Axis v Allies: Trump Policy in Football (experiment)

copperhorse21

AXIS v ALLIES (Political Protectionism Personified)

Upon hearing the inaugural address of the United States' 45th President, I was curious about one aspect of Trump's speech more than the others.  When the business mogul promised that in all future political matters, "America First" would be THE foundation when conducting future political business in every aspect of government concerning other nations, I became very concerned.

This policy is known as protectionism and I wondered what it might look like in the world of football according to FM 08.

I chose managers with identical birth dates and reputations (international).  I also chose two football clubs: Sunderland in England and Frankfurt in Germany.  Both clubs were outside the top 5 financially within their nations, were not involved in European competitions, and had similar sized stadiums.

What might this experiment look like if each of these proud football clubs would adopt the same protectionism policy in regards to their philosophies?

If a manager gets sacked, we move on with another manager with similar attributes.

Rather than a detailed story with extensive writing, this one may be more match report driven.

Please read along with me while I play and see what happens...

Saturday, July 7, 2007:

Frankfurt Chairman Heribert Bruchhagen has welcomed German Germany to become the manager of Frankfurt, more affectionately known as Eintracht.  Germany was given a contract of 325K annually until June 2010 and wants the team to qualify for the EURO Cup through participation in Germany's First Divsion.

Armin Reutershahn, the assistant manager, believes that Frankfurt have a very talented squad of players who should look beyond qualifying for continental competition and aim to challenge for winning the First Division, despite being predicted to finish 13th in the media.

Mehdi Mahdavikia, Iranian Wing Back/Right Midfielder is the best player on the team, and the 29 year old is a new transfer to the club having made 186 appearances for Hamburg in Germany's First Division.

The club's first goal for me is to maintain the minimum expectation of staying clear of relegation this first season.  They provide Germany with 700K and an annual payroll of 16.5M annually.  With the club spending only 12.3M annually, Germany agrees to avoid relegation.

What is most ironic about Frankfurt's ambitions is they have 3 coaches for the first team and 11 scouts as well as 2 part time players, 11 amateur players, and 26 full-time players.

Sunderland Football Club's Chairman, Niall Quinn, has welcomed English England to the Stadium of Light where he wants the team to finish in a respectable position in the Premier Division by the end of the 4 year plan.  England earns 300K annually and the Black Cats are predicted to finish 16th.

According to Tony Loughlan, the Irish Assistant Manager, the squad is capable of finishing in the top half of the English Premier Division.  Though the team is laden with great depth and quality and weakest in defense, the best player is 24 year old Scottish Keeper, Craig Gordon.  Again, Gordon is a recent acquisition of the Black Cats and he's made 138 appearances for Hearts in Scotland's Premier Division.

Again the minimum expectation is to keep the Black Cats clear of relegation from the Premier League.  To support England's effort, Quinn's Board has provided the manager with 500K in a transfer kitty and 13.75M in annual wages.  With the club spending 11.1M in wages currently, England agrees to avoid relegation.

What is most ironic about Sunderland's ambitions is they have 10 coaches, including 2 keeper coaches and 2 fitness coaches.  Additionally, they only have 2 scouts.  They currently have 39 players on full-time contracts and another 22 players on youth contracts.

Let the experiment of the Axis and Allies commence.

I apologize to all who have read this.  I don't think I ever got 62 views following a first post.  I have played a month and it's very frustrating to play both teams simultaneously as well as document all the action going down, especially in narrative form.

I won't be continuing this experiment.  Blame it on being a teacher, blame it on Clash Royale, blame it on enjoying writing fictional narratives better than documenting "nonfiction."

Just don't blame it on Trump.  He can't be blamed for this as he's got much more important matters at hand with which to interfere.

Again, my apologies to all who demonstrated interest in this experiment.

Archived