Scouts: Personality, Tendency and Cognitive Bias

leviathan1904

As I have already mentioned here...

... in my point of view, scouting is far too easily exploitable. The judging ability of a scout is linearly related to just one respective value with the consequence of a generated static objectivity, which is actually missing in real life. Experience matters, of course. A scout working for maybe decades in the scouting business will be able to make sound judgments based on his wealth of experience. But none the less, I strongly believe that cognitive bias still plays a role as well.

Perhaps it would be possible to make scouting more difficult if such cognitive biases were taken into account more. 

1065667638_Bildschirmfoto2020-07-01um11_35_50.thumb.png.2e06c832537335735c81ce7aad026ab6.png

Every scout has a personality, a preferred tactical style and playing style as you can see above. I suggest that these aspects should have a distorting effect or tendency in their judgement of players. A scout with a fairly sporting personality likes subconsciously players with a similar, comparable personality. So he may overestimate them a little bit and underestimates others. It is his blind spot. 

The preferred styles should also have an effect in the same manner:

201532471_Bildschirmfoto2020-07-01um11_36_20.thumb.png.1612ca65bb19250683a73e9e1ff5042d.png

Maybe a scout who prefers a specific playing style has also a cognitive bias in respect to "player styles" (see above, general focus). So he may overestimate them a little bit and underestimates others.

A consequence would be overall that it would make more sense to have one and the same player watched by several scouts because all opinions are of higher importance due to cognitive biases. 

• 2 weeks later...