Reading FC - FM21

collisonmullan

Have just start a new save as Reading. The club starts with a target of top half and to

‘repairs the clubs financial damage’

Straight away I went about doing that as I had no budget and no wage available. I got rid of a few youngsters for minimal fees. Sold Meite for £1.7m rising to £2.2m. As well as loaning out Aluko, Walker and Holmes. This freed up a bit of money to play with. 

I initially signed Arvin Appiah for £1.5m using the Meite money, and Josh Martin on loan from Norwich, these game me 2 very good options out wide and a bit more cover up to. 

Then the board has to accept Tottenham’s £8m offer for Michael Olise. I had planned to build around him so it was disappointing. But it completed the financial target and gave me some more money to strengthen the squad. 

I cancelled the loan on Gibson and brought in Branthwaite who I just prefer. I then signed Jacob Ramsey and Joe Rankin-Costello from Villa and Blackburn. Both for £1.5m again. Ramsey can plan CM and AMC and will get game time off the bench. Rankin-Costello was unhappy at Blackburn and wanted more money which I could offer. Comes in as my best AML, plus he is super versatile. 

Finally on deadline day I was able to bring in Aaron Ramsey from Villa, Jacobs brother, who is 2 years younger, same position and even better potential. And Luke Matheson just as an extra body on loan. 

Part of the club vision is sign players to sell for a profit which is something we can definitely do here. The club are only expected to finish 16th and after 5 games we have won 3, drawn 1 and lost 1. And are in 4th place. 

Just coming up to the January transfer window and this is what the table currently looks like.

2107076014_Screenshot2020-12-18at11_09_19.thumb.png.88ec65be948a071e8157eef15db1abfa.png

It is very close at the top with 6 points separating 1st and 9th. Obviously our goal was to finish mid-table. If we were able to keep up this form and be around the play-offs and keep our important players for next season, this would have been a huge success. 

Financially, don't have many options in the transfer window. I have agreed to sign Kyle Edwards from West Brom, his contract was running out so was able to get him cheaper than expected. Looks like he will fit in well anywhere across my attacking midfield 3.

On a side note, Rafael (gk), wanted a move, so I agreed to it as it helped the financial struggles and his form wasn't great. With this in mind, I thought with it being a bit of a transition year and with how well we have been doing to give Boyce-Clarke a run in the team, and he has been excellent.

I have some targets in mind, but our hands are really tied financially so will have to pick wisely. I am open to selling one of Jaoa or Puscas, as neither have been amazing, both have contributed but haven't been consistent. So if I can get a decent fee and perhaps a loan, thinking Liam Delap. Longer term I would like to signed Armstrong/ Brewster but that is a long way off.

I got my initial assessment of my youth intake with it being a golden generation, so hopefully can get 1 or 2 who can add something.