[FM16] Airdrieonians: The Diamonds In The Rough

JD nawrat

Airdrieonians_FC_logo.png

As I've posted elsewhere, my laptop breaking has meant that my Building Berlin save has been retired, and I'm now seeking a new challenge. So a bit of background on the team I've chosen and why: quite simply, I am from Airdrie and these are my local team. I live 3 minutes from the Excelsior Stadium and despite not being a fan of the club (and to be quite honest, I consider fierce rivals Albion Rovers (who, admittedly, are only 2 miles from where I live) to be more of my 'hometown team' as I saw them many times growing up), I have grown up around them. They're a club with a lot of history, despite only being formed in 2002.

Originally formed in 1878 as Airdrieonians FC (commonly referred to as Airdrie, the town from which they hail), or "The Diamonds" - due to the distinctive red diamond on their white shirts - Airdrie won the Scottish Championship (then known as the Scottish First Division) four times, been runners-up in the SPFL (then known as the Scottish Football League) four times, won the Scottish Cup once in their history and lost in the final on another three occasions. They've also suffered a liquidation and a reformation of a club, firstly coming back in 2002 as Airdrie United, before being renamed to Airdrieonians later.

As well as being known as the Diamonds, Airdrie have been called the luckiest club in history, as they have avoided relegation three times due to other clubs' misfortunes, which is ironic given their previous with club liquidations and financial problems.

Based in the third tier of Scottish football - Scottish League One - Airdrie play at a semi-professional level and frequently have yoyo'd between the Scottish Championship and League One, where they have been stuck for two seasons now, finishing 6th and 5th respectively.

The task? To promote them back to the Championship, turn them professional and eventually take them into the SPL and all that lies ahead, hopefully winning some silverware along the way. With FM17 being a few months away, I plan on doing as much as possible with the Diamonds as I can before eventually moving on. So this will be a one club save, if you hadn't figured that out by now :D

Airdrieonians_FC_logo.png

I haven't managed a semi-pro team on FM for a long, long time, so I'm gonna have to take a while to get used to how things work around this for a season or two until I can get that professional status :D I haven't managed in Scotland for a while now. Despite being Scottish, it's not a nation I have much love for in terms of club football, and on FM especially I have no real desire to manage there, but I feel this could make for a fun and interesting challenge... For now though, here's a gander at the club's history and my player profile, to show I'm not taking the mick with player experience.

F3F785A66DC7C6D50D910B6C6D91573AED2309F2

D6B70D53DBA91A9DEA6EA2760B56010C56F11FC9

Archived