I need to PP ! PP-70 that is.

chesterfan2

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WeWillAlwaysBe... After what I said about your story this is quite positive. Cheers. I think we come at this game from different perspectives and I should leave you to your way of telling stories.

united_forever, glad to see you're still enjoying the story. I think the inclusion of the World Cup is possibly a mistake but the idea of Tristan as an England fan abroad was a bit too tempting.

And a game Away at SalPa

League action fell in the middle of the next round of World Cup Games, so I’ll summarise those in a moment for you as I kind of had this game to think about. Away at SalPa, new in the league this season they had started well but had faded a little in recent games. Juha Lund thinks them a capable side, which is at least one step down from his usual level of appreciation for our opponents. But he does say thety have a potent and pacy attacking line. SalPa rate as slight favourites for this game, but there’s not much in it.

Nic Haggblom comes in at left back for the injured Timo Etelamaki, but otherwise we remain unchanged. The game started with SalPa in the ascendancy as the put our defence under pressure but they were caught out on 15 minutes as they committed too many men forward at a corner which when hoofed away found Sergiy Panchenko with a single man to beat, which he did, 40 yards to run into, which he did, and an 18 yard drive as the keeper advanced to complete, which he did. 1-0 to PP-70. However SalPa were not to be deterred and kept the pressure up. They were rewarded on 35 minutes when they also broke clear of a thinly manned defence and scored with a chip as Peltonen advanced , a fine equaliser.

It remained 1-1 until half time. I gave the lads some encouragement and made a couple of minor tactical adjustments, but essentially let them get out there and show me how they could respond to this challenge. The start of the second period was scrappy, with neither side getting much in the way of chances. The cookie crumbled our way on 57 minutes as after a bout of head tennis in the centre of the park the ball broke to Panchenko, getting in front of his marker, taking the ball on and scoring with an angled drive. On 82 minutes we had the chance to extend the lead as Panchenko raced clear again, but instead of shooting from the angled he pulled the ball back where it was handled by the only SalPa defender in the vicinity. Now in my book that’s a straight red, but the referee didn’t even caution the lad and to make matters worse Valkeapaa missed the penalty. Fuming ? was I ? Yes. I reacted by changing things about a bit. Haggblom had looked uneasy all game to I swapped Pasanen to left back and brought Sivohnen on at right back. I also brought on the now nearly fit again Mikkola for Eranen who wasn’t having his best game for the club. SalPa opted for the kitchen sink approach at this point and though we barely held on, we did hold on for three points. In the wind down chat I warned the team to guard against complacency in future matches, but on the whole I was pleased, it was three points after all.

Final Score SalPa 1-2 PP-70

A hard fought victory that we perhaps made harder than it needed to be.

Current League Position: 2nd

World Cup News

In the final round of group matches the following results took place:

Group A

Canada 0 – 0 Brazil

Ireland 5 -1 Togo

Brazil and Ireland qualify. Canada unlucky to be going home after that performance.

Group B

Holland 2 – 1 Mexico

South Africa 0 – 2 Germany

Hosts Germany and neighbours Holland through here.

Group C

Croatia 2 – 0 Nigeria

Saudi Arabia 1-3 Czech Republic

Croatia top the group, Nigeria come second.

Group D

Ivory Coast 2 – 0 Ukraine

Jamaica 0 - 2 Portugal

Portugal and Ivory Coast are through.

Group E

Colombia 2 – 0 Japan

Turkey 2 -2 England

Turkey top the group whilst England squeak home with two draws and a win.

Group F

Iran 0 -2 Argentina

Italy 2- 0 Australia

The obvious candidates from this group Italy and Argentina progress.

Group G

France 1 – 0 USA

Serbia & Montenegro 0 – 1 Tunisia

France and USA, who just edge out Tunisia

Group H

South Korea 4 -1 Ecuador

Spain 4 – 2 Sweden

All decided already here as Spain and Sweden progress.

Back to the game where this all really started for me.

P-Iirlot at home. It was the away fixture against this team that really sparked last season to life. Coming from 2-1 down to win 3-2 was a phenomenal effort from the lads and was the beginning of us believing in ourselves. Their manager chose to get into a war of words with me and ever since that he’s not liked me much. Still haven’t heard much from him this time round. Still Juha Lund thinks this year’s P-Iirot is another capable side with a quick attack. They lie 7th in the division at this time. We are made the narrow favourites for this one as we are at home. Mikkola is fit again, but I can’t drop Panchenko after the last game. Sivohenen gets the nod over Haggblom with Pasanen shifting across.

The first half was all us really, but a combination of good goalkeeping and bad shooting kept the score at 0-0. Not quite sure how but we reached half time like that. Time for another ‘Escape To Victory’ moment ‘We can win this’.

Into the second period and it appeared initially to be going much the way of the first. But on the hour we broke through a deep cross from Olikainen was headed home at the far stick by Panchenko. 1-0. No more than we deserved. However within 60 seconds they were level. There is no justice, especially when it was via a Timo Valkeapaa own goal. Try as we might we couldn’t score again and it finished 1-1.

Final Score PP-70 1-1 P-Iirot

Daylight robbery

Current League Position : 2nd

And into the second round – the knockout phase

Holland 0 -1 Brazil

The Dutch had by far the best chances in this one but run out losers to a single Adriano goal just after the break.

Ireland 0-1e Germany

The hosts squeak through after extra time following a valiant rearguard action by the Irish. Marco Stark got the goal six minutes into extra time.

Nigeria 0 -1 Portugal

Shows what kind of a pundit I’d make. Deco with the early and only goal.

Ivory Coast 0 -2 Croatia

Two goals in the first period enough to see the Croats through to the next round.

England 2-0 Italy

The English triumph in Dortmund. A goal in each half from Beckham and Vassell were enough to dispatch the Azzuri out of the competition.

Argentina 0-0p Turkey

Possibly the shock result so far. Despite topping their group nobody expected the Turks to knock out the Argentines, but that’s exactly what they did in a penalty shot out after a tense, dour goalless draw.

USA 1-2e Spain

The Spanish prevail with an extra time winner from David Albelda. The Americans had cancleed out Fernando Torres’s 14th minute opener with a ninetieth minute Jonathon Spector goal.

Sweden 1-1p France

The French needed penalties to be separated from the Swedes in this close encounter.

All through this time I was spending too much time watching the World Cup, drinking beer with James Kifer. Not spending enough time with Kaija.

Nor at the team ? Was the draw with P-Iirlot down to me not putting enough effort preparing the players ? It was something I needed to seriously examine.

You come here and say that !

During the week young Nic Haggblom, possibly upset at being dropped for the last game has gone to Aamulehti and blabbed about deserving first team football and how I'd have to play him on a regular basis of I wanted to keep him at PP-70.

I know the lad is ambitious but that didn't stop me telling Dag Hammerfest when he came asking that it was me who chose the team and I'd pick him when I wanted to. This was, of course printed up in teh following days paper with the right amount of vitriol and sure enough before I'd been in the office ten minutes that afternoon I had a knock on the door and a sheepish looking Nic Haggblom standing in front of me.

Nic Haggblom : "Sorry boss"

Tristan Langley "No worries, Nic, now bugger off outside and get training with the rest of the lads"

Problem sorted.

What, another game?

I’d taken my eye off the ball a bit during the World Cup so far but I was determined not to do so any more. Today we were faced with an away game at KPV who lie 10th but are on the back of a four game unbeaten run, so are no pushovers, indeed the bookies make them narrow favourites. Juha Lund looks on them less favourably. They are in his eyes only ‘competent’ but they do have pace in the attack which can always be a problem. Etelemaki has resumed training, but has only done so that morning, so I didn’t even consider him for selection for this game. But, perversely I did give Nic Haggblom a game. I didn’t want to, but Ville Sivohnen was looking a little tired after the last game and so I bit the bullet and made the change. I made no other changes.

The game was for a long time one way traffic against us. I had no idea why this should be as we hadn’t changed tactics from the last game, we weren’t jaded and we weren’t on any sort of run of bad form. Still it was no surprise when KPV scored on 35 minutes. We came back into a little after that but were frankly fortunate to equalise with the last kick of the half, Eranen tucking the ball home for his tenth goal of the season. I gave the lads some encouragement at the half and asked them to play more defensively.

The strategy didn’t seem to have much effect as KPV kept up the pressure without being able to apply the finishing touch. On the hour I made a change taking off Olikainen and bringing on the young Swede Carlsson. Sivohnen also came on for Haggblom, no change there then. We kept soaking it up and got our reward on 80 minutes when Pasanen won the ball on the half way line, raced down the left flank, cut in and despatched the ball into the net from the angle of the box, a truly stunning goal, a fantastic individual effort. KPV did their best after that blow, but never came close to getting an equaliser and the game finished 2-1 to us.

Final Score KPV 1-2 PP-70

A hard earned win. Play poorly and still win, isn’t that a good trait to have as a football team ?

The Quarter finals

Over the course of the next week I worked, Took training at the club and in the evenings watched highlights of the World Cup Quarter finals over at Kaija’s apartment.

On the Friday there were a couple of games, hosts Germany dispatched Croatia from the competition 2-0 with goals from Heinrich and Stark and in the other a real surprise as Brazil draw 1-1 with Portugal, goals from Oliveria for Brazil and Pauleta for Portugal, the Portuguese playing with ten men since the 5th minute when Viana got sent off, and then the holders, Brazil are eliminated in a penalty shoot out.

Saturday was the day before a game (against VG-62), but was also when England were playing France in the World Cup quarter final. So we did go to the pub for that one. England won in style, 2-0, with two first half goals from Vassell and a Gareth Barry penalty. We didn’t however, stay for the last quarter final where Spain knocked out Turkey by a single goal scored by Valencia’s David Villa. So Germany, Portugal, England and Spain make up the quartet of semi-finalists. Interetsting.

Back at the office it was month end and news of the monthly awards came through. It was a PP-70 fest. I won the manager of the month award, which was nice. Kotilahti was named player of the month and Pasanen’s goal against KPV was named goal of the month (see, I told you it was good). In addition to that Pasanen was named second in the player of the month award. Great stuff from the lads and recognition of our hard work and good form.

And here your game becomes unrealistic for the first time icon_wink.gif

I think none of those four teams will make it to the semi's this year. England has no goalkeeper, Portugal and Spain lack determination, Germany has no defense and not one striker who is in form right now icon_wink.gif

Anyway, I'm off to Italy now. Return in two weeks or so icon_wink.gif

Maybe you are promoted when I come back?

At home with VG-62

The following day was the league game, at home, with VG-62. Juha Lund says this lot are strong and creative, they lie 8th in the division. We’re made 5-4 favourites for the game, VG-62 are 7-4 and the draw is 11-5. Timo Etelemaki returned for this one, an injured Pasanen sitting this one out and I brought Mikkola back in ahead of Panchenko

VG-62 scored within three minutes, though the goal did look suspiciously offside to me. And got another on 8 minutes. Both goals where our attacks broke down and a long ball over the top finds their man running on to score. We scrapped and got one back on 14 minutes via the clinical finishing of Ernanen. We were level on 33 minutes as Sihvonen set up Kotilahti down the right and his cross from the byline was headed home by Lehtonen.

2-2 at half time and only some warm words to say really. VG-62 started brighter on the second half and got a third on 56 minutes as a rasping free kick with dispatched home from 30 yards out. I brought on Nielsen for Uoti and sent out instructions to play a more attacking game. And we tried and we tried but we couldn’t breakthrough and the curse of the Manager of the month strikes again.

Final Score PP-70 2-3 VG-62

A bad result, and a bad performance

Current League Position : Still 2nd, just

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And here your game becomes unrealistic for the first time

I think none of those four teams will make it to the semi's this year. England has no goalkeeper, Portugal and Spain lack determination, Germany has no defense and not one striker who is in form right now

Anyway, I'm off to Italy now. Return in two weeks or so

Maybe you are promoted when I come back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off to do a bit of research for your story Loeffle ?

I think you are right, sad to say, about the world cup teams, though Portugal may surprise some people. But no, I don't rate England's chances, though I'd love to be wrong, obviously. And also Germany in FM are represented by madeup 'grey' players and are perhaps better than they are in reality as a result of it.

Anyway whyever you are going to Italy, have a good and productive (if that's what you want it to be) time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And here your game becomes unrealistic for the first time

I think none of those four teams will make it to the semi's this year. England has no goalkeeper, Portugal and Spain lack determination, Germany has no defense and not one striker who is in form right now

Anyway, I'm off to Italy now. Return in two weeks or so

Maybe you are promoted when I come back? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Off to do a bit of research for your story Loeffle ?

I think you are right, sad to say, about the world cup teams, though Portugal may surprise some people. But no, I don't rate England's chances, though I'd love to be wrong, obviously. And also Germany in FM are represented by madeup 'grey' players and are perhaps better than they are in reality as a result of it.

Anyway whyever you are going to Italy, have a good and productive (if that's what you want it to be) time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well well FM isnt so realistic when it comes to UK teams I guess icon_wink.gif But no problem ...

I stay one week in Sorrento, then two days in Roma, one day on the Adriatic coast, two days in Vicenza and two in Pavia, before taking the train back to the Black Forest.

I checked connections to Melfi, but its just a bit too far for a one day trip ...

Sadly Sorrento plays on the road when I arrive on Sunday, and I'm not really interested in seeing Roma or Lazio playing.

World cup semi finals

We had the whjole week to plan for the next league game and during that time I caucght both World Cup semis at Kaija's place, which was rapidly becoming somewhere I felt very at home at.

Anyway first up on the Tuesday was England against Portugal. We got a few beers and a pizza in and settled down to watch the Three Lions progress. It was, sadly, not to be as Quersma, the Porto winger scored for the Portuguese after only 6 minutes. England therefater had the majority of possession and chances but could not convert any of them. The game finished England 0-1 Portugal . At least we had some Pepperoni pizza left.

The following night Spain eliminated the hosts Germany in a firey encounter. The Germans took the lead in the first half, bit this was to be no guide for how the game would turn out in the second period. Midway through the second half Spain scored twice in four minutes, Angulo(76) and Xavi(80) the scorers, as Germany had two players sent off and Spain one. Shameful scenes but now the final line-up was set.

Another weekend another League Game

This time against AC Oulu, at home. Juha Lund thinks they are a capable side and have a quick attacker or two. The bookies make AC Oulu favourites for the game despite our respective league positions

But it seems the bookies were right and I was wrong. I don’t want to go into much detail here but it’s sufficient to say that we were poor, we lacked invention or finishing skills today and we paid the price for it. AC Oulu scored just the one goal, on the stroke of half time but once that had gone in there was no way back for us.

Final Score : PP_70 0-1 AC Oulu

Dire. Hopefully not the start of a slump

Meanwhile in the World Cup. Portugal won the final, beating Spain 1-0 with an extra time goal by Costa. It was a very close fought thing but at the end of the day the best team won the tournament. England won the third place play off. In the aftermath of the tournament a bunch of international managers were sacked. France, Italy and Holland to name but three.

An away day with an MP

An away game at MP actually. We lie 2nd, they lie 4th so this isn’t going to be easy by any means. The bookies make them slight favourites but that’s home advantage for you. Juha Lund thinks them competent with a quick attack and a strong midfield. I wonder what their scout says about us ?

MP started well, and put us under pressure from the off. I thought we would be o.k. if we could hold them off for the first 15 or so minutes but we only got as far as 12. We failed to clear a cross properly and the loose ball was dispatched home from 15 yards out. We went more on the defensive after this point and began to get a little joy out of the MP back line. We hit and equaliser from the penalty spot on 25 minutes after a reckless challenge on Ernane had been spotted by the ref . Valkeapaa making no mistake with the spot kick. MP reasserted their lead on 39 when a free kick was taken quickly, our defenders were caught napping and the MP striker was allowed time and space to score from 18 yards out.

I laid into them again at half time and got the kind of response I’d hoped for when we got a second equaliser on 50 minutes, Kotilahti the scorer, knocking home an Olikainen cross at the far post. MP got back into the game, got a penalty on 64, failed to score but knocked the ball in at the second rebound. To my mind he was offside, and it wasn’t a penalty in the first place. Only 5 minutes later and we were level again as Mikkola headed home a Lehtonen free kick. We pushed on after that and in the 86th minute took the lead for the first time. Sivohnen, raiding down the right flank as he had done so successfully all night put in a deep cross to find Ollikainen at the far post, ha took the ball past his man and slotted it inside the post for a 4-3 lead. We shut up shop after that and MP, their heads down by this point, had no answer.

Final score MP 3-4 PP-70

Just like last season’s game at P-Iirot, this one could be the game that sets the mark on the season

Current league position : 2nd.

Cheers, united_forever, your continuing support is very much appreciated. Your story is also shaping up very nicely. It makes a very good read.

Where to now ?

The morning after the MP game I sat in my office (it was a Saturday so no work at Nokia for me that day) and I pondered what to do next. I was really proud of the way the lads has battled for the victory the previous night. They had showed the kind of grit and determination that I wanted to see from them and in a very real sense they had shown a level of skill in attack that could take them very close to the top of this table by the end of it.

The thing was that if we could step on from that game and get something from the next one, and start another good run then we would be set fair for the season. The trouble with that was that we had let three goals in yesterday and lost the two games before that. The tatctical solution that had worked well for a long time for us was beginning to be worked out by the other teams.

Logic told me to alter the formation. How was one question I didn't at that time have an answer to. Another issue was the fact that in 2 more days we had another game, this time with league leaders MIFK. They also had not been having the best run recently and if we could beat them then we would go top. Something told me that to change formation now wouldn't give the lads much of a chance in that game. But something else told me that if we stayed as we were then the defensive frailties displayed in the previous three games would be multiplied by the presence of the league leaders and that might not give us much of a chance either.

There were as the song says, more questions than answers. I thought long and hard about what to do. Then I phoned Kaija and asked her if she fancied talking over the game with MIFK with me (it wouldn't have been fair not to warn her that I intended to use her in her professional capacity as the PP-70 manager's guru) and she suggested we meet down on the lake front. It was a good idea, so I stepepd out of the office, popped into the shop for a loaf of bread (to feed the ducks) and headed down to the lake.

Top of the table

The meeting with Kaija had, of course, been pleasant but I still hadn’t decided on how to change the formation ahead of this game against league leaders MIFK. So the only option would be to leave it as it is for one more game and then think on an adjustment. Juha Lund doesn’t rate MIFK as highly as he does some other teams calling them determined and with a strong midfield but a bit lightweight up front. Not very good in the air was his quote. The bookies made them 4-6 on favourites for this game, well they were at home, we are 7-2 with the draw at 9-4.

I did make one change bringing in Hannu Pernu at right back for his first game of the season. Ville Sivohnen the man to drop out. The game itself started off very evenly balanced. I’d sent the side out a bit more defensively minded than usual and for a while it paid off. But as the half wore on MIFK came into it more and it was no surprise when they took the lead on 31, a scrappy goal but one their pressure had created the chance for.

It remained 1-0 at half time and the harsh words needed to be said again. But though we tried hard in the second half it just wouldn’t work for us today and to be honest we were lucky to get away with a single goal defeat from this one.

Final Score MIFK 1-0 PP-70

Unfortunately hardly unexpected

Current League Position: 3rd

Sadly I wasn't expecting this

I went in the following afternoon and worked out some tactical adjustments to try and teach the players that evening at training. As I sat in the small, airless, office the fax machine burbled into life.

What came through was, to put it lightly, was a blow. Tampere Utd had put in an offer for Jakko Pasanen, £160,000 up front with £40,000 more in installments, a 20% sell on clause and a promise of a friendly at our place. It was alot of money for sure, but Pasanen was a key player in our squad. I didn't want to accept it but it was out of my hands as Jakko had a minimum fee release clause that was triggered by the offer.

When Jakko came in for training that evening I told him of the offer. He said he'd like time to think about a move to our bigger neighbours. I had expected that, and completed the formality of faxing back our acceptance of the offer now that I couldn't justify putting it off any longer.

Let’s try to get back on track

Next up a home game against FC Atlamtis. We drew 1-1 at their place earlier in the campaign, a game we should have won. Juha Lund still thinks them to be a competent side with a pacy attack and a creative midfield. Given that, it’s gardly surprising that the bookies had them down as 6-4 favourites, us at 13-8 with the draw at 2-1.

Jakko Pasanen returns after injury for what could very well be his last game as a PP-70 player and I preferred Sergiy Panchenko up front to the out of sorts Harri Mikkola. As for the game and as ever with a formation change and we are a goal down inside three minutes. Laughable defending allowing the Atlantis player a free shot which he didn’t miss. On 12 minutes we were level as the Atlantis keeper made a terrible hash of a routine back pass and left Panchenko with a simple task to put the ball away. The game ebbed and flowed thereafter as both sides strived for the goal that would take them into the lead. Fortunately it was us who got it. Another goalkeeping error allowed a weak Kotilahti shot creep into the net after a goalmouth melee, 38 minutes on the clock. 2-1 at half time.

2-1 at half time and I tell the lads not to get complacent. We do just that, however and sit back initially in the second period. Only the goalkeeping of Peltonen keeps us in front at this stage. I shout at the lads to give it a little more go and we are rewarded with our third goal on 66 minutes, courtesy of a Valkeapaa penalty after Ollikainen had been brought down in the box on full flow. FC Atlantisturned the screw after this and tried very hard to get back into the game, but our defenders stepped up to the plate and performed brilliantly, holding out the visitors with ease and taking us home for what was not as comfortable a win as the scoreline would suggest.

Final Score PP-70 3-1 FC Atlantis

A good win, back on track perhaps ?

Current League Position : back into 2nd, but 5 points behind MIFK

No surprise here then

As expected Jakko Pasanen accpeted the offer to move to Tampere Utd. We wished him well and off he went. We did conclude one bit of incoming business that day when we signed a left winger from non-league FC Panterrit by the name of Anssi Ripatti. He's 23 and a promising player. He's also Hanna's brother. I knew this in advance of course, but he is a good player and besides Hanna and me are still on good terms so this wouldn't cause any problems. At least I didn't think it would.

Cheers Axeman. Will strengthen the squad alright, if any decent players will play for me !

At home to GBK

The games were coming thick and fast at this stage of the season and next up was GBK, perennial strugglers and lying 12th at the time of the game. Juha Lund calls them competent but slow and the bookies have us as 5-4 favourites. Rather a narrow margin that I thought.

Sivohnen stepped in for the now departed Pasanen and new signing Ripatti played for the injured (in training) Ollikainen.

After the opening exchanges we settled into a rhythm of play that GBK struggled to live with, though they manfully tackled back and disrupted our play well. But we did secure the breakthrough on 24 minutes as Eranen latched onto a Panchenko pass and slotted the ball home from just inside the box. Eranane returned the favour for Panchenko on 41 as he drew the keeper and squared the ball across the face of goal for the Ukrainian to pass the ball into the unguarded net

2-0 at half time and GBK came out fighting, creating a series of chances at the start of the second period. They scored a goal on 53 from a header from a corner to get back into the game. We then upped a gear and squandered a really good chance when Eranen and Panchenko between them squandered a two on one break on the hour. A third goal did come, scored by Lehtonen on 71, following up Valkeapaa’s saved penalty and dispatching the ball past the prone netminder for 3-1. The scored stayed that way to the end despite the best efforts of GBK

Final Score PP-70 3-1 GBK

A good home win. Safe, no drama

Current League Position: We stay 2nd but gain on MIFK who could only draw. Meanwhile Honka, 3rd before the start of play, lost

Ah, a representative from the press!

It was no surprise to be buttonholed as I left by local newspaper man Dag Hammerfest. The question was no surprise either as the liaision between myself and local TV weather girl Hanna Ripatti had been well known around these parts (I now kept my current liasion with Kaija much closer to my chest, once bitten twice shy, etc.)

Anyway Hammerfest had thought he'd try me out with the obligatory question:

Dag Hammerfest (DH): "So how did you rate new signing Anssi Ripatti's performance on debut today ?"

Tristan Langley (TL): "Well, Dag, I was happy with the perfomance of both Anssi and the team as a whole. Once Annsi gets more used to the way we play I'm sure he'll be a great asset to the club."

A stock answer to a stock question, Hammerfest is bound to embelish it into something good.

And things, may just have got better !

News from elsewhere on the football wire perked up my interest. Our neighbours Tampere Utd may just have done us a massive favour. They have splashed £10,000 on Antti Kuismala the MIFK goalkeeper. For all I know they may have a very able deputy, but then again it might just be the break we need.

At chez Salonen

Kaija was in playful mood that night. She'd read in the paper the dirtfest that Dag Hammerfest had created from my one single quote (and if you think I'm reprinting it here you have another thing coming) and she (that's Kaija) was going to have a field day with it.

I didn't mind as I knew Kaija well enough by now that I could see that there wasn't any anger behind the pointed remarks just the playful teasing that was the mark of her most loveable side. If she had gone quiet after reading the article, however, I knew I would have been in trouble.

I knew sshe would calm down after a while and she did.

Kaija Salonen (KS): "Seriously, you would have thought Hamemrfest could have come up with something more original that that."

Tristan Langley (TL): "I know."

KS: "Did he really only ask you the one question ?"

TL: "Yes, about Anssi's debut."

KS: "You have to admire that kind of skill that can make a full page spread out of a one line answer. I thought Ripatti played well, by the way."

TL: "Cheers, Kai, He does look a capable back up to Ollikainen"

KS: "That's right. Anyway, let's get more comfortable, you haven't told me about the naked cross country skiing yet."

I told you United_forever that We weren't going into any more details about that one !

A foray into the transfer market

I went out shopping yesterday, the money that the board have let me have after the Pasanen transfer. I brought in an attacking midfielder to give us more options in the middle of the park. We splashed out £7,000 on the 23 year old Brazilian Rian from non-leaguers Warkaus BK. He’s been in sparkling form this season and is hopefully in a breakout season for his talents. He’s a solid midfield talent for sure but not a signing that’s gone down too well with the public. They think he’ll disrupt dressing room harmony. “You ain’t be from round these parts be ee ?†they might very well have said.

And now for Honka. Away

The next game up was against the aforesaid Honka who were hopefully on the turn after their last game. Scout Juha Lund told me that they have a strong side but one that’s not too good in the air. The bookies told us that Honka, with home advantage, are strong favourites for this game. Ollikainen returned from injury and new signing Rian would also make debut, Joni Lehtonen the unlucky one to lose out.

Honka had the best of the first 45 minutes, truth be told, but there were to be no goals in that period of football as we defended stoutly and forced them to shoot ineffectually from distance. It stayed 0-0 at half time.

I tried at different tack at the break and told the lads that their first half display had disappointed me. They hadn’t really but I’d heard from a colleague that telling them the same thing week after week just left them kind of jaded. And it did appear to be worth a goas they came out in the second period a better, more competitive team. It was, however, Honka who got the breakthrough on the hour mark, a couple of missed tackles and a low shot from the edge of the box and we’re a goal down. We tried to get back into the game but couldn’t manage it. Panchenko missed when well placed but that was as good as it got for us and the game finished 1-0 to the home team. Maybe dropping Lehtonen had been a mistake, but maybe coming away to a team as good as Honka would have proved a problem whatever line up we’d had.

Final Score Honka 1 – 0 PP-70

A good effort but a bad, yet predictable result

Current League Position: Still second, but it’s getting quite tight for second spot

It’s Sunday so there must be a game on

And there is. It’s at home to Rakuunat , a team Juha Lund thinks are capable (coming from him I think that’s an insult), bit one thing he does note is their well organised defence. They lie 11th in the table at the moment and are struggling again this season. Amazingly the bookies have the opposition as slight favourites, what’s all that about ?

I persist with the same side as last time, though I did seriously consider making changes in the midfield and at the back. The game itself opened up with Rakuunat on the attack though their shooting was wayward. We took the lead with our first meaningful attack on 15 minutes, Panchenko guiding the ball home from the edge of the box. Rakuunat came back at us an d equalised soon after with a header from distance that shouldn’t have eluded Peltonen but did. On 25 minutes we were back in front, an incisive through ball by Rian allowed Panchenko to get through on goal where he drew the keeper and slotted the ball home. Within a minute it was 3-1 and Pancheko had completed his hatrick, this time converting a Kotilahti cross from close range.

The rest of the half was a quiet affair compared to that and we went in at 3-1. I told them not to get complacent and sent them back out there. The second half started fairly ordinary and got dull after that. Dull until Rakuunat pulled another one back on the hour, another close range header doing the damage. Shortly after that Rakuunat had a man sent off as Panchenko was brought down when through on goal, harsh in my view as there was cover in the vicinity. Kotilahti’s resultant free kick was well saved. All this didn’t stop Rakuunat equalising on 76 mins as they managed to mount a devastating counter to some pressure form us, get a 2-on-1 break and score past a stranded Peltonen. I swapped Ollikainen for young Carlsson and told the lads to go all out for a winner. On 89 minutes we scored a fourth. Carlsson winning the ball in midfield, feeding Eranen who poked the ball through to allow Panchenko to get his fourth of the game. Winner this proved to be as Rakuunat couldn’t find anything more to give.

Final Score PP-70 4-3 Rakuunat

Closer as a game than I would have liked, but a win’s a win

A cultural interlude

The games seemed to be coming thick and fast, probably because of our lofty position. I was devoting much more of my time to the team and didn't seem to be spending alot with Kaija.

With that in mind I agreed when she suggested I take an afternoon off, Tuesday as it happened, the players didn't have training until the evening and all I would have done otherwise would have been another faield attempt a rewriting the tactical master plan. But instead I was here with the most beautiful woman in Tampere, I was sure of it, and she was taking me to something 'cultural'.

The 'cultural' thing turned out to be the Tampere Art Museum and an exhibition by the Finnish Young Artist Of The Year, Heta Kucha. She works in photographs, moving images and installations. I don't get installations to be honest with you but the photographs certainly were very well done.

I told all this to Kaija.

Heathen !

And a quick delve into the transfer market

I added another youngster to the squad Ville Saxman is a 16 year old forward who scored 23 goals in 26 games for non-league YPA We paid £2000 for him. I think he's going to prove to be a bargin.

Once more unto the breach dear team

An away game against TPV is next up. They are a competent side, but not very good in the air. They lie bottom of the table with only seven games to go however, and might be expected to be playing for their lives right now. Whatever the truth of that the bookies make us strong favourites fro the game.

I made the tricky decision to drop Roger Nielsen who’d been holding down a central defender’s role in recent games and replaced him with Per Arne Gjerdalen. I’m not happy about the number of goals we leak and he was the one player I could recognise as having sub par performances.

Of course this was an away game, but one held within the familiar surroundings of the Tammelan Stadion in Tampere which we shared with TPV. The game itself started as one way traffic. As we, in our changed Blue away strip, pressed for ward from the off. We took until the 22nd minute to open the scoring. Etelemaki sending Panchenko away down the left flank,. He centred to find Eranen six yards out and unmarked. One – nil. TPV strived to get back into the game but we defended really well, I’m pleased to say, and limited them to shots from distance that they struggled to get on target. We had less forward thrust for the rest of the period and at half time it stayed 1-0.

A word or two of encouragement (actually telling them not to dare let this one slip) and I sent them back out for the second period. And we were right up against it. How they failed to equalise on 53 minutes I’ll never know, beating Peltonen all ends up only to see Gjerdalen clear the ball from under the posts. It was against the run of play that we got our second on 66 minutes as the TPV defender let the ball go over his head on the half way line, allowing Panchenko to run clear, draw the keeper then square the ball to allow Eranen his second. A fine, unselfish, goal. TPV came again but had to wait until 83 minutes to get a goal, their continual pressure had deserved one, and here their striker met a cross unmarked giving Peltonen no chance. It was too little too late, and we closed out the game.

Final Score: TPV 1-2 PP-70

A solid win. Just what was needed, and a better performance from the defence too

Current League Position : 2nd. Now solidly second

Only six games to go. This is number six

We conducted a bit more business in the week leading up to the game. We signed 23 year old right back Robert Dahm for £2000 from Swedish side Rynninge. Right back is a bit of an issue for us this year so more competition there has to be a good thing.

The game itself was at home to mid-table KPV. Juha Lund thinks quite highly of them saying they have a hard working midfield and quick attack. We are, not surprisingly really, made favourites for this clash. Dahm goes straight in for Sivohnen and Uoti gets another go in the middle as Timo Valkeapaa serves a one match ban for five yellows.

The first half started with KPV applying the pressure but without making much impression. We didn’t put together a decent attack until the half hour, but when we did we scored, Panchenko applying the finish after good interplay between him, Eranen and Kotilahti. KPV tried harder for the rest of the half but other than one routine Peltonen save it was all fairly tame stuff.

1-0 at halftime and I confirmed to the boys that I needed them to refocus their efforts on the second half. Instead of doing that we fell apart. KPV scored twice, on 68 and 81, but could have had more. Gjerdalen was appalling and I took him off after the second goal, which was his fault. Uoti was sent off for a professional foul at 2-1 down, and it was a generally shocking display.

Final Score PP-70 1-2 KPV

Shock and Awe. Both shocking and appalling

Current League Position : 2nd but now only three points ahead of Honka

Worry. Why should I go on and worry ?

The game against KPV had been nothing short of a disaster. Before the game we had looked set for second place in the league and the playoff spot for the top division that goes with it. After the game, whilst still being in second, we looked decidedly precarious, and in danger of coming away from the season with nothing to show for it.

The question was how was I going to ensure that the feared slide did not happen. The defence could do with strengthening, perhaps ? I could revisit the tactical solution but short of returning to a flat 4-4-2 I couldn't see what else , sensibly, to do. Maybe that was the point, though. Perhaps simplifying what I asked the boys to do was the answer.

The more I thought about it, the better the idea became. A move back to basics would put the onus on the skills of our squad of players, and that was something, especially in forward areas, that I was prepared to bet alot on.

Happier with my lot than I had been for a number of hours I resolved to put this notion in action on the training field, starting tonight. We had six more days to the next game, hopefully that will be enough time.

Until training, though, I could think about other things. Like the work, for Nokia, that I was supposed to be doing that Monday morning, and where Kaija would be taking me for lunch.

A quick word, Tristan.

One evening, in the week running up to the next match, club chairman Pentti Kainulainen called me into his office.

Pennti Kainulainen (PK) : "Tristan, How are you ? Do sit down. Cup of Tea ?"

Tristan Langley (TL) : "Thanks, don't mind if I do. You wanted to see me ?"

PK: "Yes. Look, Tristan, I won't beat around the bush. The board are very pleased with the league position and the club's financial situation, and although it's not the end of the season yet we'd like to reward you with a new contract."

TL: "Thanks, that sounds great."

PK. "It's until 2009 and we'll increase your wage to £120 per week. It'll still be part-time, so you don't need to give up the day job, you'll have a wage budget of £3.7K per annum and we can give you a transfer kitty of £130,000. What do you say ?"

I have to admit I didn't think about it for long. The transfer budget was the money I'd brought in with the sale of Pasanen, but at least I'd be able to keep it. And whilst still not being a fortune £120 did represent a 20% pay rise. The fact I was being offered it now was a real complement, and also if you thought about it quite crafty. Still, I hadn't acheived anything of what I wanted to achieve at PP-70 yet, so the answer had to be...

Tristan Langley : "Thanks very much, where do I sign ?"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by axeman:

Congrats on the contract extension mate icon_smile.gif

Looks like you'll be staying there for quite a while yet icon_biggrin.gificon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Also from me congrats on the new contract. Curious if you make it to Veikausliga this season.

Im back from Italy and here at home it looks like in Sibir icon_wink.gif 1,15 m snow and still more to come icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">1,15 m snow and still more to come </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, kind of puts the one and a half inches we had in Northwich at the weekend to shame !

Cheers, United, and you guys too, Loeffle and axeman

Some recognition for one of the lads

Ahead of the next game, away at VPS, I received news that the Finnish First Division Player of the Month for August was none other than our own Sergiy Panchenko. He had certainly put in a good set of performances over the month and was good value for the prize.

As for VPS themselves Juha Lund reckons them to be a competent side with a potent attacking threat. They lie 8th in the division with 31 points, which is only 7 less than us in second spot. The bookies have VPS as 4-6 favourites, with us as 7-2 outsiders. Does league position count for nothing ?

I dropped Gjerdalen like a hot potato, and Uoti had to serve his one match ban so Valkeapaa returns in the heart of defence, and young Vesala a chance beside him. Lehtonen a more defensively minded player replaces Rian in the midfield.

The game started off scrappy and degenerated from there. VPS probably had the edge, but both sides had chances. But in reality it was no more than VPS deserved when they scored after 32 minutes, a cross from the left headed home from close range. We failed to get much of a head of steam up in trying to

I asked the team for a lot more in terms of effort and application in the second half. And I now think I know better than to do this again as once again we leaked goals and failed to score ourselves. Two more goals were let in in the course of that 45 minutes and though we made chances our finishing was wayward. Another disappointing game.

Final Score VPS 3-0 PP-70

Anaemic in front of goal, and slack at the back, surely we won’t lose it now.

Current League Position: 2nd, but only on goal difference

A home game. Time to stop the rot ?

Seven days on and SalPa are the visitors. They lie in 8th spot, which is far higher than anyone imagined pre-season. Juha Lund reckons they are capable with at least one decent attacker. We are marked as the favourites for a change, and that’s good as the bookies haven’t got much wrong in recent weeks.

Mikkola comes in up front as Panchenko picked up a knock in training during the week. That’s a shame as the Ukrainian had been doing well, and what’s worse is that the injury is quite nasty, badly bruised ribs, and he may be doubtful for the next game too.

In truth we were up against it for much of the match. The lads looked nervous and tentative and SalPa took advantage by putting us under pressure. We took the lead on 38 minutes, very much against the run of play Lehtonen scoring with a rasping 30 yard drive on a rare foray forward. SalPa equalised on 43 minutes after Etelemaki at left back was caught out of position, allowing the SalPa man time and space to cross, picking out his centre forward, who headed home from close in.

1-1 at half time and though disappointed I tried not to communicate that to the players. I did make a couple of changes Kotilahti looked tired and Eranen had picked up a minor knock that was troubling him, so they both came off to be replaced by Laitinen and new signing Saxman.

The second half was more SalPa pressure but as the game wore on we became a little more adventurous. Just as the game seemed to be slipping away into a draw we pulled a miracle goal out of the football hat as Mikkola dinked a Dahm cross from deep over the head of the oncoming keeper with a first time flick. The ball nestled in the bottom left hand corner. 2-1 up and 86 minutes gone. We shut up shop then, or at least tried to, as Peltonen produced two more good saves to secure the three points. Honka won also and gained one on us in the GD stakes, but we stay second, now only four goals ahead of our rivals on 41 points.

Final Score PP-70 2-1 SalPa

Back on track we hope

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chesterfan2:

Honka won also and gained one on us in the GD stakes, but we stay second, now only four goals ahead of our rivals on 41 points.

Final Score PP-70 2-1 SalPa

Back on track we hope

Current League Position: 2nd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How many games left?

Loeffle, Three, of which this is one

Hopefully, a time to stand up and be counted

There wasn’t much time for a personal life at the moment, but being a PP-70 fan herself, Kaija was very understanding. All that might go out of the window though should we lose 2nd spot and the playoff that went with it. Today’s game saw us visit our perennial rivals P-Iirot. I know that nothing would please their manager more than to beat us. I’d hope that would rile us a bit. Juha Lund gives them his standard rating of “capable†and notes they have a pacy attack and potent wingers. The bookies make the very narrow favourites which I hoped we could overturn. Meanwhile Kotiahti had made a statement to the press exhorting the players to produce their best today. This was the kind of action I liked to see the players getting involved in.

I brought in Hammalianen for his first start as Eranen was out injured, Panchenko wasn’t quite back to full fitness, but did make the bench, and Saxman still rates as one for the future in my book.

The first half was a tense affair but one that P-Iirot certainly had the best of. They created more, worked our keeper more than we did theirs and, all-in-all we were quite fortunate to come in at half time still level. In the other game that mattered to us Honka had come from two early goals down to be 2-2 at TPV at half time. At the half Mikkola was struggling with an injury so I took a chance and put the half fit Panchenko on for 45 minutes.

The second half pretty much belonged to P-Iirot as well but as hard as they tried, and they did try hard they couldn’t break down our defence. Peltonen was outstanding in goal. Midway through the half and with news that Honka had taken a 3-2 lead I took off the ineffectual Hamalaienen and replaced him with Saxman. I told the boys to go out and attack. And to their credit they did. Just as it all looked like it was slipping away Ville Saxman scored his first goal for the club, a rasping drive from just inside the box, in the 92nd minute to give us an undeserved 1-0 win.

Final Score P-Iirot 0-1 PP-70

Task one of three completed successfully

Current League Position: 2nd, goal difference as before.

Archived