[FM16] Sevilla - ...Best Served Cold

ManUtd1

I will hurt you for this. I don't know how yet, but give me time.

A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes

in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid.

Mv0966t.jpg

May 17, 2016.

The eyes of the footballing world are on Manchester, as rumors swirl of the imminent sacking of Dutch manager Louis van Gaal. He has underwhelmed and underperformed for years, dragging a once-all-conquering club to a dismal 5th place finish in the League and early exits in all Cup competitions. This is the final straw. It is not good enough. Van Gaal is out. A once proud manager left to ponder the fickle twists of fate.

4UfR3xZ.png

Yet even Louis himself must rue the fate of his Assistant Manager. Ryan Giggs, a one-man club for his entire professional career. A United legend of unsurpassed footballing ability who has seemed destined to take the reins of his club. Many clamored for his appointment in 2014, when David Moyes left United in disgrace. Now, the calls grow louder for his appointment. For the Welsh savior to once again stalk to the touchline and will United to victory.

Surely, his time has come. Whispers abound that when van Gaal was appointed, Giggs was promised the job upon his departure. Yet, no one foresaw the 2 years that followed. 2 years of turmoil. Anger. Frustration. Chaos. Surely, now is not the time to appoint the romantic choice, the man who might be United's savior but has a managerial CV the length of a child's nursery rhyme. Is it?

June 4, 2016.

The rumors prove true. Red hearts are broken across Manchester and beyond. The romantics have lost out. Instead of appointing Giggs, the club has made a startling move, luring Unai Emery from Sevilla who took them to three straight Europa League victories. A man who some pundits claim is the "next big thing," having achieved so much already. What, the pundits ask, could he accomplish with the resources of United?

RGgUKYf.png

The slight to Giggs does not go unnoticed. Fan protests abound against the Glazers and their weak frontman, Woodward. Giggs is equally shocked. Yet, his sense of loyalty prevents him from leaving or undermining the new manager. Surely, he thinks, this Spaniard will struggle in the Premier League, leaving him the only viable option. Yet, doubt turns to fear in the early days of the season.

Even the protests are silenced as Giggs' worst fears come to life before his eyes. United run rampant. Emery's Red & White Army bring home the 2016/17 Premier League, the 2017 FA Cup and nearly the Europa League, with Emery named Manager of the Year.

4uILGOr.png

And with that, the writing is on the wall. The decision cannot be delayed any longer. It has been forced upon him. Passed over not once, but twice. A successful, manager sitting in the seat many believe to be his by right, basking in the most successful United season since Sir Alex Ferguson's departure.

Giggs decides. To set off on his own. To create a legacy away from the only club he has ever known.

To make United regret their lack of faith.

All by myself...don't wanna be...

2017/18 Pre-Season

So, here I am. Passed over for the only job I truly want. Away from United for the time in decades. Working without a net.

vXbkIq8.png

While the prospect of applying for the City position is appealing for sheer banter, no self-respecting Red could do that.

*cough* I'm looking at you, Hughes.

Nor could I tolerate seeing a "Welcome to Manchester" billboard akin to that celebrating Tevez's defection.

However...the Sevilla post is tempting. A quality side. In my favorite city in the world. In a top league, where my close friend Gary Neville has enjoyed substantial success (2 consecutive top 4 finishes and the 2017 Copa del Rey). There is also the poetic opportunity to take Sevilla to domestic and European glory, eclipsing the feats of Emery...the man who United deemed more qualified to lead United. And perhaps the chance to usurp United itself...

Sevilla also sees an opportunity...to land a top-class name, whom many once believed was destined for glory as a manger...but is untested, and was passed over repeatedly by those who know him best.

The interview passes smoothly, as the club agrees with my plan to emphasize the recruitment and development of youth prospects, and to play exciting, attacking football.

Less than two-weeks later, the deal is signed. I am home.

sdr56fh.png

Next: 2017/18 Sevilla Squad Analysis & Pre-Season

Archived