[FM23] Youth only in Slovenia - Rudar Velenje

DaneBramage

be4b1701bebf3c1de5c10e7184fa1792.png

Why youth only? I've briefly flirted with the idea before, inspired of course by various topics in this forum, and now seems like a good time to commit to giving it a proper go.

Why Slovenia? My last FM20 save was in Poland, and I enjoyed it, but I didn't want to go back there straight away. Playing in a new nation seemed like a better idea. A large part of my success  though came from picking up Slovenian players, with five signings having a significant impact on my team (a centre-back, two midfielders, and a pair of wingers). So it's clearly a country that can produce talented young players, and hopefully I'll see some of them here.

Why Rudar Velenje? There are 16 teams in the 2. Slovenska Nogomenta Liga (to be known as the 2. SNL going forward), made up of six professional teams and 10 semi-pro. I wanted to go with a pro team so I didn't have to worry about non-contracted players being stolen away, and of the six pro teams, Rudar Velenje were predicted to finish lowest in the league. Also, I recognised the name as one of the teams that I'd signed a player from in my aforementioned Polish save.

History

The trophy cabinet at the Ob Jezeru stadium is hardly overflowing, but there are a few trinkets in there. While part of Yugoslavia Rudar Velenje won the Slovenian Republic league a couple of times, but it was never a top tier league. When first won in 1976/77 it was part of the third tier, and in 1990/91 (the final season before independence) it was part of the fourth tier.

A few years after the split Rudar Velenje won the Slovenian Cup in 1997/98, but since then they've bounced between the top two divisions. After relegation in 2002/03 Rudar Velenje topped the 2003/04 2. SNL, but declined promotion. After winning it again the following year they did go up to the 1. SNL, but only lasted a single season before going back down. 2007/08 saw a third 2. SNL victory, starting a period of 12 years in the 1. SNL. But another relegation was to follow in 2019/20, and they've finished 8th and 5th in the last two seasons.

6c422a54d16397aed089871f399d2b89.png  6215b6dfc7bdca04ff8173ff5e314ec6.png

Expectations

We're predicted to finish 9th by the media, which is just a little below the board's hopes of a top-half finish. The supporters aren't having that though, they fancy a push at the play-offs.

Only the 2. SNL winners earn automatic promotion, the team in 2nd place go into a play-off against the side that finish 9th in the 1. SNL. The bottom two go down.

f070e5ba1d59ed02ad3cc50af7d32d9b.png  6ab3461ba36fda71c27771645da21f38.png

Finances and Facilities

The facilities look pretty decent, among the best in the division. I imagine that there isn't much money at this level and that our cash levels will decrease pretty quickly.

acdf9ea97d1cc0aa6b39a05ead9c03b6.png

The Squad

Anyone know a formation that uses seven right-wingers? Of the 21 players in our squad, a third of them could play there. Meanwhile, there's only three players who can play in central defence, and just the one striker. That rules out my normal 4-4-2 tactic then, and an injury or two could cause real trouble.

Most of the squad is Slovenian or Croatian, with a couple of Bosnians, an American-Italian, a Serbian, and a Ghanaian. The last two players will have to spend a lot on the sidelines as only one non-EU player is allowed in a 2. SNL matchday squad.

We have a 32 year old and a 27 year old, but the majority of the squad is fairly youthful as everyone else is 24 or younger. The U19 squad is empty.

I will be keeping the three loanees as I think we'd just be too short of numbers without them.

cdbba8df531a5ae87d8b0e36b1582ace.png1e4f2f7010f83487fb05189bfbcdf1db.png

The Tactic

With the lack of strikers making my normal 4-4-2 formation a non-starter, I've simply moved one of them back into the AM strata instead. We'll see how that goes.

I don't like that this screen isn't showing tactical suitability for each player's role, but now I'm wondering if that wasn't in FM20 either, or was just part of the skin I was using. 

9e4aba2cd32c21a4ab503ffb9c593bc0.png

The Star Man

Whisper it, but I might have one of the best players in the league on the books.

In the build-up to the season getting underway news articles have marked out Nik Omladic as the number one player to watch, and he's also expected to be in the reckoning for top scorer.

At 32 years old he has a ton of experience behind him with 350 games of senior football, including six international caps. He's returned to Slovenia this summer after spending the last eight years in the German second and third tiers. He doesn't score many though, with four league goals the most in a single season during this time.

7a9fbb53061c41cb29759f947ed25adf.png

August 2022

Results

After the first two matches and two good wins I was starting to get excited about what the season could bring.  Then we were diabolical three games in a row.

We had a better xG against Aluminij Kidricevo and Fuzinar, massively out-shooting our opponents, but the finishing was dreadful. It's telling that only three players have found the net so far, and all of them have been guilty of their fair share of misses as well.

f81d2439bae0dbfe918a3bb7b87206ea.png

2. SNL

Early days, but we've already taken up our expected midtable spot. That being said, with the drastic fall-off over the last three games we should probably be looking downwards rather than up.

897cf9b8a0ca10d91a93f7a6c2c909d9.png

September 2022

Slovenian Cup

This is going to be a grumpy update, so I'll get the good news out of the way early. In a midweek cup game we made easy work of 3. SNL side Posavje, smashing five goals past them (all from different scorers).

32e0476d172d6a8c7d0e133c0f8fb9f5.png

2. SNL

In the league though we've been absolutely miserable. I don't know how many times we've had presentable chances, only to just tamely poke them at the keeper. The only thing more annoying is the countless passages of play where we pass it around, turn and give it to a defender, who then proceeds to aimlessly hoof it forward to lose possession.

The Bistrica draw was a fair result, but we should be beating sides in the relegation places. Against both Krka Novo Mesto and Primorje Ajdovscina we had more possession, shots, and xG, but were totally impotent when it came to actually getting the ball in the net. Primorje are top of the table so it would have been a boost to take something from them, but we wasted the opportunity. 

6346121cfa52b3ab019b689b42bc2ef0.png

I hate that this view has removed the goals scored and goal conceded columns. The only alternative is the stupidly large table with the massive gap in the middle of it. Surely it's not that difficult to just provide useful information in a reasonable size?

acb28ba9e2aaa8064067ab637e20dd0d.png

Spoiler

42fbf30d60bc7cc89b4dc5c0da67e83c.png

xG

This is a new one for me, as I'm used to playing FM20 which doesn't have xG. But this does support my case that we are massively underperforming up front. If we were even remotely confident in front of goal we'd be top.

13eb40774a90630038ae8acdd7537b71.png

October 2022

Slovenian Cup

We were soundly beaten by Brinje-Grosuplje when we played them in the league back in August, so it was good to get a measure of revenge here. After we scored early on they pegged us back and I thought it wasn't going to be our day, but we kept going and punished them towards the end, twice forcing the ball over the line following frantic goalmouth scrambles.

45254afd8b5fddd365c1880076279d92.png

2. SNL

We had serious goalscoring problems last month, so hosting Dekani was a good way to turn it around. They had the worst defensive record in the division, and we added to their woes by putting five past them. We were back to being profligate again against Triglav Kranj, but managed to grab the win from the penalty spot.

Krsko was an abomination. A draw would probably have been a fair result, but a horrendous mix-up between our right-back and goalkeeper gifted them the only goal of the game.

Rogaska and Ilirija are both in the midtable battle with us, but the two games couldn't have gone much differently. We blew away Rogaska in the second-half, while Ilirija gave us a battering in the first-half. Three players lost a week's wages for their poor performances. This included the goalkeeper, who conceded 4 goals from an xG of just 1.31.

8107411bb01bb7e18fc01c0dcd0a50ad.png

We remain midtable, and 10 points above the relegation spots gives us a decent buffer. Surprisingly we're only five points off the top, as nobody in the division seems able to pull away. Everyone has lost at least three games so far.

Going by xG we should be four points clear at the top, outscoring everyone else by five goals.

3f711ebce77406737adf44fea2d7adeb.png

Sandro Jovanovic

With 7 goals so far Jovanovic is our topscorer at the moment, but he's not happy at the club. During the transfer-window we rejected an offer from Tabor Sezana, and this got him upset. He's refusing any attempt to negotiate a new contract, and has decided he'll be leaving when this runs out in the summer.

Losing literally our only striker will be fun, I will be keeping all my fingers crossed for the April youth intake.

7ca0b6e40756213eea31dc8b7a715b51.png

On 26/10/2022 at 16:16, DomD said:

Good luck. It will be interesting to see how your first youth intake looks like.

On 26/10/2022 at 16:45, Tommo_ said:

Good luck and good start to the thread. Interesting idea for a save that tempts me.

Are you doing anything to make your youth intakes better quality?

Thanks both. I think constantly getting upgrades is a little bit gamey, so I'm going to limit myself to only making requests at the end of each season. 

Depending on the finances of course. We started the year with £130k and now we're £90k in the red, so might be a struggle getting anything approved.

Edited by DaneBramage

November + December 2022

Slovenian Cup

Maybe the worst 3-2 win I've ever seen. We let a two goal lead slip and needed extra-time to beat a side from the 3. SNL. Good to see Sampson Wirekoh get a goal though. As we're only allowed one non-EU player in the squad for league games he's not seen much gametime, and he made the most of it here.

7eb7d27a1200f1bf13b9a549b600a589.png

2. SNL

The loss to Beltinci was pretty poor, conceding in the 2nd minute set the tone for the rest of the afternoon.

But we more than made up for that over the next few weeks. We beat league-leaders Nafta Lendava in their own backyard, and it was a convincing performance, We had to hold on a little against Dob, but Nik Omladic was a large part of our victory with a goal and an assist.

Finally we took on Brinje-Grosuplje in our final game before the winter break, and set ourselves up for a nice Christmas with a comfortable win.

09c80327ae2e2318829111fe7f87e247.png

Wow, this is most unexpected. The closeness of the league has allowed us to make a big jump up the table into 4th place, only a single point off the top. There's another three teams just another point back though.

ab27994340b61262473e7cf274b02a48.png

19 hours ago, DaneBramage said:

Thanks both. I think constantly getting upgrades is a little bit gamey, so I'm going to limit myself to only making requests at the end of each season. 

Depending on the finances of course. We started the year with £130k and now we're £90k in the red, so might be a struggle getting anything approved.

Ouch, it'll be long term for sure. Players sales will be the biggest income I guess, that'll boost the budget nicely, especially if you can bring through a gem. 

Will you actively sell anyone?

There was some research threads in the past around the effect Determination and Personality have on Youth Intakes, will be interesting to see how it works in the latest version of the game, are you specifically hiring certain traits for staff?

7 hours ago, Tommo_ said:

Ouch, it'll be long term for sure. Players sales will be the biggest income I guess, that'll boost the budget nicely, especially if you can bring through a gem. 

Will you actively sell anyone?

There was some research threads in the past around the effect Determination and Personality have on Youth Intakes, will be interesting to see how it works in the latest version of the game, are you specifically hiring certain traits for staff?

We only have 21 players at the moment, and realistically only 20 available at any one time due to the one non-EU player rule. So other than one of the EU players I'm not trying to sell anyone currently, not that there's particularly any interest anyway.

If and when youth players start coming through with quality and potential that may change, but we're probably a few years off that. This year's preview is a bit of a stinker.

1102d3ce9d30fea8fba732360a78c4d2.png

With regard to staff recruitment, I've delegated that out for now. I generally go with the premise that if I pick Team X to manage, then I should manage Team X. I always have transfers turned off in the first window, and I don't make sweeping changes to the backroom staff.

Once I've completed a full season that changes, and I will be looking at what improvements I can make then. Determination is certainly something I do take considerably into account when hiring. Although in the Slovenian second tier it's probably more a case of grabbing whoever I can rather than holding out for someone who meets the highest criteria.

The current staff all have determination values between 9 and 14, so pretty average as a whole.

February + March 2023

Slovenian Cup

We weren't far off scoring a major upset here. We raced into a two goal lead by the half-hour mark, one goal coming from a free-kick and the other from a corner. But Koper were 2nd in the 1. SNL at the time and showed their class in the second-half to overturn the deficit.

ac23ace07333b0e139fac4d90d5bff21.png

2. SNL

Utterly terrible. I'm starting to hate every stupid player in this useless team.

06fa121483f405c828cdb14cf64921b4.png

Plummeting like a stone.

b2e6902d2f656e54dd60a6d452a4bc6b.png

2023 Youth Intake

a7ec33a02d9fdcab266b118a4364097a.png

The warning was correct. This looks like a very poor intake. Everyone will be signed up just in case there's a diamond hidden away, but it seems unlikely.

Terrible personalities, no current ability, and not much more potential either.

With my only striker having signed a pre-contract elsewhere, we'll be left with A2 Marko Kozar as the only option up front, and I don't think opposition defences will have much to fear. His finishing is good, but with his lack of acceleration, pace, determination, strength, and positioning awareness, he's never going to get a chance to shoot.

Edit: I've just checked the 2. SNL rules, and players under 17 aren't allowed to play. I'm screwed.

A5 Lukasz Fedoruk scored twice in the Youth Candidates v Under 19 game, maybe I can re-train him as a striker.

Spoiler

90d937e052c7e3696f5991f16d775107.png

Spoiler

9d513550fd911d92885c9980371ab659.png

10198d2d031429ebe6b5185cf09bbd25.png

Edited by DaneBramage

April 2023

2. SNL

Three wins and one loss. After last month's terrible form I'll definitely take that. 

The wins over Bilje and Primorje Ajdovscina have seen us overtake both of them in the table, but the loss to Triglav Kranj let them go back ahead of us.

1c1b3f92dc700bcd328e4bf190866d62.png

Last month I said we'd plummeted like a stone. Well, this month we've rebounded like a yo-yo. Surely we couldn't sneak the play-off place... could we?

a4791970ee500bf0fd5eb5bbe30e2134.png

May 2023

2. SNL

We ended the season with a good month, again winning three games and losing just the one. It was an infuriating loss though, conceding in the 89th minute.

We managed to tie down Nik Omladic for another year, reducing his demands by £100 per week, and he celebrated with two more goals.

The final game of the season was designated a fan day, and we sent the 253 attendees home happy. The 1 travelling away fan probably regretted their journey.

30adc3de51812ad621631f25841ad195.png

No change to our final position, we ended the year in 4th.

This is much higher than I hoped for at the start of the year, but somehow it never felt like a good season. I think the main reason for that is the lack of draws. We won 16 games, which was the joint most with the champions Aluminij Kidricevo. But if we didn't win, we nearly always lost. Only four teams suffered more defeats than our 12, and they all ended up in the bottom five. 

Our longest run without losing was only 4 games, so I was never more than a month away from shouting and swearing at the laptop. Although admittedly that slowed considerably when I turned off the annoying 3D engine and went with the 2D dots instead.

57cc6f95515a10f81904e805abce3c52.png

2022/23 Season Review

Players

Nik Omladic was undoubtedly player of the season. He won the fan vote, scored the most goals, had the most assists, most MOTM awards, and also had the highest average rating.

Sandro Jovanovic was the only other player to reach double figures, but I found him really underwhelming most of the time. He scored 10 goals, but I'm pretty he also lost that many weeks' wages through fines.

Between loans ending and contracts expiring, six of these players won't be here next season. Luka Baruca, Matija Kanceljak, and Marko Martinovic will be going back to their parent clubs. Sandro Jovanovic will be joining Mura (4th in 1. SNL) on a free. Kristijan Sekulic complained about not playing enough, not taking into account that when he did play he conceded twice as many as his rival for the goalkeeper's jersey. And as we can only include one non-EU player in a matchday squad, there was no point in renewing the contract of Sampson Wirekoh.

ff246b2d8d1fc4e6137981816e36d8f5.pngcebfc5364dfad73f43e174c9ecc81158.png

History + Facilities

We were given £25k for our league finish, and also had £95k invested. Despite that we've lost roughly a quarter of a million pounds throughout the season.

5e9ba4a0d21ec44e4e08c9ae2d69181f.png

Edit: Well that's some terrible spreadsheeting. I've used an old template and forgotten to update the team name. It should of course be Rudar Velenje.

Edited by DaneBramage

August 2023

Season Tickets

We sold 96 season tickets, up 6 from last year.

Expectations

Given that we came 4th last year I was worried that the board might want us to aim that high, but luckily the expectations are more conservative than that. I think we might struggle with the squad considerably weakened now though.

02bddeff881c5fdf6e780f09bca4e71a.png  a1338365b93293b9a1012b921cbd6cd8.png

Mutiny

We're down to 15 players in the senior squad, so offers from Tabor Sezana for Marin Karabatic and Juraj Spudic were swiftly rebuffed. They were told to match the £110k release clauses or stop wasting our time. Both were upset, and the squad twice led dressing-room meetings to air their grievances. The morale of the team was killed when I told them to stop being so unprofessional, and now a lot of them really dislike me.

Spoiler

26fef195c4cd1a2ad65ffbd09b563bbd.png

2. SNL

Ha ha ha. Ridiculous.

Despite the lack of players, no striker, and an unhappy dressing-room, we've had a great start to the season. At most we can only name four players on the bench, but due to injuries on the opening day we only had one taking their place there.

I have amended the formation somewhat, moving the AMC back to an MC role.

A penalty made the difference against Bilje, and newly promoted Sencur were handled easily next time out. xG finally went in our favour against Primorje Ajdovscina, scoring a pair of long range efforts from an xG of just 0.42.

It could have been a perfect month, we were leading at Krsko from another penalty. But they were gifted an equaliser from a defensive mix-up.

20647284c0a9681b9a1fc7d41dc7cb0d.png

I'm sure this won't last, but the table looks good for now.

0c16b7549099235e21357ac3e1240dfb.png

September 2023

Slovenian Cup

The good - Nik Omladic scored his first open-play goal of the season, then grabbed a second to put us 2-0 up. After Ilirija had pulled themselves level, A5 Lukasz Fedoruk scored his first goal for the club.

The bad - Due to injury we had to use a grey goalie, and he was worse than useless. Two of the goals conceded were his fault, and he never looked like stopping anything in the shoot-out.

912270c2691c008452da7740b04e0a25.png

2. SNL

A couple of our academy graduates are now 17 so can be included in the matchday squads, which helps with filling out the bench a bit more. Both have made their debuts this month. Neither was a goalie unfortunately, so we've had to use a grey for the last couple of games.

I was annoyed by the draw with Dob (22 shots, 1.84 xG), but can't complain too much given how the rest of the month has gone. Two games in a row were won by Vinko Bicanic heading home from corners (provided by Nik Omladic). We looked down and out against Nafta Lendava before A5 Lukasz Fedoruk scored his first league goal, and Luka Verbic had me punching the air with a 95th minute screamer.

924a39d445cdfff297c1dc7d7e2085e5.png

I really like this. In a drastic change from last season xG is going in our favour. We've scored as many as expected, but conceded 3 fewer, winning us an additional 5 points.

a38bda0ddfdf0c7f76611ae48f5f6e99.png

October 2023

2. SNL

I thought we might get destroyed against Gorica, away at a team who were in the 1. SNL last year. But we were good money for the win.

The destruction came a game later instead. Triglav Kranj just cut through us with ease. They scored in the first minute, were 3-0 by the tenth minute, we never stood a chance.

Luckily it didn't leave any lingering effects. With Duje Biuk fit again and back between the sticks we picked up two more wins, all goals coming in the first-halves to kill the games off early, either side of a bore draw.

0992f753e271657c4f8a86dc025e528b.png

Despite suffering our first loss of the season we remain top. Triglav Kranj are right on our toes though, they're the in-form team with 5 consecutive wins.

cca693e18379f4b6c1490de641a47f5e.png

Edited by DaneBramage

November + December 2023

2. SNL

Ugh, All of the good work of the last few months thrown away in just a handful of games.

We somehow managed to not score even once against Krka Novo Mesto and Rogaska, despite a combined xG of 3.98 over the two games, and we hit the woodwork three times in the second of these matches. Bilje then punished us further, scoring with their first two attacks of the game.

At least Nik Omladic had a good month, in particular against Sencur. He absolutely bossed the game, scoring twice and providing the assists for the other two.

We were put on the back foot immediately at Primorje Ajdovscina, when A9 Aljaz Pintaric decided that being sent-off in the first minute for a two-footed lunge would be good idea. It was not, he lost two weeks wages. Nik Omladic again showed his worth by putting us in the lead, but the majority of the game was one-way traffic, and we could only hold on so long before conceding an equaliser.

We would be utterly screwed without Nik Omladic. He has 17 goal contributions so far this season, made up of 9 goals and 8 assists. Nobody else has more than 4.

c52d700cf0eebc27c2433caf8dde27b0.png

I know we're still a lot higher than I'd have expected us to be at the start of the season, but given where we were a month ago it's hard to be too happy about this now. We are still in the mix though, only two points behind the sides above us.

d65c9ce923453a245430054777d5b4c9.png

January 2023

Intake Preview

I know that the general consensus is that the previews don't mean much, but even so, I'm glad that this is better than last year's 0.5 star preview.

Still not good mind, but at least it's not the worst possible rating.

ca34e3325459b8a9cd92e739bb1ae0bd.png

Traitor

A few months back I offered Vinko Bicanic a new deal, but he said he wanted to wait until the end of his contract and then explore his options.

Turned out it was a total lie. As soon as his contract was within six months of expiry Domzale (6th in 1. SNL) swooped in, and he signed a pre-contract agreement with them as quickly as he could. Henceforth, he will now be known as Scumbag Vinko Bicanic.

d6a385a282a299f96c4cb8f4accb3df6.png

February 2023

2. SNL

We've had a bit of any injury crisis this month, so it's lucky that a few more of our first intake are now 17. Seven of them have now made their debuts. A5 Lukasz Fedoruk is the main contender so far, and he was one of few players to come out of the Dravinja Kostroj match with any credit. We led 2-0 at half-time, but somehow conceded three times from an xGA of just 0.64, including the goal that condemned us to a loss in the 95th minute.

A13 Dejan Jurisic got the chance to show off against Dob with a hat-trick of assists, earning himself the MOTM award. We were on top all game, but we really put the hammer down with a blitz just after the interval.

Scumbag Vinko Bicanic has scored in each of the last two games, temporarily putting himself back in my good books.

a49e746da5e6ab1288feba6372949d9b.png

Triglav Kranj have pulled away at the top, but we remain behind Rogaska on goal difference.

fdd17fd1bd746bee835ce85652f7d80e.png

2024 Youth Intake

fa62e46a546e127f3f1f355ac63c295e.png  >>>>>>>  00a2ebca1ac18221b003b91001dd8848.png

The quality dropped a little between the preview and the intake, but luckily not by too much.

The nationalities are boring, all 16 players being Slovenian. And you have to look pretty hard to find any decent personalities.

But the bright side is that we did have one player listed as a top talent, and another as an elite talent, so they should hopefully be able to make an impact whey they turn 17.

Nik Omladic is our current AMC, but at the age of 34 he won't be around forever. The low determination will probably prevent B1 Nejc Ceh from developing too much to ever be as good, but he definitely has something about him.

I'd like to see a better finishing attribute, but once he's old enough B2 Peter Trdin will be a contender for the lone striker role. Or maybe we'd even be able to go two upfront.

Both of these two scored in the trial game, as the Youth Candidates beat the Under 19s 4-2.

Spoiler

2df27c15fc34663d6dea16767c6baeb2.png

Spoiler

424dea598b5ff2e2d2fc93231c26fafd.png

dfc86e328e6c20107f826e6e463ad8dd.png

April + May 2023

2. SNL

We started April with a couple of tough games, against the sides in 4th and 1st at the time. Getting just the one point from these ties certainly wasn't the worst outcome, but it did allow Rogaska to pull three points clear of us.

Our next few games were a bit kinder, with a midtable side and two relegation threatened teams. We did what we needed to and took the full nine points available. Meanwhile Rogaska earned only a single point in this spell, and we leaped above them and created a five point advantage of our own.

Getting smashed by Ilirija wasn't part of the plan, but Rogaska lost at the same time. This left us five points ahead of Rogaska, with two games to play. And the next match was away at their place.

968a7527fda4241f31be0a5d3fc72848.png

We should have battered Rogaska. We led 1-0, 2-1, and 3-1 but somehow conceded three times from an xGA of just 0.69 to finish the game 3-3. The berate team button took a pounding throughout the 90 minutes, but looking on the bright side it was enough to ensure that they couldn't overtake us. 2nd place in the table was confirmed.

Could we prepare for the play-offs with a win on the final day? No, we were bloody awful. The one upside was that both strikes came from academy graduates, and A13 Dejan Jurisic notched his first goal for the club.

2ad70ae84196ee246a1bf07d9189b45e.png

Wahey!

We'll be taking on Mura in the play-off after they finished 9th in the 1. SNL. The first leg will be at our place, second leg at theirs. 

Ominously our ex-striker Sandro Jovanovic is on their books. He only has 1 goal in 14 games for them, so he'll have something to prove. 

Probably shouldn't have typed that. I can feel the FM Gods awakening...

a988e1115fd50648425eecf942f6bcf5.png

May 2023

Play-Off - First Leg

Yes boys!

Around about 80 minutes I was thinking 'This 1-0 lead is great, but we've had 15 shots with only 3 on target and just the 1 goal. Could do with another or we'll regret it." Then we scored again a minute later.

46201c5eb83d26394951a88fd031df69.png

Play-Off - Second Leg

Ah, ****. **** **** ****.

At half-time we were 1-0 down, and it was one-way traffic. We'd barely gotten out of our half.

We improved after the break, but even so our first shot didn't come until the 70th minute. We were then making more chances in the final 20 minutes, but our attack was utterly woeful. And we were punished. Somehow Mura broke away with a three-on-one attack in the 89th minute, and bagged an equaliser.

The game went to extra-time and it looked like we'd hold out for penalties until the 121st minute, when Duje Biuk saved from close range, only for the rebound to fall for their other striker to poke into the net.

The dream is over.

cff95b4f4e7cb6a5ee1e9df4129c9fc9.png

2022/23 Season Review

Players

Annoyingly, Scumbag Vinko Bicanic was voted player of the season by the fans, who evidently aren't bothered about contract tampering. In fairness, he was pretty good, picking up 7 MOTM awards throughout the season and having an average rating of 7.42, much higher than anyone else. He probably deserves a shot at the 1. SNL with Domzale.

At the other end of the pitch Nik Omladic was again the star man, outdoing his contributions from last year with 17 goals and 13 assists this time around.

Scumbag Vinko Bicanic and Duje Biuk both made the 2. SNL team of the season.

Giuseppe Barone will be the other departure this summer, off to America with Indy Eleven. Not as big a loss, and his contributions have been underwhelming, but we can't keep losing senior players at this rate. I need to get better at renewing contracts earlier.

40915b150b47bd104a63014e3d3bf19f.png

History + Facilities

This failure hurt. I never thought it would be possible at the start of the season, but when we stayed near the top and became real contenders I got my hopes up. Feels like that was probably our big chance, could be a while before we get up there again.

We received £252k through investments during the season, and another £43k for the final league position, but our bank balance still ended up down on last year.

At the end of the season requests were submitted to improve youth training and youth recruitment, but both were rejected.

9bdffc6d18c3f9f37aac320298ab6386.png

Edited by DaneBramage

August + September 2024

Departure

One additional player left over the summer. I didn't want to let Omar Kocar go, but once the offer came in he wanted to leave and wouldn't talk about a new contract, so it made sense to take the money for him now. If he makes at least 50 appearances for Radnik Surdulica (Serbia) the total fee will be £134k.

5598abdb1121158eda4292b7f4b4f20c.png

Expectations

I think we'll be trying to integrate more youth academy players this year, so I don't have high hopes for the season. Midtable will do.

b71a911fab9b10601431d1ab975d9ba5.png  d44b54e086aa8e32715a2a57fc4bad07.png

Slovenian Cup

Out of the cup at the earliest stage possible. I thought it was to a non-league, but it wasn't quite that bad; Vipava are now in the same league as us after being promoted.

89a4158cab3fac1134d63b30538af3ef.png

2. SNL

We're either good, or we're bad. No middle ground.

Nik Omladic is the main man as always, he's directly contributed to 60% of our league goals so far.

A2 Marko Kozar is now 17 and eligible for the first-team, and he picked up his first goal in the big win over Dob.

7004ebe4a3a5cf4d82bb21fa22226b6f.png

We've been up and down the table over the opening months, but as things start to stabilise we sit bang in the middle.

I'd be happy with this come the end of the year.

d0abb9bc355a17ce533f0a6e2b55634e.png

October + November + December 2024

In Demand

I believe this is the first interview I've been invited to. Declined it of course as the intention is for this to a one club save. Mura are currently bottom of the 1. SNL, 8 points adrift.

bb8f7b2d71e2c86f4eefc493276d24ab.png

Youth Preview

Probably shouldn't get my hopes up for anything worthwhile from this.

e27351e077e4519f69134fc534508ecc.png

2. SNL

October (and the opening game of November) was miserable. Terrible performances, a lot of dropped points and fines.

In November I changed the formation, dropping back the AMC to DMC instead. I also decided to start picking a few less academy players for now, just going with the strongest XI each time out. I know that their development will take a hit, but we needed to get some points on the table, and arrest our slump down the rankings.

Luckily, it worked, and we picked up 10 points from the next 12 available. A5 Lukasz Fedoruk has been the only academy graduate starting, and he's hit a bit of a purple patch. The winter break has come at the wrong time for him.

a77437db1956218d8c2b806fed656bc6.png

It's pretty similar so far to my first season. We either win or we lose, with not many draws. We've got a decent buffer over the relegation places so should be okay.

3494c63401a72e7026e6e45ef8ca12ba.png

Edited by DaneBramage

2024 Youth Intake

f9120980469c87d3491ebbff91698fe6.png >>>>>>>>>> e02bffa66efca5794dd8dacf4da607f5.png

I didn't get my hopes up, and yet somehow I'm still disappointed. 

Terrible all round. Only a few players with much potential, and the awful personalities will prevent them amounting to anything. C3 Andrej Levacic is probably the only one with any chance of making the first-team, and even then he's a bit short for a centre-back.

My senior coaching team have an average determination attribute of 12.

My youth coaching team have an average determination attribute of 8.75 (Kristijan Brumen will be replaced when his contract runs out in the summer.

As a whole, the coaching team has an average determination attribute of 10.7.

Yet the intake has an average determination attribute of just 6.75.

Spoiler

e2651f4f3ba895ce3cda9c9dcc84a593.png

06222e8e5bbcf840ca41275d91c37d1b.png

a8b2ad209badd8aa4a942311651c8537.png

March + April + May 2025

2. SNL

B2 Peter Trdin grabbing a 93rd minute was a great way to mark his debut, and three more goals within the month continued his cracking introduction to the first-team.

That's about the only good news in this update though, as we went on a miserable 10 game run without winning.

It looked like we'd get back to winning ways against Vipava when we led 3-0 at half-time, but somehow managed to conceded five times in the second-half.

At least we ended the season with a win, and B1 Nejc Ceh scored his first.

07df763ef8350754496aada7aea408e7.png

This isn't very good.

I think I'm going to get fired.

cfd01e7bc49ff73640eb51741ec4a6e1.png

1 hour ago, Deisler26 said:

Oooof. Sorry to hear this, buddy!

Thanks. Bit of a bummer, once we started aquaplaning we just couldn't pull out of it. Maybe youth only isn't for me.

No rest for the wicked though, I'm already planning for what's next. I didn't go with my original plan for FM23 as the club in question had folded and a couple of people had similar ideas anyway, but now I think I've found a suitable alternative I'm happy with.

19 minutes ago, DaneBramage said:

Thanks. Bit of a bummer, once we started aquaplaning we just couldn't pull out of it. Maybe youth only isn't for me.

No rest for the wicked though, I'm already planning for what's next. I didn't go with my original plan for FM23 as the club in question had folded and a couple of people had similar ideas anyway, but now I think I've found a suitable alternative I'm happy with.

Good thread, enjoyed reading it. I would say that the beta has caused some issues with player development and youth intake. Would love you to do another one on full release in a different nation. Gg