[Suggestion] Player Interaction and In-Game Cues for Playing Time Expectations and Happiness

Harper

Originating in a thread in the general forum

There are a few areas where information could be presented to help me, the manager, to understand the player's expectations and frustrations when a player is frustrated with his playing time. I'm not talking hover tips or info buttons that instruct the FM player what's going on.

In the thread above, players are frustrated with their playing time, but the game shows the same value for expected and actual playing time.

So, the game could offer a few clues as to what the various playing times mean in the way of agent feedback during the negotiations.

1. Contract Negotiations
    • When making the initial promise, the agent panel could perhaps be more descriptive on the promise's page
      • When I indicate the player as a Star the agent panel could read "{Player} expects to start every important game he's available for."
        • Important being related to the board's expectations (Semi-finals/Finals excluded), so resting Ronaldo or Salah for an early Carabao Cup match isn't going to result in a dust up
      • The language, but the point is, the information is there, if I take the time to read the feedback the game is giving me. It also might help immersion in the negotiation process?
  2. Match Commentary
    • There should be some indication of a player's mood and interaction with the manager as he is taken off.
      • Visible displays: clapping the fans, surprise/confusion at seeing his number on the board, angry face, shaking his head, head hanging, ignoring manager's handshake
    • I'll be honest, I don't read EVERYTHING on the commentary bar, so maybe there is some of this.
    • The purpose again, would be that game would be providing feedback with regards to the player's expectations and mentality, but I may not notice it if I'm not paying attention.
  3. In-match interaction
    • I'd like to be able to give a talk to player(s) coming off the pitch.
    • First there are gestures similar to some of the news item interactions handshake, pat on the back, arm around, or a bro-hug.
    • Player could accept or deny the gesture
      • Varying degrees from enthusiastically returning to slapping away your hand or storming past and ignoring me.
    • Opportunity to say something
      • Great game, I know it's an early sub, but this game is done and dusted and we need you fresh for the next match.
      • Maybe you blow smoke up his ass and tell him he was brilliant and it's just precluding injury when he wasn't  
      • Maybe you're honest and tell him you wanted to see something different or he wasn't following tactical instructions.
  4. Social Media Feeds
    • After a match, there could by comments in the social media panel:
      • "{Player} did not look happy when he was subbed off in the 70th minute. #StormsComing"
      • "Did you see {Player} just ignore Harper after being substituted so early? #TroubleInParadise"
    • I could be off-base, but the in-game social media seems to be all fluff and nothing of importance. If there are nuggets of information in there that help you identify a problem earlier and prevent a direct confrontation, maybe the feature of the game will get more attention.
      • Nip it in the bud. Horticulture Baby!
    • Between matches: "Sources close to {Player} suggest he is not happy with his manager's in-game management or overall squad rotation/management"
    • And the risk? It's just social media, do you trust it? Proceed with caution! ⚠️ 
      • Is it click-bait or is a legit complaint. 🤷‍♂️  
      • Does the user have the same last name as the player? Is it his cousin mouthing off?
  5. Media
    • Simple press post-match press conference questions:
      • "Can you explain the substitution of Erling Haaland in the 70'?"
      • "This is the third game in four where Haaland has been taken substituted. Is there a reason he's not playing a full 90'?"
        • Answers:
          • He's not up to full fitness
          • He's nursing an injury
          • We're playing it safe so he's available for the next match
          • He's performed brilliantly in these games and wanted to change to a more defensive/controlling/protective tactic and see out the match.
          • et al
    • Maybe it's a rehash of what you said to the player in the team talk, maybe you say something contrary and opens up a can of worms. But that it is being discussed would be a trigger a thought, "hmm, subbing this guy off early generates a lot of buzz."
      • You told the player it was to give him a rest, but you told the press it was a tactical shakeup.
        • Bad, mixed messaging and your star player always thinks he's good enough to be the solution
      • You told the player it was because he wasn't playing well, but you told the press it was to give him a rest
        • Good, you're honest with the player, he may not like it, but the fact that you didn't make it public shows him you respect him
    • I think the only time I see a media question about substitutions was because I subbed on a player then subbed him off later (usually an injury in the first 10' and he was tired after 80')
  6. Agent Interactions
    • If things really get out of hand, the agent, depending on the agent's personality, they could be ringing up you or your DoF, could be leaking info to the press (related back to social media), or you might see an influx of offers for the player because the agent is offering his client to other clubs.

• 4 months later...
  • SI Staff

Thanks for all the suggestions, when we log requests we tend to need more information on each point as we have to log each suggestion individually. A few of these have been raised before and so the are already part of the database of features to consider. They all may yet be rejected or with further development end up in a future iteration of the game.