The Jolly Boys Outing

sherm

“I won’t lie to you Jim, it’s not going to be easy. We haven’t got the funds to compete with many of the teams at this level and building a decent squad could take time. All I’m asking is that you keep us afloat and work on building a squad”

James Waterford sipped his tea, pondering as he did so

“OK. One question though – why me?”

A chuckle came across the desk, the broader man smiling to himself

“Jim, there was only you that had any interest in the job. We’re not exactly a big club. While we’re on that, we can’t afford luxury accommodation, so we’ve provided you with a club flat. It’s basic, but comfortable”

He threw a set of keys across the desk, aswell as a folder

“That’s everything you need there. The lads are due back for training on Monday, and your backroom team will be in tomorrow, so you’ll have the weekend with them”

Both men stood up and shook hands, meaning James Waterford was confirmed as the new manager of Margate Football Club.

--

The club played at Hartsdown Park, a small but decent enough ground in the centre of Margate. Playing in the Conference was always going to be tough, but with sides like Boston, Southport and Doncaster in there, and one promotion place up for grabs, it wasn’t something he was harbouring an ambition for. His coaching staff was threadbare – Kevin Raine was his assistant manager, with Darren Braithwaite and Mark Harrop as coaches, Harrop also having a playing contract, while Alan Kendall was the sole scout at the club. His first priority was to strengthen in this area, so he fired off two adverts for staff to join the club

Monday morning, and the first day of training with his squad. He had stood back a little and allowed Kevin Raine to take the first session, seeing as he knew more about the lads, but it gave him a good idea of who was worth keeping and who would prove a useful player. Afterwards, with the squad gathered in the centre of the field, he spoke to them as a team

“Right lads, morning. For those of you who aren’t aware, I’m your new gaffer. I’m not here to make drastic changes – everyone will get an opportunity. I keep things simple, play three at the back and like to keep the ball on the floor, which is what we’ll be working on for the first couple of weeks of training – all I ask is you give one hundred percent every game you play”

Three days later, he was stood on the side of the training pitch when his phone distracted him from training

“Hello”

“…”

“Speaking”

“…”

“Hellp Stan. How are you mate?”

“…”

“No I haven’t yet as it happens”

“…”

“OK. Sounds good – why don’t you come to the club and we’ll sit down and discuss it. I have an applicant for the scouting job coming in on Sunday, so if you come the same day we can go through all the basics”

“…”

“Perfect. See you then big man”

It looked like his backroom team was starting to take shape, as Danny McGrain was coming to join as a scout, while his old teammate at Southend, Stan Collymore, had expressed an interest in the coaching role, and both men would be at the club on Sunday to finalise details. However, he had looked at the squad, and lack of depth meant that he needed a few more options bringing in

--

“Boss, got a minute?”

Kevin Raine had popped his head around the office door with a sheet of paper

“Sure Kev, come in”

“Cheers. Just wanted to come in and run a few possible transfers by you”

“OK. What have we got?”

He sat opposite, sliding the paper across the desk

“Hasson Talbot, Garforth. Quick, reads the game well and would be a great addition in defence. Shouldn’t be too difficult to prise away from them”

“OK. And who’s this lad at Radcliffe?”

“Dave Collins. Goal machine in the lower leagues, 84 goals in his last 75 games. I’ve made enquiries and he shouldn’t cost more than £20 grand, and he’s well worth it in my opinion”

“I agree. He looks perfect for that target man role. Anyone else?”

“Yeah, this one is free and wouldn’t want a high wage. Spanish lad called Agustin. He’s a holding midfielder but oozes class, could easily play at Division Two level – we’d have to move fast though as he’ll have a lot of clubs after him”

“OK Kev. Get offers in for all three of them and let’s get to work”

Edited by sherm

The talks with Collymore and McGrain had been swift and easy, and both men had agreed three year deals, and McGrain had immediately been packed off to look for talented players that were within our budget. Stan, on the other hand, wasted no time in making his mark on training

“Mo? What was that? You’ve got to go for the far corner there, every time”

“Come on Ian, jesus. My mum could have scored that!”

I was interrupted from my train of thought by the chairman

“Jim? Got a sec?”

“Sure. What’s up?”

“Just thought you should know, we’ve had bids for two players – I can’t really turn them down…”

“OK. Who, and how much?”

“Mike Munday – Rushden have offered £50 grand. Ian Hilaire too. Hull have offered £45 grand”

“OK. Well that is a lot of money. And we’ve got time to replace them. Besides, Ian is from Hull isn’t he? He’d want to go I would imagine. Mind if I tell the lads?”

They took it well, both agreeing to speak to the respective clubs, and he was resigned to the fact they would be on the way out. That being said, advanced talks were being held that afternoon with David Collins and Hasson Talbot, and Agustin was flying in the next day, so the squad was beginning to take shape

--

It hadn’t taken long to get Collins and Talbot on board, both keen to move up a few divisions, while Agustin was delighted to be back at a club after 12 months in the wilderness. All three men managed a couple of training sessions before our opening warm up game, as we welcomed Weston Super Mare. I knew very little about them, except that they were in the Isthmian First Division, but the strongest available team took to the field. Jay Saunders impressed, running the show from central midfield, while Mo Tako, the young Iranian who had been working with Stan, had also done well, and it was his solitary strike that had seen us ahead at the break. However, David Mogg, the 37 year old keeper from the visitors, had made several saves and been that good, I had sent Keith down to the opponents chairman to see how much he would cost

The second half was fairly easy, chances falling to three of our players early on, but again we were denied by the veteran ‘keeper, and it was only three minutes from time when he was beaten again, James Lamb sliding the ball home into the bottom corner and sealing a thoroughly professional victory. We had been quoted £7,000 for Mogg, a bid we matched, and the ‘keeper agreed terms within two hours after the game had finished, arranging his medical for the day after, providing some good cover for us between the sticks

Cheers Gav - glad to have you along

---

Agustin had fitted in well, delivering a few hard tackles in the first of his training sessions, much to the amusement of the lads, who took it all in good spirit. He had also recommended a friend to me that was a free agent, looking for a club, and while it was on a whim, Adolfo was duly contacted and invited for a trial – mind you, it took just fifteen minutes of that trial to draw up a contract – his skill and vision, aswell as his range of passing, was immediate for everyone to see

Both Spaniards were in the squad for the next game, which saw a trip to Ramsbottom, a comfortable game which was controlled with ease and composure. Obviously they weren’t on the same level, and by half time the score was 5-0, goals from Adolfo, Agustin, Mo Tako and a brace from Dave Collins sealing it. A whole new squad took to the field for the second half, one in which only two more goals were scored, the final score of 6-1 largely irrelevant

“John, welcome to the club son”

“Thanks boss. Just wanted to say thankyou for giving me the opportunity”

The diminutive Scot hadn’t stopped smiling since stepping foot through the door, and despite being just 18, he had all the confidence and swagger that he would be a vital asset for the team. John Rankin had cost nothing, having been released from Manchester United, and he had good passing and a great reading of the game, and it was an easy decision to sign him to a three year deal

Stan Collymore’s training sessions had proven popular with the team, and for the next two pre season games, he would be taking charge of the team from the bench. This would allow Jim to watch the game from the stands and see how the lads had adapted to his formation, while also giving him a birds eye view of what the football was like.

He would be joined in the stands by two possible signings too, as he had entered talks with midfielders Paul Sears and Steve Housham, both mean being given permission by their clubs to discuss terms. Housham was a box to box, hard working, but creative midfielder, while Sears loved to bomb forward and score goals, and both men would be great fits for the midfield he was trying to develop. He had been discussing terms with the men whilst watching his side play Cambridge Utd, their first real test of the pre season, and both of them had seemed keen prior to kick off – having watched their prospective new team mates dismantle the visitors 4-1, in a performance of breathtaking forward play and solid defensive work, they obviously felt it was a great fit and both men penned their deals within three hours of the game finishing. Dave Collins had again impressed, scoring once and making two, the Spanish duo of Adolfo and Agustin grabbing a goal apiece too, before a bullet header from Talbot sealed it

Edited by sherm

The squad was looking almost complete, the team were gelling and they were starting to play the formation enough that their new boss had set – things were going well and the mood was good – at least until the odds came out in the Conference Newspaper

“Stan, you seen this?”

He threw the paper across the desk to his coach

“50/1? Christ”

“I know. I think that’s seriously misleading. We’ve signed some good players, and I think we’re better than that gives us credit for”

Collymore raised his eyebrow, a knowing look on his face

“You think we’ll win the league?”

“No I’m not saying that. There’s only one place up for grabs and with the likes of Doncaster, Dagenham, Barnet and Southport, we’d have a job. I think we’ll be up there though, and then use this season as a stepping stone”

“Optimistic boss, I like it. You gonna show this to the lads?”

“No. Leave it in the top drawer. Our eyes only”

--

The final pre season game wasn’t much to write home about, a dour 0-0 draw against QPR, but it gave confidence in a different way, the solid and versatile defensive performance boding well for the season ahead. There was also one more addition to the squad, as young Nigerian forward Martins joined the club. He was only 16 but had all the attributes to succeed, his frightening pace and skill his most terrifying aspect, and while he looked overawed to sign his first professional contract, he got several comforting and warm words from his new manager and coaching team

The next week was spent working out the best team, debating among themselves and the final training sessions, but eventually, the opening day arrived, and Hartsdown Park couldn’t have got a more difficult visitor, as promotion favourites Dagenham were the visitors. Aside from Martins and John Rankin, all the new players started on the field, and any notion the critics had about whether they could gel together were dispelled within minutes, as the home side dominated the first half. Chances fell to Collins, Paul Sears, Lee Williams and Agustin, but despite all the good play and hard work, they hadn’t found the lead and at half time, the game was still scoreless. The had gone out for the second half with the usual same again mantra, and despite the visitors playing better, the lead was gained just before the hour mark, Sears sliding through Collins, who had the vision to cut it back for Adolfo to slip into the unguarded goal. This was the catalyst for the team to control the remainder of the game, and eventually the second goal came, Adolfo returning the favour and David Collins smashing home the debut goal he so richly deserved to vanquish the favourites

Edited by sherm

It had been a thoroughly clinical victory over Dagenham, one in which the side had excelled, so that evening he went to the local pub with Collymore and celebrated with a couple of pints

“Job well done that boss. Hopefully there will be plenty more”

“Let’s not get carried away – long way to go yet. It’s the away games that could cause us problems as I’m not convinced we have the pace to cope with teams who hit us on the break”

Both men left the pub around 11, heading back to their club flats, and both were immediately asleep as soon as they hit the pillow

--

We received a blow in the days leading up to the next game, as both David Collins and John Rankin picked up knocks, so Mo Tako took his place on the field as we visited Hayes. The home side were a team similar to us, although slightly more experienced at this level, and the opening 25 minute showed that, as David Mogg was forced into three decent saves to keep it level. He couldn’t hold us level past the interval though, as we found ourselves one behind at the break, the home side using their pace on the wings to take the lead. We came out blazing in the second half, chances falling our way, and it was Agustin who got us level with a superb strike, firing home from 25 yards to grab his first goal for the club. It goes without saying we should have wrapped the game up, Mo Tako missing three chances, but devastatingly we ended up losing, a slip by Lee Williams allowing the home side in, and they slid the ball home to send us crashing to defeat

It wasn’t time to panic – after all, we weren’t expected to compete much this season, but it was a disappointing way to lose the game. The lads were clearly feeling the same way, as they worked extra hard in training in the days leading up to the next game

“I’m thinking of starting Martins in the next game”

Stan Collymore looked up, his signature eyebrow raised

“OK. Dave?”

“Still not fit. Plus, Martins has pace and is an unknown quantity. Plus, Mo might be a little low on confidence after the Hayes game”

“Fair point. In that case, I’d bring in Rankin alongside Sears in the midfield, shore it up a little in the centre”

“Great minds Stan, great minds”

That next game, with Stalybridge the visitors, saw both changes implemented, and it made a massive difference, John Rankin putting in a man of the match display in the centre of midfield. The Scot pulled all the strings, offensively and defensively, and it was his pass that started the move for the opening goal, as he slid the ball in for Adolfo, who squared it across for the oncoming Paul Sears to smash past the ‘keeper, an unstoppable shot that left no chance. How it was only one was beyond me, but it was, and it wasn’t until fifteen minutes from time we doubled the lead, Martins showing his blistering pace to burst through and dink the ball niftily over the ‘keeper. It was a very experienced finish from a 16 year old, and sealed the points

“Jim, just a minute for the paper?”

The Conference newspaper had caught him in the tunnel, which left him no choice

“Sure thing”

“So you’ve picked up three points today. Happy with the early season form?”

“Reasonably happy yes. Things have come together well but there’s still work to do and a long way to go”

“A goal from young Martins today to cap off the win”

“Yeah delighted for the young man. He’s got a great work ethic and is a talented boy, and we have high hopes for him here”

“OK, So anymore transfer activity in the works?”

“Not at the moment no. We’ve done what business we felt was needed but we’re always looking at ways to improve the squad obviously”

--

He hated the newspaper and media side of the job, but recognised it was something he needed to do and wouldn’t be able to shirk away from. That said, it was always a chance to give his players credit where it was due

The final game of August was another Northern side, as a trip to the seaside and Morecambe beckoned. Dave Collins was still not match ready, although fit enough to take a place on the bench, and Mo Tako replaced Martins upfront, but other than that it was all the same as the previous game. The start was slow though and the home side took the lead after 20 minutes, a good move resulting in a deflected shot beating David Mogg. It took until injury time in the first half to find the equaliser, the loose ball finding its way to Paul Sears who smashed it low and hard into the bottom corner. A dull second half, where both sides showed nerves and a fear if losing followed, and it took a set piece to seal it, Williams powering home a header six minutes from time and sealing their first away win and a third win from the opening four games

August 2001 Results

(Conference unless stated)

Margate 2-0 Dagenham and Redbridge [Adolfo 58 ; Collins 82]

Hayes 2-1 Margate [Agustin 77]

Margate 2-0 Stalybridge [Sears 23 ; Martins 75]

Morecambe 1-2 Margate [Sears 45 ; Williams 84]

League Position ; 3rd