Quick tactical question on placement of player

Hi and appreciate all help in advance.

is there value to placing a player in an asymmetrical position to counter a threat. Eg see below. DM pulled to the left.

I recently played Liverpool And wanted to give Salah  less room on the counter, hence the decision. It failed miserably so wondering if it’s just a bad idea? 
cheers all.

73652FDF-9152-481A-864A-13DA6DE0217B.thumb.png.1f10aadbae438afbf1af672cc6e41ac3.png

1 hour ago, SimonHoddle said:

Hi and appreciate all help in advance.

is there value to placing a player in an asymmetrical position to counter a threat. Eg see below. DM pulled to the left.

I recently played Liverpool And wanted to give Salah  less room on the counter, hence the decision. It failed miserably so wondering if it’s just a bad idea? 
cheers all.

73652FDF-9152-481A-864A-13DA6DE0217B.thumb.png.1f10aadbae438afbf1af672cc6e41ac3.png

To be fair, asymmetrical tactics can work, it does come down to some degree of balance though. As long as there are no obvious holes that could leave you exposed and sufficient cover, I don't see why it wouldn't work. 

There are other ways to give a player less room on the counter, but I can't help but feel that, having an anchor behind a deep lying playmaker wouldn't have given the desired result. Maybe having him closed down more or marked tighter would have been a better option. 

Don't get me wrong, I am, by no means, a tactical genius, but if I was playing a tactic with an offset anchor, I would have cut the reigns on the player in front of him.