How to make your way in the Primera Liga (or not as the case may be)

Dixie Flatline

In the 2003/04 season, Señor Vicente del Bosque restored Real Madrid to what many believe is its rightful position at the peak of the Primera Liga ladder. A lot of that was credited to Alessandro del Piero, but the Spanish club allowed him to return to Italy with Juventus, who interestingly sold him almost immediately to AC Milan. Only £4.9 million was spent on former player, Guti, and continuing unrest amongst the important players like Raúl and Roberto Carlos threatens to upset Real Madrid’s new campaign. Still, it would hard to go past Real Madrid being capable of defending its league title while making a good fist of the European Champions’ League.

Señor José Carlos Granero at Real Sociedad, like many of his rivals and colleagues, was unable to spend a lot of money adding new blood to his squad over the summer. So, once again, the club’s fortunes will turn upon the performances of Brazilian international midfielder Rodrigo, Lithuanian international Edgaras Jankuaskas and striker Joseba Llorente.

Finishing fifth last season and missing out on a Champions’ League place by goal difference was not quite good enough for the fans of Sporting Gíjon, and they will demand a better approach to the new campaign. Of course, finishing fifth does ensure participation in the UEFA Cup, and with the addition of former Cartagonova goal machine Stan Collymore to the squad, there is considerable depth in attack. Undoubtedly, Peter Madsen and Da Silva will lead the lines this season again. But there is also strength down the spine of the side, with Barselleta’s influential play in midfield and Sergio marshalling the defence. Once again, Sporting should be there and thereabouts, and a top three position is not beyond them.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Valencia lost the unhappy John Carew to Torino but replaced him with the boy-wonder, Javier Saviola. Guus Hiddink’s £17.75 million investment in the 22 year old Argentine international is the biggest proclamation of Valencia’s determination to seize the title this year. Supporting Saviola is compatriot Martín Palermo and Spanish international Vicente, while Hugo Leal and Zlatko Zahovic remain dangerous players. In defence, club captain Gaizka Mendieta remains Valencia’s most important player. But all Valencia’s fans will expect a much better performance than the seventh place they gained last season. The focus will be on how the young Argentine striker will cope with the challenge of scoring goals in the Primera Liga, but if he can start banging them in immediately, Valencia may well surprise many people and grab the title from beneath the noses of the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid.

Down at Villarreal, the focus as always will be upon Argentine play-maker/forward, Walter Gaitán. Still unsurprisingly uncapped by his country, Gaitán remains the club’s best chance for achieving success this season. Spain’s national goalkeeper, Javier López Vallejo, also calls this club his employer but beyond those two players, there is seemingly a worrying lack of quality in the squad. The biggest off-season transfer was the £3.4 million capture of Yugoslav midfielder, Dragan Drasim, from Atlético Madrid, but there is little hope that Villarreal can improve upon twelfth from last season.

Real Zaragoza has been very quiet on the transfer market, with only the addition of Compostela’s Marcos Vales bringing smiles to the faces of Zaragoza’s fans. Instead, the manager, Señor Fernando Castro Santos, has concentrated upon reducing the average age of his squad with the likes of Hierro, Ander Garitano and Santiago Aragón all being given free transfers. But one worries that Real Zaragoza will only tread water this season, and given that they finished only 14th last season, this may not be good enough for the fans of the club.

21st of August 2004

Crikey, that took a long time! icon_biggrin.gif Time to get back to the football, as we have a match to play against Bayern München to come this afternoon.

Friendly – Cartagonova v Bayern München

This turns out to be a terrible match for us. Not the score – we actually draw 1-1 with Morán opening the scoring only to have Roque Santa Cruz pulling it back with about 15 minutes to play. But in the first half, José Redondo motions to the bench for emergency assistance to limp off the pitch. He goes straight into the rooms. And a minute after scoring the goal, Morán falls over and clutches at his foot. He joins Redondo on the physios’ tables, and the news is bad for both – Redondo broke a toe and will miss three weeks, while Morán twisted his ankle celebrating his goal ( icon_mad.gif ), so he is out for a month. Hence, both miss the trip to Moscow to play Spartak in the return leg. Maybe both have heard things about Moscow that I haven’t?

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 84), Ãlvarez (Jaliens 59), Ballesteros; Michel, Couto © (Gibbens 84), Rufete (Vucko 59); Morán (Miranda 65); Redondo (Esposito 24), Kokmeijer (Esnáider 84).

Bayern München (4-2-4): Kahn ©; Backer, Frank De Boer (Bermúdez 59), Kuffour (Maier 59), Babbel; Scholl, Jeremies; Kily González, Santa Cruz, Rebrov (Élber 59), George (Zickler 52).

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Bayern München

MoM – Fernando Morán

Surprisingly, Kew Jaliens gets a call-up to the Dutch squad, joining Keith O’Neill, Jurica Vucko and Iulian Filipescu as full internationals in their respective squads. Francisco Ãlvarez is selected in Spain’s U-21 squad.

22nd of August 2004

Barcelona gains the early-season psychological advantage over great rival Real Madrid by thrashing them 3-1 in the Spanish Super Cup’s first leg in the Santiago Bernabéu.

European Champions’ League – Third Qualifying Phase, 2nd leg: Spartak Moskva v Cartagonova

Holding a 4-1 lead on the first leg means that we’re under no pressure to score any goals in the return fixture, while Spartak needs three clear goals to take the tie on away goals. So if we can defend well enough, we’ll make it into the lucrative group stage. Lacruz commits a foul early, picks up a booking, and gives Vidal an early preview of what his next 90 minutes will consist of – stopping Spartak scoring, as Simão thunders a free kick into his safe hands. On 21 minutes, Simão hits the post with a fierce drive with Vidal well beaten, and I start chewing my nails. Kalinichenko hits a long-range volley on 34 minutes that just clears the bar, but we gain a measure of good fortune when Kuzmin idiotically pushes away Esposito in front of the referee who without hesitation orders him from the field! icon_smile.gif At half-time, I congratulate the players on their sterling performance to defend the lead, and I tell them that after another 45 minutes of that, we’ll be mixing it with the big boys. But I also get into the ear of Filipescu, who has had a poor first half and needs to pick up his game in the second.

Spartak almost gets the start they need to the second half when Bezrodny leaves Lacruz and Couto for dead before curling a delicate shot towards the top corner. Vidal scrambles across to push the shot away, but only into the path of Bezrodny. Vidal clips him as the Russian tries to side-step him, and he falls over theatrically in the box. I hold my breath… no penalty! icon_biggrin.gif God must truly be smiling on us! Fifty-four minutes into the match, Esposito has our first shot, but he hasn’t got the radar set correct and it flies well wide. Three minutes later, I drag off Filipescu for Jaliens who immediately picks up a yellow card for a tough tackle on an opponent. Parfenov gives away a free kick and Vucko tests the reflexes of the under-utilised Filimonov who doesn’t lose concentration. Kokmeijer gives us a reminder of how dangerous he was in the first leg when he breaks free of his marker’s attentions and blasts a drive towards the top corner, only to see Filimonov get across to turn it away. But as the minutes tick by, we can see the Spartak Moskva players lose their motivation and hope and we’re able to close out the match to earn a 0-0 draw and passage into the Champions’ League proper! icon_biggrin.gif Vidal is deservedly man of the match.

Spartak Moskva (4-4-2): Filimonov; Vlasov, Khizaneyshvili (Rada 57), Kuzmin, Parfenov; Tikhonov ©, Khokhlov, Kalinichenko (Agic 73), Simão; Shirko, Bezrodny

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Jaliens 57), Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel, Rufete; Vucko; Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Spartak Moskva 0:0 Cartagonova

Aggregate: Cartagonova 4:1 Spartak Moskva

MoM – Iván Vidal

For our troubles, we’re drawn in a tough group, with Bayern München obviously the favourite to advance. But Monaco and Panathinaikos won’t be easy to defeat, particularly on the road. But we are rewarded financially with UEFA depositing £1.8 million into our account.

Fernando Couto’s international career is not over, as Portugal names him in the squad to meet Croatia in a fortnight.

27th of August 2004

Two goals in fourteen minutes are enough to allow Porto to sink Barcelona in Monaco this evening.

29th of August 2004

Primera Liga – Game 1: Cartagonova v Alavés

We kick off our league campaign against a club we thrashed 4-0 in the corresponding fixture last season. When Michel feeds Esposito on 5 minutes and the Italian striker forces Dudek into a fine save, I think a repeat could be on the cards. When Rufete’s corner is thundered home by Michel on 15 minutes, I’m even more confident. But the eleven, all of whom played against Spartak last Wednesday, seem a little reticent about building on the goal and it takes Kokmeijer to try his luck on 40 minutes to wake up the crowd who had fallen into a doze in the hot weather. Sequeiros tests Vidal’s reflexes a moment later, but fortunately, he is still awake and denies Alavés an equaliser close to the break.

After the break, Kokmeijer has two chances to extend our lead, but he blasts both shots wide of Dudek’s goal. Even Michel can’t hit the target on 60 minutes when fed by Lacruz and I’m growing anxious on the sidelines. Wisio is allowed to break free and he crosses dangerously into the box where Sequeiros out-jumps his marker and heads, thankfully, at Vidal. My heart is finally settled with nine minutes to play when Lacruz sends a great ball through to Esposito, who uses his pace and dribbling skills to clear the Alavés defence before sending a shot whizzing into the far corner! icon_biggrin.gif Only now do I relax with the points clearly in the bag. But Javi Moreno keeps us on tenterhooks when he fires at Vidal, only for the keeper to turn it aside.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Vucko; Esposito, Kokmeijer (Esnáider 89).

Alavés (4-2-4): Dudek ©; Wisio, Mayo, Sandy, Lara (Contra 79); Castaño, Gabsi (Patri 67); Figueroa, Iván Pérez (Moreno 56), Sequeiros, Epitié.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Alavés

MoM – Mauro Esposito

Barcelona rubbed it into Real Madrid’s face, defeating their rivals 2-1 in the Nou Camp to take the Spanish Super Cup 5-2 on aggregate.

News that George Clegg of Sunderland and formerly Manchester United is on the market sends me into action. I fax Sunderland a £2.5 million bid for the impressive midfielder and when Billy Davies informs me that my bid has been successful, I personally fly to the north of England to talk a deal with the player. I bring some ‘doctored’ pictures with me of the facilities that await him – it shows a space-age stadium with excellent training facilities reminiscent of Real Madrid, rather than Cartagonova! icon_wink.gif I coolly deflect questions about the true state of the facilities that Clegg’s agent has reputedly taken from the Internet. Can’t believe everything you read on that thing! icon_biggrin.gif He wants to be an important player and then demands an unbelievably low £775/week! I almost choke on my tea when I hear his agent outline that demand. Then I hear the trade-off – an absurdly low release clause of just £700,000. I’m willing to increase his wages to approximately £3,000/week, but only if he agrees to a min. release clause of £5 million.

30th of August 2004

It doesn’t take the young English midfielder long to make up his mind. Just as I’m about to board my plane back to Madrid, my mobile rings. It is Clegg’s agent, informing me that his client is delighted to agree terms. “Excellent,†I say in my perfect English. “I’ll see him on the 15th of December. You do know how to get your client to Cartagena, don’t you?â€

“Cartagena!†splutters the oily agent. “I thought he was going to Mallorca! He wants to go to Ibiza! He loves the beach!â€

“Oh, we have that, mate,†I say amusedly. “It might be a little black and sticky, but there is a beach… somewhere around, anyway.â€

2nd of September 2004

I’ll be able to off-load Roberto Sosa in the winter as he agrees terms with Pescara, rejecting the offer from San Lorenzo. I’ll receive, in total, £650,000 for the Argentine striker, as he returns to Italy: Roberto Sosa (29 y/o, ARG, S C): 4(2) apps, 5 goals, 1 assist, 1 MoM, av. rate: 7.67.

3rd of September 2004

Francisco Ãlvarez is selected in Spain’s match against Austria, helping the Spaniards defeat Austria 3-0 in Vienna.

4th of September 2004

Iulian Filipescu appeared for Romania, but came back home disappointed with his country’s 2-0 loss to Finland.

7th of September 2004

Francisco Ãlvarez continues to impress for Spain’s U-21 side as he did well against the Poles. Spain won 3-1.

8th of September 2004

Now I’m experiencing the frustration all club managers do when their players come back from international matches with injury. Kew Jaliens made his debut for Holland against Denmark in Amsterdam, but lasted only 17 minutes before he was carried off on a stretcher. Louis van Gaal, to his credit, phones me directly after the match to tell me the bad news. My defender will miss up to two months with a torn groin muscle. icon_mad.gif At least the Dutch went on to defeat Denmark 3-0, but it isn’t the debut Jaliens would like to remember, I’m sure.

At least there is better luck for Filipescu – he helps his country draw 1-1 with Russia in Moscow. Couto shows there is still life in those old legs as he turns out for Portugal against Vucko’s Croatia. Couto plays 63 minutes before being substituted while Vucko sits the whole match on the bench. They drew 1-1 in Lisbon.

Keep smiling! icon_biggrin.gif

Dixie Flatline

Thank you very much for the praise, Raptor. Sorry it's taken a couple of days to get back to you but I finally got my computer back from repairs and I needed a couple of days to 'settle' back into it! icon_smile.gif But it's the weekend, so I will keep up the writings (only if you keep up the readings! icon_biggrin.gif ).

Cartagonova comes alive!

11th of September 2004

Primera Liga – Game 2: Celta Vigo v Cartagonova

Back to what really matters – club football, and a dangerous visit to Vigo to play Celta, who are still no doubt smarting over the fact that we denied them Champions’ League football this season. Celta have rid themselves of the troublesome Edú but things aren’t peachy in Vigo, with important players like Andrés Olivera, Diego Ribera and Jesuli all unhappy about different things. Still, it doesn’t stop Ribera slaloming his way through our defence after just four minutes and bludgeoning a shot past Vidal’s gloved hands. icon_frown.gif But we only need to wait eight minutes for an equaliser when strong pressure on the Vigo defence forced them to cough up the ball. It falls at the feet of Vucko who feeds Kokmeijer, and the Dutch striker opens his domestic account with a rasping, low drive! icon_smile.gif But Celta’s players are determined to lead into the break and Vidal makes a string of saves. But Esposito forces Mattias Asper into a fine stop on 37 minutes just to remind our opponent that we possess our own threat. Yet, we remain on the back foot and Ribera and then Jaime Quesada blast fierce shots at goal that are turned aside by the strong finger-tips of Vidal.

Things aren’t much different after the break, with Vágner testing Vidal early with a powerful header. I decide that strengthening the defence with Stubbs would be preferable to seeing Filipescu beaten time and again, but just as the Englishman takes up his position, Esposito signals to the physios for immediate assistance. Luckily, Redondo passed a fitness test in the morning and he replaces the Italian striker on 52 minutes. It is the turning point, especially after the referee rules out Quesada’s scoring effort for off-side on 71 minutes! icon_eek.gif That was too close and it sparks our forwards into life. Redondo tees up Kokmeijer only for the Dutchman to hit the side-netting so on 77 minutes, Redondo does it himself – taking Rufete’s cross in his stride, he dances his way through the Celta defence before slamming a drive into the top corner! icon_biggrin.gif But it isn’t quite over yet as Ribera twice cuts our defence into ribbons with his dribbling skills late in the match but his full-tilt runs aren’t rewarded with a goal, thankfully.

Celta Vigo (1-2-5-2): Asper; Santamaría; Quique Ãlvarez, Bravo ©; Fábio Aurélio (Numan 53), Schmildhalter (Jesuli 76), De Pedro, Vágner, Jaime Quesada; Olivera, Diego Ribera.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Stubbs 51), Óscar Ãlvarez, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel, Rufete; Vucko; Esposito (Redondo 52), Kokmeijer.

Final score: Celta Vigo 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM – Diego Ribera

Two wins from two games is a good way to start the season and we are the early ladder leaders, although the rest of the league play tomorrow.

12th of September 2004

Espanyol’s huge 5-1 victory over Real Zaragoza enables the Barcelona club to overtake us at the top of the ladder thanks to a superior goal difference.

14th of September 2004

Before I describe the action from our first group match in the European Champions’ League, let me take the time to quickly summarise what type of opponents we face in the first phase.

Bayern München is the punters’ favourite to take top spot in our group, Group B. Bayern’s fortunes turn on the performances of its formidable strike force, Norway’s captain, Christer George, Paraguayan international, Roque Santa Cruz, and Ukrainian international, Sergei Rebrov. Manager Ottmar Hitzfeld supports these jewels in the crown with players of the experience and calibre of Portuguese international, João Pinto, Dutch international, Frank de Boer, and German internationals, Markus Babbel and Jens Jeremies. It is an experienced squad, with an average age of almost 30, and there isn’t much that Bayern won’t be prepared for.

Cartagonova battled its way from the bottom division in Spain’s football league to fourth place and a spot in the European Champions’ League last season. And Señor Flatline is determined to make the most of the club’s opportunity to perform at the highest level in Europe’s club competitions. In José Redondo, he has one of the most prolific forwards in Spain, while club captain, Fernando Couto, is no stranger to the big-time occasion, playing for clubs like Lazio and Barcelona in his decorated career.

The Spanish club will be fighting it out with Monaco for that second qualifying position behind Bayern. Monaco, the club from the principality, always has the wages to afford some of the best players in France, but its performance in European competitions hasn’t been good, to say the least. Still, a strong defence and some quality midfielders, particularly former Parma winger, Johan Micoud, and Ludovic Guily should pose a particular threat to their opponents in this group.

Panathinaikos will hope that it isn’t in Group B merely to make up the numbers and any club that boasts a player of the talent like Mark Viduka is a club that shouldn’t be taken lightly. The Greek club needed to defeat the gigantic AC Milan in the qualifying stages, and they did so with a magnificent 3-0 victory in the historic San Siro stadium. Any team capable of pulling off such a stunning upset is surely no easy-beats, and any club taking Panathinaikos lightly will do so at their peril.

Champions’ League – Phase 1, Group B, Game 1: Cartagonova v Bayern München

So on a fine evening we get this underway. It’s not long until we’re on the back foot when former Tottenham striker, Rebrov, shields the ball from my defenders before launching a rocket into the goal after just 8 minutes of football. Five minutes later, Redondo’s headed shot from Ballesteros’ cross is calmly plucked out of the air by Kahn, while Michel volleys just over the bar. Vucko is our most dangerous player and he tests Kahn with a fierce drive on 19 minutes, but to no avail as the veteran keeper tips his shot aside. Kokmeijer and Redondo also try their luck before the break but we enter half-time 1-0 down.

A rousing half-time speech sparks the boys to come out punching in the second half and we’re rewarded with Vucko’s first goal for his new club thanks to a spectacular bicycle kick from Michel’s excellent cross! icon_smile.gif But we lose track of Mehmet Scholl and his slide-rule through-ball finds Santa Cruz. Thankfully, the Paraguayan’s goal is ruled out for off-side as my back four stepped up smartly, but we’re too easily torn apart at the back with Filipescu playing another shocker. It’s end to end stuff with Kokmeijer and Rebrov testing the keepers for both sides, but Bayern has the last laugh. Christer George breaks free of his marker and volleys Deco’s marvellous ball into the far corner of the net to condemn us to an opening day defeat. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Moya 71), Ãlvarez (Curro Torres 91), Ballesteros; Michel, Couto © (Miranda 81), Rufete; Vucko; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Bayern München (4-2-4): Kahn ©; Maier, De Boer, Bermúdez (Kuffour 60), Babbel; Scholl (Deco 66), Jeremies (George 71); Kily González, Santa Cruz, Rebrov, Zickler.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:2 Bayern München

MoM – Jurica Vucko

16th of September 2004

The Olympic Games’ football competition kicks off with Spain thumping Mexico 5-0 and Francisco Ãlvarez has the distinction of being the first footballer to score the goal in the 2004 Olympic Games. He also created another goal for his teammates but didn’t capture the MoM award.

19th of September 2004

“… And finally to football. Real Madrid after defeating Real Sociedad 5-1 last night, has denied persistent rumours that it is about to table a £50 million offer to Roma for its inspirational talisman Francesco Totti. Real Madrid sold Alessandro del Piero back to Juventus in the summer and have not replaced the Italian playmaker. Totti would be an ideal replacement but the legions of Roma fans would consider the sale of the homegrown hero an outrageous move for Signor Fabio Capello and his assistants to even consider. There has been no word from Rome about the ramifications of this move, but even the numbers thrown about suggest that the power in world club football has shifted away from Italy to Spain. We will continue to follow this developing story…â€

Primera Liga – Game 3: Cartagonova v Numancia

It’s the first time we’ve played Numancia since we tangled in the Segunda Liga, but they have made a good fist of returning to the top flight in Spain and it lies fourth in the league to our second. With Champions’ League football draining some of our players, hot weather on the Sunday is not something we appreciate, but Couto girds the loins to take the team out regardless. He might as well have not bothered because Lacruz gives away a free kick that is easily converted by Lunari, picking up Emmanuel Babangida’s pass. icon_mad.gif Vucko and Rufete should have had us at least on level terms by the half-hour mark, but the Croat’s shot flies high and Rufete’s is saved by Núñez. But a bit of fortune flows our way when Redondo’s pass to find Vucko is turned into his own net by Babangida on 32 minutes! But do we build on that? No, of course not. Dani Torres turns Filipescu inside out and then thunders a drive past Vidal on 41 minutes as Numancia’s fans re-start their cheering and taunting of the Cartagonova supporters.

I’m absolutely furious at half-time. Filipescu isn’t the only one to have played poorly (though he is the worst culprit). We’re not getting any drive out of midfield and the defence is regularly swamped. It’s time to stamp my authority on the team so Filipescu is left in the dressing rooms for the experienced Stubbs to make another appearance. Five minutes into the second half, Mr Reliable, José Redondo, exchanges passes with Michel before lifting a delicate shot into the top corner past the reach of the Numancia keeper. But we’re playing too poorly to think about snatching the three points and the omens don’t look good for our visit to the Principality in three days. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Stubbs 46), Moya, Ballesteros (Curro Torres 66); Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Vucko (Miranda 66); Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Numancia (4-5-1): Núñez; Gustavo, Curro Montoya, Babangida, Pedersen; Octavio, Gorka (Cañas 74), Lunari, Marini ©, Acuña; Dani Torres.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Numancia

MoM – Emmanuel Babangida

Filipescu and Ballesteros are summoned to my office after the match and with Luis Sosa supporting me, I fine Filipescu a week’s wages – the first time I’ve ever fined anybody for a poor performance – because I had officially warned him the week before. Ballesteros gets the official warning treatment. Frankly, I’m at my wits’ end with Filipescu. He will be dropped for our match against Monaco, but he is so vital to our cause that I really can’t do without him.

22nd of September 2004

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Game 2: Monaco v Cartagonova

Time to make some wholesale changes with poorly performing players given the idea that their complacency will be rewarded by them being dropped. That means that there is no game for Filipescu, while Michel is rested - Curro Torres comes in for the Romanian while Paulo Miranda has the opportunity to impress. We suffer a blow with Redondo going down with an injury before kick-off. Esnáider replaces him. Apart from an early opportunity wasted by Micoud nothing much happens until Kokmeijer and Vucko play a delightful one-two before Kokmeijer shows why I was willing to invest so much money in him by thundering a drive between Cassard’s legs. Torres aims to impress me and he almost puts his name on the scoresheet with a rasping drive that Cassard does well to parry aside. But Monaco plays the counter-attack cannily and when a move breaks down Lamouchi and Farnerud play the ball to the feet of Turdó. He draws the foul from Moya and Lamouchi makes us pay by blasting a wicked free kick over the wall and beneath the cross-bar.

Couto’s poor first half sees him taken off at the break with Gibbens taking his place. In truth, I should not have played the tired Portuguese but I did need some type of leadership out there. Yet it wasn’t working. We are lucky, however, when Giuly’s goal from Micoud’s cross is ruled off-side. Just when the match seemed destined for a draw, Miranda wakes up, plays a neat one-two with Kokmeijer before bursting into the Monaco box and thumping a rocket past Cassard into the back of the net! icon_biggrin.gif Esnáider then forces a corner with a shot from Miranda’s cross, while the Argentine could have added another but Cassard pulls off a superb double save to deny the midfielder. Still, I’m happy with our first three points of the group phase.

Monaco (4-4-2): Cassard; Riise, Djetou, Christanval © (Marquez 69), Farnerud; Micoud, Dabo, Biscan, Lamouchi; Turdó, Giuly.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ballesteros, Moya, Lacruz; Couto © (Gibbens 46); Miranda, Rufete; Vucko; Esnáider, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Monaco 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Paulo Miranda

23rd of September 2004

My club will soon be facing a player I have very much admired as Celta Vigo’s manager announces proudly to the assembled national press that he will sign Sevilla’s creative playmaker Francisco Javier Casquero for £10.5 million. But for Sevilla’s status in the Segunda Liga, Casquero would have already been capped by his country.

26th of September 2004

Primera Liga - Game 4: Málaga v Cartagonova

Boy, this European adventure is difficult! Just a day after returning from Monaco, we’re back in the air again, travelling to La Rosaleda in Málaga. With Real Madrid and Athletic Bilbao moving above us with good victories yesterday, we need to hit back quickly to keep up the pace. Morán and Ãlvarez return to full fitness, but I’m happy with the first eleven currently doing the job, so I don’t change the team today. Miranda carries on his good work by forcing Contreras into a smart save early on while Kokmeijer volleys over the Argentine’s cross on 15 minutes. Vidal needs his wits about him to deny Agostinho opening the scoring after 23 minutes and he does superbly to block Gomez’s shot two minutes later. But the man I spent some time over the summer chasing, Fabián O’Neill, tees up the defender Zepeda and he buries his opportunity with relish on 29 minutes. icon_frown.gif But the lead lasts just seven minutes as Kokmeijer forces a corner and Miranda takes Edgar’s clearance in his stride before driving home the equaliser. Then Zepeda turns from hero to villain by clattering Esposito inside the box and Miranda strokes home the penalty to give us the lead at the break.

An entertaining affair takes another turn in our favour when Esposito slaloms his way through the heart of the Málaga defence, effortlessly drifting past and through tackles, before driving the ball into the bottom of the net after 53 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif Serrizuela reduces the deficit on 65 minutes with a wonderfully executed volley but Vucko almost replicates Esposito’s fine run with one of his own that culminates in our fourth goal of the game. To top things off for Zepeda, he is sent off for two yellow cards with 13 minutes to play, but we’re done scoring this afternoon.

Málaga (1-2-5-2): Contreras; Ramón; Zepeda ©, Javi Navarro; Agostinho, O’Neill, Edgar (Jorge 91), Tayfun (Arteta 56), Serrizuela; Gomez, Ismael.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ballesteros, Moya, Lacruz; Couto © (Gibbens 90); Miranda, Rufete; Vucko; Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Málaga 2:4 Cartagonova

MoM - Paulo Miranda

The result pleases the board no end and returns us to second spot behind Espanyol. We’re the fourth club to hit double figures in the ‘goals for’ column, so we’re looking fairly prolific at the moment, despite the absence of Redondo.

The first managerial casualty of the new season hits the back pages of the evening’s papers as Real Zaragoza’s board fires Fernando Castro Santos for being dead last in the division and without any points after its first three games of the season.

28th of September 2004

Francisco Ãlvarez’s good performances in the Olympic Games have again drawn Villarreal’s attention back to the young midfielder and this morning, Señor Víctor Muñoz attempts to tempt me with £350,000 for him. I’m sorry, mate, but I’m not willing to let him go just yet.

The first Australian to play in Spain for a while will arrive in the country in winter after former Juventus and Perth Glory star, Ivan Ergic, agrees terms with the managerless Zaragoza this morning.

28th of September 2004

There is big news from our group in the European Champions’ League as Panathinaikos defeats Bayern München 3-1 in Munich - a hat-trick to Greek international Giorgos Karagounis sealed Bayern’s fate this evening and pushes the Greek club to the top of the group after two matches. They’ll be coming to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena with plenty of confidence.

29th of September 2004

The Gazzetta della Sport goes to town this morning reporting a rumour that Luis Figo of Parma is all set to return to Real Madrid in a deal worth £14.5 million to the Italian club. If you ask me, I think the Portuguese wizard would be crazy to return to Real Madrid given that he was so unhappy there in the first place and that all the people that made him unhappy are still there. But that’s football, I guess.

Francisco Ãlvarez has the opportunity to bring a coveted Olympic gold medal back to Cartagonova as he helps Spain to defeat Brazil 3-2 in Berlin in the semi-final. They will play either Germany or Holland on Saturday. That unfortunately clashes with our game against Mallorca, but I’m personally faxing through all our hopes and best wishes for the young midfielder to have a good game in the final.

News comes to the club in the evening that Juan Carlos Castro will join Ãlvarez in the Spanish U-21 squad to take on Azerbaijan in Baku. I hope both players make it through that trip safe and sound.

Keep smiling! icon_smile.gif

Dixie Flatline

After a difficult week, there is still time to contemplate a little bit of fun

2nd of October 2004

Primera Liga - Game 5: Cartagonova v Mallorca

Today is a match shown live on ESPN, but still the crowd rolls up to our match against the eighth-placed island club. Almost 18,000 people have only just taken their seats when Kokmeijer’s pass is gleefully rocketed into the Mallorca net from 30 yards by Esposito after just 4 minutes. About 15 minutes later, Moya’s long ball is headed towards goal by Rufete but Roa knocks it away and Uribarri gets across quickly to tackle Vucko. The Croat then tests Roa with a fizzing drive but the Argentine is in one of those rare moods and stops the ball. Just before the break, Couto’s pass is expertly controlled by Esposito before lashing a drive towards the top corner. But Roa again pushes it aside for a corner which Rufete wastes. icon_mad.gif Right on half-time, we’re denied a fairly blatant penalty when César tackles Vucko inside the area when the midfielder didn’t have the ball. When the referee blows his whistle for the break, I motion for Couto to have a ‘chat’ with the referee, but the Portuguese midfielder tells me that the referee thought Vucko dived. Rubbish…

We begin the second half like we ended the first as Esposito fires another rocket at goal only to have Roa tip it over the bar. Rufete’s corner is headed towards goal by Ballesteros, but again Roa manages to get a hand to the shot. We have completely dominated play to this point but have only the early goal for reward and when we start to tire, Mallorca’s forwards are given more room to operate in. Castillo and Michel cause my defence all types of trouble and on 70 minutes, I remove Couto and Vucko from the battle, replacing them with Gibbens and Morán respectively. But that doesn’t stop Mallorca from gaining control of the play but just when I think we’ve done enough to escape with all three points, Ramirez’s cross is bundled over the line by substitute Castillo. We have one final chance to take the points when Miranda’s long ball is headed towards goal by Esposito, but Roa denies us victory with yet another great save. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ballesteros, Moya, Lacruz; Miranda, Couto © (Gibbens 71), Rufete; Vucko (Morán 71); Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Mallorca (3-5-2): Roa ©; Uribarri, Djorovic, César; Pineda (Ramirez 69), Kühbauer, Jensen, van Gastel (Castillo 46), Pablo; Losada, Michel.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Mallorca

MoM - César

As we change into our street clothes after a disappointing result, more disappointment filters through from Germany as we find out that Spain lost to Holland 1-0 in the gold medal play-off in the Olympics. That means that Francisco Ãlvarez and Juan Carlos Castro, who was called up as a late replacement not just for the U-21 international next week, will come home with silver medals. Dutch and Groningen midfielder, Michel Borman, scored the winning goal early in the second half.

3rd of October 2004

“… Arsène Wenger has spent £10 million on bringing Welsh international midfielder Simon Davies from cross-town rival Tottenham Hotspurs in a move that will infuriate Spurs’ supporters. Both clubs are struggling after 7 games in the 2004/05 season with Spurs languishing in 19th place while Arsenal are 13th, level on points with Manchester United. Bolton leads the way with 15 points from seven games, a point clear of West Ham and Middlesbrough.â€

6th of October 2004

Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group B, Game 3: Cartagonova v Panathinaikos

This is going to be a fun match. Our form leading into it has been patchy at best while Panathinaikos have the firepower in Viduka and Liberopoulos to punch sufficient holes through our defence to worry me. But we could have had three goals inside the first ten minutes with Vucko, Esposito and Rufete all testing the goalkeeper. Finally on 23 minutes we achieve a breakthrough as Esposito feeds a through-ball into the path of Miranda who breaks away from his full-back before beating the goalkeeper with a low drive. But the lead lasts just three minutes as Liberopoulos fends off Moya, takes the pass in his stride before lashing it past a stranded Vidal who had started to advance before thinking better of it. icon_frown.gif Just on half-time, we get a lucky break when Couto’s pass intended for Kokmeijer is intercepted by Karagounis, but the Greek defender only guides the pass into the back of his net. icon_smile.gif But we can’t even defend that lead to the break as Vidal’s horrendous goalkick is picked up by a gleeful Viduka who thunders a drive into the top corner. icon_mad.gif

I have words to say to the defence at the break. They’ve all played woefully with the exception of Ballesteros. I make Moya the scapegoat and bring Filipescu into the match at half-time. It at least stops the Greeks charging towards our goal, but we’re creating nothing up forward. So in steps Redondo, the (almost) ‘forgotten man’, replacing Vucko. We survive Liberopoulos putting the ball into our net thanks to Viduka’s off-side call, but Panathinaikos go on a rampage, rattling the cross-bar, the post and testing Vidal numerous times. With my words still ringing in his ears, the keeper stands up to the barrage and right when the referee is about to blow for full-time, we conjure a goal out of almost nothing. Couto slides the ball through the heart of the Greeks’ defence where Redondo latches on it and drives the ball into the net! icon_biggrin.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ballesteros, Moya (Filipescu 46), Lacruz; Miranda, Couto ©, Rufete; Vucko (Redondo 63); Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Panathinaikos (5-3-2): Férnandez; Giorgos Panagiotidis, Goutis, Ioannou, Athanasiadis, Saric (Andreas Panagiotidis 63); Karagounis, Katsavakis, Makor (Galetto 58); Viduka, Liberopoulos.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Panathinaikos

MoM - Mauro Esposito

9th of October 2004

World Cup qualifying action in Europe takes centre stage, much to my relief. Ireland defeats FYROM 2-1 in Dublin with goals to Charlton’s Kenny Cunningham and Manchester United’s Roy Keane. The Netherlands did it comfortably against the Faeroe Islands, winning 4-1 in Amsterdam. Davids, Kluivert and Esseboom were amongst the goals for the Dutch, while Manai’s goal for the Islanders was little more than consolation. Miklos Fehér scored Hungary’s winning goal against the Welsh as they went down to their first loss of the qualifying campaign in Budapest 1-0. Scotland needed a late equaliser from Manchester United’s Darren Fletcher to save a point as Finland overcame Notman’s early goal to lead 2-1 with nine minutes to play at Hampden Park. A boring match in Vienna saw Northern Ireland leave with a point in a goalless draw. Spain finally posted a win on the board in Group 6, defeating Malta 4-2 at La Mestalla in Valencia. Their Iberian cousins, Portugal, slaughtered Armenia 5-0 in Yerevan with two goals coming inside sixty seconds at the end of the match. England top Group 8 on goal difference after thrashing Andorra 5-1 at the re-developed Wembley stadium, while Slovakia kept up the pace by taking Belarus apart 4-1.

10th of October 2004

Sevilla thinks it can tempt me by bidding £1.4 million for Ballesteros and £2.5 million for Paulo Miranda. Both offers are rejected outright. I’m not going to waste my time entertaining such bids from a club that I consider a rival (if and when it returns to the Primera Liga).

12th of October 2004

Valencia’s manager, Guus Hiddink, is attracted to Ballesteros by Sevilla’s interest in the player and this morning, the Dutch manager interrupts my coffee break with a telephoned bid of £1.7 million for the defender. I’m not willing to sell him for that amount just yet.

13th of October 2004

More UEFA World Cup qualifying action this evening and several Cartagonova players are involved. Keith O’Neill played 25 minutes in Ireland’s 2-0 victory over Yugoslavia as Robbie Keane scored both. Ireland tops group 3 after winning its opening three games. But Iulian Filipescu may have ended his international career after being sent off in Romania’s 3-0 defeat at home to Estonia. Jurica Vucko played 58 minutes in Croatia’s 4-0 victory over Armenia in Zagreb. Couto also played an hour for Portugal as they defeated Turkey 2-1 in Lisbon.

In other results, Italy defeated Moldova 3-1 in Rome, while Cyprus came back from a 2-0 deficit to draw 2-2 with France in Nicosia. Hungary put the sword to the Faeroe Islands 6-0. The Netherlands dominated Lithuania in Vilnius and returned with a 2-0 victory thanks to Patrick Kluivert and Theo Janssen. Despite a lot of goal-mouth action at both ends of the pitch, the Welsh and the Danes somehow managed to draw 0-0 in the Millennium Stadium. Scotland upset Russia 2-1 in Moskva, with both goals being scored by Spurs’ Kiegan Parker. Spain’s stuttering start to the campaign took a turn for the worse as they dropped two points to Azerbaijan in Gyanja. England kept up its winning start to the campaign by defeating Latvia 2-0 in Riga, but Slovakia kept pace with a 2-0 victory over Andorra.

I’m not the only person to notice that Iván Vidal has struggled to recapture the form that made him such a powerful keeper last season as a newspaper latches upon his poor form as a reason why I should be looking for a replacement sooner rather than later. But I have faith in my players to turn it around so I stand by the keeper. That prompts the man himself to reveal in an exclusive interview to the same paper that he is keen to repay me for standing by him in this crisis of confidence.

15th of October 2004

Valencia won’t go away as Señor Hiddink offers me £2 million for Ballesteros. This is coming uncomfortably close to his £2.5 million release clause, but I still turn down the offer.

16th of October 2004

Primera Liga - Game 6: Sporting Gijón v Cartagonova

It’s a different team I put out onto the field for this battle between second (our opponent) and third (us). But to my immense disappointment, it takes Sporting just 40 seconds to open the scoring when Barselleta too easily deceives Couto before flighting in the cross for Haruna Babangida to head home for his first ever goal for Sporting. icon_mad.gif As I expect from my players, we immediately set about trying to grab the equaliser but Bizzarri is in rare form this afternoon and denies Redondo twice. Miranda then tests his reflexes with a swerving, dipping free kick. Sporting threaten Vidal once or twice but soon we’re back camped around their penalty area. Yet the equaliser won’t come and right on half-time, Vidal does well to deny Peter Madsen a spectacular goal from a bicycle kick.

I try to rev up the boys at the break, telling them that if we keep up our performance we’ll get our just reward, but two minutes into the second half, Rivarola almost extends Sporting’s lead after racing clear of the defence down the left, cutting inside then blasting his shot over the bar. Redondo then heads Esposito’s cross over the bar and then a couple of minutes later, he heads Morán’s pass well wide of the mark. We’re having plenty of opportunities but nothing is happening for us in front of goal. Redondo and Esposito continue to pepper Bizzarri’s goal, but he won’t let anything through today and we leave Gijón disappointed to come away with nothing.

Sporting Gijón (1-2-5-2): Bizzarri; Otero; Sergio (Rivas 81), Ettien; Rivarola, Farinós, Makelele (Brandán 75), Barselleta ©, Babangida; Madsen, Da Silva.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ãlvarez, Moya, Ballesteros (Lacruz 62), Couto ©; Miranda, Vucko; Morán (Michel 62); Redondo, Esposito.

Final score: Sporting Gijón 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Marcelo Moya

19th of October 2004

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group B, Game 4: Panathinaikos v Cartagonova

After our loss against Sporting on the weekend, which sees us tumble to seventh in the league, I’m not confident as we board the plane for Athens this morning. But when Redondo gains a free kick which is marvellously converted by Morán on 7 minutes, I start to feel like we’ve come to play (finally). We survive a period of pressure where we just can’t clear the ball out of our defence (mainly thanks to Vidal’s poor kicking) but eight minutes after our first goal, our second comes when Redondo tees up Morán.

On 19 minutes, Couto tests the Bolivian keeper, Gato Fernández, and his shot is too hot for him to handle. It spills at the feet of Morán and he completes his hat-trick to have us 3-0 to the good! icon_biggrin.gif Nine minutes before the break, Michel launches a perfect through-ball into the path of Redondo and the striker makes it a great evening by scoring our fourth goal of the half. Panathinaikos have sufficient time to pull one back through Liberopoulos before the break.

The match quietens down considerably in the second half as we concentrate on keeping out the Panathinaikos forwards. Viduka finally breaks the shackles with 9 minutes to play but Vidal’s superb reflex save prevents the Australian from putting a measure of undeserved respectability on the scoreboard. We leave the stadium with the jeers of the Panathinaikos fans, meant for their own players, ringing in our ears. It sounds like music to my ears! icon_smile.gif

Panathinaikos (5-3-2): Fernández; Panagiotidis, Goutis, Athanasiadis, Panagiotidis, Saric (Theodorou 60); Katsavakis (Galetto 67), Karagounis, Makor; Viduka, Liberopoulos ©.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ãlvarez, Moya, Ballesteros; Couto ©; Michel, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Panathinaikos 1:4 Cartagonova

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

21st of October 2004

I’ve cultivated a long-standing interest in Yugoslav forward Savo Milosevic, and the Italian football media, desperate for a story, links my club with a £6.5 million move for him. I like him, but I don’t quite like him that much. Interestingly, Oscar Ruggeri, the manager of AC Milan, confirms that the powerful striker may well leave the club soon.

23rd of October 2004

Primera Liga - Game 7: Cartagonova v Real Madrid

Today we host the champion club of Spain. In our previous two meetings, Real Madrid have managed to defeat us and with our domestic campaign starting to falter, I would like to reverse that trend. But Real Madrid are still chock-full of stars and it’s all hands to battle stations in the first half. Morientes wastes a couple of opportunities inside the first half-hour, but strong tackling and a tactic of not letting the Real Madrid players settle on the ball frustrates them. Then a lucky break comes our way as Bornes tackles Kokmeijer too vigorously for the referee’s liking inside the box. Redondo has the opportunity to score and I hold my breath, knowing that he isn’t the most reliable from 12 yards. But he converts easily enough and we enter half-time one goal to the good.

I know that Real Madrid will come out breathing fire in the second half and I tailor my team talk accordingly. But I’m not prepared to see Ballesteros punch Raúl full in the face. Yes, I know the Spaniard can be an annoying little git at times, but what Ballesteros did is unconscionable and he fully deserves the walk of shame into the dressing rooms, surrounded by a posse of Cartagena’s finest and with my glaring eyes burning twin holes in his back. I hurriedly reshape the formation, sacrificing Vucko for Filipescu in order to get four at the back again. We get another lucky break when the referee ignores Guti’s admittedly valid claim for a penalty when Vidal brings him down inside the box. Occasionally we do manage to break the shackles, but Kokmeijer can’t extend our lead on two separate occasions. Eventually, the equaliser comes from Vivar Dorado. The midfielder nutmegs Couto before blasting a fierce shot past Vidal. Real Madrid’s players are in full flight now but a combination of bad finishing and good keeping deny them the winner. We’re lucky to escape with a point today.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Ãlvarez, Moya, Ballesteros; Michel (Miranda 89), Couto ©, Vucko (Filipescu 62); Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Real Madrid (5-2-1-2): Casillas; Roberto Carlos, Bornes (César 68), Kalla, Iván Helguera, Grillito (Salgado 75); Celades (Vivar Dorado 75), Simeone; Guti, Raúl, Morientes.

Final score: Cartagonova 1:1 Real Madrid

MoM - Iván Vidal

After the match, I march Ballesteros into my office, shut the door behind me and launch into a vicious, obscenity-strewn rant the likes of which nobody had ever witnessed at the club. It’s one-on-one, full in his face blowing of steam and by the end of the rant, the photographs of the club’s triumphs are rattling in their frames as I punctuate each obscenity with a smack of my fist on the solid desk before me. He cost us three points against the champions, ruled himself out for about nine league matches, and gone down a lot in my estimation. I elected not to fine him today, deciding instead to wait to see what punishment will be meted out by the Spanish FA as they seek to protect their ‘golden boy’.

But I’m gratified to see Iván Vidal, Marcelo Moya and Curro Torres make the starting eleven of the Team of the Week, while Óscar Ãlvarez sits on that team’s bench.

24th of October 2004

After the round of football is concluded, the Spanish FA’s disciplinary committee calls me at the office to inform me that they will suspend Ballesteros for a total of nine league matches. I promptly contact the defender and tell him that he must fork over two weeks’ wages - £15,000 - to the club due to his violent behaviour. Ballesteros verbally accepts his fine, but I don’t really care at this point in time. He cost us two points.

In better news, I’m told that our match against Osasuna will be televised live on Sky Sports 3 in three weeks.

The young left-sided defender, Pablo Brandán, is sold by Sporting Gijón to AC Milan for £4.5 million. I didn’t think he was that good.

27th of October 2004

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group B, Game 5: Bayern München v Cartagonova

This is a very important match for us. I think that a point today would give us qualification for the second group phase and another multi-million pound windfall from UEFA, which would be gratefully accepted by the board, I’m sure. But Bayern would like to top the group and with plenty of experience and talent through the eleven, it’s going to be a difficult match.

At least, that is how the script should have read if you are a Bayern supporter which, of course, I’m not. A well-worked move on 13 minutes unhinged the much-vaunted Bayern defence and Redondo is left in a one-on-one position with Olivier Kahn. Redondo coolly slots the ball between Kahn’s legs to give us the lead! icon_smile.gif Kahn has more work to do on 27 minutes when he needs to scramble to keep out Filipescu’s swerving free kick while 14 minutes later, Kokmeijer is on target and forces another fine save out of the Bayern captain. Given the state of affairs at the break, I’m fairly happy with our performance but I warn my players that Herr Ottmar Hitzfeld won’t take this lying down and they should beware the sting in Bayern’s tail.

Sure enough, immediately after half-time, Christer George tries his luck but Vidal gets behind the shot and pushes it away for a corner which we defend well. Then George again breaks free of his marker to feed Rebrov, but the Ukrainian’s drive is parried away by Vidal and Moya concedes the corner. Keeping out the German club is a full-time occupation but we do find time to spring the counter-attack and we stream forward in search of the clinching goal on 78 minutes. The architect is Morán who delightfully chips the ball into the path of Kokmeijer with the outside of his right foot. The Dutch marksman takes the ball in his stride, turns compatriot Ronald de Boer inside out ( icon_biggrin.gif ) before thumping the ball into the back of the net. That wraps it up for the match and we coolly play out time for a great victory.

Bayern München (4-2-4): Kahn ©; Backer, de Boer, Bermúdez (Kuffour 79), Babbel; Scholl, Deco; George, Santa Cruz, Rebrov, Zickler.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Filipescu, Moya, Lacruz; Couto ©; Michel, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Bayern München 0:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Curro Torres

The board of directors contacts me directly after the match, proffering their congratulations on a job well done to my players. I promise to relay their words to the players and also the fact that we will top Group B thanks to four consecutive wins giving us 12 points from 5 games, while Bayern, in second, has 7 points from five games. The battle is on in our group to see who will join us in the second phase with Monaco needing to cause a big upset in Cartagena in 13 days to leapfrog Panathinaikos and Bayern to finish second. More realistically, the Panathinaikos-Bayern München match will decide who finishes behind us in the group.

Dixie Flatline

I'm back with another update!

Around the leagues

In England, ten matches have been played in the Premier League by most clubs. Middlesbrough lead Newcastle and Bolton Wanderers by two points with Manchester City and Manchester United looming ominously behind. Chelsea, the defending champion, lies sixth. At the other end of the table, Aston Villa, Sunderland (who lost manager Billy Davies to resignation today) and Tottenham fill the relegation spots early in the campaign. In line for promotion to the Premier League are Everton and Portsmouth so far.

The chase for the Scudetto in Italy is only three games old after the Italian FA delayed the start of the season thanks to Italy’s Olympic Games commitments. Bari has taken maximum points from its three matches while Roma and Inter Milan lead the chasing pack on seven points. Salernitana, Parma, Vicenza and Ancona fill the relegation spots, but it is still early in the season.

On the Iberian Peninsula, the competition in Portugal is heating up with Marítimo leading Rio Ave by four points after eight games. Sporting Lisbon and Boavista are locked together on 14 points, three behind Rio Ave, while Porto and Benfica lie menacingly in fifth and sixth place respectively. Salgueiros, Espinho and Naval fill the relegation zone.

Finally to Spain now, and Sporting Gijón has taken over from Espanyol at the top of the Primera Liga. Sporting leads both clubs from the capital of Catalans by two points, along with Athletic Bilbao, with Espanyol, Barcelona and the Basque club separated only by goal difference. Defending champion Real Madrid lies sixth, level on points with fifth-placed Cartagonova and Celta Vigo. Atlético Madrid seems once again doomed to relegation, collecting just one point from its first seven matches. Real Sociedad and Elche aren’t faring much better at the bottom of the ladder. Getafe, Sevilla and Extremadura are the early candidates for promotion next season.

29th of October 2004

Former club Ourense is willing to offer José Ramón Dacosta a second chance and its manager, Paco Castellano, offers me £700,000 for him. I jump at the chance to off-load the unwanted player and I let them renew acquaintances. By the evening, Dacosta has agreed terms and we’re all happy.

30th of October 2004

“Deadly Doug strikes again!†screams the sports headline of the Birmingham Star as Aston Villa’s chairman fires John Gregory for failing to raise his club out of the relegation zone. A 1-0 loss to Arsenal in London was the final straw for the chairman.

31st of October 2004

Primera Liga - Game 7: Barcelona v Cartagonova

I hope the giant-killing mood carries over to today’s match. We’ve had a tough week, playing Real Madrid at home last weekend, Bayern München in Munich during the week, and now we’re in Barcelona to play the top side in the city. Things are looking up when Vucko’s cross is acrobatically converted by Fernando Morán after just 100 seconds of football! icon_smile.gif Things get even better when Kluivert puzzlingly pushes Iván Vidal in the chest a minute later and receives a straight red card. icon_biggrin.gif But we can’t hold onto our lead and Alfonso beats his marker to Guardiola’s pass and then hits a shot past Vidal to equalise for the home team. With a midfield boasting the talents of Rivaldo and Verón, it doesn’t do to sit back on our laurels and sure enough, Vidal is tested twice by both South Americans in quick succession. Apart from hitting the bar on the half-hour mark, we don’t create much more in the half and it’s a fairly quiet time in the dressing rooms as we rue that defensive error.

In the second half, Redondo should have added a second goal when he heads Kokmeijer’s cross wide of the mark but Couto picks up the resulting goal kick and feeds the striker again. Still Redondo can’t score a goal. Sergi and then Varela test Vidal a little too easily for my liking so to stop them marauding down our left, I take Michel off and replace him with Miranda who is slippery enough to give our opponents pause to think. But even his arrival couldn’t force a winning goal and we leave Barcelona with a point when it so easily could have been three.

Barcelona (1-2-5-2): Laínez, Cannavaro; Pablo Paz, Thuram; Sergi, Verón, Rivaldo (Gerard 58), Guardiola ©, Varela; Alfonso, Kluivert.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Curro Torres, Filipescu, Moya, Lacruz; Couto ©; Michel (Miranda 73), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Barcelona 1:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Sergi

2nd of November 2004

Just two weeks after criticising him publicly, the newspapers are lavishing praise upon Iván Vidal, and are publicly calling for him to represent Spain in the near future. Laughing inwardly at the irony of the situation, I add my voice to the call to give the keeper a chance at the top level.

3rd of November 2004

While the papers are happy with the performances of Vidal, their caustic attentions shift to full-back José María Lacruz. A columnist in a widely-read paper said that he thinks that my patience with the player appears inexhaustible, I have to drop him sooner or later. Excuse me, mate, but if I don’t even let my board influence my decisions on who I do and don’t play, what makes you think you have any such influence at all? icon_wink.gif He is curtly and summarily dismissed. Lacruz releases a press statement in which he underlines his gratitude to me. That’s fine, but I do need him to start producing the goods on the pitch (the columnist does have a point! icon_wink.gif )

5th of November 2004

Another player to cop criticism from the media is Michel as a national newspaper claims that his poor performances are undermining our tactics. Once again, I go into bat for my player, basically telling the newspaper to ‘rack off’.

Dixie Flatline

Back again after a short break!

European Champions’ League - Phase 1, Group B, Game 6: Cartagonova v Monaco

This match holds little interest for us as we’re already assured of finishing top in the group, but Monaco needs a big victory to sneak into second place and even finish third. I swap the side around, resting some key individuals while giving the others to impress me. We open the scoring when the impressive Redondo fires home a wonderful volley from the edge of the area on 20 minutes then on 33 minutes, Moya advances from deep towards goal before letting fly with a powerful shot that defeats the diving Cassard and hits the back of the net. icon_smile.gif Just before half-time, Giuly bamboozles Filipescu one too many times and the Romanian is sent off for a second yellow card after bringing down the Frenchman inside the area. I immediately substitute Rufete for Ãlvarez, but Di Tommaso calmly slots the penalty. Despite being down to ten men, we still control possession in the second half and Monaco is indebted to Cassard for keeping the scoreline down to 2-1 in the second half.

Cartargonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Filipescu, Moya, Jaliens; Michel, Gibbens, Rufete (Ãlvarez 44); Miranda; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Monaco (4-4-2): Cassard; Di Tommaso, Djetou (Christenval 52), Marquez (Dabo 90), Contreras; Ebell M’Bomo, Riise, Biscan ©, Farnerud; Turdó, Giuly.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Monaco

MoM - José Manuel Redondo

We lose Filipescu for at least the first game of the second phase but that’s okay, since his terrible form this season means he is no longer guaranteed of a place in the eleven any more.

10th of November 2004

The rest of the Champions’ League play their final matches and after the last referee blows his whistle, UEFA contacts me to tell me that they have deposited £1.2 million into our account. We are also drawn in the second phase with Besiktas, Bayer Leverkusen and Parma. This should be an interesting group! icon_biggrin.gif

12th of November 2004

Elche obviously liked what they saw when Miranda bossed the game against Monaco and this morning, the relegation struggler submits a bid of £2.1 million for the creative midfielder. But that isn’t up to snuff with me, so I turn the bid down. Like I said before, mate, I have plans for this guy.

Then I have a nice task to do as Redondo’s prolific scoring rate (particularly in the Champions’ League) again draws positive attention of the media to him. I am careful to add my voice of praise to the other voices and the fans, through the official web-site, praise me for finding the time to acknowledge the striker’s contribution to the team’s success. Like I could ignore it! icon_biggrin.gif Redondo’s official value rises to £4 million at the end of the week.

14th of November 2004

Primera Liga - Game 10: Real Betis v Cartagonova

I revert to my normal first eleven for the trip to Seville to play the relegation-threatened Real Betis. We dominate a boring first half yet we enter the break 1-0 down thanks to a free kick given away by Óscar Ãlvarez and converted by Michael Ballack. icon_mad.gif I switch to my attacking formation in the second half, but we still batter away at Iván Pinel for no reward. It is definitely three points dropped this afternoon in front of 46,000 fans.

Real Betis (3-5-2): Pinel; Rivas ©, Iván Campo, Maínz; Sun, Ezquerro, Ballack, Mario, Capucho; Casas (Parrado 75), Quinteros (Melgarejo 53).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Moya, Jaliens; Couto ©; Michel, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer (Esposito 68).

Final score: Real Betis 1:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Michel

The disappointing loss doesn’t cost us any places as the following table demonstrates:

16th of November 2004

Francisco Ãlvarez and Juan Carlos Castro both have a hand in helping Spain’s U-21 side defeat Italy’s youngsters 2-0 in Florence this evening. Well done to them, I say!

17th of November 2004

Several Cartagonova players are involved in international friendlies this evening. Jurica Vucko played as a substitute against France but Croatia lost the match 1-0 in Paris. Kew Jaliens earned his second cap for Holland and this time lasted 60 minutes before being substituted. The Netherlands won the game against Germany 1-0. Keith O’Neill played only ten minutes as a substitute for Ireland before he was himself substituted. Ireland won the match against Hungary 3-0 in Budapest. Iulian Filipescu played for Romania but his country lost an exciting match 3-2 against Sweden in Stockholm thanks to Kennedy Bakircioglü’s last minute winner.

18th of November 2004

Getafe’s manager has noticed that the excellent winger Oliver has languished in my squad so far this season without looking like playing a game. He therefore seeks to tempt me into selling the winger for the tidy sum of £1.6 million. I’m very tempted to accept this offer because while Oliver is good, there are so many players ahead of him at the moment. Instead, I decide to negotiate it, asking for £1.8 million + £500,000 after 20 league matches. Let’s see whether he goes for it.

20th of November 2004

Getafe doesn’t go for the demand I outlined for Oliver.

Primera Liga - Game 11: Cartagonova v Osasuna

After the Real Betis debacle, I want my boys to fight back hard live on television and in front of an almost packed stadium against today’s opponent, Osasuna. So I’m gratified to see a goal after just 120 seconds of football when Ãlvarez is given the opportunity to score by great link-up play by Vucko, and the Spanish defender doesn’t let us down. But little happens to enliven proceedings, although Vucko manages to head a chance well over the bar when it seemed easier to score, and then I’m forced into making a substitution when Moya limps off after 36 minutes. But we cannot be denied a second goal and once again, Vucko is the architect as his low, hard cross cuts out the Osasuna keeper before finding Morán and the midfielder buries the opportunity! icon_biggrin.gif

Osasuna come out with a more adventurous formation and the attitude to back it up in the second half and Vidal does well to prevent Ãngel Luis converting a free kick on 52 minutes. Morán has two good opportunities to make the points safe for us, but blows both of them, while Osasuna’s forwards aren’t doing too much better in front of goal with Gershon hitting his volley wide and Quique curling a shot over the bar. The match peters out to a comfortable victory for us in the end. But the most satisfying thing is to see Filipescu back at his imperialistic best as he wins almost all his tackles (seven from eight with four key tackles) and is a good distributor of the ball from the back.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Moya (Filipescu 36), Jaliens; Michel, Couto, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Osasuna (4-4-2): Ramón; Ibán Pérez, Saavedra, Josetxo, Coira; Ãngel Luis, Alfredo © (Zegarra 69), Calvo-Garcia, Finidi; Gershon (Armentano 81), Quique.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Osasuna

MoM - Iulian Filipescu

21st of November 2004

Getafe returns with an offer for a different player. This time, the manager offers me £425,000 for Ismael, the defender who has fallen out of favour with me this season. I immediately accept the offer.

22nd of November 2004

The morning newspapers fill a column inch or two with the rumour that I might be about to sell Ballesteros to Sporting Gijón for £1.4 million. It’s utter rubbish, as I tell the ‘journalist’ who wrote the story by shouting it furiously down the blower. When I replace the phone on its hook, it rings immediately. There’s good news this time - Ismael has negotiated a deal with Getafe and will leave in three weeks’ time. Not soon enough for me.

A couple of poor performances by former playmaker Cristian Ãlvarez leads a Valencia newspaper to raise doubts about his place in the Levante squad. I like the look of this story because I was very unhappy to let the Salvadoran international leave earlier this season and I want him back to finish the work I had started.

24th of November 2004

Ourense is the latest club to try to cash in on the good work we’ve done to improve the talent of Francisco Ãlvarez. Its manager bids £525,000 for the Olympian midfielder, but I’m not yet ready to sell him just yet, so I reject the bid. I want to see them flash the cash for the transfer of Dacosta soon rather than over-commit to purchases.

Before I kick off the European Champions’ League match against Besiktas, I might just review our opponents in Phase 2, if you’ll bear with me. Besiktas came through a tough group, finishing second to the defending champion Barcelona and well clear of Odd Grenland and the disappointing Chelsea, which failed to win a group match. The Turkish club likes to rely upon a formidable midfield which boasts former Dutch international Cedric van der Gun and uncapped Turk Kahveci Nihat while Norwegian international Magne Hoseth is always a dangerous threat. Up forward, the punch is provided by Turkish international Ümit Karan. But the secret weapon up the sleeve of Besiktas is vociferous home support which turns the Inönü stadium into a cauldron of passion. Coming away with even a point is a good achievement for opposition clubs.

Cartagonova won its previous five group matches in succession, a streak that shortened the small Spanish club’s odds of lifting the European trophy at the end of the campaign from the long odds of 100-1 to 16-1. But Señor Flatline knows there is still a lot of work to be done before that can be thought about. A lot will rest upon the shoulders of Fernando Couto, the club captain, and prolific striker José Manuel Redondo, who has impressed in his first season in the Champions’ League to date.

Bayer Leverkusen will have designs on taking out the top position in the group. A sprinkling of international talent and experience permeates Christoph Daum’s team, but the club has suffered a blow with important defender Jens Nowotny ruled out for a month with an ankle strain suffered in Germany’s recent loss to Holland. The young Croatian midfielder Jurica Vranjes is the key to the German’s success - his playmaking ability and his uncanny knack of reading the play has propelled Leverkusen so far while the goals should flow from Argentine striker Luciano Galletti and former Athletic Bilbao striker Ismael Urzáiz.

Completing this tough group is Italy’s Parma who boast a lot of talent and experience in every position. A lot will rest upon the shoulders of the flying wingers, Alex and Luis Figo, to provide the ammunition for the strikers, Brazilian international Amoroso, and Spanish international, Catanha, to convert.

So let’s do it!

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 1: Cartagonova v Besiktas

On a cool evening, the crowd is almost bored to tears with the sluggish first half where little, apart from Couto’s missed header, illuminates the football. I hope to liven things up with a strong motivational speech and it does the trick when Kokmeijer slips through the Besiktas defence before laying off a nice pass to Morán. The midfielder gleefully strikes the ball perfectly into the top corner of the net. That wakes up Besiktas too, and a minute later Kazim has the ball in our net. Thankfully, his celebrations are cut short by the linesman’s flag, raised for off-side. But a second goal would be very handy and it is duly delivered by our captain who picks up the pieces from Fevzi’s half-smothered block from Redondo’s shot. It deflates the Turkish club and we comfortably hold out the remaining twenty minutes of the match.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Fernández, Jaliens; Michel, Couto ©, Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Besiktas (5-3-2): Fevzi; Münch, Cemil, Tayfur, Erman, Nihat (Orhan 38); Ibrahim (Olcay 89), Hoseth ©, Kazim (Fazli 64); Ãœmit Karan, van der Gun.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:0 Besiktas

MoM - Fernando Manuel Couto

Since Leverkusen and Parma ended their match with a goalless stalemate, we top the group after the opening game. Not a bad start at all, I think! icon_smile.gif

28th of November 2004

Primera Liga - Game 12: Elche v Cartagonova

A litany of training pitch injuries leaves me with a ramshackle defence for our visit to Elche today. No Ballesteros (suspension), Moya (injury), Curro Torres (injury), Ãlvarez (injury) or Couto (suspension) leaves me dreadfully short and in the end, Alan Stubbs makes his first league start along side Mariano Fernández - a combination that thrills me no end. Filipescu tries his luck early however, only to see Dorronsoro turn it aside - a statement that will become depressingly repetitive in the next 90 minutes. After Filipescu then proceeds to hit the woodwork, Elche’s players sweep the ball away in a classic counter-attack that leaves Vidal exposed and Juanjo scores his first league goal ever for the club on 14 minutes. icon_mad.gif

But we’re doing all the creative work and but for Dorronsoro we should be three or four goals up by half-time. Yet time and again the former Oviedo keeper denies us with miracle saves from Morán, Redondo and Kokmeijer. This even continues into the second half when in desperation, I pull off Vucko, introduce Esposito and turn to 4-3-3. It seems to work immediately when Kokmeijer picks up the rebound from Redondo’s shot which hit the bar and plants it past Dorronsoro into the net. It’s no more than we deserve.

But foolish defending allows the ever-dangerous Guede to poach a goal with 14 minutes to play. If we’ve only scored one goal in the first 76 minutes of play after bossing possession, there is no chance we’ll equalise again, and despite throwing everything, including the kitchen sink, at Dorronsoro, the keeper stands tall and earns for Elche three points. I’m absolutely furious after the match. We’ve been denied three points by the heroics of one man and the calamitous defending and goalkeeping at the back. It’s not good enough as I find out we slip back to seventh. At least I’ll have Couto back for our next game.

Elche (4-2-4): Dorronsoro; Manusovich (Almqvist 52), Hélder, Cuadrado (Chico 52), Guigou; Ivic, Martens (Isach 58); Juanjo, Nano, Guede ©, Grønkjær.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Stubbs, Fernández, Jaliens; Filipescu; Michel (Miranda 77), Vucko (Esposito 58); Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Elche 2:1 Cartagonova

Pedro José Dorronsoro

Dixie Flatline

Another weekend, another great time to update the story from Cartagena!

I'm in grieving at the moment. My local club in our special type of football (Australian Rules football) lost in the preliminary final, which is essentially a semi-final in the knock-out stage of the competition by 9 points, which let me assure you, isn't much at all. icon_frown.gif

Anyway...

4th of December 2004

Primera Liga - Game 13: Real Zaragoza v Cartagonova

We attend La Romareda this drizzly Saturday afternoon in early winter as we have an appointment with Parma early next week. It’s time to make up some ground in the league, though, and I’m glad to welcome back the captain, Fernando Couto, to lead the club after he served his one-match suspension against Elche. Redondo is still looking for that goal to tie Stan Collymore’s league goals record and he almost has it on 7 minutes only to see Mora push his shot away and to safety. Zaragoza’s players take the ball straight up the field where Vidal does well to deny both Marcos Vales and Manel in quick succession. The game is open and attacking, and it’s only a matter of time before somebody scores. Thankfully, it is Niels Kokmeijer who strikes twice in the space of two minutes. Both are long-range goals from at least 30 yards and both will be on the tapes at the end of the season as contenders for goals of the season. The Dutchman has started to settle in well and he has us 2-0 up and cruising. But complacency creeps into the back-line (an all too familiar refrain this season), and we let Zaragoza pull one back through Perica Ognjenovic on 28 minutes. The second half is much of the same open attacking game, but no striker could get a shot on target or when they do, the goalkeepers save their shots. But we manage to hang onto our lead and a valuable three points are gained on the road.

Real Zaragoza (4-4-2): Mora; Placente, Jusué, Martinovic ©, Ferrón; Ognjenovic, Agirre (Peralta 51), Acuña, Marcos Vales; Peternac, Manel.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Stubbs, Jaliens; Couto ©; Michel (Miranda 88), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Real Zaragoza 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Niels Kokmeijer

“…Just six months after winning the English Premier League title, Chelsea’s chairman Ken Bates has fired his manager, Joe Kinnear, for failing to properly defend the crown. After sixteen matches, Chelsea lies a disappointing twelfth with just twenty points collected from those games. It trails league leader Middlesbrough by eleven points and it seems that Chelsea’s time at the top will be all too brief for its demanding chairman.â€

5th of December 2004

Niels Kokmeijer is named as Patrick Kluivert’s partner in an all-Dutch strikeforce for the Team of the Week after the weekend’s fixtures. Congratulations are due! icon_biggrin.gif

6th of December 2004

“… In transfer news this evening, Levante held a press conference this afternoon to announce that the former Dutch international defender, Ronald de Boer, will move to the Valencia-based club in just over a week on a free transfer. De Boer, twin of Frank de Boer, played two seasons with Barcelona before moving to Rangers in 2000 where he spent three seasons before returning to Ajax after the World Cup. But his former club decided to release him earlier this season and the winger has been courted by clubs such as Cartagonova. The transfer of Ronald de Boer to Levante should help the club also secure the signature of twin brother, Frank, who is out of contract with Bayern München in the summer and is looking to move clubs for possibly the final time…â€

I sure wouldn’t want to be the accountant at Levante right now, trying to figure out how to pay a de Boer without the bottom line bleeding red ink. And it doesn’t help the financial calculations that the club is 16th in the Segunda Liga and promotion is a million miles away.

I also have my own transfer news to announce. In fact, it is two pieces of news as I announce to the assembled media throng (well, I can dream, can’t I? icon_wink.gif ) that Peruvian international midfielder Andrés Mendoza will join the club on a Bosman free transfer from Club Brugge in the summer of 2005. Further, I’m delighted to announce that former fan favourite that wowed the crowds with his fantastic dribbling and scoring feats in the season of 2001/02 will once again grace the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena from next season. That’s right, Alberto Rivera ( icon_biggrin.gif ) turned down the contract offer from Señor Vicente del Bosque to sit on the bench for another five years in favour of resuscitating his career with Cartagonova!

7th of December 2004

European Champions’ League - Phase 2, Group C, Game 2: Parma v Cartagonova

Another away trip (I’m getting sick of leaving home every couple of days!) and this one is going to be tough with again, not the back four I would like to put out on the pitch. We’re under the hammer early when Catanha’s powerful header is parried by Vidal only into the path of the unmarked Lorenzini and he easily sidefoots the shot home to open Parma’s account. Catanha tests Vidal with a half-volley that the keeper does well to tip away on 12 minutes and then three minutes later, he again slips his marker but thankfully heads well over the bar. Somewhat against the run of play, Michel grabs an equaliser thanks to some brilliant dribbling through the heart of Parma’s defence. But we don’t capitalise and Parma re-take the lead on 26 minutes when Hugo’s delightful pass is easily converted by Amoroso. We’re being cut apart at the back now and when we eventually get the ball out of our half, Italy’s no. 1 keeper, Gianluigi Buffon, is in imperious form.

I drag Jaliens out of the match at half-time and fire an enormous rocket around the changerooms at the break. Redondo and Kokmeijer link up after 55 minutes but the Dutchman hits his shot well over the bar with a posse of defenders all around him. Parma completes the hatchet job on 78 minutes when Catanha’s cross is headed home by Amoroso. Lassissi almost adds a fourth when he heads a shot against the bar inside the last ten minutes while Amoroso could have sealed his hat-trick when he outpaces Ballesteros before striking a drive just over the bar.

We played pathetically and deserved to be hammered by more than the 3-1 scoreline suggests. icon_mad.gif

Parma (4-4-2): Buffon ©; Júnior, Lorenzini, Lassissi, Bonomi; Alex, Hugo, Appiah (Giannichedda 89), Falsini (Cafú 56); Amoroso, Catanha.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu (Gibbens 77), Fernández, Jaliens (Ballesteros 46); Couto ©; Michel, Rufete; Morán (Esposito 77); Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Parma 3:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Amoroso

I’m deeply dissatisfied and furious with the way we played in the last match. I make the entire back five (including goalkeeper) wait outside my office when we return to Cartagena and I discuss the absolute depths of their poor performances in livid detail. Only Fernández escapes an official warning, and that only by the skin of his teeth. Vidal complains that his warning is unfair, but he was the worst of the lot and has nothing to complain about. Thank God we don’t play another Champions’ League match until February 2005.

11th of December 2004

I announce to the press that I will sign Spanish Olympian Francisco Sanz from Vallodolid in the summer of 2005. He is a centre-half who can also fill the right-back role with, I consider, a big future in front of him.

12th of December 2004

Primera Liga - Game 14: Cartagonova v Valencia

After the debacle in Parma, the last thing I really want is to send out a team low on confidence against the dangerous Valencia team that boasts forwards of the calibre of Martín Palermo and Javier Saviola, not to mention former Real Zaragoza and Real Betis striker Yordi. But Kokmeijer is the first striker to test his opponent keeper when he curves a shot at Cañizares’ goal on 20 minutes, but the former Spanish international does well to push it away to safety. Then Kew Jaliens shows who’s boss to the dangerous midfielder Vicente with a superb tackle ripping the ball away from his feet. That draws appreciative applause from the crowd, but then they’re on their feet when Couto’s delicate pass is chested down by Kokmeijer and the Dutch striker eludes desperate tackles to strike a brilliant goal on 23 minutes! icon_biggrin.gif Just before half-time, I applaud a brilliant effort from Redondo and start back to the dug-out when boos and thrown coins from the crowd make me turn around to see the striker and his comrades protesting furiously against an off-side decision.

Bang on half-time, Saviola nips in between my defenders and causes Vidal to make a smart save to his left, but then with practically the last touch before the break, Michel hits the Valencia post with a powerful header. A strong speech and some tactical tweakings come to naught after the break when Redondo signals to the bench to be immediately substituted for an injury. I send on Esposito for the striker and while we’re still organising ourselves, Valencia hit us on the break with an equaliser to Vítor Lima. icon_mad.gif Worse is to come when substitute Zlatko Zahovic picks up Juric’s knock-down and curls a shot into the top corner of the net. icon_mad.gificon_frown.gif Desperate to save a point, I take off Morán and put in Vucko into the action and it turns out to be an inspired substitution as Kokmeijer provides the ammunition for him to head home the equaliser on 74 minutes. Esposito could have won it for us on 77 minutes, but his long stay on the bench seems to have robbed him of his finishing prowess and he misses with a low drive from just inside the box.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Filipescu, Fernández, Jaliens; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán (Vucko 66); Redondo (Esposito 52), Kokmeijer.

Valencia (3-5-2): Cañizares; Björklund, Mendieta ©, Mellberg; Vítor Lima, Vicente (Zahovic 60), Juric, Marinescu, Angulo; Saviola (Palermo 52), Yordi.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:2 Valencia

MoM - Niels Kokmeijer

After the match, I hurry down to the physios’ rooms to discover what Redondo has done to himself now. His injury is diagnosed as a strained groin and will keep him out for three weeks.

The point drops us down to eighth spot after fourteen league matches. But only two points separate us from fifth place on the ladder, so there is hope for us yet. Jaliens is named in the starting eleven of the Team of the Week while Kokmeijer sits on the bench.

14th of December 2004

I again front the media to announce another Bosman signing will be on his way to Cartagena next season. This time, Newcastle will lose talented forward Lomano-Tresor Lua-Lua as I snapped him up on a Bosman free transfer. This signing will spell the end of some of the careers of players currently at the club.

15th of December 2004

The Spanish transfer window opens again. I say ‘bye, bye’ to José Ramón Dacosta who leaves for Ourense, his former club, and Ismael, who moves to Getafe: José Ramón Dacosta (30 y/o, ESP, D/M L): 0(2) apps, av. rate: 6.00, Ismael (29 y/o, ESP, D LC): 38(2) apps, 3 assists, av. rate: 6.85

But I say a big warm ‘Hola’ to our latest acquisition, George Clegg, whom we sign for £2.5 million from Sunderland today. It brings my total spending this season to £8 million, which doesn’t sound that expensive when you stack it up against Celta Vigo’s £39 million or even Barcelona’s £19.25 million. Even Real Betis managed to spend £6.25 million on one player - a right-back called Omar Rodriguez, whom they bought from Tenerife today.

16th of December 2004

I lose Iulian Filipescu for a month as he succumbs to a groin strain. Perhaps my players are picking up extra-curricular activities that I should be worried about…? icon_biggrin.gif

17th of December 2004

“…Losing Copa del Rey finalist, Cartagonova, has been handed a tough game if it wishes to progress in this season’s competition. After qualifying for the European Champions’ League, Cartagonova was exempted from playing the first round and boss, Señor Flatline, would have wished for a lower division team to ease his players into the competition. Instead, he has been given the task of raising his team for a tough game against Sporting Gijón at El Molinón in Gijón on the 5th of January 2005. Sporting currently lead the Primera Liga by a point from Barcelona while Cartagonova lie eighth in the league, seven points behind Sporting.â€

Thanks, Ell_G! icon_smile.gif I hope to follow your Leicester story for a while!

18th of December 2004

I want Jofre to get some first team football to further his development and with Michel and Oliver ahead of him for that left-wing berth in my side, he isn’t likely to get it here. So I’ve put him up for loan for the rest of the season with a view to reviewing his position in the squad at the end. Osasuna is looking for a left winger and they make a loan bid for Jofre, offering to pay half his wages for that period. I naturally accept. By the afternoon, he is on his way to Osasuna.

19th of December 2004

Primera Liga - Game 15: Villarreal v Cartagonova

We need three points to get our faltering campaign back under way and it isn’t going to be easy against the comfortably mid-table Villarreal. But things are made much easier when Idrissa Keita receives his marching orders for professionally fouling Michel after just 8 minutes of play. That shifts the pendulum comfortably in our favour and we control the tempo of the game for its entirety. On 17 minutes, we take advantage when Ãlvarez hits a long ball into the box where Esposito slips his marker and thunders home the header! icon_biggrin.gif

But it is our only reward for our possession in the first half and I caution the players that we need at least another goal to be certain of the points. Six minutes into the second half, my players deliver as Morán picks up the rebound from Rufete’s powerful shot and hits it into the unguarded net! On 59 minutes, another rebound from Rufete’s attempt falls to the feet of Ãlvarez and the defender shows he can do it at the other end by adding our third goal of the game. Kokmeijer is denied twice in the space of 60 seconds and then a third time on 69 minutes, so we could have easily been 6-0 up by that stage. I think the time is ripe to introduce George Clegg and he comes on with immediate effect, teeing up Esposito for the volley, but the Italian doesn’t convert. Pablo then saves from the Englishman to end the meaningful action in the game.

Villarreal (3-5-2): Pablo; Unai ©, Hurtado, Keita; Parra, Drasim, Jesuli, Venetis, Callejas (Escoda 91); Gaitán (Sion 36), Víctor (Bracamonte 91).

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Livermore, Jaliens; Couto ©; Michel (Miranda 74), Rufete; Morán (Clegg 74); Esposito (Vucko 85), Kokmeijer.

Final score: Villarreal 0:3 Cartagonova

MoM - Óscar Ãlvarez

Thanks to Real Madrid losing yesterday to Celta Vigo, we leapfrog the giant Madrid club to go into seventh place. Jaliens and Ãlvarez are named in the Team of the Week’s starting eleven.

22nd of December 2004

Deportivo’s manager, Señor Miguel Ãngel Casquero, hopes to supply me with an early Christmas present by making a formal bid of £2.6 million for Michel. Michel hasn’t been the player he has previously been in the league this season, but he has done well in the Champions’ League and I still highly value the winger as my number one on the left. But I want to entertain the bid, so I respond with a demand for £4.5 million now plus £2 million after 20 league matches. I don’t seriously think that Deportivo will accept that response, but I know from previous experience that Michel likes to be valued by other clubs and I don’t want to alienate him.

24th of December 2004

As I suspected, my demand for Michel is too much for Deportivo and they leave off the chase for the winger.

25th of December 2004

“Merry Christmasâ€, signs the manager of Getafe, Señor Paco Fortes, at the bottom of his formal offer of £2.4 million for the £1.7 million-rated defender, Marcelo Moya. I reject it, because I now find that I highly value the defender. He is currently recovering from injury and when he is fully fit, I expect to rush him back into the starting eleven.

After the Christmas festivities are completed, I settle down in front of the computer to look at the news from the world of football. A web site concentrating on Spanish football includes an article describing the career of Niels Kokmeijer, and concludes that the striker is playing the best football of his career. I compose an e-mail to the editor of the web site, praising the striker’s performances. He is now our most valued player in terms of money.

26th of December 2004

Primera Liga - Game 16: Cartagonova v Atlético Madrid

Our supporters have the chance to work off their Christmas celebrations with a home match against the bottom club in the league. I send out my players expecting them to bring back another three points and for a while, Toni is the only man who stands between us and a goal as we rip apart the Atlético Madrid defence time and again. Eventually, we make our pressure count when Morán skips past two Madrid players before powering a rocket into the top corner of the net! icon_biggrin.gif But apart from Livermore’s late effort, we don’t create anything else and I’m rather unhappy at the break.

And for good reason. Atlético Madrid’s players come out to create options in the second half after their woeful first 45 minutes and they conjure an equaliser when Córcoles slips the ball inside to Borja and the striker levels the scores for his club. icon_frown.gif But we immediately wrest back the lead on 75 minutes when Rufete’s corner is brilliantly headed home by Michel. Esposito and Kokmeijer have opportunities to make the points safe, but in the end their misses don’t matter much as we control the game to the final whistle.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Livermore, Jaliens; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete; Morán; Esposito (Vucko 84), Kokmeijer.

Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Toni ©; Santis, Wome, Samuel, Manuel Pablo; Lardín, Albelda, Serban, Córcoles; Artigas (Borja 68), Tevenet.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Atlético Madrid

MoM - David Livermore

27th of December 2004

Elche joins the party, offering me £2.8 million for Marcelo Moya. This is coming dangerously close to his min. release clause amount of £3 million, but I can’t do much more than keep rejecting these offers for the talented defender.

28th of December 2004

As I expected, Elche returns with an offer that meets his release clause amount and I, against my will, turn over his agent’s details to the Elche manager. Elche has diced already this season with the bottom three and obviously sees Moya as the ideal signing to stop the goals against column haemorrhaging too severely from now on. Trouble is, I also see him in that light and I don’t want to let him go! Then I realise that that nice piece of little known Spanish contract law comes into play here. The money isn’t to be paid all at once, but rather over six months, and that gives me the loophole to reject the offer. So I pounce on that immediately.

30th of December 2004

Elche again returns with the same bid and once again, I use the loophole. But this time, I decide to negotiate the offer, wanting £5 million for the player. This is just as much as to placate Moya, who has become unhappy with me not letting him move on, as it is to encourage Elche to continue pursuing him.

Celta Vigo manages to recoup some of the large amount of money it has splashed around this season as Real Madrid signs up Uruguayan international forward Andrés Olivera for £14.75 million now and £900,000 more if he plays a league season for Real Madrid.

1st of January 2005

To add further torture to a head already aching with a large hangover from the previous night (happy new year, by the way), Getafe re-enters the chase for Moya, offering £3 million now for Moya. That knocks out my loophole and I’m forced to accept the bid for the Argentine defender. At least on the bright side, it will be a record signing for the club and represents a profit of £2.6 million (less wages) in just over one year at the club.

2nd of January 2005

“…The demise of the attraction of the Italian lire has been greatly exaggerated with Roma and Juventus recording big transfers today. Roma, a point behind league leader Parma, looked to bolster its attack with the double signing of Christian Vieri from Celtic and Filippo Inzaghi from Juventus for a combined total of £26.5 million while Juventus immediately used the money generated by selling Inzaghi to swoop on Lazio’s Hernan Crespo with the Argentine international moving to Turin for £20.5 million."

Primera Liga - Game 17: Espanyol v Cartagonova

It’s a wet and windy day that greets us this afternoon in Barcelona, a day not suited to our style of play. It’s little wonder that we defend for most of the match with our backs against the wall. Sebastián Abreu, Óscar and Martín Posse are Espanyol’s most dangerous players and Iván Vidal is by far the most busiest player on the pitch as they rain down the shots from all angles on his goal. But the keeper stands up to the onslaught and we earn a valuable point on the road at the second-placed club. We hardly create a thing in front of goal, but that’s not the point of today’s game (well, it is, but as soon as I saw how the wind and rain were lashing the stadium, I knew that we would struggle up forward). I’m comfortably happy on the way back to Cartagena, where I have a big decision to make - how much attention do I pay to the Copa del Rey?

Espanyol (4-1-2-1-2): Esteban; Juanma, Pochettino ©, Rotchen, Soria; Sergio; Quiñónez (Sietes 87), Nacho (Porras 55 (Molnar 81)); Martín Posse; Abreu, Óscar.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Livermore, Jaliens; Couto ©; Michel, Rufete (Vucko 58); Morán (Clegg 87); Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Espanyol 0:0 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

3rd of January 2005

Marcelo Moya agrees terms with Getafe and tells the assembled media that his departure is partly motivated by a clash of personalities with me. I’m still sorry to lose him, but not if he is going to exhibit that type of attitude towards me: Marcelo Moya (25 y/o, ARG, D RLC): 31(6) apps, 2 goals, 1 MoM, av. rate: 6.95

4th of January 2005

Sevilla offers me £1.7 million for Oliver. That’s double his nominal value, but Oliver is willing to continue fighting for a spot in the team. I’ll see if they go for £2.5 million plus £750,000 after ten league matches.

Dixie Flatline

One last update for the weekend

5th of January 2005

Copa del Rey - Second Round, Sporting Gijón v Cartagonova

This is going to be a really tough match, and to make it tougher, I throw in some of the younger players in order to rest Couto, Morán and Rufete. The barrage on Vidal’s goal begins early, but he has had plenty of practice. We also try to open the scoring on 10 minutes when Kokmeijer tests Bizzarri and then two minutes later, Clegg almost opens up his Cartagonova account. But Sporting gain a penalty when the referee judges Vidal to have clipped Da Silva in the area. I hold my breath as I see the referee reach for his notebook. He pulls out… a yellow card. icon_eek.gif Anyway, Vidal doesn’t have a chance stopping González’s penalty and it looks like we’re set for an early exit. But then Sporting proceed to hit the bar, spray their shots wide and occasionally test Vidal and on 37 minutes, Esposito breaks free of his marker to test Bizzarri who concedes a corner. Gibbens swings it over and Kokmeijer jumps highest to power home a header for his tenth goal of the season! icon_biggrin.gif That goal spurs Sporting into action and Vidal pulls off an absolutely stunning save to deny Peter Madsen and then another to stop Pavlovich.

The siege continues into the second half, and I decide that I cannot bear to watch Vidal pull off miracle saves time and again. So off comes Livermore for Stubbs while Miranda takes Vucko’s spot. The substitutions steady the ship and on 66 minutes Esposito spies Clegg sneaking into the box unattended by a Sporting player and the Italian fires the ball across the box for the Englishman to head home! icon_biggrin.gif Once again, Vidal is tested like never before as Sporting control the play around our defensive third of the match but like before, he can’t be beaten from open play and we upset the home club to move into the third round of the Copa del Rey!

Sporting Gijón (1-2-5-2): Bizzarri; Sergio; Martín Rivas, Ettien; Quique Martín, Calvo, Madsen, Luis González, Babangida; Pavlovich, Da Silva.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Curro Torres, Ãlvarez, Livermore (Stubbs 53), Jaliens; Gibbens; Michel, Vucko (Miranda 53); Clegg; Esposito, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Sporting Gijón 1:2 Cartagonova

MoM - Iván Vidal

6th of January 2005

Sevilla calls to say that they no longer want to pursue their interest in Oliver.

7th of January 2005

“… Finally to news from the Copa del Rey and today’s draw by the Spanish Football Association in Madrid pitched together the finalists of last season’s competition. Next Wednesday, Cartagonova will host Barcelona at the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena, while the second leg will be played a week later. Barcelona defeated Cartagonova 4-3 in extra time in last season’s final after Cartagonova led 3-1 mid-way through the second half. Barcelona easily defeated Burgos 3-0 while Cartagonova came from behind to take Sporting Gijón 2-1.â€

That’s absolutely fantastic, that is. icon_mad.gif Looks like I’ll be able to concentrate on our other campaigns a lot sooner than I expected.

In better news, I announce to the media that we will sign former Italian international, Simone Inzaghi, from Lazio on the 1st of July 2005. The 28 year old striker has fallen out over a contractual dispute with Lazio and I swooped upon him before they could reconcile their differences. Prior to this season, he had scored at least ten goals in the Serie A three seasons in a row, so he should be a good addition to the squad.

Dixie Flatline

A very quick update

9th of January 2005

Primera Liga - Game 18: Cartagonova v Athletic Bilbao

It’s going to be a tough match to take three points out of this time around, with Athletic Bilbao riding high in third position before we kick off. I make a couple of changes to the team that drew with Espanyol, with Redondo rushing straight back into the side while the fans are surprised to see Ballesteros back in favour - he slots in at centre-half. We should have a goal after 5 minutes when Couto’s headed cross is headed powerfully by Kokmeijer, but wide of the target. We’re given a break when dangerous striker Jorge Barbarin is forced off the field with an injury, although Vidal does well to push away a free kick a minute later. Nine minutes before the break, we open the scoring when Morán threads the ball through to Kokmeijer and the Dutch striker fires home a brilliantly executed shot! icon_biggrin.gif Two minutes before the break we extend our lead when Morán crosses into the box looking for Redondo and from five yards out he makes no mistake! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gif The crowd cheers that goal long and lustily as the favourite son equalises Stan Collymore’s league record goals of 54 goals. It’s been a long time coming, but I caution the players not to get carried away with the euphoria in the second half.

My words of caution seem to go unheeded when Karanka’s free kick on 74 minutes finds the unmarked Jorge Pérez and the midfielder gleefully halves our lead. icon_mad.gif Ten minutes later, he again breaks from deep and causes my defence all sorts of problems but fortunately his drive rockets into the post and goes wide. I try to burn up a few minutes by swapping Redondo and Rufete for Esposito and Vucko but we’re indebted in the end to Vidal who pulls off a string of stunning saves to deny Athletic an equaliser deep into injury time. Corner after corner sees Athletic Bilbao players test the young keeper but his superb reflexes and agility allow him to push away each shot. Still, it’s a relief when the final whistle is blown and we can put the three points in the bag.

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Michel, Couto ©, Rufete (Vucko 91); Morán; Redondo (Esposito 91), Kokmeijer.

Athletic Bilbao (5-2-1-2): Imanol Etxeberría; Lambea, Karanka, Roberto Ríos, Larraínzar, Óskar Vales (Solaun 31); Felipe, Jorge Pérez; Joseba Etxeberría ©; Barbarin (Kaiku 24), Arteaga.

Final score: Cartagonova 2:1 Athletic Bilbao

MoM - José María Lacruz

“… Cartagonova supporters are stunned this evening when news was leaked from within the club’s higher echelons that captain, Fernando Couto, has asked for a transfer on the basis that he needs a new challenge in his career. The 35 year old Portuguese international has captained the club for the last two seasons and is the league appearance record holder. It is not known whether boss, Señor Dixie Flatline, has granted the transfer request tonight, but we will continue to follow this sensational story as it develops over the next few days. Turning to other matters in football…â€

I still need Fernando and I turn the request down, but the Portuguese player isn’t happy with that and asks again. I again refuse his request, but he is now very unhappy and I’m sure that will do nothing for the morale of other players at the club. I guess I should transfer list him, but I don’t want to lose the biggest influence on the club’s playing personnel and I think that his cover, Kevin Gibbens and Francisco Ãlvarez, aren’t ready to take over his demanding position. It also has the effect of strengthening the board against him and therefore me as I continue to defend him against their efforts to have him excised out of the squad. icon_frown.gif Ahead of a huge clash with Barcelona, this is precisely what I don’t need.

10th of January 2005

I have a much better job to attend to when several Dutch papers contact me about reports emanating from Amsterdam that Niels Kokmeijer will soon be called up to the Netherlands’ senior squad after his rich vein of scoring. I of course, add my voice to the chorus calling upon Louis van Gaal to select the striker in his next squad. In a private meeting, the striker thanks me for my words.

12th of January 2005

Copa del Rey - Third Round, First Leg: Cartagonova v Barcelona

“…Welcome to the Estádio Municipál de Cartagena where this evening we bring to you what promises to be a fantastic match between the host, Cartagonova, and its opponent, the current holder of the Copa del Rey, Barcelona. These two clubs slugged it out in an unforgettable match in front of 75,000 people in the final of the competition last season as Barcelona broke the hearts of all Cartagonova supporters and indeed most neutral Spanish fans by coming back from 3-1 down to win 4-3 in extra-time. This adds an element of revenge for most Cartagonova supporters and I’m sure they will be willing their players to dispose of Barcelona in the first leg to set up an easy path through to the quarter-finals. Add to this the sensational development over the weekend that Cartagonova’s captain, Fernando Couto, has asked for and been denied a transfer, and you’ll get a match that’s worth staying up for…â€

Indeed it turns out to be another cracking match. After his histrionics over the weekend, I drop Couto completely (well, I actually rest him because he is rather tired), while Redondo who was rushed back from injury is rested to recover from his injuries. That gives George Clegg the job to do at the pointy end of our formation. Things start wonderfully well for us when Davids’ block on Kokmeijer sees the ball roll to the feet of Pablo Box and he thunders a low drive into the bottom of the net! icon_biggrin.gif But Barcelona’s captain for the day, Juan Verón, replies for his club on 27 minutes, picking up Davids’ pass and splitting our defence with his strong run. But we manage to make it to the break on level terms, despite the fact that Alfonso tries to defeat Vidal with a strong shot.

After the break, Morán again puts us back in the lead when he takes Kokmeijer’s lovely pass before slaloming past Astudillo and ramming a drive past Laínez. I decide that the time is ripe to throw Dennis Bergkamp in for his first match of the season and the veteran Dutch striker opens his account with practically his first touch of the football by picking up Miranda’s beautiful pass and launching a rocket into the top corner, just to show that the ‘old man’ still has it! icon_biggrin.gif But we lose sight of Alfonso once too often and he sets up the return leg nicely for our opponents on 74 minutes when he skips through Ballesteros’ weak challenge and hitting a high shot above Vidal’s finger-tips. icon_mad.gif

Cartagonova (4-3-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros, Jaliens; Oliver (Miranda 66), Box, Vucko; Morán; Clegg (Bergkamp 66), Kokmeijer.

Barcelona (4-3-2-1): Laínez; Sergi, Pablo Paz, Abelardo, Thuram (Varela 66); Davids, Astudillo, Gerard; Verón ©, Dani (Rivaldo 55); Alfonso.

Final score: Cartagonova 3:2 Barcelona

MoM - Juan Sebastián Verón

After the match I decide that I don’t really need an unhappy Couto who will do nothing to help us, so I put him officially on the transfer list. There’s no sign of his mood brightening, but there are some interest from a couple of Japanese clubs.

16th of January 2005

The Spanish transfer deadline passes for the second and final time this season, so let’s take a look once more at the players I signed for the club in the one month the window was open:

Axel Wingård (23 y/o, SWE, D C): As I remarked above, I think that the Swedish defender could be a powerful player in the future and more than justify his comparatively small transfer fee of £450,000. Yet to play a game for the club, but I’m sure that he will play plenty over the next few seasons. I’m very happy to have him at the club and if he can learn the language quickly enough, he will get plenty of time on the pitch.

Gavião (24 y/o, BRA, DM C): Signed for free from Grémio, he comes into the club because I think that Kevin Gibbens and Francisco Ãlvarez aren’t ready to step up to replace Fernando Couto if the big Portuguese player has indeed played his last game for Cartagonova. I agonised over whether I should take the Brazilian instead of Gonzalo Colsa, with whom I’d agreed personal terms with just hours before. But Gavião looks like a very polished player and when he learns Spanish, he will be a very influential player. His only problem is a lack of pace, but we can tailor our game plan to accommodate that, I’m sure. I look forward to working with him.

George Clegg (24 y/o, ENG, AM/F RC): 2(2) apps, 1 goal, av. rate: 6.75: Hasn’t yet really shown us the talent that I see in him every afternoon on the training pitch. Began well on his debut, but playing him off the bench gives him only a limited time to impress. Did well against Barcelona, though, until I substituted him. He has some way to go to force his way into the first eleven on a full-time basis and will have even more competition from next season, but I think that he will be a good bet to pay off his rather substantial transfer fee of £2.5 million.

Dixie Flatline

Primera Liga - Game 19: Deportivo La Coruña v Cartagonova

With Fernando Couto now on the outer, I rush my new defensive midfielder Gavião into the starting eleven, while Axel Wingård replaces Juan Carlos Castro on the bench. I also switch back to the regulars, so Michel and Redondo return to the first eleven, but Vucko keeps out Rufete. We get an early inkling of what’s coming our way when Mullor escapes my defence to test Vidal after just 120 seconds of football. On 11 minutes, Turu Flores hits a shot over the bar while Redondo returns the compliment, hitting Morán’s pass well over the crossbar. Vidal then beats away Mista’s fierce drive a few moments later. On 20 minutes, Deportivo opens the scoring when David Cano’s pass is taken by full back Washington Tais who turns Lacruz inside out before smashing a shot across the bows of Vidal’s goal into the top corner. Redondo almost brings us level when he runs into the box with the ball at his feet but Molina is equal to the task. icon_frown.gif Just after the half-hour mark, Deportivo extends its lead when Tais sets up Turu Flores and the veteran striker heads home his first goal of the game. Eight minutes later, he has his second as my defence falls apart allowing him a run and shot on goal. icon_mad.gif

I launch a rocket around the changing rooms at the break, hoping that it will spur the players into some type of response. My defence has been cut apart in the second half and I feel it’s time to throw Axel Wingård into the deep end - he replaces the poor Ballesteros. On 58 minutes, I then take off the ineffective Michel and the diabolical Jaliens and go to a 3-3-1-2 formation, looking for a miracle. We win a corner, and Morán’s floated cross is headed powerfully home by debutant Gavião to breathe some life back into the contest. But that slight breeze is immediately snuffed out when Turu Flores converts a soft free kick from 20 yards to complete his hat-trick. icon_mad.gificon_eek.gificon_frown.gif The ultra-attacking formation puts some pressure on the under-exercised Deportivo defence in the final few minutes, but we have absolutely no chance of getting back into this game.

I’m furious.

I curtly shake the hand of my Deportivo counterpart before stalking back into the dressing rooms, ready with a tongue-lashing for each player as they walk through the door. The rant lasts all the way back to the bus taking us back to Cartagena.

Deportivo La Coruña (4-1-3-2): Molina; Arruabarrena (Aranzábal 66), Amaya (Godino 71), Naybet ©, Tais; David Cano; Mullor, Di Lorenzo (Boris 71), Valerón; Mista, Turu Flores.

Cartagonova (4-1-2-1-2): Vidal ©; Lacruz, Ãlvarez, Ballesteros (WingÃ¥rd 46), Jaliens (Esposito 58); Gavião; Michel (Miranda 58), Vucko; Morán; Redondo, Kokmeijer.

Final score: Deportivo La Coruña 4:1 Cartagonova

MoM - Mista

Archived