[FM19] Not Another Rothosen Thread: Rebuilding The Fallen Giant

JD nawrat

hamburger-sv-png-hamburger-sv-vector-log

A club that needs little introduction, but one that I'll give anyway. Hamburger SV, founded in 1887, are a professional football club based in Hamburg, Germany. Considered the biggest team in the north of Germany by many, they boasted the distinction of being the only club to have played in every season of the Bundesliga, until their somewhat inevitable relegation in 2018. Having flirted with the idea of relegation in the years prior, the mess behind the scenes at HSV would eventually take hold of the club and see the unthinkable happen.

Now in the 2.Bundesliga for the first time in their history, the culture at Hamburg needs to change. Someone needs to come in and manage the club back to where it belongs at the top of the pile. With six top flight titles to their name, Hamburg are the 5th most successful team in Germany. They are also one of few teams within the nation to have a European Cup to their name, having achieved so in 1983. European success is in the club's blood, as they also won the European Cup Winner's Cup in 1977. Without a doubt, HSV are one of the biggest clubs football has ever seen historically, and yet they languish down in the second tier due to mismanagement at all levels over many years. Time to rebuild the giant. 

Introducing... Jürgen Dressler

55934225b351ee2bd26ee21aeaba5c7c.png

I've gone with my real DOB and based experience and coaching level on the game's suggestion (early retirement at 25 :thup::D). 

I post this thread at the end of August (wanted the TW finished before I started this thread). Here's a quick catch up.

Transfers - Hamburg are in serious debt. There's little money around and that's been the case for a while. They are a wealthy club but they need consistent income in order to live with the debts. What I'm basically saying is, they've given me nothing. No extra wages, no extra budget. Unlike my brief beta save with Hamburg, I did get immediate interest in my players. Well, two. Douglas Santos and Gotoku Sakai. The first went to Marseille for 7M, plus some future fees based on appearances and then a nice 20% of future profits coming to us too. We can potentially make 9.5M from this deal, plus whatever profits we may get too. Good deal. I didn't get any offers for Sakai, despite interest from Burnley and Newcastle. Pleased not to let him go, as he is versatile if not first choice material for me. To replace Douglas Santos I brought in Birger Meling from Rosenborg for 2M, saving us 30k wages at the same time. Good business all round.

Tactics - I originally started with an idea that would see us play a form of Gegenpressing - I have managed the last few FMs by building a side focussed on a high press and just getting the ball in the net by whatever means. Possession is secondary to me. So there's a lot of familiarities between my ideas and the Gegenpress, so that would be my starting point. The tactic has gone through a few iterations now (in its 4th, based on the beta - I've just taken the same tactics and applied them from the start), but I'm very happy with where the tactic is at for this level. 

9ad000359876bf0afbf671eccacd1138.png

I have to be honest - the new tactics presets kind of put me off so I started with a Custom Clean Slate but after a month or so I felt I wasn't really getting the Out of Possession part right, so I switched to the Gegenpress (keeping my own roles and formation etc) and ended up with what you see. It works for me... Not sure how much the roles actually represent the Gegenpress :D But like I say, I don't want to play that anyway. I just share the same idea of winning the ball back as quickly as possible. I don't want us counter attacking when we win the ball, I like to be a bit more considered going forward. But this represents what we want to do as the top team in the division. When we get promoted, I will no doubt have to change the tactics slightly to cope with the better opposition.

Results - As I said before I am at the end of August so I've only a few games to report on. 

0b774e7af5834551c9783969ce7768a1.png

The great news is, we're undefeated! The bad news is... well, there's really nothing bad right now. Only team yet to concede, not exactly banging goals in for fun yet but it's early days and we've scored in every game. Nothing bad to report, other than Matti Steinmann doing himself for 4 months with a torn harmstring. Only blip of the season so far.

0c9b1b3d16d991bceb24de39f2438dc6.png

Bit early to be talking of title races but I figure we will do well - my beta team was unbeaten in 20 games at the start of January, top of the league and in the Pokal Quarters. This team should be doing just about the same hopefully. Early signs are good. I suspect/hope we will remain at the top end of the table for much of the season.

I usually update my FMCU threads on a month-to-month basis, but I may go with every couple of months just for the sake of getting bigger updates out and not having to stop in-game every month to update. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and I hope you stick around for the journey :cool: I'll round the post off with my personal targets for the save/thread, which I always like to have:

- Defeat St. Pauli in the Hamburger Derby -
- Defeat Werder Bremen in the Nord-Derby -
- Defeat Bayern Munchen in the Nord-Sud Derby -
- Gain Promotion from the 2.Bundesliga -
- Earn European Football through Bundesliga finish -
- Win the DFB-Pokal -
- Win the Bundesliga -
- Win a European Trophy -

- Establish Hamburg as a major force in Germany -
- Establish Hamburg as a major force in Europe -

Archived