How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

Thanks, mate! icon_smile.gif The squad list I've just put up is only my European squad, so I do have other strikers available to me. Also, some of the attacking midfielders are capable of playing up front, but I prefer them in midfield. To answer your question, I haven't had anybody since Francisco come through the youth ranks just yet. I've mainly had to buy in youth and cultivate them! icon_biggrin.gif

10th of August 2005

Around 58,000 fanatical Argentine supporters go home disappointed this afternoon as the Netherlands wins the Confederations Cup, thereby gaining a measure of revenge for their defeat at the hands of Argentina in the World Cup of 2002. It was a high scoring affair with nine goals in total. Barcelona’s Kluivert put the Dutch on the board after just five minutes, but Fiorentina’s Cristian Bardaro pegged that back 13 minutes later. Kluivert eased the Netherlands into the lead on 30 minutes with a simple header, but straight from kick-off, Juan Román Riquelme’s excellent cross was brilliantly converted by Crespo and then Barcelona Juan Sebastián Verón sent the parochial home crowd into raptures with a thundering volley on 38 minutes. But deep into injury time at the end of the first half, the Dutch were able to tie it at 3-3 apiece when good lead-up play involving Kluivert, Seedorf and Stam carved out an opportunity for PSV’s Arnold Bruggink and he didn’t let the Dutch done, firing home from point-blank range. Six minutes into the second half, Dutch captain Edgar Davids again gave the Netherlands the lead when he capitalised on good work by de Windt and Seedorf. But the Dutch only held their lead for six minutes as Verón punished Davids’ inability to keep pace with the ‘Little Witch’ and he guided home another thunderbolt to tie the scores at 4-4 all. Yet the last word lay with Kluivert and he coolly completed his hat-trick with 13 minutes to play when he collected Seedorf’s fine pass, turned his defender and then curled a wonderful shot into the top corner.

European Champions’ League - Third Qualifying Phase, 1st leg: Anderlecht v Cartagonova

While the Dutch and Argentines go through the paces in a cracking match in Buenos Aires, my squad and I are in Brussels preparing to take on Anderlecht, the Belgian champion, for a spot in the group phase of the Champions’ League. I name what I consider close to my first eleven with only Gavião unavailable through suspension. Things start poorly for us when Redondo is forced from the field on 22 minutes with a thigh strain that will keep him out of action for at least two weeks. But that means I introduce Sabino to the field of play and he is quite a handy replacement, I think! icon_smile.gif Yet it is not a striker who opens our goals for account this season. Instead, it is David Livermore, who dances his way through the Anderlecht defence before letting fly with a crashing drive that ripples the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif Anderlecht are shattered by conceding a goal away from home and they immediately look for an equaliser. It does not take them long - only 8 minutes later, Livermore gives away a free kick within the range of Walter Baseggio and the Belgian international promptly sticks it in the back of the net. That doesn’t satisfy Anderlecht and they continue pressing hard for a second goal, although they do let slip Ãlvarez on 37 minutes but he heads Gustavsson’s corner over the bar. icon_eek.gif

I warn the players at the break that they should be wary of Anderlecht because they will be desperate to take a lead to Cartagena. If we could squeeze another goal out of them, then I would be particularly happy. Four minutes into the second half, I think we have it when Sabino’s low cross is converted by Kokmeijer. However, the linesman adjudicates that the Dutchman was offside when the pass was played. I find that difficult to comprehend, but a warning from the referee subdues my protests. Anderlecht then puts the pressure on Iván Vidal for an extended period of time, but the captain performs magnificently to deny Karaca and Youla on several occasions. But just when I was beginning to relax and think about the return leg, with 15 minutes to play Anderlecht finds the right combination to unhinge my defence and take the lead through Karaca. Yet, a perfectly executed sweeping counter-attack sees my side draw level just five minutes later thanks to a fine header from Jurica Vucko from Kokmeijer’s cross! icon_biggrin.gif I’ll take the draw, thank you very much!

Anderlecht (4-3-2-1): Mardulier; Nicolay, West, Nwankpa (Parker 59), Cooreman; Goor, Baseggio ©, Vergeylen (Traoré 59); Karaca, Ristic (Berrettoni 49); Youla.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Gustavsson; Michel, Vucko; Clegg; Redondo (Sabino 22), Kokmeijer.

Final score: Anderlecht 2:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Yasin Karaca

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

13th of August 2005

Back in Cartagena to prepare for the imminent visit of Rangers for a friendly match on the weekend, I’ve been contacted by the manager of Gillingham inquiring about the availability of Keith O’Neill. I respond by saying that £900,000 would be sufficient to persuade me to sell the Irish international. He immediately offers me that amount which I accept. Come this morning, Keith has agreed terms with Gillingham and is on his way to Madrid to catch a flight out to England to join his new club: Keith O’Neill (29 y/o, IRE 30 caps, 4 goals, AM/F LC): 4(8) apps, 1 goal, av. rating: 6.75

14th of August 2005

Friendly - Cartagonova v Glasgow Rangers

I again decide to put out an experimental first eleven with those I consider at the second tier of the club’s playing personnel all getting the opportunity to impress me. After a very boring half an hour of football when it seems like both sides are going through their training drills, a long kick-out by Moso lands at the feet of Morán and the stylish midfielder slams home a drive from 30 yards to open the scoring and wake up the crowd! In the second half, he almost does it again on 65 minutes, but rattles the post. But we take a 2-0 lead on 73 minutes when rising star Ramón Salas pounces on a spilt Gavião shot and pushes it into the net past the fallen Mike Brown. However, the lead is halved two minutes later when ex-Dutch Olympian Youssef Hersi crashes a drive home from 25 yards past the helpless Moso and in injury time, we concede the equaliser to Jonathon Woodgate who advances unhindered into shooting range and then lets one rip that ends in the top corner of our net. I’m not happy to see our lead evaporate but I am impressed with the work of Salas in particular, while Morán showed enough to remain in my thoughts for this season.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Moso; Lacruz, Filipescu © (Gershon 76), WingÃ¥rd, Sanz; Mendoza (Lua-Lua 70), Gavião, Salas; Morán; Sabino, Rivera.

Glasgow Rangers (4-4-2): Brown; Gray, Woodgate, Moore ©, Faber; Zenden (O’Connor 69), Paauwe, Ferguson (Griffin 76), Gavilan (Hersi 69); Løvenkrands (Schulp 69), Yorke (Lundén 76 (Cogger 79)).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Glasgow Rangers

MoM - Ramón Salas

17th of August 2005

Andrés Mendoza is on the end of a humiliation for Peru this evening as Argentina runs riot in Buenos Aires. Cristian Bardaro puts the Argentines in front after just two minutes, and then Hernan Crespo extends that to 2-0 on 12 minutes. Mendoza scores a goal to bring it back to 2-1, but Bardaro scores again to make it 3-1. Claudio Pizarro pulls it back to 3-2 on 33 minutes, which is how it stays at half-time. Pablo Zuniga equalises for Peru on 48 minutes and gives his country the shock lead on 54 minutes, but then Argentina pulls equal on 61 minutes, and as the Peruvian defence collapses, Méndez gives the lead back to Argentina on 65 minutes. Roy González extends it on 72 minutes, while Valencia’s Donnet finishes the scoring on 7-4 with a penalty on 79 minutes.

18th of August 2005

I have no qualms rejecting Elche’s ridiculous £3.1 million bid spread over 18 months for Ballesteros this morning. Do they take me for some type of fool? icon_mad.gif

Defenders

Juan Carlos Castro (18 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, SW/D C): 0 apps Needs to show that he is improving his skills at the club if we are to persist in investing time and money in him. There are some signs that this is occurring but if he isn’t comfortable playing the ball out of defence he is not likely to figure in my future plans. There is interest in him from other clubs, but I’m willing to give him some time, though the fate that befell Francisco Ãlvarez should serve as a warning to him that I will not hesitate to cut him from the roster if it suits my purposes. Unlikely to play at all this season, he should get his head down and concentrate on improving himself on the training pitch.

Iulian Filipescu (31 y/o, ROM 41 caps, 1 goal, SW/D/DM C): 58(12) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.76: He is skating the thin ice with me at the moment. Unwilling to sign a new contract for the club, despite his professed love for it, he is not the starting defender he once was for the club and as the summer purchases have already demonstrated, I’m prepared to look elsewhere for quality centre-halves. Still, he does have the chance to rectify the situation, but the ball is in his court. If there is no improvement soon, however, he will go on the list.

Shimon Gershon (27 y/o, ISR 28 caps, 4 goals, SW/D/S C): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00: A serviceable debut at the heart of our defence against Anderlecht last week but I hope a little more from the Israeli international for whom I’ve paid £2 million and given up Fernando Couto for. I’ve purchased him for his versatility but he is not the best defender in the league. Still he should help to tighten things up a bit at the back and at least he does not add a non-EU player to the roster, given his Spanish passport is clutched tightly in his right hand at the moment!

Alan Stubbs (33 y/o, ENG, SW/D C): 3(3) apps, av. rating: 7.33: He could still find himself pulling on the guernsey of Cartagonova in the near future. He is only 33 years old and is still capable of stopping the strikers on the training pitch. However, he should not be considered a certainty to make the bench, let alone the first eleven, but I feel that he is a good person to have around to assist the younger defenders hone their craft. He is beginning to slow down just a little, but hopefully his experience with Bolton, Celtic and Rangers should make up for that shortcoming.

Ballesteros (29 y/o, ESP, D/DM RC): 89(2) apps, 3 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 6.97: Considered by many outside observers and not a few club managers as the best defender at the club. He is certainly one of the higher paid defenders, raking in £11,250/week on a new contract he extorted out of us last season when Sevilla met his original min. release clause amount. But so long as he keeps up his good performances, including a special one in the Copa del Rey final last season against Real Betis, then I have no qualms handing over the dough every week. Further, I will keep knocking back the offers while he is producing the goods on the pitch. I’m not quite sure where to play him though - in the centre of defence where he was excellent, or on the right, where he was almost as good?

David Livermore (25 y/o, ENG, D/DM LC): 16(1) apps, 1 goal, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.06: I think he is currently the best left-sided defender at the club and he rewarded my faith with the first goal of the season in the Champions’ League encounter against Anderlecht the other day. To be sure, he is also an accomplished defender who takes no prisoners - obviously a legacy left by playing at the Den for so long with Millwall! icon_biggrin.gif A former Arsenal youth trainee, David has fit in very well at the club and is making excellent progress. He currently keeps José Lacruz out of the side, which is a big statement since the Basque player was often the first name on the sheet for the defence. I look forward to seeing his career blossom here at Cartagonova, but I don’t think he will ever make an appearance for the national squad. But all the pieces for being a good defender are in place, and he will only grow better for the experience of playing regularly with us.

Óscar Ãlvarez (28 y/o, ESP, D C): 84(3) apps, 2 goals, 2 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.98: Did not start the season with a great match, but I still think he is one of the better centre-halves at the club, although he will have to forge a new partnership with Shimon Gershon. I think we are safe from having to pay any money to his former club, Ourense, for playing ten internationals as Spain has plenty of better central defenders and things would have to be seriously crocked for Óscar to get the call-up! But I’m happy with him so far, and if he can avoid making me angry, then he will continue to play at Cartagonova! Now has a new contract with better terms, so he had better perform to that standard he has set himself.

Axel Wingård (24 y/o, SWE, D C): 14(1) apps, 1 goal, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.73: He needs to recover that belief in himself that made him a great defender when he first arrived at the club because something happened to turn him into an ordinary defender almost overnight. He is in great danger of being left behind as I turn to other options, which would be a pity because he has the talent to establish himself not only as a regular for the club but also as a regular for Sweden - he has already trained with the national squad in his short time with us, so he obviously can take the next step, if he wants to. A player who is comfortable on the ball when in possession, he can work to win it back when he doesn’t have it, and he likes to take on his fair share of the work, when he is on song. It’s up to him, with our assistance, to get back his confidence and I’m sure that when he does he will challenge the established centre-halves at the club. I think he is one to keep an eye on for the future, definitely.

Midfielders

Kenneth Gustavsson (22 y/o, SWE 10 caps, 1 goal, D/DM C): 1 app, av. rating: 7.00: Performed moderately well for us in the anchor role against Anderlecht, but nothing to show that our £4 million was well spent, but then again he hasn’t been with the club long enough to properly integrate into our type of playing. I guess he is rather expensive to be considered just cover for Gavião, but he needs to prove himself on the training track before I pick him over the Brazilian. Still, he has the added luxury of being capable of playing in the back-line, too, which offsets that dilemma slightly. Like many of the players at the club, he isn’t going to break any land speed records with his average pace, while his excellent heading ability is almost cancelled out by his complete lack of jumping prowess. I look forward to the time when he can speak Spanish fluently, though, because he demonstrated at Verona his ability to marshal the troops (ultimately for a losing cause because Verona was relegated anyway) and at 22, there is room and time for improvement in his game. Hopefully the investment will pay off.

Gavião (25 y/o, BRA, DM C): 22 apps, 6 goals, 3 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.23: I’m not sure why Grêmio thought it was a wise move to let Gavião go without any type of compensation in return, since he has been an excellent player for us since he came to us in the winter of 2004. As I mentioned previously, his lack of pace is more than compensated by his innate ability to read and anticipate the play and put himself into the right place at the right time. This has no better demonstration than at corners where he is often seen crashing the pack to head home goals, which is why has six already in his short career as a central midfielder. I hope that the Brazilian national selectors come to see him play on a regular basis because I genuinely believe that the 25 year old has a lot to offer to the national team. His only particular fault that I’ve found so far is that he is rather temperamental, having already seen red twice in his career with us. If he can curb that streak in his nature, there is no reason why he won’t become a particularly devastating midfielder, almost in the role that Roy Keane plays for Manchester United so effectively.

Kevin Gibbens (25 y/o, ENG, DM C): 5(4) apps, 1 assist, av. rating: 6.78: I’m bemused by this Englishman. He has all the hallmarks of being a quality midfielder and really providing some strong competition for Gavião and Gustavsson, but whenever I’ve played him recently, he has always failed to deliver the goods. His inability to land a tackle correctly has left us exposed at the back and often been the cause of us conceding a goal that should have been avoided. He is lucky not to be on the transfer list already, having seen how I’ve dealt ruthlessly with players who have not lived up to the standard I demand. But I’m willing to persist with him for just a little longer. Yet, if there is no indication that he will change his ways quick-smart, then he is out on his ear.

Pablo Box (26 y/o, ESP, M RC): 20(15) apps, 7 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 6.94: Now surplus to requirements to us here at Cartagonova, he is on the transfer list and has already attracted attention from such clubs as Linense, although at a price not calculated to improve my mood about this player. It is a shame really that he has not seized his chance to make himself a regular in the first eleven, because he does genuinely have some talent. However, his inconsistency has cost him dearly and I’m no longer willing to give him a second chance. If the right price is bid for him, he will leave the club as soon as possible.

George Clegg (24 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 24(5) apps, 7 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.97: It looks like George has won the race to be named the attacking midfielder behind the two strikers between himself, Fernando Morán and Alberto Rivera. George is a genuinely talented midfielder who has the ability to make it into the English side if the English selectors take a look outside their own borders to see who is playing. Obviously beginning his career with Manchester United helped shape the man to come, but I think realising that this is his first real chance at playing regularly helped the boy take the opportunity with both hands. His uncanny ability to play perfect passes at pace makes him an excellent choice to play in the demanding position that he holds down with little effort, while he does have an eye for goal that pleases me no end. Being just 24 years old, there is room for his talent to ripen and hopefully Cartagonova will be the club that benefits from that.

Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua (24 y/o, DCO 6 caps, 2 goals, AM/F RLC): Yet to make an appearance for the club, when he does I think he will make a big impact. I think Newcastle will regret letting this talented young midfielder leave. He has pace to burn and also knows how to hit a fine pass to his teammates. Perhaps his work-rate leaves a little something to be desired, but with the right type of coaching I’m sure that we can turn Lomano-Tresor into a player to be feared in La Liga and across Europe. I think it is a real coup that we have him at the club and I’m sure that will be a solid contributor over the next few seasons for us.

Paulo Miranda (26 y/o, ARG, AM RLC): 25(18) apps, 6 goals, 6 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.14: Now into the last year of his original three year deal, Paulo has not indicated to me yet that he wants to sign a new contract with Cartagonova. It would be a shame to lose the 26 year old midfielder just when he is running into possibly the best form of his career. Perhaps starting so many games from the bench last season has probably discouraged him about his future with us, which may be the reason why he is holding off signing a new contract, but I definitely would rather have him in the squad than not with us. A versatile midfielder, he has certainly provided us with plenty of reasons to keep him at the club, and I hope that he changes his mind shortly and resigns with us.

Fernando Morán (29 y/o, ESP, AM RLC): 134(8) apps, 42 goals, 31 assists, 8 MoMs, av. rating: 7.29: Now one of the most experienced players at the club, nearing 150 appearances in all competitions in the Cartagonova stripes, he is beginning to drop back into the pack of hungry midfielders who want the plum job of sitting behind the two strikers and pouncing on whatever opportunities falls by them. George Clegg especially made this position, formerly owned lock, stock and barrel by Fernando, his own in the second half of last season and frankly, I don’t think that Fernando will take it back. He seems to be going backwards as the years go past a little too quickly for my liking and while experience will to some extent counteract that effect, I don’t know whether it is enough. Still, he has enough left in the tank to break the 150 game barrier and be the first player at Cartagonova to do it, but I’m not sure how much more he has left to give for us. He may end up at a lower division club in the next few seasons.

Rufete (28 y/o, ESP, AM R): 55(2) apps, 13 goals, 12 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.10: If anybody could explain to me why Rufete went from being one of the most accomplished wingers not only at Cartagonova but in the Primera Liga to being a below-par plodder, please write your suggestions to me? I’d really love to know. Luis Sosa is still a big fan of the former Málaga winger, but I’m rapidly losing patience with him. I’ve given him two starts in pre-season friendlies so far, and he hasn’t looked like turning it on then, so I think he has fluffed his auditions for this season already. If the right offer comes along, I might just offload him. It’s disappointing, but he isn’t up to the task any more.

Ramón Salas (20 y/o, ESP 1 Olympic cap, AM RL): 0 apps: This looks like the future for Cartagonova in this one person. I’ve tracked him through various clubs ever since he began his professional career with Pvo. Almería back in 2001/02. He never cut the mustard with Córdoba, but already he has impressed me with a man of the match winning performance against Rangers last weekend. I think we’ve struck gold with this kid and I hope to nurture his development into a fine winger. Perhaps the one thing that holds him back from becoming a premier winger is the fact that he is a little slow, but he can burn past most defenders and send over a wicked cross which will bamboozle most defences more often than not. We’re all excited about this prospect for the club and I can’t wait for him to mature both mentally and physically because I’m sure you will hear a lot more about this kid in the near-future.

Jurica Vucko (28 y/o, HRV 15 caps, AM/F RC): 45(7) apps, 5 goals, 11 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.96: But first, Ramón Salas must dislodge Jurica Vucko from his spot in the first eleven. I remember mentioning that I did not think the Croatian international would be a good choice as a right winger but last season he proved me wrong and he has continued that vein into the new campaign, scoring the late equaliser against Anderlecht. For some reason, his country still persists in playing him up forward, but I think I’ve found the right place for him and I hope that he continues to play in the scintillating fashion that so caught the eye last season. At 28 years old, he is at the peak of his abilities and playing fitness, so he should be one of our better players again this season. Definitely indispensable to the club and he earns every penny of his £13,000/week wage package.

Jofre (25 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): 38(3) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.03: What? He’s still here! But I transfer-listed him in June! His agent needs to get a move on, because I’m not going to play him again. He’s no use to me.

Andrés Mendoza (27 y/o, PER 48 caps, 8 goals, AM/F LC): 0 apps: Already this season he has been on plenty of aeroplanes journeying between Latin America and Spain as he has already represented Peru six times this season, always with distinction in a side not known for its pedigree. Thankfully for us, he managed to pick up Belgian citizenship in his last few months at Club Brugge, which is a bonus. I’m going to struggle to fit him into the side on a regular basis, but he has enough quality about him to suggest that he will make more than the token appearance for us. I just hope that he won’t turn out to be the new Keith O’Neill, because that would be a shame.

Michel (29 y/o, ESP, AM L): 132(7) apps, 20 goals, 32 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.20: Now a senior player at the club and I expect him to play like it. He has begun the season quite serviceably but if he plays this season like he did last season, then I’ll be quite happy. I still marvel at the stupidity of the Rayo Vallecano manager who thought he could do without the services of Michel - let’s check the leagues! Um, Cartagonova has finished fourth and third in the Primera Liga the last two seasons and, well, Rayo been mid-table Segunda Liga. Go figure (well, I don’t exactly attribute both results merely to where Michel plays, but it does help I have him on my side and they don’t! icon_biggrin.gif ). Can’t wait to see the winger sling over those crosses into the box upon which Redondo, Kokmeijer and Sabino will thrive upon, not to mention seeing him cut inside his full-back and thunder home a few goals!

Juan Eduardo Esnáider (32 y/o, ARG 2 caps, 1 goal, AM/F C): 19(8) apps, 8 goals, 7 assists, 4 MoMs, av. rating: 7.51: Not likely to feature much this season, I still think he can contribute when called upon. The wily Argentine knows exactly where the goals are and he does like to score them! icon_smile.gif Will hopefully pass on his experience to the other, younger players that he will train with, week in and week out… icon_wink.gif

Albert Rivera (27 y/o, ESP, AM/F C): 40 apps, 10 goals, 8 assists, 1 MoM, av. rating: 7.33: When he was at the club on loan from Real Madrid in 2001/02, he was comfortably one of our better players, but now he is just a face in the crowd on the pitch at training! What I’m trying to say is that he is no longer guaranteed of first team football, but after years of struggling and getting nowhere at Real Madrid, I’m sure he is hungry to prove himself and I hope to harness that hunger for our own ends. Saying that, he did alright in the friendlies we played, but didn’t sparkle like I thought he might, so he may struggle to find his name on the teamsheet early in the season.

Strikers

Mauro Esposito (26 y/o, ITA 1 cap, AM/F LC): 18(11) apps, 9 goals, 5 assists, 2 MoMs, av. rating: 6.97: He will need to pull his socks up to trouble the first team strikers that I already have set in my mind. He needs to demonstrate to me that he is capable of performing well on a consistent basis, rather than being great in one game and then totally anonymous the next game, like he tended to be last season. He is mature enough to be able to do that, and if he cannot, then he will no longer be part of the club. He knows what it takes, so it is up to him to deliver.

Dennis Bergkamp (36 y/o, NED 79 caps, 38 goals, AM/F C): 0(2) apps, 2 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rating: 8.00: Short time on the pitch for big impact from the veteran Dutchman! With the retirement of Romário from playing, he assumes the honourable title of being the oldest player on the roster and as such, he will be given the according respect and not played very often! icon_biggrin.gif But I’m sure that he is still capable of doing the business when we need him to, so he is worth having in the squad for that alone.

Niels Kokmeijer (25 y/o, NED, S C): 53(1) apps, 16 goals, 13 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.42: Likely to accompany José Manuel Redondo again this season, he will have to beware the new challenge of Sabino, the latest striker to walk through the doors of Cartagonova. I don’t question his work-rate, but I believe that he needs to produce more goals to fully justify his position in the first eleven. He began with a rush last season, but found them more difficult to come by. He produced the goods at Volendam, but lets face it, the Dutch second division does not compare to the Primera Liga, and he never made it at Feyenoord. But I might be overplaying his situation just a little - I’m still likely to name Niels over Sabino, although the injury José suffered against Anderlecht does open the field slightly as I get to judge the relative performances of Niels and Sabino side by side.

José Manuel Redondo (29 y/o, ESP, S C): 134(2) apps, 78 goals, 37 assists, 23 MoMs, av. rating: 7.85: Clearly the best player at the club and has been recognised as such for the last three consecutive seasons by the club’s supporters. Who is to say that the 29 year old striker won’t do it again this year? I, for one, won’t bet against him. But he will start the season on the sidelines thanks to another injury he picked up against Anderlecht. Fortunately it is not too serious and he should be back in time for the start of the new league campaign. Last season, his output was not quite so productive, and he batted below his average, although plenty of goals came in Europe. Now with a season of working with Niels behind him, I think those two can forge a partnership like he did with Stan Collymore. Quite frankly, everybody at the club owes much of the success we have enjoyed in the last few years to this player and when you consider that he came on a Bosman from Real Zaragoza, he is surely worth everything that we pay him! icon_biggrin.gif

Sabino (27 y/o, ESP, S C): 0(1) app, av. rating: 8.00: Impressed me when he came off the bench to replace the injured Redondo in the European Champions’ League match against Anderlecht we played last week and I look forward to a lot more from the former Coventry and Osasuna striker. He was easily Coventry’s best player last season despite not getting along with Gordon Strachan (and, frankly, who doesn’t these days?), but he is relatively unproven in the Primera Liga, as he was not given the chance to shine at Osasuna. Having paid £2.7 million for him to bring him back to Spain, I earnestly hope that he will not be a dud and to make matters more interesting, he will have to fight his way past the two incumbents, José Redondo and Niels Kokmeijer, to start regularly for the club, but he does have the opportunity to impress with Redondo’s current injury keeping him out for a while.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

Oops, left out the keepers!

Goalkeepers

Iván Vidal (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 121(1) apps, 147 conceded, 11 MoMs, av. rating: 7.24: He has stuck through thick and thin with the club and as a reward is definitely the club’s starting keeper and also wears the captain’s arm-band. Likely to break the 150 appearance mark for the club even at the relatively young age of 26 years old and should go on to a big, beautiful career with us. He is slowly and gradually sharpening his skills and playing at the highest club level last season will have taught him a thing or two about facing off against predatory strikers. Hopefully he will continue his growing process and the resulting benefits should help the club prosper in the future.

Joaquín Moso (26 y/o, ESP, GK): 1(3) apps, 1 conceded, av. rating: 7.50: Now that Francesc Arnau has left the club, he has made the jump up to the reserve keeper, but he is still unlikely to dislodge Vidal while the club captain remains here. Nevertheless, he is still a useful member of the squad and I’m glad that he is not grumbling yet over the fact he hardly plays a game for us. Still, somebody has to warm that spot on the bench and for this season he is the man. He should consider it a promotion! icon_biggrin.gif

José Francisco Belman (34 y/o, ESP, GK): 0 apps: Unlikely to figure for us this season unless something goes terribly wrong. Brought in to support the two other keepers and to ensure that we’re never short of a player capable of pulling on the gloves and standing between the sticks. He has a fair degree of experience at Real Zaragoza and Hércules, but he will not displace the two incumbent keepers at the club.

Thanks, mate! Glad you enjoy the story! icon_smile.gif Unlike some others on the boards, I don't have a lot of time to play CM, so I can really only keep one story going at a time, and I still enjoy being the manager of Cartagonova! icon_biggrin.gif It's even managed to endure me not having my computer as I, um, 'borrowed' a computer to play it for a while! icon_eek.gif

The pre-season continues in the pre-World Cup season!

Okay, now that we’ve looked at the squad I’ve assembled for the 2005/06 season (barring any additional sales or purchases in the winter transfer period), let’s run the ruler over my competitors for this season’s honours. We’ll start with Athletic Bilbao, who have been relatively quiet on the transfer front, bringing in only one new player, Ion, a striker purchased from Racing Santander for £1 million. Several veterans have been released by the staff of Athletic Bilbao, with Jorge Barbarin moving to Osasuna on a free transfer, Bittor Alkiza leaving the club and still to find a new club at which to ply his trade, while veteran keeper Juan José Valencia moves to newly promoted Getafe for £1 million. This means that the bulk of the work will have to be performed by one of Spain’s best players, Joseba Etxeberría, with support from former international Jorge Pérez. At the back, veteran defenders Roberto Ríos and Aitor Karanka should keep things tight but French manager Luis Fernandez should not hope for too much this season and a repeat of 2002/03, when they captured the Primera Liga crown, is surely beyond them. The fans will be unhappy if they don’t crack the top six, but given the sparseness of quality through the squad, somewhere inside the top ten will be good reward.

Señor Lorenzo Serra Ferrer has spent money rather frugally at Barcelona compared to some of his rivals, particularly Real Madrid. Two new players were paraded to the fans at the Nou Camp over summer, with Brazilian international winger Zé Roberto joining from Ajax for £14 million and Javier Zanetti also joining from the Dutch club for £9.5 million at the start of July. In contrast, the manager has pruned the ranks of his squad with Luis Enrique and Abelardo two of the high profile casualties of the thinning of the ranks. Both have found new clubs. It is a star-studded squad, none better than the multiple award-winning Dutch striker Patrick Kluivert who has now scored 61 times in 69 international appearances for the Netherlands and looks set to continue his rich scoring vein this season. Ably supported by Alfonso, Dani and the evergreen Rivaldo, there is nary a defence in Spain or Europe who can stop Barcelona when it is in the mood. And with French veteran Lilian Thuram marshalling the back four, Barcelona looks odds-on favourite to retain its league crown and add further glories to the already overloaded trophy cabinet. With a midfield boasting the calibre and experience of Edgar Davids, Ariel Ortega, Juan Verón, Pavel Nedved and Gerard, amongst others, there will be few who will bet against Barcelona this season.

After yo-yoing between divisions in the last five seasons, the fans of Real Betis hope that their Seville-based club can find some stability. Finishing fourteenth last campaign and losing in the Copa del Rey final to Cartagonova provides some hope that the glory days of the mid-90s when Denílson, Alfonso and Antonio Prats ruled the Manuel Ruiz de Lopera stadium will return. But Real Betis has been quiet on the transfer front with only Bosnian international Elvir Bolic joining the club on a free transfer from Deportivo La Coruña. Real Betis has been more active selling players with ex-Cartagonova defender Leo the big transfer, netting £3 million in a sale to Getafe while defensive midfielder Artur moved to Villarreal for £1.6 million. Again, Real Betis must aim to avoid relegation but with the exciting Olympian Jaime Garrido now part of the main squad at Real Betis, their chances have improved slightly. Still, anything higher than 14th should be considered a bonus.

Once again, Señor Flatline has been highly active on the transfer market over the summer as he prepares for his sixth season in charge of Cartagonova, the holder of the Copa del Rey. Finishing third last season has many other clubs looking enviously at the new ‘golden boy’ of Spanish football management and there is some rumours that he is considering throwing his hat in the ring if Señor Javier Clemente is unable to guide Spain to the World Cup finals next year. But to more prosaic matters, and Señor Flatline has spent the money generated by the victory in the Copa del Rey and a high finish in the league to expand his squad. Gone are former captain Fernando Couto, Mariano Fernández, Oliver, Francisco Ãlvarez, Francesc Arnau and Keith O’Neill, while almost an entire team walks through the doors at Cartagonova C.F. Israeli and Swedish internationals Shimon Gershon and Kenneth Gustavsson have been brought to the club for a combined total of £6 million to strengthen the defence, with rumours around the club that Romanian international Iulian Filipescu is on his way out. Andrés Mendoza from Club Brugges, Alberto Rivera from Real Madrid and Lomano-Trasor Lua-Lua from Newcastle United improve an already impressive midfield while Sabino has come from Coventry to challenge Redondo and Kokmeijer for the strikers’ roles. Battling in Europe and in the domestic league was something that Cartagonova faced successfully last season and there are already a few pundits who whisper the southern club could be an outside chance at the title. But the focus of the club is purely upon emulating last season’s impressive results and if they could do that, it would be an impressive season indeed. Most are tipping a top six finish for Cartagonova and that should not be beyond their ability to reach.

Never finishing lower than sixth in the league but never reaching the top three has proved frustrating for the legions of Celta Vigo fans who have come to expect more from their expensively assembled squad of under-achievers. This time last season, the club was reeling from the acrimonious departure of Brazilian international Edú, but no such concerns this season and the signs emanating from Vigo are more reassuring. After spending a lot of money last season for little return on the pitch, manager Señor Víctor Fernández’s hands have been tied somewhat, with only £3 million being spent to date this season on experienced campaigners - two from San Lorenzo in Argentina and former Newcastle and Sunderland midfielder, Lee Clark, who arrives on a Bosman from Rayo Vallecano. There is certainly quality in almost every position for Celta Vigo and surely this season should be the season when they crack the top three and push the eventual champions all the way.

In La Coruña, the money squeeze has put the brakes on the squad rebuilding being carried out by manager Señor Eusébio. Only £1.4 million has been spent by the new manager this season, and most of that has gone to relegated Alavés for Polish international defender Tomasz Wisio. Third in 2003/04 was followed by a disappointing twelfth place last season, but there is sufficient quality in the squad, particularly in Mista, Diego Tristán, Juan Carlos Valerón and Iván Amaya to suggest that this season should be an improvement. A top eight finish beckons for Deportivo La Coruña.

Winning one more game than they lost and scoring one more goal than they conceded meant that Elche finished last season comfortably mid-table. But for a club boasting the talent of Argentine midfielder, Roy González, and strikers Pedro Guede and Nano, this isn’t good enough and an improvement is expected from the club this season. The manager, Señor Asier De la Cruz, has spent money frugally over the summer, preferring to blend in experience and youth rather than splashing the cash on another high-profile signature. Perhaps the biggest name to join is former Barcelona and Real Madrid forward, Luis Enrique, who at 35 is nearing the twilight of his career but still offers plenty to the club. Elche also tempted former Cartagonova youth trainee Francisco Ãlvarez to join the club, parting with £1 million to obtain him. But perhaps the secret weapon at Elche’s disposal is Mexican international defender, Oscar Mascarro, who should strengthen the defence and when possible score goals if he is thrown forward into his secondary role. But there is a queue at the top of the ladder to reach the lucrative European finishes and it might be another season before Elche reaches there, at least.

Espanyol flew very high last season, only in the last couple of weeks to fall back to finish a still very creditable sixth on a shoe-string budget. But despite operating in the shadow of the more illustrious Barcelona, Señor Ramón Díaz has assembled a midfield the envy of many clubs in the country, with Antonio Soldevilla, Martín Posse, Jaime, Carlos Quiñónez and Spanish Olympian, Francisco Javier Zubizarreta. An uncompromising defence backs up the solid midfield but up until last season, scoring goals has been Espanyol’s downfall. Back in 2000/01, only 21 goals were scored for the entire season, but the club finished 14th in the league. In 2003/04, they managed to scrape together 31 goals, but last season, they banged in 63 goals. Therefore, the burning question around Espanyol’s squad is whether they can score sufficient goals to trouble the high-flying regions of the ladder, or whether another lower to mid-table finish beckons.

Extremadura has bounced between the divisions recently and it will be the task of Señor Andoni Goikoetxea to preserve the club’s status as a top flight club. But he has precious little money to maintain that status as the club is bankrupt and in major need of an injection of funds in order to prevent the club sliding into liquidation. It’s little wonder, then, that the manager has spent no money since 2003/04 - a full two seasons ago! Instead, a mixture of Bosman and ordinary free transfers has strengthened the squad, with veterans like Gert Claessens, Abelardo and Nacho Sierra joining the club over the off-season. A dearth of truly talented star players at the club should see Extremadura favourites for instant relegation, with a lot resting upon the shoulders of Luis López and Ariel Ibagaza to pull the club through the difficult season.

Getafe’s rise through the divisions almost mirrors Cartagonova’s. In 2000/01, the club was relegated to the Segunda Liga B and despite having easily the best squad in the division, could not win the promotion lottery at the end of the season. Finally, in 2003/04, they won their way back into the Segunda Liga and set about winning its way into the Primera Liga. They eventually finished second in the league, but have a squad with sufficient quality to maintain their newfound status. Leading the way is Argentine defender Marcelo Moya anchoring the defence. He is not the only former Cartagonova player now plying their trade at the club, with Leo and Ismael also playing at Getafe. Up forward, most clubs will have to be wary of the punch provided by Swedish duo, Alexander Alm and Ola Otfors-Palmqvist, who together cost Getafe £14,000 back in 2000/01, but are now worth a combined £6.8 million!

The island resort based Mallorca is another club in the Primera Liga who has held a tight rein on the purse strings in pursuit of success in the league. But the club has still played the Bosman free transfer ruling cannily, bringing in experienced campaigners like Misrad Hibic, Lauren, Ander Garitano, Patricio Camps and Ivan Hurtado. Everything points to another settled campaign from Mallorca - nothing brilliant, but everything on course to a comfortable mid-table finish. But the wildcard in the deck is the cloudy future of Alberto Luque. The striker has requested a transfer, officially citing the reason that he needs a new challenge in his career, while fellow striker Michel wants to negotiate a new contract. None of Mallorca’s strikers have been particularly prolific in the past few seasons, and it appears that if Mallorca’s fortunes are to improve this season, they need to bring in a few sharpshooters capable of hitting the back of the net on a regular basis.

Numancia supporters will breathe a sigh of relief this season. Only a few seasons ago, they plumbed the depths of the Segunda Liga ladder and only barely avoided relegation from that league two seasons ago. But they were comfortably ninth last season and adept management from Señor Antonio Gómez should see Numancia finish in a similar position this season. Once again, money has been shrewdly spent by the staff of Numancia in the pursuit of stability in the top flight with a small stadium limiting the spending power of the club. Only the goalkeeper Ãlvaro Núñez is a real standout star in the Numancia squad, but a posse of competent, hardworking midfielders and defenders should see Numancia through this season.

After finishing eleventh the season before, it was business as usual for supporters of Osasuna as once again the club avoided relegation by the skin of its teeth on the last day of the season. But hopefully for the long-suffering supporters, things should be a little different this season as the club’s management has consciously recruited some respected players to assist the cause. Strikers Luis Gil from Mallorca and Jorge Barbarin from Athletic Bilbao should help solve the goalscoring problems that Osasuna has experienced in the recent times as the club barely averages 40 goals in the season. Former Real Betis and Espanyol midfielder Benjamín should help create the ammunition for the club’s strikers to hit home, while Fernando Couto from Cartagonova in part-exchange for Shimon Gershon and ex-Valencia keeper Andrés Palop should stabilise the defence.

The champion of the Segunda Liga Racing Santander has a lot of work to do in order to avoid relegation this season, and the monetary situation of the club does not bode well for manager, Señor Rafael Benítez. But the club is well-stacked with talented players, like Colombian international striker, Leyder Preciado, ex-Argentine international Claudio Husaín, Croatian international midfielder Ivan Leko, and Spaniard Diego, who is tipped by many knowledgeable experts as a possible player for the national side this season. It is possible for the club to lose its grip on Primera Liga football, but the odds are they should be there next season.

Real Madrid have been by far the biggest spender, not only in Spain, but around Europe, in the pursuit of glory. Finishing fifth last season means only the UEFA Cup for Real Madrid, while Señor Vicente del Bosque’s position is still under some threat from those influential figures of the Real Madrid board who believe the club deserves better. That has not prevented the manager from adding two big names to the squad - £32.5 million was spent on purchasing Francesco Totti from Roma and another £32.5 million was expended on bringing Brazilian wizard Alex from Parma. Adding Horacio Carbonari from Real Vallodolid and Santiago Cañizares strengthens the defensive nature of the squad. But the task as always for the manager is to somehow interweave the team chock full of champions into a champion team and that may be more difficult than it appears on the surface.

Real Sociedad was another club who barely survived last season, escaping on the last day in that amazing final round when it defeated relegated Málaga by a solitary goal, thus pushing it out of the danger zone. But unfortunately for supporters of the Basque region club, there is little that can assure them that another season of grinding out results in an effort to avoid the gaping trapdoor is not ahead of them. Veteran midfielder Håkan Mild joins from Extremadura for £150,000 while former Elche goalkeeper César Gálvez signs on for £800,000. But once again, Real Sociedad’s problems lie in front of goal with a lot of the work to be shouldered by Basque striker Joseba Llorente with some support from former Brazilian international Rodrigo. Unless these problems can be solved early in the season, there is nothing to indicate that Real Sociedad will not struggle again this season.

Sporting Gijón finished seventh last season - the lowest finishing position since they rejoined the Primera Liga - and it will be an immediate priority for all those involved at the club that they return straightaway to the top four in the league. But the manager, Señor Vicente Cantatore, has spent cautiously unlike some of his rivals for those places in the league with only £3.2 million spent on Israeli international Idan Tal from Valencia and goalkeeper Edward Gustafsson from Real Sociedad. Out of the club goes former Cartagonova and Liverpool hit-man, Stan Collymore, who returns to England with first division Barnsley. But Sporting Gijón certainly has plenty of talent in depth with Danish international striker Peter Madsen and Brazilian international striker Da Silva scoring plenty of goals while Barselleta and Sergio, both Spanish internationals, will anchor the midfield and defence respectively. A top four finish is well within the grasp of Sporting Gijón this season.

Valencia has spent money this season looking to take that final step and dislodge Barcelona as the premier club in Spain. Over the summer, manager Señor Guus Hiddiink has purchased Argentine international midfielder Ricardo Verón, Dutch international midfielder Gregor van Dijk, and has brought back Massimo Donati from Lazio to Spain. Several long-time servants, such as Santiago Cañizares and Joachim Björklund, have left the club for pastures new. Valencia certainly have a powerful midfield, with Vicente, Hugo Leal, Donati, Verón and Gallardo all providing plenty of impact for the forwards to feed off. In the meantime, van Dijk, Harold Lozano and Ivan Juric will anchor the midfield to protect the back four and goalkeeper. Certainly a team boasting Argentine international strikers Javier Saviola and Martín Palermo will trouble any club in the world and improving upon last season’s runners-up spot is within the grasp of the club.

Recognising that his squad needs improvement if Villarreal are to climb the ladder this season, Señor Víctor Muñoz has spent money to bring in a host of players to the club, ranging in experience from the veteran class to promising youngsters. But they do not seem to possess that unique quality that sets apart the excellent players from the merely competent players that Villarreal seems to have in spades. Only Walter Gaitán, the long-time servant of the club, could seriously be considered as Villarreal’s class outfield player, although Spanish manager Javier Clemente picks Javier López Vallejo to stand between the posts for the country. Norwegian midfielder Kristian Tanem should be expected to deliver on what he has consistently promised over the past few seasons, with Villarreal needing somebody to support Gaitán.

Finally, to Real Zaragoza and the fans hope that a new manager, Señor Fernando Vázquez, who has previously managed Real Betis, Sevilla and Real Vallodolid, will bring in new ideas that will stop Real Zaragoza being drawn into yet another relegation dog-fight this season. But like so many other clubs in the top flight, the purse strings have been hard to loosen for the manager, and he has needed to look at those players already at his disposal for some signs of improvement. Adding Washington Tais from Deportivo La Coruña adds some much-needed solidity and experience to the defence while former Cartagonova defender Francisco Javier Jusué is expected to shoulder a lot of the burden of keeping Real Zaragoza’s head above water. Iván Kaviedes needs to translate his impressive international scoring prowess into club form as the striker is yet to reach double figures in the league in his time at Zaragoza. Like many of the clubs in the same predicament, the problems with the club’s possible survival lie in the goalscoring department. Fix that, and Real Zaragoza should be safe.

The biggest transfers in the summer:

Alex (27 y/o, BRA 51 caps, 6 goals, AM LC): from Parma to Real Madrid for £32.5 million.

Francesco Totti (28 y/o, ITA 68 caps, 15 goals, AM/F RLC): from Roma to Real Madrid for £32.5 million.

Zé Roberto (31 y/o, BRA 60 caps, 8 goals, AM L): from Ajax Amsterdam to Barcelona for £14 million.

Javier Zanetti (32 y/o, ARG 92 caps, 9 goals, DM R): from Ajax Amsterdam to Barcelona for £9.5 million.

Exciting news for Ballesteros this evening as Señor Javier Clemente calls up the defender to the Spanish squad for their matches against Malta and Azerbaijan - both are crucial World Cup qualifiers for Spain as they are in third place, a point behind Austria and seven behind runaway leader Poland. I might need to start authorising the £1 million payment to Osasuna as Shimon Gershon is selected in Israel’s squad for two World Cup qualifiers. Sweden calls up Kenneth Gustavsson to its squad.

21st of August 2005

I and my squad are in Barcelona preparing for this afternoon’s Super Cup match against the Primera Liga champion when my mobile dog and bone rings. It’s the manager of Villarreal, who wants to offer me £3.1 million spread over 18 months for Ballesteros. I bark down the phone, “Don’t be ridiculous†and hang up before he has a chance to put his case. I move back to the breakfast table and begin loading up on the carbohydrates for this afternoon’s big match.

Spanish Super Cup - 1st leg: Barcelona v Cartagonova

Played over two legs, home and away, this is the Spanish equivalent of the Charity Shield and we are involved thanks to our victory in the Copa del Rey last season. The Nou Camp is not quite packed to the rafters - only 95,000 show up for this affair! icon_biggrin.gif We’ve had some tumultuous encounters with Barcelona since we made it to the Primera Liga - who could forget the Copa del Rey tie last season when Dennis Bergkamp’s first kick of the ball in a Cartagonova shirt resulted in a 3-2 victory at home, and then Vidal’s heroics to deny Barcelona the opportunity to move into the next stage - including the save from Nedved’s penalty? None of the supporters in the Nou Camp now, and they want to punish us for denying them the chance at a league/cup double.

It’s Barcelona from the kick-off with Davids and Alfonso missing early opportunities but a brilliantly executed move involving Michel, Kokmeijer and debutant Lua-Lua sets up Sabino and he taps in on 18 minutes for his first ever Cartagonova goal! icon_biggrin.gif Then it’s all hands to the pump as Barcelona’s awesome midfield, prompted by the ‘Little Witch’ himself, Juan Verón try to feed Kluivert and Alfonso to get that valuable equaliser before the break. But Gershon and Vidal are in awesome form themselves and between them, they hold out against the evil maroon and blue hordes. But then disaster strikes. Edgar Davids finds Kluivert with a 30 yard pass and with excellent close control, Kluivert jinks inside Ballesteros (which won’t do Ballesteros’ chances of picking up his first cap much good) before curling a shot delicately inside the top corner. Bang on half-time, it’s the fillip that Barcelona needs while I’m left to curse our bad luck as it came three minutes into injury time! icon_mad.gif I’m desperately like Sir Alex Ferguson, tapping my watch to the linesman as the Dutchman advanced, but the referee only had eyes for the play and not his watch on his wrist.

After the break, it’s more of the same as Barcelona look to grab the winner and pile on the pressure. Alfonso, Kluivert, and Rivaldo all go agonisingly close. In an attempt to break up their momentum, I waste a few moments substituting the anonymous Michel for Ramón Salas, giving him a taste of the massive atmosphere. On 59 minutes, a rare attack from my boys gives Sabino the chance to score his second, but his volley from Kokmeijer’s pass goes over the bar, not troubling Laínez. Ten minutes later, Salas’ first meaningful contribution is to force a corner with a fine save from the Barcelona keeper, but after that it’s back to normal as Barcelona press desperately for a winner. But Gershon is a giant in defence, winning everything in the air and tackling solidly to dispossess the Barcelona forwards. A mistake by Ballesteros, who seems overawed to be in the presence of Barcelona, gifts Kluivert an opportunity late in the match, but the Dutchman squanders it, while Gerard ghosts past Gavião before forcing a great save out of Vidal. Verón pounces on the rebound but pressure from the defence forces him to look for an option rather than shoot and the danger passes.

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez; Cannavaro; Pablo Paz, Thuram; Zé Roberto (Gerard 65), Davids (De la Peña 58), Rivaldo, Verón ©, Zanetti; Alfonso, Kluivert.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Filipescu, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel (Salas 54); Lua-Lua; Clegg; Sabino, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Barcelona 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Shimon Gershon

22nd of August 2005

Defender Iulian Filipescu signs a new contract with us that expires in 2008. In the meantime, the physios allow Redondo to rejoin training, albeit he is only doing laps and light skills work.

24th of August 2005

European Champions’ League - Third Qualifying Phase, 2nd leg: Cartagonova v Anderlecht

Games come thick and fast early in the season and I debate whether to leave Kokmeijer, who is not quite fully fit, out of the starting eleven in preference of Rivera. But I decide to leave the Dutchman in from the start and he rewards me with a goal after just seven minutes. Sabino picks up Livermore’s clearance near the half-way line and advances unmolested by the Belgians until he finds the space to slide a low pass through the defence and into Kokmeijer’s path. Kokmeijer makes no mistake and we take the lead on the night and on aggregate, remembering we drew 2-2 apiece back in Brussels. Two minutes later, Mardulier pulls off a spectacular double save to deny Kokmeijer and Clegg when he is left exposed by his defence. As Filipescu trots across to take the corner, he verbals his defence loudly but it doesn’t stop Lua-Lua from slipping his marker and heading Filipescu’s corner towards goal. Unfortunately, it is off target. Clegg almost scores our second goal just before the break, but we enter half-time still ahead by Kokmeijer’s solitary goal. I warn the players about Anderlecht finding holes in our defence on the counter-attack and send them out to finish the job they began.

Michel drifts down the left before floating over an inviting cross for Clegg to rise but head wide with Anderlecht’s defence closing in on the Englishman after 54 minutes. Baseggio then finally tests Vidal with a long-range drive that our keeper needs to push aside but Filipescu easily clears Goor’s corner. Karaca and Youla go close in the space of a few minutes, but we seem to be handling things quite easily and as the match wears on I decide to bring on Morán and Rivera to freshen up the leg speed at the front. Gavião also joins the attack on 83 minutes and almost scores our second goal but his great header is again well-saved by Mardulier. At the death, Ristic has the opportunity to tie things up for Anderlecht but Vidal has his concentration under control and deals with the drive.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Filipescu, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua; Clegg (Morán 82)); Sabino (Rivera 82), Kokmeijer.

Anderlecht (4-3-2-1): Mardulier; West, Nicolay, Nwankpa, Cooreman; Goor, Baseggio ©, Vergeylen; Berrettoni (Ristic 48), Karaca; Youla.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:0 Anderlecht

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 3:2 Anderlecht

MoM - Cliff Mardulier

For our troubles, we earn £1.8 million which is gleefully deposited in our account by the financial controller and I am informed by UEFA that we have been drawn in Group E along with Ajax, Liteks and Newcastle United. Interestingly, Liteks knocked out Manchester United in the qualifying phase, so they shouldn’t be considered the easy-beats of the group. In the meantime, I can foresee that we will have some severe fixture congestion when it comes towards the end of the season as we don’t get our league campaign underway until September! icon_biggrin.gif

Filipescu is informed by the Romanian federation that he is required for Romania’s match against Estonia, while three Cartagonova players - Castro, Salas and Sanz - are called up to Spain’s U-21 side for its match with Azerbaijan’s youngsters. Vucko gets the nod from Croatia’s national federation to play against Armenia.

We also collect £413,488 from the match against Anderlecht, which breaks our gate receipts record. I’m still looking to the board to expand the stadium, since that leaves £100,000 after the wage bill has been paid.

28th of August 2005

Spanish Super Cup - 2nd leg: Cartagonova v Barcelona

Despite the fact that I have several players knocking on the door to start the match, I decide to stick with the same eleven that has played together in the last two matches. That means no room for Jurica Vucko, who was left out to see how Lua-Lua would go and the ex-Newcastle player has done quite well since coming in. Barcelona begin with men sitting behind the ball and we can’t seem to break down their well-organised defence. Eventually, Barcelona begin to open up and cause my defence some problems as they look for the goal to kill off the tie. Livermore lets Thuram reach the byline before he cuts it back for Kluivert, but the Dutchman heads that opportunity over the bar. On the half-hour mark, the marksman squanders another chance, smashing a drive over the bar rather than beneath it. Six minutes later, he completes his hat-trick of missed chances when he wastes Verón’s fine pass. Verón proceeds to have two good chances himself in the lead-up to the break, but fails to make them count. I caution the players about paying too much respect to their opponents at the break, and I want them to closely shadow the Barcelona stars in the second half. I’m not too interested in whether they can score a goal, although the crowd wants to see some action in the Barcelona box as it’s been all the champions to date.

I decide to bring on Vucko to see what he can do to Barcelona and he replaces Lua-Lua at the restart. On 53 minutes, Clegg is unlucky not to open his account for the season when Laínez leaps across his goal to push aside the Englishman’s drive. Vidal finally needs to make a save on 60 minutes when Kluivert swings over the cross and Verón sneaks in between the defenders to head it at goal. Four minutes later, Kluivert and Verón test Vidal in quick succession but the captain is up to the task and stops both chances from going into the net. On 73 minutes, the ball finds its way into the Barcelona box at Kokmeijer’s feet and Thuram tackles him a little too vigorously for the referee’s liking. Filipescu puts the ball on the spot and calmly slots it! icon_smile.gif I admit, somewhat against the run of play, but I’ll take it. On 77 minutes, Livermore and Michel combine to set up Sabino who reaches overhead and puts the ball into the net with a fantastic bicycle kick. But unfathomably, the referee decides to pull up play for a foul on Sabino by Sergi. The striker is understandably livid about this and is booked for his troubles, with Filipescu needing to restrain the striker from going on with it. But Barcelona don’t escape conceding as Filipescu easily converts the free kick from about 20 yards out! icon_smile.gif

A poor tackle from Gershon means he sees red but with only 8 minutes left, there isn’t enough time for Barcelona to rescue the situation, although Alfonso manages to claw one back in injury time. I lose Vucko to a heavily bleeding gashed leg late in the match, which means Morán comes in for a few minutes of play, but we play out time to claim another trophy for the club! icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Gershon, Filipescu, Ballesteros; Michel, Gavião, Lua-Lua (Vucko 46 (Morán 89); Clegg; Sabino (Gustavsson 83), Kokmeijer.

Barcelona (4-3-2-1): Laínez; Sergi (Nedved 91), Pablo Paz, Cannavaro, Thuram; Davids, Astudillo, Gerard (Zanetti 54); Verón ©, Dani; Kluivert (Alfonso 89).

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Barcelona

Aggregate score: Cartagonova 3:2 Barcelona

MoM - Mauricio Astudillo

Dixie Flatline

Thanks Jordaowba! Glad to see you're sticking with the story, mate! And don't worry about not having the same style. Keep at it and you'll develop your own! icon_smile.gif

28th of August 2005

The club breaks its just set record for gate receipts, as we pick up a cool £413,632 from the game.

29th of August 2005

I’m somewhat surprised to hear from the Spanish FA that Shimon Gershon will be banned for another three league matches thanks to his ‘misconduct’ in the Spanish Super Cup. I decide therefore that he should receive an official warning, although I thought that while there was a red card for what he did, I didn’t predict the FA’s reaction.

3rd of September 2005

It’s World Cup qualifying weekend in Europe, so Kew Jaliens, Shimon Gershon, Kenneth Gustavsson and Ballesteros join their respective countries. In Group 1, Bulgaria has taken the group lead over Italy on goal difference after defeating Moldova 1-0. Group 2 is almost as tight as Group 1, with France leading Georgia and Belgium by two points. Belgium defeated Cyprus 3-1 in Nicosia, while Georgia enjoyed a comfortable 2-0 victory over Iceland. Ireland made it six wins from six games in Group 3 after hitting four goals past FYROM thanks to a brace from Inter Milan’s Robbie Keane. A brace from Clarence Seedorf guided the Netherlands to a 2-0 victory over the Faeroe Islands to qualify from Group 4. Cartagonova’s Kew Jaliens came off the bench to play 34 minutes for the Dutch. The battle is now on between Hungary and Wales to see who will finish runners-up, with Hungary enjoying a three point break over the Welsh thanks to Hungary’s 2-1 victory in Cardiff.

Finland also qualifies for the World Cup, booking their place with a 2-2 draw against Scotland in Helsinki. Lee McCulloch of Portsmouth rescued the Scots’ dream of finishing runners-up with an injury time equaliser. They trail Estonia by two points with a game in hand after the Estonians defeated Russia 1-0 in Moskva. A comfortable 2-0 victory to Poland over Azerbaijan allowed the Poles to book passage to Germany next year as they are guaranteed of topping Group 6. Attention in that group turns to whether Spain can finish second or will drop to third behind Austria. Spain’s 2-1 victory over Malta and Austria’s scoreless draw against Northern Ireland pushed the Spaniards into second place. Cartagonova’s Ballesteros was an unused substitute. In Group 7, Portugal leads Turkey and Bosnia by five points with two games left to play. Bosnia and Turkey shared the points in a 1-1 draw in Sarajevo, while Portugal pulled away with a 4-1 victory over Armenia.

Group 8 remains somewhat tight after England was pushed all the way by Andorra. Michael Owen put the English ahead on 4 minutes, but Rebollo equalised three minutes later. Steven Gerrard scored for England on 47 minutes, but Barreto again pulled Andorra level on 79 minutes. Finally, Kieron Dyer scored the winning goal in injury time. Belarus’ chances of finishing second disappeared in a 2-2 draw with Slovakia but the Ukraine’s 3-1 victory over Latvia pushed the Ukrainians to within a point of Slovakia. Finally, in Group 9, Norway ensured qualification with an easy 3-0 victory over Albania in Oslo. Switzerland, Albania, Sweden and Israel are all separated by a point, with two games to play, so the race is still on to make the play-offs. Cartagonova’s Kenneth Gustavsson played 26 minutes for Sweden in its 3-1 victory over San Marino, while Shimon Gershon helped Israel to a 1-1 draw with Switzerland.

6th of September 2005

Juan Carlos Castro and Francisco Sanz play for Spain’s U-21 squad against Azerbaijan. They set the standard for the senior team with a 2-0 victory in Espanyol’s stadium in Barcelona.

7th of September 2005

More World Cup qualifiers are played in mid-week. Italy took back top spot in Group 1 with a 3-1 victory over Moldova while Greece defeated Bulgaria 2-0 in Athens. In Group 2, France scored three times in 12 minutes to defeat Cyprus 3-1 in Saint-Denis. Borussia Dortmund’s Patrick Viera, Paris-Saint-Germain’s Sylvain Wiltord and Jérôme Rothen of Inter Milan got the goals. But Belgium kept up the pressure with a 1-0 victory in Brussels over Georgia - Grégory Dufer of Club Brugge got the vital goal. Ireland qualified for the World Cup from Group 3 after winning 2-0 over Yugoslavia while the Czech Republic was surprisingly held to a 0-0 draw by minnows Luxembourg. Wales is rapidly running out of games to catch Hungary for second place behind the Netherlands despite defeating Denmark 2-0 in Copenhagen this evening. Hungary crushed Faeroe Islands 4-0 in Budapest, while the Dutch did it easy against Lithuania 4-1 in Amsterdam. Cartagonova’s Kew Jaliens played 39 minutes as a substitute.

In Group 5, Estonia are assured of finishing second behind Finland after winning 4-3 over Romania. Adrian Mutu put the Romanians ahead on 29 minutes, but Estonia were level seven minutes later thanks to Saharov. However, Adrian Mihalcea had the Romanians back in front just two minutes later. Two minutes into the second half, Joel Lindpere equalised for Estonia from the penalty spot, while Aston Villa’s Andres Oper put them into the lead on 65 minutes. Yet within 60 seconds, Romania was level through Mutu. But the winner came on 78 minutes from Oper. In the meantime, Scotland’s chances were snuffed by a boring goalless draw against Russia at Hampden Park. In Group 6, Spain maintains a one point lead over Austria for the runners-up spot behind Poland with a 3-0 victory over Azerbaijan. Cartagonova’s Ballesteros was not included in the squad that played. Austria kept up the pressure with one game to come, winning 4-2 over Malta in Vienna. Poland defeated Northern Ireland 2-0 in Chorzow.

A 3-3 draw between Turkey and Portugal saw the Portuguese qualify for the World Cup, leading Turkey by five points with a game to play. But the Turks should be watching over their shoulders as they lead Bosnia by a point and Croatia by two points. Croatia meets Turkey in Split, while Bosnia travels to Lisbon to play Portugal. Meanwhile, in Group 9, England is assured of finishing top of the group after defeating Latvia 3-0 at Wembley Stadium. Former Leeds midfielder Jamie McMaster, now playing with Sunderland, opened the scoring for the Three Lions, before Newcastle’s powerhouse striker Trevor Benjamin added a brace in the second half. It leaves Slovakia and the Ukraine to fight it out for runners-up honours. Slovakia maintains a point break back to the Ukrainians after defeating minnows Andorra 3-0 but the Ukraine keeps pace with a hard-fought 3-2 victory over cousins Belarus in Kyiv. Finally, to Group 9, and runners-up spot is also still to be settled as Sweden is within one point of Switzerland after the latest round of matches. Sweden are indebted to Kennedy Bakircioglü who netted the only goal for the Swedes in their match against Albania in Tirane. In the meantime, the Swiss put four past the hapless San Marino in Serraville. The Swiss travel to group winners Norway in a month, while the Swedes need to beat Israel at home if they are a chance of sneaking into the play-offs. Speaking of Israel, Cartagonova’s Shimon Gershon played well in Israel’s 2-2 draw with Norway in Tel-Aviv.

I receive a call at home from the agent of Paulo Miranda, who requests an urgent meeting on the behalf of his client. I hope that it is in relation to a contract that I want the Argentine midfielder to sign, so I invite the agent to my home and delay my normal bed-time long enough to grant the audience requested. But I’m shocked to hear that the Argentine feels that it is time for a new challenge and wants to move on. This is explains his reluctance to sign a contract extension. I’m unhappy about this situation, but Paulo, through his agent, conveys quite clearly that he is no longer settled in Cartagena and wants to leave. I therefore have no choice but to grant his wishes and he is officially on the transfer list at his own request. The agent leaks the news to the press and I hear on the radio that I will accept offers of around £900,000 and that Villarreal is interested in buying the midfielder. We’ll see about that, I suppose.

8th of September 2005

Real Vallodolid jump in early for Miranda, offering a sizeable £2.2 million, but spread over 18 months. He might not last 18 months at the club, since he has barely lasted two seasons here, so I try to knock that down to six months payment period.

10th of September 2005

Unfortunately, my terms do not appeal to Real Vallodolid and they withdraw for the moment from the race to sign Miranda. Also, Simone Inzaghi, released by Lazio over the summer, decides to turn down Cartagonova in favour of Lodigiani, who have finally made it to the promised land of Serie B. I think it’s a slap in the face, but the lawyers tell me there is no case for us since we broke the original contract over the medical examination the club physios conducted earlier in the summer.

Primera Liga - Game 1: Real Sociedad v Cartagonova

Our league campaign finally gets underway with a trip to Basque country. Last time we met today’s opponents, we raced to a 2-0 lead before defensive frailties let the opponents back into the match. We eventually ran out 4-2 winners, and I expect more of the same today. So I’m displeased to see Lithuanian international striker Jankauskas get free in the box and try a header at Vidal’s goal. It fortunately goes wide, but it looks like that the old combination of Ãlvarez and Filipescu at the back is as shaky as ever. But Sabino doesn’t care for such things and he whistles a drive over Sociedad’s bar just 60 seconds later, yet it is somewhat against the run of play and industrious work from Real Sociedad is rewarded with a goal on 15 minutes to José Guerrero who heads home Samuel Slovak’s cross. icon_frown.gif We create sufficient opportunities to peg them back, but we can’t finish them off and we enter the break 2-0 down because on 42 minutes, Joseba Llorente, who scored a brace against us last time, scores another when he bangs home Guerrero’s low pass.

To say I’m unhappy with the state of affairs at the break is an understatement as I tear strips off the defenders’ backs. The midfielders haven’t performed either, and we need goals and quick to get back into this match. So I’m gratified to see Kokmeijer signal to the Dutch manager that he should get a go when he jinks neatly inside Xabi Alonso before slotting it beneath Alberto four minutes into the second half. On 54 minutes, I’m forced into a substitution when Lua-Lua signals he can’t go on. That allows me to introduce Redondo into the play, shifting Clegg onto the wing, and moving into 4-3-3. Five minutes later, we’re back on level terms when Redondo’s precise string-pulling sees the ball sprayed out to Michel and the winger scores his first for the campaign and at the right time, too, because to date he had been anonymous and I was about to substitute him. Sabino’s temperamental side gets the better of him moments later and I decide to play it safe, bringing on Morán for him and reverting to 4-3-1-2. Filipescu allows too much time for Biagini to have a crack and Vidal concedes a corner. I drag off the Romanian and replace him with Gustavsson, but Aranburu takes advantage of slack marking to head Real Sociedad back into the lead. I’m furious, but there is only so much you can do from the touchline, and I can’t get the boys to grab that important third goal.

It’s the first time we’ve lost on the opening day of the league campaign since we were promoted, and I’m a very unhappy manager on the way back to Cartagena. Vidal and Filipescu are warned about their performances - as senior members of the team, they should know better.

Real Sociedad (4-1-3-2): Alberto ©; Slovak, Schürrer, Pikabea, Pilipauskas; Xabi Alonso; Rodrigo, Aranburu, Guerrero; Llorente, Jankauskas (Biagini 52).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ãlvarez, Filipescu (Gustavsson 70), Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel, Lua-Lua (Redondo 54); Clegg; Sabino (Morán 70), Kokmeijer.

Final score: Real Sociedad 3:2 Cartagonova

MoM - José Félix Guerrero

Dixie Flatline

Thanks SCH! icon_smile.gif In my game, Niels played one good season with Heerenveen then went to PSV on a Bosman. But PSV suddenly decided he wasn't good enough to play for them. I tried to get him on loan for our first season in the Primera Liga, but he wouldn't come. Then he was so sick of not being played by PSV, he agreed quite quickly when I came with a chance of a permanent move. As I said in the squad preview, the goals dried up towards the end of the season, but he seems to have found his shooting boots at the start of the 2005/06 season. If he could be half as good as Kluivert is, then he'd score about 30 goals a season and I would be very happy! icon_biggrin.gif

The story continues from Cartagonova!

11th of September 2005

There is a rumour circulating amongst the local press that Jofre will leave for a D2B team for £675,000. I attempt to cultivate the rumour in order to get a nibble from the club, but no such luck just yet, unfortunately.

The weekend’s fixtures are concluded today - some clubs have already played three times, while we have only played once! Anyway, Ballesteros is named in the Team of the Week. I hope the Spanish national manager watched the match! icon_smile.gif

14th of September 2005

The group stage of the European Champions’ League kicks off tonight and we’re away to Ajax. But before we take a look at what happens in the match, it’s time to preview Group E: Ajax Amsterdam is the club that holds the pedigree in the competition, winning the European Cup four times, in 1971, 1972, 1973 and 1995, while losing finals in 1969, 1996, 2002 and 2004. Three players stand out in a squad studded with talent - 32 year old Portuguese international winger, Figo, joined Ajax over the summer from Parma in an £11 million move from Parma, Dutch international midfielder Theo Janssen will provide plenty of ammunition for French international striker David Trezuguet who will be partnered by Spanish striker Josemi with veterans Jari Litmanen and Michael Mols providing back-up. Couple that with a defence boasting Jaap Stam, Frank de Boer and Christian Chivu, and you have a side capable of going far in the competition this season.

The new campaign is Cartagonova’s second tilt at European glory. After topping the group at the end of Phase 1 last season, they were eliminated by a slim margin from the second phase and Señor Flatline hopes that his cosmopolitan squad can go that step further and make it to the knock-out phase once more. Having dismissed Anderlecht in the qualifying phase, Cartagonova already have some European matches under their belt this season. A strong midfield, boasting Croatian international Jurica Vucko, Englishman George Clegg and Congolese international Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua will feed strikers Niels Kokmeijer, Sabino and club talisman José Manuel Redondo. Perhaps the defence may be a little shaky, but Ballesteros and Shimon Gershon are stand-outs in any squad while Brazilian defensive midfielder Gavião provides a shield in front of the back four.

Liteks Lovach may be thought by some to be the minnow in the group, but it should be remembered that the Bulgarian club knocked out Manchester United along the way. Svetoslav Todorov poses a danger to many defences as the experienced Bulgarian has been a handful to control over the past few seasons. Ivan Zafirov’s proficiency at set pieces will be difficult to defend while Slovenian international Ermin Rakovic will deliver plenty of crosses for Todorov to feed off.

Scotland legend Kenny Dalglish has finally guided Newcastle United to the ‘promised land’ of the Champions’ League as he finished runners-up to West Ham in the previous season. St James’ stadium in the Geordie heartland is an imposing stadium and provides an intimidating atmosphere to all but the determined of visiting opponents while strikers Trevor Benjamin and Shola Amoebi are a difficult pair for most defences to handle. With English international Kieron Dyer pulling the strings from midfield and experienced defender Sami Hyppiä marshalling the back four, Newcastle are primed for a big Champions’ League expedition and nobody would be surprised to see them move into the later stages of the competition.

So now that we’re previewed what shapes up to be a fairly difficult group to escape from - no real stand-out clubs, but we’re all evenly matched, I think - let’s take a look at how we go against Ajax in our first round-robin game.

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group E, game 1: Ajax Amsterdam v Cartagonova

“… Cartagonova took all three points this evening in a classic smash and grab game to break the hearts of Ajax supporters. A single goal to Dutchman Niels Kokmeijer four minutes into the second half settled the game, despite Ajax bombarding the Cartagonova goalkeeper, Iván Vidal. The Cartagonova captain was inspirational between the sticks for the Spanish club, drawing high praise from his manager who hailed his performance as his coming of age. His counterpart, Australian Joe Didulica, made a crucial mistake, kicking his goalkick onto the head of Fernando Morán who nodded it down to Kokmeijer, and the Dutchman, schooled in the rivalry with other clubs in Ajax, gleefully smashed home the goal. With 46,500 fans in attendance wanting an equalising goal, Ajax tried everything to break down the stubborn Cartagonova resistance, but there was no way past Vidal.â€

I really never predicted this outcome, especially after we conceded three goals to Real Sociedad. But the warning I fired angrily at Vidal after his poor performance against them must have had some effect as he was absolutely unbelievable against Josemi in particular but in general, half the Ajax side. It reminds me of the match he played against Tenerife in February 2003 when he convinced me that he was the man to replace Veiga, who had gone to join Osasuna by stopping everything that Tenerife tried. It’s also good to see Niels Kokmeijer get the reward for the hard yards he has put in recently, and he now has firmly cemented a spot in the first eleven. Of course, we need to translate this type of form to the league, but I feel a whole lot better this evening than I did last Sunday. And what a way to mark my 250th competitive game in charge of Cartagonova! It’s been a long trip since the day when Marko Pantelic was sent off just two minutes into my first game, which we lost 2-1 to Figueres.

Ajax Amsterdam (4-3-1-2): Didulica; Serginho, F. De Boer, Stam, Heitinga; Van Bronckhorst (Figo 53), Vampeta (Litmanen 69), Knopper ©; Janssen; Trezeguet (Zongo 53), Josemi.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ãlvarez, Gershon, Ballesteros; Gavião; Michel (Mendoza 44), Clegg; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Ajax Amsterdam 0:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

Liteks prevails over Newcastle, so we lead the group on the basis that our victory was away from home while the Bulgarians triumphed at home. Unfortunately, I lost Michel for a fortnight with an injury he incurred just before half-time, but I suppose that means that Mendoza has the chance to press his claim for regular first team football.

Dixie Flatline

A quick return, then gone again!

15th of September 2005

My scouts are spotted this evening at Liverpool reserves’ fixture against Charlton Athletic reserves, checking out Robbie Fowler. The 30 year old striker has finally fallen out of favour with the club he has played for man and boy, and he is considering his options after Savo Milosevic supplanted him as Owen’s partner. My scouts all highly recommend the former English international striker, and also tell me to take a look at young John Miles who is a 23 year old striker and moved pretty well on the pitch. They also recommend veteran defender Emerson Thome, who moved to Liverpool hoping to cement himself as a regular player but has ended up in the reserves.

17th of September 2005

River Plate tempts me with a £1 million for Paulo Miranda. I, however, decide that a £1.5 million bid, split into £1.2 million now and £300,000 after ten league matches, would be a more appropriate price for the midfielder.

18th of September 2005

Primera Liga - Game 2: Cartagonova v Espanyol

It is time to kick-start our league campaign is the line I relentlessly hammer into the boys prior to this afternoon’s match. Conceding three goals in one match is not something we should be proud of, but a strong home crowd and the flush of victory from the Ajax match should stand us in good stead. Michel’s injury sees Mendoza take the left flank while Vucko is still not fit enough to be considered, meaning Clegg continues to deputise on the right and Morán plays his 122nd league game for the club, tying Fernando Couto’s appearance record. But it is all Espanyol in the early running as Quiñónez and Zubizarreta try their luck with drives that graze the cross-bar. But Mendoza hits the post when Pochettino shoves over Redondo within range just a minute later. However, Espanyol still have the better of these exchanges, and Vidal pulls off a good save to deny Raul Tamudo on 27 minutes and then Abreu 10 minutes later.

A quick, sweeping counter-attack sees Gavião within the Brazilian’s range and he crashes home a drive from 25 yards after good work by Mendoza on 39 minutes! icon_smile.gif But right on half-time, we let the Olympian Zubizarreta advance through the heart of our defence and his speculative shot hits the back of the net, to leave me annoyed at the break. I tell my defenders to tighten up at the back and my midfielders to keep hold of possession and play it along the ground as Espanyol’s superior height gives them the advantage in the air. So I’m further annoyed when Zubizarreta hits a swerving shot that rattles the post 8 minutes into the second half with no pressure on him from my defenders. But we earn a free kick on 54 minutes and Ballesteros’ quick thinking creates an opportunity for Kokmeijer which he doesn’t waste! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo should have made it safe on 62 minutes when he frees himself of his marker’s attentions, but he hits his volley wide of the mark. On 75 minutes, Vidal pulls off a fine double save to deny Espanyol a second equaliser. Right at the end of the match, we earn another free kick which Mendoza orchestrates. His bending shot hits Ayala and ricochets into the net with Esteban stranded! icon_biggrin.gif It’s our first league victory of the season and we were made to earn it, but it is still satisfying.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Mendoza, Gavião, Clegg; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Espanyol (4-1-2-1-2): Esteban; Juanma, Tasevski, Pochettino © (Ayala 59), Soria; Sergio (Molnar 54); Quiñónez, Zubizarreta; Martín Posse (Peloca 54); Abreu, Tamudo.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:1 Espanyol

MoM - Andrés Mendoza

19th of September 2005

River Plate returns with terms acceptable for Paulo Miranda, so I let the Argentine club and the midfielder discuss personal terms.

20th of September 2005

Paulo Miranda agrees terms with River Plate, but by a strange twist of fate, he doesn’t move to his new club until the 24th of July 2006, which is after his contract with us expires! I certainly hope that the money is paid now. But at least I have the opportunity to play him between now and then.

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group E, Game 2: Cartagonova v Liteks Lovach

With many of my first team all tuckered out by the afternoon heat in the game we played just two days ago, I’m forced to shuffle the cards a little bit. Surprisingly to both me and the player, Paulo Miranda has the opportunity to make me regret selling him by starting on the right, with Vucko still not yet fully fit (what’s keeping him?). Sabino replaces the tired Redondo, Gustavsson in for Gavião and Gershon in for Jaliens (Ballesteros moves back to right back).

It takes a while for the new first eleven to come together but on 10 minutes, some good linking play sees Mendoza with the opportunity to pull the trigger, but his shot flies closer to the corner flag than the goal, and the crowd groans with disappointment. Sabino should have put us in the lead on 21 minutes, but the ex-Coventry striker wastes Miranda’s flick-on with a shot that again is closer to the corner flag than the goal. Gershon, meanwhile, is kicked behind play by his Bulgarian opponent and needs to be replaced, so Lacruz in his first appearance this season, goes into right back with Ballesteros going back to centre half. Lacruz’s first meaningful contribution comes ten minutes later when he advances down the right and the furiously backpedalling Bulgarian defence, but his excellent cross is wasted by Mendoza who again fails to make the keeper work with another woeful effort. We finally make the goalkeeper work when with five minutes to play, Sabino controls Morán’s thoughtful pass before blasting a drive that Norbert Kerényi, the former Extremadura goalkeeper. The Hungarian tips it away for a corner, but Gustavsson’s cross is easily dealt with. A minute left in normal time and Lacruz almost opens our account with a forceful run and a shot to match that Kerényi does well to get to. Gustavsson’s corner is again cleared by the Liteks defence but it falls to Livermore and the Englishman sends in a wicked shot that evades the clutching Kerényi and hits the back of the net. It’s a good way to end the first half.

The Bulgarians come out after the break looking earnestly for an equaliser and Vidal, who had nothing to do for the first 45 minutes, is suddenly extremely busy as Penev, Zafirov and Dimitrov all test him. But fortunately he comes through that unscathed and we calm the pace down slightly to reassert our domination on it. But Liteks aren’t done with yet and fifteen minutes into the second half they start their second burst. The Bulgarians appeal for a penalty for a foul by Lacruz, but instead the referee shows the yellow card to the fervent cheering of the home crowd to Rakovic for diving in the box. But Todorov shrugs off his marker to fire a quick shot in at Vidal’s goal that almost fools the keeper. His clearing kick falls invitingly to Zafirov who returns it with interest, but thankfully Vidal tips it over the bar. I bring on Vucko for Mendoza on 72 minutes to try to establish some control in midfield, and we finally haul ourselves back into the contest to give Vidal a breather. On 87 minutes, the Liteks defence cracks again and Sabino gets the goal his work deserves heading home Kokmeijer’s perfectly weighted cross. He should have had another in injury time when he beat the keeper to Kokmeijer’s cross, but his header clears the bar by scant inches. Still a 2-0 victory consolidates our grip on top spot, although there are plenty of games left to play.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ãlvarez, Gershon (Lacruz 22), Ballesteros; Mendoza (Vucko 72), Gustavsson, Miranda; Morán; Sabino, Kokmeijer.

Liteks Lovach (5-3-2): Kerényi; G. Penev, Popov, Angelov, Kushev, D. Penev; Dimitrov, Rakovic (I. Todorov 75), Ivanov (Petkov 70 (Kirilov 81)); Zafirov ©, S. Todorov.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Liteks Lovach

MoM - Niels Kokmeijer

In the warm-down session after the match, Sabino injures his groin and the physios diagnose the injury as one that will take about a month to recover. This will seriously test the strength in depth at the squad since only two recognised specialist strikers are available to me now, particularly in the Champions’ League.

24th of September 2005

Lecce tempt me with a bid of £550,000 for Jofre. The money is not quite what I expected, but with over £17 million available for use to purchase players, I guess it isn’t as important as it used to be. What is more important to me now is that I have the chance to rid myself of an unwanted player. So I take the chance, and allow the Italian club and the winger to discuss personal terms.

Primera Liga - Game 3: Cartagonova v Elche

Some clubs will play their fifth game today. We’re lagging behind as this is only our third game. That explains why we’re only 16th in the league thanks to a 1 win, 1 loss record so far this campaign. My unintentional squad rotation system continues this week with George Clegg, José Redondo and Gavião all returned to first team action, while José Lacruz steps into the breach caused by Gershon’s injury (he would still be suspended anyway) and the fact that Jaliens hasn’t exactly thrilled me at right back this season. Ballesteros continues at centre-half. Today is the day that the last record owned by Fernando Couto is erased from the Cartagonova records as Fernando Morán plays his 123rd league game for the club, easing past the Portuguese league appearances record.

We make a bright start with George Clegg almost sending a shot fizzing into the bottom corner, but pressure from Mascorro and Luis Enrique puts him off his stride. Three minutes later, an exquisite through ball by Gavião puts Redondo clean through and in desperation, Pedro José Dorronsoro reaches out and trips him up as the striker is about to tuck his shot into the net. The referee immediately flourishes the red card and Redondo dispatches the accurate and successful penalty past Mora who replaces dangerous striker Pedro Guede (much to my relief). Kokmeijer should have extended our lead on 22 minutes when clever work by Redondo sets him free, but the Dutchman’s volley goes wide of the mark. Seven minutes later, he wastes another opportunity when Ãlvarez passes the ball into the area looking for him. But with five minutes left in the first half, he makes no mistake from Livermore’s cross, volleying sweetly first time into the top right corner of Mora’s net! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo almost makes it three on the stroke of the break when he fends off his marker and drives in a shot at Mora, but the keeper gratefully clutches the shot to his chest.

Fifteen minutes into the second half, Fernando Morán marks his milestone with a tremendous goal, sweeping home a devastating thunderbolt from 20 yards and the crowd goes nuts in celebration. Mendoza almost increases Elche’s embarrassment when his fine volley from Morán’s corner is well-saved by Mora. With an eye upon our trip to Newcastle in mid-week, I substitute the tiring Redondo and bring on Mauro Esposito for his first appearance of the season and he ensures that I won’t forget about him quickly when he smashes in Kokmeijer’s perfect cross with three minutes to play. It’s an excellent result for the club and it pushes us into 9th position, although with seven matches still to come tomorrow. Kokmeijer earns a perfect ten for another standout performance and surely the time has come for the Dutchman to be called up to the squad. With a fortnight to the Netherlands’ next match, I am crossing my fingers that he joins Jaliens in the national squad. It certainly wasn’t a happy homecoming for former local boy Francisco Ãlvarez. The young midfielder was swamped in the midfield, and he was eventually substituted eight minutes into the second half.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Óscar Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Lacruz; Mendoza, Gavião, Clegg; Morán; Redondo (Esposito 77), Kokmeijer.

Elche (4-2-4): Dorronsoro; Manusovich, Mascorro, Cuadrado ©, Zé Maria; Luis Enrique (Grønkjær 53), Francisco Ãlvarez (Pablo 53), Roy González, Guede (Mora 10), Nano, Juanjo.

Final score: Cartagonova 4:0 Elche

MoM - Niels Kokmeijer

Unfortunately, the performances of Kokmeijer do not catch the eye of Dutch manager, Louis van Gaal. Kew Jaliens still keeps his place though for the match against Wales. The Netherlands is aiming for a ten match clean sweep of the group, having won all nine to date, scoring 24 goals and conceding just three! icon_eek.gif

Andrés Mendoza is called up by Peru for his country’s fixtures against Colombia and Venezuela. With three fixtures left in South American qualifying, Peru is an outside chance of reaching fourth position and the play-off against Australia, but they need to leapfrog Brazil and Chile to get there. It will be difficult, particularly with a match against table-topping Colombia. The match against Venezuela is a friendly match.

Romania calls up Iulian Filipescu for its meaningless match against Scotland. Romania have collected only four points in the qualifying campaign, while Scotland cannot lift itself above Estonia thanks to the four point gap to the Balkan country which has already completed its group stage of qualifying. Ballesteros remains in the Spanish squad for the crucial fixture against Northern Ireland. A win would secure the Spaniards runners-up spot and a chance to sneak into the World Cup by the playoffs, but they must beware that Austria is only a point behind and hosts group winner Poland in Vienna. Three Cartagonova players are called up to Spain’s U-21 squad - Salas, Castro and Sanz all further their footballing education.

Jurica Vucko is included in Croatia’s squad for the epic clash against Turkey in Group 7. With Portugal claiming top spot already and Armenia yet to gain a point, three countries are separated by only two points. As it stands, Turkey sits second with 12 points, but Bosnia is only a point behind, and Croatia a point behind Bosnia. Bosnia has the unenviable task of travelling to undefeated Portugal and winning and hope that Croatia can hold Turkey to a draw. A point for Bosnia and a win for Croatia will see Croatia leap into second spot. On the other hand, a point for Turkey and even a Bosnian victory should be enough, since Turkey has a +4 goal difference and Bosnia has a goal difference of 0.

Sweden calls up Kenneth Gustavsson for its final, crucial World Cup qualifier against Israel who can’t call upon the services of Shimon Gershon because he is still injured. Sweden trail Switzerland for second spot by a point and need Norway to at least draw but preferably win as Switzerland has a superior goal difference to Sweden.

Dixie Flatline

<----- Is embarrased to be this late in congratulating Senor Flatline on the Cup win and CL place icon_redface.gif

Being ill has its advantages y'know... got to catch up with this one again icon_smile.gif

Top marks still, and good to see people continuing their 00/01 stories well after the release of the next CM icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>

Unfortunately, the performances of Kokmeijer do not catch the eye of Dutch manager, Louis van Gaal. Kew Jaliens still keeps his place though for the match against Wales. The Netherlands is aiming for a ten match clean sweep of the group, having won all nine to date, scoring 24 goals and conceding just three!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, better delete the game now. It's reached the point where it's just getting silly icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4Five9:

Dixie, I'm sorry to interrupt, but I have to tell you how fantastic this story is! Please keep going icon_smile.gif it makes my day at work actually enjoyable!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot, 4Five9! icon_smile.gif I'm glad it makes your days at work survivable. The good news is that I've finished uni, so I have a four month break, which means a lot of time for playing CM and keeping the story going! icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ghostwriter:

That interruption lets me interrupt as well.

Just popping in to say that this story is still marvellous and i still enjoy reading it.

Good luck in the new season, Europe is just waiting to be conquered. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the praise, mate, and thanks for the good luck. Hopefully we won't crash and burn like we did last season in Europe. That was a bit embarassing, being turn apart by Parma twice like we were. icon_mad.gif I also hope the league form picks up otherwise we won't get back into Europe next season! icon_redface.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Raptor:

<----- Is embarrased to be this late in congratulating Senor Flatline on the Cup win and CL place

Being ill has its advantages y'know... got to catch up with this one again

Top marks still, and good to see people continuing their 00/01 stories well after the release of the next CM

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Praise from the mighty moderator! icon_smile.gif I hope everything is okay now with your health an'all! As for continuing the story, well I've been way too busy with uni to think about buying the new CM, and anyway I really enjoy this game now too much to stop playing it, so we'll see how we go! icon_smile.gif

Now, back to the story!

25th of September 2005

We drop back to twelfth after the conclusion of the round, but we have played two games less than everybody ahead of us except Barcelona (who have also only played three times but have a perfect record) and a game less than Valencia, who trails us by goal difference.

In the evening, Jofre agrees terms with Lecce and is in Madrid catching a flight to Italy to join the struggling Serie B club. We bank £550,000 from the sale of the former Barcelona B winger: Jofre (25 y/o, ESP, AM/F L): 38(3) apps, 8 goals, 8 assists, 3 MoMs, av. rating: 7.03

27th of September 2005

European Champions League - Phase 1, Group E, Game 3: Newcastle United v Cartagonova

We’re in the intimidating St James’ Park to play the English Magpies. Around 48,000 fans make absolutely clear what they think of us as my players troop onto the field. I take my place in the dug-out and look over to where Kenny Dalglish, the famous Scottish player, sits down and wraps his great coat around himself. He certainly has assembled a talented squad and in the pre-match briefing, I made sure the defenders exactly knew the power and the presence posed by Trevor Benjamin, the former Leicester City and Cambridge United striker, who has quickly taken the place of Alan Shearer in the hearts of the Geordies. Teaming up with Carl Cort means that Newcastle have a strong, physical front line and I hope that my defenders can handle the ‘twin towers’.

Cort gives me some heart flutters on 10 minutes when he is fed by Dyer, but his left-foot volley flies thankfully over the bar. Eleven minutes later, Kokmeijer asks the question of the Newcastle defence, but his header unfortunately clears the bar. Cort has the first shot on target for any side on 25 minutes when he sweetly meets Benayoun’s cross, but Vidal is perfectly positioned to push the shot aside. Livermore picks up the rebound and clears it away. Four minutes before half-time, Cort again finds himself free of his marker and tries a bicycle kick from Benjamin’s cross, but the crowd sinks back into their chairs as it hits the woodwork and goes out of play. Yet he is Newcastle’s most dangerous player and he tests Vidal twice before the break. Thankfully he doesn’t break through the goalkeeper and we enter the break stalemated at 0-0 apiece. But Kokmeijer is looking poorly and I have the physios give him the once over at the break. It isn’t good news - he has pulled his hamstring and he won’t take part in the second half. That means that old Newcastle boy Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua has the chance to make Dalglish regret he let the forward go as he pairs up with Redondo at the beginning of the second half.

Lua-Lua has our first shot on target just after the break when he hits a half-volley accurately, but Kostwinder deals with it effectively and I sink back into my chair. On the hour mark, Cort once again finds himself in the clear for a crucial second or two and he powers a header towards Vidal’s goal, but the keeper flings himself across the goalmouth and pushes away the shot. Mendoza has been almost completely anonymous so far, so I decide to replace him with Rivera and push Lua-Lua onto the flank. It proves to be an inspired move as the old Real Madrid player takes the clearance from Livermore on 66 minutes and finds Morán with a neat pass. The midfielder looks up and measures the angles to perfection, driving a 25 yard rocket into the top corner of Newcastle’s net! icon_biggrin.gif That silences the fans as we celebrate the goal against the run of play. But it gets better as Lua-Lua runs down the left before finding Rivera dropping off his marker. Rivera takes the pass in his stride and looks for Redondo. The striker fends off his defender before smashing a drive into the bottom left corner! icon_smile.gif Twelve minutes to play and we have a two goal buffer. Diamond misses Newcastle’s last real chance of getting back into the game and as the Newcastle fans start streaming out of St James’ Park, we coolly play out time and claim our third win in succession in the first group phase!

Newcastle United (4-4-2): Kostwinder; Griffin, Hessey, Hyypiä ©, Breckin; Petkov, Dyer, Hansson (Diamond 79), Benayoun; Benjamin, Cort (Amoebi 91).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Lacruz, Gustavsson; Mendoza (Rivera 61), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer (Lua-Lua 46).

Final score: Newcastle United 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Alberto Rivera

But the victory comes with a price. Kokmeijer is ruled out for a month with his pulled hamstring, while we discover in the warm-down session afterwards in the dressing rooms that Fernando Morán suffered a severely gashed leg and won’t be available for two weeks thanks to the stitches the physios have to use to pull the skin back together again. icon_mad.gif I’m down to only one recognised striker (Redondo) and a couple of veterans.

2nd of October 2005

Primera Liga - Game 4: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

A difficult match in any circumstances is travelling to Vigo, but I’d much rather prefer to have at least one of my genuine strikers available to partner Redondo. I could consider Esposito, the Italian, who did well last season and has scored one goal already in the new campaign. But the fans are sure to want Rivera, especially after his good performance against Newcastle where he played a striker, so I decide to reward his good match with a start. George Clegg is fully fit, so he slots straight into Morán’s position while Gavião takes back the anchor role with Gustavsson dropping back to the bench. It is our last match for a fortnight as Europe concludes World Cup group stage qualifying next weekend, so I hope to go into the break with a good result under our belts.

But it almost starts disastrously as I could swear that Vidal catches Diego Ribera’s feet as the striker looks to evade the diving keeper and put the ball into the back of our net after just 4 minutes. But the referee sticks to his convictions and waves away all appeals from the Celta Vigo players and we live to fight another day. Vidal then proceeds to deny McCarthy a stunning goal on 8 minutes with a fantastic save. Thirteen minutes later, it is the turn of Redondo to bring the best out of the opponent’s keeper, as Mattias Asper somehow holds onto the striker’s fiercely struck volley. Diego Ribera wants to find a way past Vidal and almost does on the half hour mark, but Vidal again digs deep to deny the Spanish international. Then Redondo evokes memories of past years when he dazzles and tricks his way through a bamboozled Celta Vigo defence before launching a howitzer at Asper. Somehow, the Swede gets hands to it but such is the power it squirms out of his reach. Clegg follows up and gleefully tucks it away for his first goal of the season on 38 minutes! icon_smile.gif Yet just when I think we’ll make it to the break unscathed, Xavi replicates Redondo’s run through our defence and goes one step better, finishing off the move himself to give Celta Vigo something to hang their hats upon at the end of the first half.

Ringing words in the ears of the defence from myself about how they let Xavi bamboozle them like that must have disoriented the defenders as they allow McCarthy to race unhindered onto Clark’s low through-ball and the striker coolly tucks the shot beneath Vidal’s legs to give Celta Vigo the lead just three minutes into the second half. Diego Ribera still keeps hammering away at Vidal, but he has no luck in front of goal as the young keeper foils him time and again. On 66 minutes, with the forwards starved of service, however, I make a double substitution, bringing on Lua-Lua and Esposito for Vucko and Rivera. But it does little to alter the course of the match with Vidal again the busier keeper, denying Casquero and Ribera yet again. On 85 minutes, we earn a free kick which Mendoza takes, flighting the ball into the box. Former German international defender Christian Wörns fouls Redondo inside the penalty area and the referee incites more anger from the home crowd by awarding the blatantly obvious penalty. Redondo picks himself up, dusts himself down, ignores the crowd’s taunts and calmly slots it past the wrong-footed Asper. It completes our escape and I guess we’ve used up all our luck for the season.

Celta Vigo (1-2-5-2): Asper; Santamaría; Quique Ãlvarez (Casquero 66), Bravo ©; Fábio Aurélio, Clark (Wörns 66), Xavi, Morales, Arellano; McCarthy, Diego Ribera.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Livermore, Óscar Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Lacruz; Gavião; Mendoza, Vucko (Lua-Lua 66); Clegg; Redondo, Rivera (Esposito 66).

Final score: Celta Vigo 2:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Mattias Asper

7th of October 2005

The senior Spanish squad cheer on the U-21 boys, including Juan Carlos Castro and Fernando Sanz, to a 2-1 victory over Northern Ireland at Windsor Park in Belfast.

8th of October 2005

The World Cup group stage qualifying is concluded in Europe this afternoon. Here are some of the highlights. Italy’s 2-0 victory over Greece in Rome allowed Bulgaria to finish second in Group 1 despite drawing 2-2 in Sofia to Slovenia. Veterans Filippo Inzaghi of Roma and Barcelona’s Fabio Cannavaro scored for Italy. France won Group 2 by two points from Belgium. Third-placed Georgia held the 1998 winner to a 1-1 draw after France played the second half with 10 men thanks to the dismissal of David Sommeil of Bordeaux. But the Belgians couldn’t break the resolute defending of Iceland after Steed Malbranque put the away side in the lead after just 4 minutes, Eidur Gudjohnson levelled the match on 68 minutes and that is the way it stayed.

John Aldridge is the toast of Ireland this evening after his Emerald Boys completed a clean sweep of Group 3, winning all eight matches and completing their qualifying run with a 1-0 victory over the Czech Republic in Prague. Arsenal’s goal machine Graham Barrett scored the goal on 72 minutes, giving him 18 international goals in 36 international appearances. The Czechs still finished second despite Yugoslavia’s 3-1 win over FYROM. Kovacevic’s brace and a goal to Kezman wasn’t enough for Yugoslavia as they finished a point behind the Czechs. Group 4 saw the Netherlands also win all ten of their qualifying matches. The latest country to suffer at the hands of Louis van Gaal’s orange shirts was Wales, who were slaughtered 4-0 in a depressing performance in front of their own fans at Millennium Stadium. Ruud van Nistelrooy, Edgar Davids and Moreno Esseboom of Chelsea scored the goals. Hungary finished second, six points clear of Wales, after defeating Denmark 1-0 in Budapest.

Group 5 had already been finalised, with Finland easily winning the group, finishing four points clear of Estonia. Scotland came back from the dead to equalise 2-2 apiece with Romania in Bucharest. Cartagonova’s Iulian Filipescu was involved, while his manager Señor Flatline sent scouts ostensibly to check out Scottish international striker Alex Notman. They are sure to report favourably on the VfB Stuttgart striker, who began the comeback with a goal on 56 minutes after Romania raced to a 2-0 lead just before half-time. Manchester United’s Sergei Baltacha levelled the scores just before the end of the match. Group winners, Finland drew 2-2 with Russia in Moskva. Russia finished bottom of the group with no wins from its eight matches and it collected only four points.

In Group 6, Poland won the group and despite finishing second, Spain will not take part in the qualifiers, meaning that the pressure on Señor Javier Clemente is almost certain to rise to an intolerable level. In results that mean little overall, Poland and Austria drew 1-1 in Vienna, Malta defeated Azerbaijan 2-1 in Baku while Northern Ireland and Spain drew 1-1 in Belfast. In Group 7, Croatia overcame the setback of an early Hakan Sükür goal to win 4-2 against Turkey to edge out both Turkey and Bosnia for second spot and a place in the play-offs behind Portugal. Cartagonova’s Jurica Vucko played 90 minutes for the Croatians. Portugal killed off Bosnia’s hopes with a comfortable 3-1 victory in Lisbon. Former Cartagonova defender Misrad Hibic assisted the Portuguese with an unfortunate own-goal after just 3 minutes. The Bosnians equalised on 77 minutes through Muslimovic, but two goals late in the match to Portugal sealed Bosnia’s fate.

In Group 8, England finished five points clear at the top after Fiorentina’s Joe Cole provided the winner against a plucky Belarus in Minsk. England took the lead after just 3 minutes when Middlesbrough’s Eddie Howe converted a penalty earned by Manchester United’s Keith Lyons. But Armishev immediately pulled it back to 1-1 with a fine run and goal. However, Joe Cole’s winner put the finishing touches to a good campaign from Kevin Keegan’s boys. The Ukraine defeated Slovakia 2-1 to overtake Slovakia and finish the group stage in second place, thereby earning a play-off position and denying that privilege to their opponents. The Ukraine spent 27 minutes of the match with ten men after goalkeeper Dikhtair was sent off for a foul on Michael Godvalt. But Godvalt missed the spot kick and Sergei Rebrov made the Slovakians pay with a goal on 71 minutes. Samuel Slovak equalised 9 minutes later, but right at the end of the match, up bobbed Rebrov with the vital winner and the Ukrainians were celebrating.

Archived