FM17: Rotherham United Football Club

SpillBlood

Rotherham-united.jpg

Club Information

Founded in 1884, Rotherham United are a football club based in South Yorkshire who play in the Sky Bet Championship. The clubs nickname is The Millers. The current Chairman is the great Tony Stewart who without his support Rotherham could of ceased to of been a club due to financial trouble. They currently play at the New York Stadium which was opened in July 2012 and has the capacity of 12,021. The Stadium cost £20 million to build. The Stadium is set up as this;

North Stand - known as the KCM Recycling Stand for sponsorship reasons, and often referred to as the New Tivoli, is the kop stand of the stadium. The KCM Recycling Stand holds 2000 home fans, and has the lettering of the club's initials—RUFC—in white across it. The stand sits behind one of the goals, opposite the away end.

West Stand - known as the Eric Twigg Pukka Pies Stand for sponsorship reasons, is the main stand of the stadium. It features the executive 1925 Lounge, and also the stand where the players walk under when entering the field of play. It holds 4000 home fans.

East Stand - East Stand, known as the Ben Bennett Stand, is the family stand of the stadium. It holds 4000 home fans, as well as two built-in balcony-type structures for disabled people.

South Stand- South Stand, known as the Morrison Stand, is a 2000 seated away stand. It sits behind a goal, with the family stand to the right, main stand to the left, and the kop directly opposite.

Fibresand-pitch-at-Rotherham-United.jpg

30452279a5264d39ec3f2f724cf9dfa1.png

a84925e7b86fb047fa9b320712afd207.png

Realistically your goal in the first season is to avoid relegation, the setup as follows.

e81fd601211924650b0486040345fccb.png

The Staff

1ea5a8d0dc1ac6acbf71de68b1598559.png

There's more backroom staff then last season but the club is lacking scouts since Gee Evans departure.   I'd look to bring in Derek Langley to fill this position.  Alot of teams try to poach U18 Physio Adrian Littlejohn so it might be worth looking elsewhere.  For this I found a physio happy to sign for the U18s in Becky Dunphy. There are others but she's a cheap wage and not alot will come to be apart of the youth setup.

You will be carrying on the job that Warnock left at the end of last season.  You have a different squad(mostly) that Alan Stubbs has made.  Can you bring any success with it?

The Squad

95fc1c2a96216e3b6fb48654005de753.pngu

Goalkeepers

First Choice: Lee Camp

Backup: Lewis Price.

Rating: 5/5

My opinion:  For a relegation battle you can't ask for much more.  You have a solid goalkeeper in Camp who be relied upon and Price is pretty good for a backup who could push for Camps jersey if he is out of form.

Defenders

First Choice: Mattock - Fry - Broadfoot - Fisher.

Backup: Belaid - Wilson - Ball - Halford

Rating: 4/5

My opinion: Belaid will be a starter when back but he's injured.  You start with one fit left back so it's a position you could strengthen.  You can play Kelly as backup for Mattock until Belaid is back and fit.  You have three right backs really in Halford(and his long throw), Kelly and Fisher.  I'd choose Fisher to try and get him to fulfill his potentail though Halford is a solid choice.  They're all good enough apart from Wood for a relegation battle and  you have depth.  Just not for the LB slot.

Midfielders

First Choice: Newell - Frecklington - Adeyemi - Taylor.

Backup: Izzy - Vaulks - Forster-Caskey - Forde

Rating: 4/5

My opinion: You have a strong midfield and it's where Stubbs brought in most of his recruits.  You lack another wide player though.  Only Newell is really a left winger and I'd highly suggest Gregory Nelson to play there.  You have a strong midfield option with Halford and Ball able to play backup as a DM to Adeyemi and have options on the right.  I just think the squad lacks the extra wide left player.

Strikers

First Choice: Danny Ward

Backup: Izzy Brown, Dexter Blackstock

Rating: 2/5

My opinion: Weakest area of the squad.  Ward will be first choice but has problems with injury.  Blackstock isn't the best option and is on a 3 year contract and Izzy Brown isn't a natural striker.  For my first season I played with one uptop due to the strength in midfield but it's an area where Rotherham are lacking.  In real life we've just signed Peter Odemwingie and in game that would be brilliant for us but it's where we lack and need an extra man.

Overall opinion: There is a core for a season even if some are ageing players.  We have a stronger defense and midfield this season we just need those players to perform.  In real life at the moment of this post Kenny Jackett has just taken charge after Stubbs had 6 points after 13 games.  Can you get the lads to perform better than Stubbs could?  Frecklington is always key for me and he should always be starting.  You have Smallwood and Thorpe out on loan and I'd highly suggest keeping Smallwood as he'll be the type of player you want for season 2.

The Tactic

I won't be posting any pictures but any formation that has a 3 man midfield, two wingers and a striker will help play to Rotherhams strengths.

364d8d3fbc7516b2bb9f8872dd6df700.png

The Bank

3885369a9d4750fa8185f9892be19a60.png

Season one will be a struggle in terms of having a positive balance.  When you hit Season 2 you should make enough cash from staying in the Championship to start bringing in some new players to build a core for the future.  I'd suggest trying to find a parent club to bring in some money and free loans in positions you need.  My board couldn't find me a parent club but if could be different for you.

Career threads

Rotherham have had a popular following so far over in the FM Career Update forum and here are some of the threads:

Jupjamies Rotherham Thread

johnstonpickles Rotherham Thread

SpillBloods Rotherham Thread

What's interesting is we're all using different saves and bringing in different players so if you're interested in making a Rotherham save then here's some options for you to check out.  Johnstonpickle is using wingbacks for instance and it's working well for him.  If you make a Rotherham thread let me know and I can add it to the list.

Cheers for reading and I hope you try a save with The Millers.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived