Long Shots Overpowered

Senak

I've noticed for a while long shots have been overpowered especially in lower leagues, as players skill isn't as good it should be rarer to see great shots scored from outside the box.

In the pkm I attached there's 5 incidents of long shots either scoring or hitting the post and I know it can happen in a game and while this is on a higher scale than I normally see, I am seeing a lot of long range goals

4 min - goal (made worse from the keep hoofing it long while instructed to keep it short and players open beside him)

38 min - hits the post from quite far out

40 min - another effort hitting the post

48 min - goal from not too far outside the box

83 min - another goal from a decent range

It seems that if a player has a bit of space they just become lethal from a distance.

Galway Utd v Wexford.pkm

I have noticed this too. It's almost like, when the game wants to score a goal against you, it'll either do a freekick where the player will pass it and take a long shot, or just in general, long shots around the outside of the area are flying in in the lower leagues (I'm playing in the National League). I've also scored quite a few long range goals. The accuracy is unreal from these standard of players!

Edited by ZWS

It feels like to me that when there's a match between two 'poor' teams the general standard of play is raised so that the lower attributes don't result in games where no-one can complete a pass or shoot on target. When these same players play in a game against stronger opposition they will suddenly be incapable of doing anything particularly impressive. Likewise when your backup striker plays for the under-18s he'll suddenly look world-class, doing ridiculously good things you've never seen him do in three years around the first-team.

The flip side to this is that in real-life, there are excellent technical players playing in the lower leagues or even Sunday League. You've still got to be a very good footballer to play in semi-professional football, they just don't have the mental or physical ability (or desire to stay away from booze, drugs or nightclubs) to go further up. I've played with players where a free-kick or 25 yarder with plenty of time was basically an automatic goal. The goalkeepers being of a lower standard obviously helps in FM and real-life, though.

The 1-20 scale isn't great for conveying the ability of a semi-professional or even decent amateur player, having been devised way back in the original Championship Manager when only the top four divisions were in the game. If you see a rating of 3 you think 'rubbish' and compared to Messi, yes, but compared to the typical spanner who can barely kick a ball we see in the Soccer AM car-park, he is Messi.

Edited by MadBeagle81

Just to show more examples in my last 3 games there has been 1 goal scored outside the box on each occasion, this is more inline with what I see regularly.

Shelbourne game - 46th min shot outside the box with great power. This team is a lot better than us so this on it's own doesn't seem strange as they have good quality players for this level but it matches the trend of a lot of long range goals

Cabinteely game - 70th min we score a free kick outside the box. I've not seen too many direct free kick goals so I'm not sure if this matches with non dead ball long range efforts

Bray Wanderers - 32nd min they score an amazing strike from outside the box.

I've checked the stats from the Premier League to League 2 and the highest goals from outside the box per game I can find is .4, I can't find stats for teams conceding goals from outside the box but basing it off that 6 in my last 4 games seems way too high.

Cabinteely v Wexford.pkm Wexford v Bray Wanderers.pkm Wexford v Shelbourne.pkm