Am I being cynical? Widgets

First off, I am impressed with the new match engine and the game as a whole but i did prefer the widgets and i'm thinking that their port to xbox was the reason they were removed as widgets would be hard to use with an xbox controller imo....maybe they didn't get chance cos of this covid but i do miss them...also i miss the old post match report that had a little texted report on the players etc.

If i'm wrong explain why? as i cannot see any reason to remove them

Edited by hsainty
Forgot to put Widgets in the title

I can't speak for SI but I'm pretty confident the aim is nothing so cynical, but down to conveying (what they consider/have researched to be) a more realistic match day experience. Here are a few key quotes which would make me think that:

"For FM21, we wanted to better replicate the feeling of managing from the dugout and we’ve focused on key information and elements of the beautiful game as a result."

This, to me, clearly states an intention to replicate how it might feel to be in the actual dugout.

"The final element of the Dugout section is the ‘Show Me’ menu which replicates the information that a manager can request to view during a match. From this menu you can bring up match stats, player stats for both teams, the opposition’s formation and, once your analyst (if you have one) is able to work out the information, the roles the opposition are using, as well as latest scores from games elsewhere and a live league table."

This clearly states the aim of replicating what a manager is able to request in an actual match. The point about the roles/data analyst further consolidates that view point.

Source: https://www.footballmanager.com/features/matchday 

Edit: on mobile so apologies for any silly formatting.

Edited by DeepThought

Fair enough but it is a game we pay for so why not give customers the option. If this is the way it is going then things like replays of incidents like offsides etc. what managers can't see should be removed.

4 minutes ago, hsainty said:

Fair enough but it is a game we pay for so why not give customers the option. 

Why ? 

I've don't know of many (any really) major developers who do that. And are you wanting consultation on every change they make? I don't mean to sound cantankerous there, I'm just not sure where that expectation comes from? 

I can't speak for how they will or won't go in the future.

Most games have options for this and that i mean if people use the paid ingame editor they have the option to become unsackable etc. If i remember we used to have the option to remove stadiums/fans/scenery if a pc wasn't upto scratch

• hsainty changed the title to Am I being cynical? Widgets

Whilst I understand your viewpoint, we're not talking about a this and that or a feature for lower end computers. We're talking about a conscious decision to take a significant element of the game in a certain direction (based on the afore linked article/ quotes - if I'm wrong about that someone please feel free to correct me). The two things are a little different.

Which is fair enough. It might not be the game for you anymore. Equally, they might decide to reimplement widgets. There's no way for me to know.

Either way, I can't see any evidence to suggest widgets were removed for your cynical reason which was your original point.

On 29/12/2020 at 22:08, Asfolath89 said:

I can't speak for SI but I'm pretty confident the aim is nothing so cynical, but down to conveying (what they consider/have researched to be) a more realistic match day experience. Here are a few key quotes which would make me think that:

"For FM21, we wanted to better replicate the feeling of managing from the dugout and we’ve focused on key information and elements of the beautiful game as a result."

This, to me, clearly states an intention to replicate how it might feel to be in the actual dugout.

"The final element of the Dugout section is the ‘Show Me’ menu which replicates the information that a manager can request to view during a match. From this menu you can bring up match stats, player stats for both teams, the opposition’s formation and, once your analyst (if you have one) is able to work out the information, the roles the opposition are using, as well as latest scores from games elsewhere and a live league table."

This clearly states the aim of replicating what a manager is able to request in an actual match. The point about the roles/data analyst further consolidates that view point.

Source: https://www.footballmanager.com/features/matchday 

Edit: on mobile so apologies for any silly formatting.

Its still a ludicrous decision to change something that worked for a method that is obviously worse. If they really wanted it to be realistic then SI should finally implement a dual screen mode so you can see the match and have the "tablet" on another screen. Definitely agree with information gradually appearing as it becomes available but the current implementation of accessing the data is awful.

1 hour ago, dunk105 said:

Its still a ludicrous decision to change something that worked for a method that is obviously worse. If they really wanted it to be realistic then SI should finally implement a dual screen mode so you can see the match and have the "tablet" on another screen. Definitely agree with information gradually appearing as it becomes available but the current implementation of accessing the data is awful.

Hope you don't mind me interjecting, I know this was a reply to someone else.

You're stating your opinion as fact, let's differentiate the two here. It isn't obviously worse. It's subjectively worse. An opinion shared by many others who choose to be vocal about, but not all. There's a saying in customer service - only one in every ten happy customers will tell you, but every single unhappy one will complain. I feel that applies here, because you can't objectively prove it is worse, nor can you prove its disliked by the masses. It's disliked by a vocal group but we don't know how large that group is.  It's different and people struggle with change (despite the fact there's a rhetoric from another vocal group who argue nothing changes every year and it's a reskin). It's not ludicrous, because there is clear logic to the decision (whether you or I agree or like that logic).

At first I was vary of it. It's grown on me, but I certainly think there's progress to be made. I think your idea is good, you should post it on the features request section. Personally, I think the balance is probably the ability to have one tablet (or widget) which you have to change the screen of. You could favourite certain 'tabs' for ease of access. And, as you say, I also agree with the gradual dissemination of information. 

Edit - auto correct

Edited by DeepThought