MLS Salary Cap

phantom1998

Using the Pre-game Editor I've FUNCTIONALLY raised the cap without actually editting it without using Advanced Rules.

1)   In Pre-Game Editor Select - Currency, search for U.S. Dollar and change the Exchange Rate.  I believs ve default Exchange Rate for U.S. Dollar is 1.288 (1.288 US Dollars = 1 Pound).  By lowering Exchange Rate to 1, the MLS Salary Cap is raised from $78,000 to $100,000 (just over 28% increase).

By lowered the number in the Exhange Rate (for ex .9, .85, etc US Dollar = Pound) the cap will raise further. 

2)  In Pre-Game Editor Select - Nations, search for United States, go to Transfers and Contracts > Tax Rules.  Lower the Income Taxes for any or all Income Ranges.   You can also lower, or elimate, the VAT, National Insurance and Pension tax rates.  By lowering, or elimating these taxes, while it won't raise the Salary Cap (like changing Exchange Rate does), it will increase player Post Tax wages.   This can increase Post Tax Wages for higher paid players up to roughly 45%. 

It will be less of an increase to players at lower salaries do to the "progressive" tax rates) 

The tax tweak is cool.  I initially used it to RAISE the taxes in China and Middle-East nations in an attempt to make it less attractive to top players.  

Tax rates can also be set differently for foreign players than domestic players.   

One knock on effect of altering Exchange Rate is that in addition to functionally raising the cap, it will also raise the DP cap charge.  Which can lead to having players making LESS than the DP charge, being charged at higher DP cap rate.   This is also sometimes the case in default Database with players making less than the full DP cap rate.  I dont know if this is an error, or yet another complexity of MLS financial rules.  

I use the Pre-Game Editor and switch contract types from Designated Player to Fulltime for anyone making LESS than the cap charge.  

If I remove DP desgination for a player I check the Club Detail screen to make sure "Extra Designated Player Slot (MLS clubs only) is UN-ticked.

Or, when I've added a 3rd DP to a club that didn't previously have 3 DPs, make sure to TICK that box.

I dont know if that makes a difference at all in the game, or if the game adjusts automatically, but I do it to try to avoid any potential problems.

I've never actually managed in MLS, I've just wanted it to be a somewhat stronger league in my games.  

Another thing you can do if you want to make MLS more attractive to players, is to raise the Competition and or clubs reputations. 

If you're planning on a long term US based save, raising the US Game Importance and Youth Rating will make a difference over a few seasons.  (found on Nations>United States>Information)

Thanks 

1 hour ago, DominicForza said:

The tax tweak is cool.  I initially used it to RAISE the taxes in China and Middle-East nations in an attempt to make it less attractive to top players.  

Tax rates can also be set differently for foreign players than domestic players.   

One knock on effect of altering Exchange Rate is that in addition to functionally raising the cap, it will also raise the DP cap charge.  Which can lead to having players making LESS than the DP charge, being charged at higher DP cap rate.   This is also sometimes the case in default Database with players making less than the full DP cap rate.  I dont know if this is an error, or yet another complexity of MLS financial rules.  

I use the Pre-Game Editor and switch contract types from Designated Player to Fulltime for anyone making LESS than the cap charge.  

If I remove DP desgination for a player I check the Club Detail screen to make sure "Extra Designated Player Slot (MLS clubs only) is UN-ticked.

Or, when I've added a 3rd DP to a club that didn't previously have 3 DPs, make sure to TICK that box.

I dont know if that makes a difference at all in the game, or if the game adjusts automatically, but I do it to try to avoid any potential problems.

I've never actually managed in MLS, I've just wanted it to be a somewhat stronger league in my games.  

Another thing you can do if you want to make MLS more attractive to players, is to raise the Competition and or clubs reputations. 

If you're planning on a long term US based save, raising the US Game Importance and Youth Rating will make a difference over a few seasons.  (found on Nations>United States>Information)

Thanks for all the helpful tips.  Much appreciated. 

On 22/03/2021 at 20:24, phantom1998 said:

Does anyone know if there's a way to just edit the Salary Cap of the MLS without having to recreate it from scratch?

Thanks in advance

I dont have the MLS to test, however I removed the salary cap from English Leagues 1 and 2 on a lower league editor I added under advanced rules, then fixture rules, then squad selection rules.

Both of these leagues had a wage cap (that is removed in the newest update, but not on my lower league editor) which I have removed and set to 60% of turnover.

• 9 months later...
On 22/03/2021 at 16:24, phantom1998 said:

Does anyone know if there's a way to just edit the Salary Cap of the MLS without having to recreate it from scratch?

Thanks in advance

I have figured out how to change the cap using Advanced Rules.   I THINK I figued out how to REMOVE the cap entirely using Advanced Rules, but I dont want to do that, so haven't actually tried it

• 4 months later...
On 30/12/2021 at 14:20, DominicForza said:

I have figured out how to change the cap using Advanced Rules.   I THINK I figued out how to REMOVE the cap entirely using Advanced Rules, but I dont want to do that, so haven't actually tried it

This is now a lot easier in Advanced Rules with the 2022 editor.

Open up the advanced rules for MLS: you want to go to the competition rules->Additional Helpers and open the page for the MLS helper rules. Basically all the significant dollar amounts are now straightforwardly editable without breaking anything else (drafts, trades, etc).

1624110_20220501201820_1.thumb.png.22542c3c476a5ea2bb3c5f584c943224.png 

MLS squad registration breaks if you try and remove the maximum salary cap impact and the designated player limit, and I'm not sure the salary cap can be totally removed without the usual step of simply removing the MLS rules entirely, but in my tinkering everything else on this page (salary cap, minimum salaries, annual payouts of both kinds of allocation money) can be edited to taste, and can be scaled as desired over the years in a save.

In my personal edit (pictured above), I've zeroed out both annual general and targeted allocation money, and raised the cap amount and maximum salary cap impact instead to make things more straightforward to manage. I haven't gotten long into a save with it yet so I'm not sure what it'll do to the AI, but I've been wanting to try this in FM for years and I'm glad it's now possible.

On 01/05/2022 at 21:48, Dallan said:

Open up the advanced rules for MLS: you want to go to the competition rules->Additional Helpers and open the page for the MLS helper rules. Basically all the significant dollar amounts are now straightforwardly editable without breaking anything else (drafts, trades, etc).

MLS squad registration breaks if you try and remove the maximum salary cap impact and the designated player limit, and I'm not sure the salary cap can be totally removed without the usual step of simply removing the MLS rules entirely, but in my tinkering everything else on this page (salary cap, minimum salaries, annual payouts of both kinds of allocation money) can be edited to taste, and can be scaled as desired over the years in a save.

In my personal edit (pictured above), I've zeroed out both annual general and targeted allocation money, and raised the cap amount and maximum salary cap impact instead to make things more straightforward to manage. I haven't gotten long into a save with it yet so I'm not sure what it'll do to the AI, but I've been wanting to try this in FM for years and I'm glad it's now possible.

Thanks.  I subsequently have used Advanced Rules to tinker with MLS cap rules.  Good idea on removing the GAM/TAM and just raising the cap.  Simplifies things and may help AI.  

AI is still TERRIBLE at using DP slots (hey, just like IRL!).  I haven't paid enough attention to how well they manage the GAM/TAM.  

Also, thanks for the heads up about needing to keep DPs and max cap impact.   

I haven't played an MLS save, the AI is SO BAD at cap management.   I do like to make MLS a little stronger (not too much) and more importantly to be able to grow stronger over time.  Really adds to the "world" in long term saves.  

I probably won't tinker with it again for FM22...but FM23 look out!

Thanks for the tips.

• 9 months later...
On 01/05/2022 at 21:48, Dallan said:

This is great man, thanks for showing us. It still works in FM23 as well for raising the salary cap. I'm about to test if the AI can actually handle it.....

Edited by LFCStevieG69

• 3 months later...