Italy, non-EU player issue

I'm four seasons into a Serie A game with Cagliari. I'm aware that there are restrictions on signing non-EU players and have mostly avoided doing so, except for picking up one Uruguayan teenager to try and comply with Cagliari's preference for signing Uruguayan players. Approaching the new season he was the only player in my senior/U20/U18 squad with a nonEU tag.

Mason Greenwood's contract was running out at ManU. Now, I'd tried to bring him in last summer on loan, but I'd hit the limit for nonEU players due to the Uruguayan. Greenwood went back to ManU and *cough* acquired Irish dual nationality as I kept a beady eye on his contract. As the season ends, my Cagliari team are the new Serie A and Coppa Italia winners and Greenwood agrees to join on a Bosman.

Problem: When I go to register him, he's flagged as non-eligible.

Now, I accept that this could be a consequence of my editing the save game to give Greenwood Irish nationality, and the game recorded him as non-EU last season so still thinks he's non-EU now even though we've ticked over into a new season. However, whereas before I could kick him back to ManU, this time around he's not for moving, not on a 5 year deal at 70k per week. Experimenting with the editor, I moved the Uruguayan to clubs in other countries but still Greenwood's flagged as ineligible. I also gave the kid a free transfer, but I still couldn't register Greenwood.

So, what can I do from here? Right now Greenwood's worth 35 million and my best striker - but I can't play him. When the registration window opens, he's ineligible, whether or not the Uruguayan is at the club. As I understand it, he has to leave the country as well as just the club, so I can't free transfer him (he's based in Italy) and no-one wants to buy him if I just put him up for sale.

Any suggestions? Will I miraculously be able to register Greenwood when the squad returns from their holidays? Do I have to loan him out to another side for a year and try registering him again next season? Or as I've seen suggested elsewhere, set up a deal where another club buys him and I immediately buy him back? Is this all SI's way of messing with me for using the editor? :D

EDIT: I transferred Greenwood out of my team and then straight back in again, and was able to register him without issue. This may have come about because the transfer was arranged 'last' season, i.e. before his contract expired.

Edited by Majick