasoning with said tactic.

6 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

It also utilizes 2 central mids, rather than DMs, a set not included in the stock formations of FM23. And that’s what got me wondering if I’ve taken the AI out of its normal function.

In previous FM's DMs occasionally were a bit passive than CMs when defending but were very solid in controlling the space to the forwards and aggressive against the AMs, so at least in your tactic your control the midfield happens more quicker and regularly than the DMs in FM23. 

7 hours ago, gunnerfan said:

I realize I might be accused of an overzealous examination of equine dentition, but a string of unusually stunning results stemming from some horrific plays by AI goalies and defenders has me curious if I’ve unwittingly done something to take the AI out of its normal functioning.

Own goals do happen, and GKs do sometimes blunder (as we saw this week in Liverpool’s match with RM), but I’ve never seen the AI do it in four matches running. I’m currently playing with a tactic included by Rashidi in his Book of Tactics, a 424 utilizing wing play (I've made some modifications based on my players). It also utilizes 2 central mids, rather than DMs, a set not included in the stock formations of FM23. And that’s what got me wondering if I’ve taken the AI out of its normal function.

Or maybe I’m just a brilliant tactician. 😁

For what it's worth, 4-2-4 is the tactic I struggle to play against most in FM23.

I do think there are still defensive bugs in the match engine, hoping the Winter Update sees them fixed.

Edited by Cloud9